Let's have a that guy thread

I'll start. This was a rwby campaign for pathfinder. The DM gave us shitty homebrew classes, and fucked my backstory without telling me

Also in the party was a green haired chick whose name sounded like "maniac", a disgusting squirrel-kin who was played by a greasy guy who read too much deadpool, a minmaxed multimillionaire engineer with a shotgun for an arm, and a literally immortal dmpc who was made of grey goo.

I had to miss a few sessions and the DM let the squirrel molest my character while he was in the hospital

>RWBY campaign for pathfinder.
When I can name half a dozen better systems for running over-the-top fighting anime waifus, why the fuck would anyone choose the worst possible system?

Op here. It was fucking mechanically disgusting

also it was the regular kind of disgusting bc weeb shit

Pathfinder is great for fantasy games, desu.
Just not for MAGICAL REALM anime garbage.

Also, OP, why did you agree to this.

That sounds fucking terrible.

>This was a rwby campaign for pathfinder.
So was "that guy" another player, the DM for running it, or you for playing it?

It was directly tied to approximately 6 months of mistakes, probably one of the least bad ones

That's the joke, user. They were ALL That Guy.

And when everybody's That Guy...

The dm was a fucking monster for facilitating it, and the players were awful. There were a couple fun folks, my buddy was playing a robot who wanted to understand love, but he ditched the game because it was a screaming underarm tumor of an experience

agreed

have your gm heard of fucking EXALTED????? (second edition)
make a dragon blooded campaign and slap a coating of rwby paint on that. thousand time more appropriate than pathfinder

You are one too.

No, because clearly Pathfinder is the best and most balanced system for everything.

>even playing in a fucking rwby game
terminal levels of cancer right there son

>pathfinder
there is no hope, sterilise the site from orbit
This is before even going into the players, just so you know how much of a shitshow this is

The whole thing was the dm's fanfiction so we spent half the time on the dmpc's bullshit storyline about having escaped from a lab or something

Pretty tame compared to other That Guy stories, but fuck you I just want to bitch.

Have recently had a long break from our current campaign due to our group having conflicting schedules recently. This has unfortunately lead to the closest thing we have to a That Guy trying to fill the void in other ways.
>"Hey user you should watch Harmonquest it's pretty good"
>Give a couple vague "mhm thas nice responses" because I just assume it's some new shitty anime he's found and he'll get bored after shilling it for a few days and shut up as per usual
>"Hey guys. Harmonquest is fucking hilarious we need to watch it."
>"Guys. Harmonquest"
>"Guys."
>"Guys."
>"H A R M O N Q U E S T"
>finally say fuck it and take the bait
>"Okay so what is this show?"
>It's one of the creators of Rick and Morty playing Pathfinder with random celebrities
>mfw

Other than his shitty taste in comedy he's pretty tolerable to play with, but fuck me I don't want to have to listen to references of this autism or have to watch it any time we get together.

Not gonna lie, I kept reading that as HarmoKnight

Also, did you try outright telling him that you weren't interested?

I like Harmonquest. It's not really good if you want to see people play a proper RPG but there's some good improv. Some guests are way better than others though. Thomas Middleditch and Kumail Nanjaini were great but everyone else ranged from okay to terrible.

It sucks that guy won't stop bugging you about it.

>Also, did you try outright telling him that you weren't interested?
Annoyingly he gets bizarrely defensive over shit like that, and so any attempt at trying to change the subject just gets retardedly escalated. Regardless there's five us and everyone else is either a fan of it or at least not bothered by it enough to care. Like I said it's nothing incredibly disruptive in the grand scheme of things, it's more stuff that just personally annoys me so generally I just grin and bear it because I don't want to end up being That Guy myself over something that's relatively innocuous.

I dunno why but I can't get into Harmonquest. I like Adventure Zone, it kind of feels more like if a game I was running went off the rails into goofytown, but something about Harmonquest just doesn't click with me.

>Some guests are way better than others though
I only watched the first episode, and while I tried to keep an open mind and give them the benefit of the doubt (I wasn't really familiar with a lot of the people on it) it felt less "lol so randumb" and more like they genuinely didn't know what the fuck they were doing/supposed to be doing. I'm not very anal about rules and stuff but it just seemed like most of them just showed up with no clear idea about what they were playing or how to play it.

Granted a lot of the first guests just seemed autistic in general though, so maybe it gets better latter on in that regard.

Would it be ok to just watch the parts with them in it? I like Harmontown but the rpg stuff was eh for me

>rwby

You literally could have just typed "rwby game" and we'd all know it was a that guy game.

>Flgs has a warhammer saturday
>Go there and play against a Tau player
>Turn 1 my drop pod comes down with a squad full of gravcannons and wipes his riptide
>He immediately concedes and storms off
>After only losing a single model
>I'm left standing there with a dumbfounded look on my face.
The fuck is wrong with some people?

Yeah it gets really awkward when thomas middleditch comes on with his own dice and the rest of them are confused why he's rolling his own dice.

I feel bad for the DM running pathfinder for them when just about anything lighter would have worked better

I dunno man. We have a guy in our Flgs who buys and paints models but never plays because "I don't want to see my guys die"
People are fucking weird man.

Let me tell you all about the WORST character backstory I've ever seen. This was from a game of Mage: The Awakening.
>"When I was a child, I really liked plants."
>"One day, I saw some kids stomping on some flowers."
>"This made me so mad, I summoned a lightening bolt from the sky, and accidentally hit some planes, which crashed into the World Train Center!"
>Almost every other mage was a 9/11 orphan
>He though this shit together AFTER everyone else had told him this

Wait. So you're saying some asshole jokingly incorporated 9/11 into his backstory knowing that most of the people he was playing with lost someone in 9/11?

Or am I reading that last part wrong?

Yes, that's a bit off. I might not have made it clear enough, sorry.

We were going around the table telling how each of us awakened (awoke?), and most of us didn't care about the story and just wanted to play, so 9/11 seemed like a good thing to fall back on. But then Today's Subject thought "I'll just cause 9/11, cause that's fucking hilarious!"
None of us had actually lost anyone to the Twin Towers indecent.
He wasn't that bad when actually got playing though. Came up with a plan to fry an enemy mage in a super conductor.

>None of us had actually lost anyone to the Twin Towers indecent
Oh. So he wasn't an ass, just retarded.

Still though. What the fuck.

>This was a rwby campaign for pathfinder.

>We have a guy in our Flgs who buys and paints models but never plays because "I don't want to see my guys die"

That's not weird, that's adorably wholesome.

I'm new to ttrpgs so I've only really played 5e D&D. Is Pathfinder particularly shitty or are most of you just reacting to the RWBY part?

>Is Pathfinder particularly shitty or are most of you just reacting to the RWBY part?

Both, user. Both.

I don't think sessions can easily be parsed into half hour blocks while also allowing a guest to get their feet. Especially if the guest is not returning on the next segment.

The best parts of RWBY are the fast-paced fight scenes, which would be hard to recreate in a crunchy system like Pathfinder. The aforementioned Exalted would be better, or perhaps a similar, free form system akin to Star Wars: Edge of The Empire.

Absolutely delightful.

>The best parts of RWBY

RWBY is 100% shit though.

A bit of both, sort of. At least for me. Pathfinder is only "good" when playing a high-fantasy game. (And really only mediocre at that). It does Monsters and Magic well enough, but lacks the breadth necessary for RWBY.

RWBY requires a system that is generally loose with it's own rules (like BESM), where rule of cool can outweigh crunch, or is specifically set up for high-flying anime fun (Like Anima or Exalted). Even Mutants and Masterminds or GURPS can emulate RWBY better than PF.

I (thankfully) don't have anyone that could really be considered bad enough to be That Guy, but there's one guy in my group whose general aesthetic really triggers my autism.

>Uses names from Destiny instead of making his own
>Chaotic Neutralâ„¢
>"I want to be a paladin, but like some atheist paladin who doesn't follow anyone or anything."
>We decide to play a pretty vanilla campaign for our first game, just so we can familiarize ourselves with the basic mechanics before we get too crazy
>Immediately ditches the paladin idea right as we start and decides to play some weird "Rune-blade" homebrew he pulled out of his ass in spite of the previous point
>General reddit-tier autism

All in all nothing particularly awful or disruptive, but fuck me it's hard to bite my tongue sometimes.

Also my group is bizarrely adverse to actually doing anything that isn't directly thrown at them by the DM (In the sense of just sitting in the tavern doing nothing instead of actually looking around town or something). Although in their defense I'll just chalk that up to them being new to ttrpgs.

What about Storyteller's fights, which are lethal and have everything going on at once?

>Is Pathfinder particularly shitty
It really isn't, it has its flaws but nothing a good group can't overcome. Veeky Forums is full of fanboys of other games and autists who don't understand that different people like different things, though, and they get really butthurt whenever it's mentioned.

>my group is bizarrely adverse to actually doing anything that isn't directly thrown at them by the DM (In the sense of just sitting in the tavern doing nothing instead of actually looking around town or something
That's failure at the character design level. The characters they've created are not people. They might be Bards and Paladins, but the're not people, they don't have hobbies, they don't have tastes, they don't have plans, other than the ones demanded by merits/flaws..

Superficial characters.Probably made around a "cool idea". Throw them in a restaurant. Ask what they'll have to eat. What them panic. Older players are usually better at improvising these, but most players will just have no idea what their characters should eat, let alone what they'll do if there's nothing going on.[

I always include a short questionnaire with every Lore sheet my players wish to fill which asks a lot of these silly questions like "what does your character do on his free time?" and it's really good at identifiying Mary Sues and One Trick Ponies. Sucks that few plaers decide to do something about, even when shown to themselves.

Well, tr to have one good player with a good character design on the group. Have everyone look at how these kinds of characters go out and make their own adventures. It's amazing.

Pathfinder is a fine system if you're running the sort of game Pathfinder is designed for. There's plenty of hate for it on Veeky Forums but it's still plenty popular.

A lot of people will play Pathfinder to the exclusion of everything else, however, which can become a problem when they also want to play in a setting like RWBY as Pathfinder just isn't designed for those sorts of high-flying adventures.

>Older players are usually better at improvising these
I'm hoping it's more a symptom of just being new at the game instead of a lasting issue. Only one of us (and I'm guilty of this too, I'll admit) had something approaching a solid backstory, but I still feel like you'd WANT to try interacting a little more with stuff even if you don't have a definitive "predisposition" to guide you.

>Throw them in a restaurant. Ask what they'll have to eat. What them panic.
Hilariously after getting sick of sitting in the tavern for five turns with my thumb up my ass, I grabbed the party dwarf and physically drug him outside with me to go find something to do.

As the op who played in the campaign, i can say they're both disgusting, and when combined it's like if voltron was made of five hitlers

It's going to be fine. He'll treat her like any other player, or even be harder on her because he doesn't want to be accused of favoritism.

Or it won't be. I dunno, man, I'm not fucking psychic. And neither are you.

>Has anyone played a game where the GM brings in someone they're dating? How did it go?

>DM is very no nonsense, at least when it comes to "lol so randum xDDD" shit
>His girlfriend is "lol so randum xDDD" personified
Part of me wants to know how that would go down, part of me would rather not have to deal with it.

Of the two in my group who are dating, neither's girlfriend lives near enough to habitually play so it solves itself.

>Pathfinder is a fine system if you're running the sort of game Pathfinder is designed for.

"Alright, so you all were anime protagonists sent into the world of Golarion due to a loli trickster god wanting to fuck you. John is playing a gnoll gunslinger, Jim is playing a gnome cumslinger, and Sunshine will be debuting xir tiefling who can control blood like Gaara from Naruto. My genderfluid friend-with-benefits will be playing a 10-year-old drow assassin who was raped to death and brought back to life through the spirit of a demon that was trapped in her grandfather's katana. You all meet in a brothel."

Jokes on you, the discipline is part of their foreplay.
>Kill me now

Can you post the questionnaire? That sounds genius

I weep for humanity.

>Jokes on you, the discipline is part of their foreplay
Incidentally the other's girlfriend seems sensible enough to play with, but holy hellfuck I don't want to deal with the constant forehead kisses and general false-bravado sperginess that would induce in him.

I'm not sure what I'm more afraid of, the fact that you had this idea; or the fact that somewhere in the world someone unironically played a game like this.

That must have been fun as fuck to write

>fun as fuck to write
But at what cost? What sort of eldritch horrors did user have to consort with to attain such abhorrent knowledge?

I want to play this, unironically

unironically kill yourself

No, my mere existence makes you suffer, and this fuels my hedonic engine