Have you ever stopped going to a play group because you just despised the people who played with you?

Have you ever stopped going to a play group because you just despised the people who played with you?

I just had this happen to me tonight. I was driving to a friend's house to play MTG when, all of the sudden, I realized something:

Out of the 4 other people that usually come, I only really like 1 of them. Everyone else is annoying, immature and are terrible at magic.

This really surprised me for a lot of reasons (I'm not one to look down on people and be a jerk), but after thinking about it for a little bit I realized that they are frustrating to be around and that I win all of the time because I actually build my decks properly and don't suck at the game.

I've tried brewing with them so they can see how to do it. I've excused their childish behavior and tolerated their inflated egos. But I'm done playing with people that I am sick of being around.

Now I'm alone in my house, doing nothing because it's better than being around imbeciles.

Am I a bad person for thinking this way? Am I "that guy" for being bored of winning all of the time?

>Have you ever stopped going to a play group because you just despised the people who played with you?

This is pretty much the reason I take so many breaks from Veeky Forums.

No, it just means you have self control and aren't a thirst lord.

Remember user, No Game is better than a Bad Game

trust me, i have no game and i WISH i had a "bad" game to to have. to me, games are better than no game. im thirsty as fuck

a weak-willed nu male grew some balls and stopped hanging out with people who make him unhappy

this is surely worth an entire thread

No Game > Bad Game

No, this is normal. You shouldn't surround yourself with people you don't sincerely enjoy spending time with.

It's unrelated to Veeky Forums but I made this realization a few months ago with my old high school friends. I just stopped answering in our messenger's group for a few days to see if they would notice it. Weeks turned into months until I actually moved out of my parent's house. All of them (except the one guy I actually liked to talk with) never bothered to contact me for news or to meet up. I'm not mad about that tough. I just saw that I was stuck in this toxic relationship with awful peoples that only think about themselves.

Just hang out with people you like OP. Don't bother with people that aren't willing to put any efforts in a friendship or in spending quality time with.

You're being a bit of a dick by just not showing up, but otherwise it sounds like you've become bored due to their lower skill levels and have outgrown their humor, which is natural. At this point, its about time you say upfront that you don't really like their jokes/gameplay ability and cut all ties, subtly drop hints on how to get better and act like an adult, or lie and tell them you can't hang out because you have to do a thing.

Why don't you murder them instead?

>only friend that plays mtg is a bit of a dick
>Constantly criticises while knowing I'm new, not understanding how to be constructive
>Does the whole "I won't kill you yet" toying shit
Reeee

I will never understand this. It's at its worst in Magic, but I've seen it in Warhammer, vidya, even fucking DnD, an ostensibly cooperative game.
>community benefits from more players
>invite new players to play
>teach them the basics
>talk mad shit
>crush new players repeatedly
>they don't want to play anymore
>bitch at them for being sore losers
>later bitch about 30 minute queue times

There it is, they did it again last night. They pull stupid pranks and ruin other people propriety out of boredom, not caring about consequences and Im left there standing, waiting for them to stop so that I can clean up. Im really getting tired of their behavior, but Im the only one in a group of 7. Im a autistic? Is my sense of justice too big? Or the fault lies on them?

They don't listen to me, I don't really know what to do. They are my close friends and gaming ones too, but I can't forgive them for their actions.

>do extensive training behind his back
>when you play with him pretend to still be incompetent
>slowly build up mad skill
>if you can watch some games of his to see how he plays/how good he actually is
>once you're good enough, challenge him to a public match in front of some friends or something
>beat him, he doesn't know your true power level so you have the advantage
>after you win laugh, mock him, humiliate him, tell your friends you're a total amateur
>cut all ties with the asshole

It's the only way user.

I think once destruction of property starts to get involved it's time to cut your losses.

Breaking other people stuff is a big nono in my book. Tell them to pay for it/repair it, or cut them out of your life

Don't hang with dudes that break someone's shit for fun. That's only gonna end badly for you the second they mess with the wrong person

Nobody likes a thirsty ass nigga who doesn't even know what he wants. Honestly, take up a tertiary hobby that you really enjoy (outside of tabletop, obviously) and then try meeting up with other people who have a similar interest.

Then, if you decide to get back into tabletop, ask the people that you've met if they play and then convince them to give it a shot.

I'm a resident poorfag, so I can only afford to make a big purchase ($60+) once every month or so. So if some dude broke my shit, I'd be pretty pissed off, especially if they were laughing about it.

Yes, but more specifically because I couldn't stand the DM rather than the other players. And while I didn't like his way of running games (constantly forgetting and making up new ones on the spot is one thing, but this dude would literally forget his own rulings five minutes after he'd made them and come up with new ones and always do everything he could to make the players' plans that circumvented the way he had planned for us to deal with the problem as ineffective as possible) it had just as much to do with me not standing him as a person. Normally the latter wouldn't be much of a problem for me, but I happened to be his roommate at the time, and this guy would get high and drunk (on my alcohol!) in the middle of the week and then spend the entire evening talking about politics to me when all I wanted to do was play video games or watch a movie after a long day at work.

When I finally managed to find my own place I left the gaming group and never looked back. I have only seen the guy like once since and I didn't even speak a word to him at the time.

Even if you aren't poor there's no reason for you to just accept that someone else breaks your shit. I mean, fine if it's a one time accident. Shit happens. But some people literally break shit all the time, and those guys have no fucking business being upset when I say "no, you can't borrow this because it's fucking expensive and you don't take care about my things."

I've been ostracised from a group by that guy because I was the one to call him out when he was being shitty.

It was vindicating later on when some of them approached me to apologize, turned out he'd made an enemy of everyone else and drove them away not long after they'd dropped me.

>Have you ever stopped going to a play group because you just despised the people who played with you?
I mean yeah, the people you're around form like 50-70% of the experience you have roleplaying. If they're shitty, you're not likely to have a good time.

Just try looking for better gaming groups. This isn't some Sisyphean catch-22 like dating: you can just talk to people like a regular person and get into games. It isn't that hard.

I hope you told them to fuck off and cut ties with them still.

Kill them. Kill them all.

We call this leveling up.

If you can't forgive their actions, they're not really your friends. Cut them out of your life and if they ask why, tell them the truth.

>Different groups in the area
>One group in particular stands out
>Three guys I knew in high school at different years
>"Knew", as in knew they existed
>All three have physically aged, but mentally they're at the level of ten-year-olds
>They're constantly cracking the same jokes repeatedly, over and over
>They develop obsessions with settings and such to an extent that it's almost all they ever talk about
>The other groups had to threaten the trio with legal action if they didn't fuck off
>For whatever reason they home in on me

What the fuck, I've told them I'm not interested in them repeatedly. It got to the point where I've actually had to grab a stick and smash one of them over the head to get them to fuck off. I haven't seen them in a while, so I hope they got the message.

What the fuck, user

You are not obliged to spend your free time the way you don't enjoy - just don't be dick about it.

I really despise people who use reddit spacing. But yeah I get that feel OP, sorry your friends are terrible at magic. Are they timmies or just overall shit?

>whale

I really despise people who use the term reddit spacing.

Do you know what a fucking paragraph is? Give me one reason that """reddit spacing""' is bad besides
>muh leddit
It organized things way better and improves readability. Sometimes it's used badly, when people separate each sentence into a paragraph, but even then, how does it hurt you? If it helps them organize their thoughts better, who cares?

Why aren't there any details in this story? Can you give us some examples?

Reddit spacing doesn't exist. There are many reasons to despise Reddit. Stop making up ones that aren't real.

That is exactly the reason I quit MTG OP. That game just seems to attract the worst sort of people. I can bare with the rest of the game even as EDH is consistently enjoyable, but the players are as immature and annoying as you pointed out.

Fucking miserable in vidya. If you can't shut your piehole about noobs, you don't deserve to play with vets.

>despise people who use reddit spacing
And I despise fuckoff walls of text that could be made pleasant with a handful of enter hits.

I suppose this means war.

...so Veeky Forums is communist?

>reddit spacing

You know, it's a shame you think the way they play the game is wrong and bad, but you also don't have to force yourself to play with them either. Honestly they probably talk shit about you when you aren't there and how you're so tryhard and keep telling them how to play and what to build instead of being casual. Putting the shoe on the other foot should make you realize you're just a bad fit for each other and honestly, you're both to blame for letting it get this bad. You should have left or they should have kicked you a long time ago.

Not him but dealing with casuals who have a big ego is some of the worst shit ever.

They know just enough about the game to build a deck that runs off of a simple theme, but not enough to realize the inherent flaws with their decks, such as them adding too many cards with no reliable means of searching for what they need, adding too many lands or not enough, using creatures that don't synergize with each other, etc.

And if you beat them or give them advice, they always make you feel like a tryhard for actually trying to win in a competitive game, even when you offer to help them improve their decks, which is usually about as simple as fixing the mana curve and giving them cards that perform the same effect at a cheaper cost.

Being casual is one thing, but don't sit down to a competition without having at least some desire to win, it just wastes everyone else's time and makes it so you never improve as a player.

More players means more casuals, which means more idiots who can't be arsed to remember even the most basic shit about the game and expect to be spoonfed by everyone around them because they just want to win and earn nerd cred.

I have no issue with newbies entering the hobby, in fact I welcome it, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to hold back on them because doing so ultimately gives them a poor expectation of how the hobby is supposed to work.

Not to mention, the most effective way to learn anything is to fail over and over and over again until you learn something and make it a bit further, so me taking it easy on newbies is just doing us both a disservice.

Veeky Forums is anonymous. In communist places, everyone is equal whether or not they want to be. Veeky Forums is meritorious.

You do realize that making competitive decks and playing with them casually is fucking ass?

MtG is at it's finest as a tournament game, other than that it's an awful game, where either all have competitive decks and games are awful or everyone has casual decks and games are awful.

Yes.

I quit a group because two of the players were just obnoxious South Park shitheads.

>I've actually had to grab a stick and smash one of them over the head to get them to fuck off.
user, that's assault.

And?

/Thread

>assault
Try battery, since it connected. If he missed then it would have been assault

>hassle someone repeatedly
>they whack you upside the head with a stick because you won't fuck off
>go to the police about it
user, they're not females.