Titan Halls

Give me your best concepts for an overworld that is completely encompassed by giant-made architecture, functioning as a palace or city for divine titans with utilities not designed for human scale users.

Other urls found in this thread:

realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/titanic.shtml
nhentai.net/g/206702/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Naked giantesses strewn about its meadows and streets, reclining in the sun and pleasuring themselves

First question is how big are these giants? About the scale of your picture, or humans are basically ants style giants?

The OP picture seems the perfect size to be honest. They're giant but they're small enough to where we can fight them.

As for the concept, perhaps humanity are the rats of the setting, little scavenging creatures that steal food and small trash in order to live beneath the feet of the titans. Sorta like the borrowers effectivly.

>Humans are not native to the Titan Halls, instead hailing from one of the many "lesser" material planes of which the Halls are a hub.
>Some humans arrive there accidentally, others are brought back when the native titans go on excursions off world for various reasons.
>Once humans end up in the Halls, it's difficult to return home because they can't operate the titan-scale portals.
>However, enough humans (and other small races) live in the Titan Halls to form a self-sustaining population with societies of different kinds - from a bustling inter-dimensional trading post built into the walls of an unused corridor, to a reclusive tribal outpost nestled in the floorboards of a great feast hall.

>As far as the human inhabitants can tell, the Halls are an effectively endless plane of winding interior rooms and hallways. Most areas are hewn from hard stone, ranging from glittering marble to rough granite, but structures of wood or bone are not unheard of.
>And - of course - everything is built to monumental scale, to accommodate the titans themselves.
>If there is an end to the halls, it exists only in legend. Finding a titan with enough patience to explain the metaphysics of the plane is generally considered a fool's errand.

>The titans have an ancient culture steeped in tradition, with labyrinthine court politics and esoteric social rituals. They live for immeasurable years and their concerns occur on the time scale of eons, but they are not completely beyond human understanding.
>Beyond the industries and politics that occur within the halls, many titans work and live among the other planes. In their travels there they often style themselves as gods or divine beings, using this to their advantage to bring resources back to the halls.
>Most titans ignore the smaller races, or maybe view them as mild pests. Those who take a more malicious or benevolent concern are uncommon, but certainly not unheard of. Most human residents of the halls have tall tales of meeting both good and evil titans.

TL;DR: Imagine if Sigil, Felarya, and Asgard had a baby.

That's actually more or less the concept for my setting's subterranean empires.

> In the beginning there were Titans, Dragons, and Aboleths.
> Titans couldn't fight dragons effectively, so built their enormous fortresses deep underground
> Gods are born and wipe out precursor races
> Drow move into Titan's old halls

I'd say titans might ignore the smaller races in a general sense, but when it comes to individuals they'd rather have them stay out of their kitchens and bedrooms. They'd be a lot like rats, living in the walls, scavanging for food and trying to stay out of sight.

Lots of Human Servants who take part in elaborate constructions in order to serve the Giant masters. Things like a complicated system of ropes and pulleys used to dress up their queen. Or a Spiral staircase built on the insides of pretty much any given table leg when their lordship demands to speak to them a little closer to their face.
Which is unnerving, because that tends to put you in swatting range.
Admittedly, it can't be much worse than being in stomping range, but that's another terror for another day...hopefully.

Obviously. I was aiming for unaware to be the normal interaction between humans and titans -- a situation where the humans rely a lot on scavenging, hiding, and hitching rides to get around, but the titans very rarely actually see them. In RPG terms getting caught at all would be a failure state that could lead to any number of interesting outcomes.

Giant interiors to explore as a tiny being are the most fun when there's countless nooks and crannies, hidden pathways and hidey holes. That's a ton of work for a map maker but you could make the dungeon not that big comparatively and pack the detail in a small area.
Consider a servitor race that exists on a more human scale, they keep the fires going, prepare the food and kill vermin. There would be special tunnels and quarters for them that players can use to go from room to room.

We need to consider the population densities of both the titans and the humans.
Is the titan world a bustling court full of industrious people going about their business? Is it a forgotten glory, with the odd roaming giant wandering the empty halls?
Are the humans a widespread infestation, building hub communities and trading with each other, or are they adventurers and survivalists, barely ever seen in groups of more than 6?

I'd prefer bigger to tell the truth, but that is good nonhigh fantasy size

I like this idea

Though I love this sorta thing, building made for giants but with navigable for humans due to all the little nooks and crannies if not outright human sized rooms/halls built into the walls

Post interiors

Of course, something else that you could do is variable sizes.
The more important titans being bigger.

Humans used extensively for administrative work, because a dozen humans in a tiny office can handle a lot more paperwork than a single titan.

don't these humans realize that when they kill her, her sphincters will loosen on their own and she will immediately let out torrents of piss and shit from her gigantic cunt and ass?

It's not the digital age. Every human-written document needs to be copied to a larger scale for titans to be able to read it.
Although when I think about it, maybe it is the digital age. Titans would be more advanced than humanity after all, their works being like magic.

Microscopes, projectors and photography are all possible without computers.

So the titans are using big old telescoping lenses to read all the human paperwork done for them by tiny humans? What do they need all that paperwork for, how bureaucratic are these titans?

Humans can only technically traverse the world over giant roads. Giant stairs are a big endeavor to climb and opening giant doors is a team effort if possible at all. However, other pathways are open to them. Infrastructure meant for objects and waste.
To humans the kitchen connects directly to the dining hall, because of the food trolly, while to giants one of those is part of the servants' area and the other is part of the nobles' quarters and the connecting door between the two sides of the home is in a whole different part of the building.
So the same rooms make up two completely different mazes to navigate, only those with size-changing powers can navigate both.

If we take then probably quite significantly. You can't run a multidimensional empire over thousands of years without good record keeping.

Could just have a human read it and yell loudly

If we take the idea of it spanning the entire world seriously we can have all possible permutations happening in different places.
The highest and first levels are completely taken over by small races, the bookcases have been carved into homes, the bath-house is drained and used as a palace by their king, the ancient architecture on which they sit isn't questioned or considered.
Go deeper and the forgotten glory of an ancient civilization becomes apparant, a dark souls-esque world where adventurers seek glory, avoiding the gaze of the lonely caretakers. Sulking behemoths that make true settlement impossible but that can be slain by a big enough party.
Then even deeper you find out that the titan's civilization is thriving and alive, the abandoned levels simply abandonded and left to the vermin. Here slaying a titan isn't just nearly impossible, it's foolish as it would probably spurn an extermination session. But at certain parts the rooms are so densely packed and rarely touched that settlements of small races and grow between the cracks.
It being a progression is optional, as is that being the order of levels you'd discover them in.

That sounds a bit like fantastic planet. Its a trippy as fuck movie from the 70s really recommend it

Enlarged photos would still make sense for important documents so they can verify what the humans are doing.

This but in reverse, with the smaller races living on the lower levels and becoming more advanced as you ascend into the high realms.

I don't understand what you mean.

The lowest, deepest levels are where the tribes of humans and other smallest races live, eking out a living in abandoned service hallways, sewers, and foundations.

Go higher and you get this:
>the forgotten glory of an ancient civilization becomes apparant, a dark souls-esque world where adventurers seek glory, avoiding the gaze of the lonely caretakers. Sulking behemoths that make true settlement impossible but that can be slain by a big enough party.

Then as you climb into the impossibly high towers, surrounded by clouds:
>you find out that the titan's civilization is thriving and alive, the abandoned levels simply abandonded and left to the vermin

A few posts have mentioned the Titans or giants building their cities underground, which actually solves a lot of the problems with giant cities. A giant city would normally take up so much space and use up so many resources that it would just never be practical, but if the city is underground then you don't even need to use any resources for the buildings, just clear out the space, and the giants would naturally have abundant ores from all the rocks they are mining in the process.

This also allows human civilizations to still thrive on the surface while the giants live below, and even better you can have both the giants and the humans have large populations and dominate their particular kingdoms.

Another idea that was suggested earlier was having the giants/Titans live in the ocean and be amphibious, I thought that was a pretty good idea as well. Maybe combine the two so that there's "cave giants" and "ocean giants".

It sort of takes away from the borrower feel if there's a surface to escape to.
Besides, giants can be scaled up in power, wisdom and skill as well as size, they live for centuries after all, and could be advanced and/or magical enough to build their world into one gian ecumenopolis.
There doesn't have to be a clear level system showing progress, the world simply expands into all three dimensions. If you go far enough one way you might find an abandoned area where small races have build their empire, ignorant of the nature of this world and another way you might find dark souls and another a peaceful human petting zoo.
Although there is something cool finally reaching the top of a mysterious promised land and finding out the world you knewis considered nothing more than the crawlspace to a much bigger world.

>Besides, giants can be scaled up in power, wisdom and skill as well as size, they live for centuries after all, and could be advanced and/or magical enough to build their world into one giant ecumenopolis.
If this is the case then I think either the world should be much bigger than our current Earth (to better accomodate their giant cities) or they should just live in some celestial world where their will and magic dictates the resources available to them.

Now my other question is how do these giants operate? Are they like normal humans, but upscaled in size and magical power? Are they immortal demi-gods? Do they breed normally or are they created through other means? Are they at peace or do they have wars between the giants?

What about the other creatures in their lands? Would their version of a rat be huge to us or would it just be a normal rat? How do they treat humans anyways? As slaves? Pets? Vermin? Allies?

I doubt they'd go as far as allies, but I expect they'd be willing to live with humans as long as they kept the cockroaches out.

Are we talking huge cockroaches here? I mean the question I have is, what distinguishes humans living in a giant world from tiny people living in a human world?

Not exactly giant cockroaches, but there's probably something equivalent.

Isaac Arthur has a great youtube video exploring ecumenopolises, that's hard scifi but you can replace all the technology with high fantasy tier master craftmanship and magic.
The giants could be feudal, with lots of infrastructure to accomodate a select few individuals in their mundane needs and a small army of servants to operate that infrastructure. I'd say they live for centuries but aren't immortal in an absolute sense, they do age, just really slowly. They're probably human in most ways, except more powerful.
Wars are an interesting subject. A city doesn't have open fields for armies to meet in but maybe they could have courtly intrigue and stuff like that. They're probably not eager to share the details of their civilization with small folk anyway so it can stay a mystery for the human perspective.
I think giants should probably be hostile to humans for the most part, seeing them as rats. Giving them a too human attitude takes away a bit of the mystery and awe of the setting, they should definitely be a distant and dangerous force that you're dreading to meet. You won't see them most of the time and when you do you won't understand what it is exactly they want. Definitely have the giants be the only upscaled beings, rats should be their regular size and humans are their version of rats, great monsters being more like pets to them.

I like it, I get a very "decadent court" feel from that, where the bad guys are both evil aristocrats and also powerful enough by themselves to crush you easily. Most of the time would be spent avoiding their full attention, and when you do need to take one down it would be a mixture of finding a way to kill such as massive creature while also out-gambitting their clever plans.

>I like it, I get a very "decadent court" feel from that, where the bad guys are both evil aristocrats and also powerful enough by themselves to crush you easily. Most of the time would be spent avoiding their full attention, and when you do need to take one down it would be a mixture of finding a way to kill such as massive creature while also out-gambitting their clever plans.
If you want the titans as the direct antagonists of the party I think you're looking at this setting wrong. It's not about slaying the giants, it's about just surviving in their world.

I know, that's why I said "most of the time would be spent avoiding their full attention", you wouldn't be in conflict with the giants 99% of the time, instead you would be dealing with other problems, but you would always be in the world of the giants, avoiding their gaze.

Oh, what about this idea? You have your standard fantasy setting, various races, a few continents, lots of nations and kingdoms, but no one has fully circumnavigated the world, so one day a few brave explorers decide to explore beyond the horizon and either come back around the other end or die trying. However to there surprise they reach new, unknown lands, and they see that these lands are massive in scale compared to their own, and occupied by enormous giants. Turns out, the entire "world" that the explorers thought was their planet was just a few small islands in a lake no bigger than the Great Lakes of Michigan (relative to the giants and our Earth). However this came to be is up to your imagination, but I thought it would be an interesting scenario.

Are there more pictures like this? Not even fetishfagging, I just wish there were more art of combat/battle where things were bloody and violent.

>explorers are captured by giants almost immediately
>the giants explain that their 'world' is a nature reserve
>the giants won't stop them if they want to keep exploring, but for their own safety it would be better to go back

This honestly sounds like a really interesting idea. It's one of the few ideas I can think of that would actually allow a fantasy setting to both have humans and giants without one potentially threatening the other's existence.

>Our captors appearance stretched the imagination
>Skin and scale, tooth and claw, some looked like us while others were closer to beast and monster
>but all wore the telltale signs of exhaustion and weariness
>We tried to ask them to explain, to give us details
>then a bell rang, 5 times
>each ringing an eternity, sounding like it was bell larger than our capitol
>it was then that the life and hope of our captors vanished before our eyes
>a few stood up and left, the rest looking on in despair
>it was if a year passed in the silence
>"We are but servants, born to heed our Masters' beck and call due to the circumstances of our birth."
>"Again, I ask that you return home, to your friends and family, were we can not go."
>"If you insist on carrying on with your venture, stick to the crawl spaces and the corners, avoiding the sight of our fellows and our Masters if you wish to live."
>The Giants put us where we could make either decision, the bell ringing again, three times
>"I beg of you, return from where you came."
>With that, the Giant Servant left us
>We press on

first post worst post

I think he meant that the tiny human "world" was a nature reserve, not that the whole planet was.

>decide to keep exploring
>find fellow giants who also like exploring
>sail beyond the edge of the horizon to see, once again, if you can circumnavigate the world
>find out that the giant's "world" is just a nature reserve for even bigger giants
>keep doing this ad nauseam until we eventually come to the conclusion that the world is just an endless ring of bigger and bigger worlds surrounding it
>we were never meant to explore this far, we were meant to turn back after reaching the first giant lands
>contemplate this while sitting in the hand of a giant who is sitting in the hand of an even bigger giant who is sitting in the hand of an even bigger giant who is sitting in the hand of an even bigger giant who is sitting in the hand of an even bigger giant...

That's what they are asking you to go back to. The rest of the world belongs to the Giants, as they tell you to hide to the hiding spaces

Wouldn't this idea as a whole be relatively easy to implement in a campaign. For D&D at least you can literally just apply the Titanic template To any animal or vermin and you have scaled up creatures both in terms of size and difficulty.

realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/titanic.shtml

Giant versions of mumdane animals could be fine, but that does cement the Idea that you're Tiny, rather thanks that the world is large.

You could mix it up. If this is a high magic place, maybe the ambient magic eventually makes them big.

Curiously, this does not seem to affect Humans.

That's not to say a titan can't be the occasional enemy, just not one that has it in for you specifically or is particularly evil as far as titans go. Just a maid trying to clean up the pests.
It also shouldn't be entirely impossible to slay a titan, but other titans would respond to that in the same way humans would to rats ganging up and taking somebody down. On that note, taking down the tyrannosaurus that has been slaughtering your people might escalate the conflict. What would you do if your cat was found gnawed to death by vermin?

There are no "titans"

Due to a strange magical event, almost all humans shrank down to being a few inches all. However this magical event, for some odd reason, didn't effect certain humans. These "giants" are few and far between, but invaluable to the new human society.... And invaluable in war.

Why? That sounds like it'd just make it less interesting.

You know, I think it might be cool to mess with some stuff about that and the courtly intrigue above.

Imagine that two Titans kill each other over Soap Opera tier stuff. Do the Humans that witness it try and tell the staff, do they try and frame a third party Titan that has been going after them?

It might at some rare occasion occur that a (younger) titan and one or two humans develop some mutual trust. The titan would be able to use what the 'umies told them but can't tell their family directly in fear of exposing their small friends to their genocidal wrath.

That, is a really scary idea to be honest. The thought that you have few options in fighting back as you would bring something worse down on your head.

Though I never understood this reasoning of why titans would see those smaller than them as pests. They would probably be indifferent about if if they did something like step on someone, but why wouldn't they take advantage of the humans for mutual benefit.

What about the Maid and Butlers and all the other staff Titans, do you think they might keep some people as pets?

What would they use the Tiny contacts for?

I actually see the Titans' magic limiting them. For all the power they have, it makes them so often irrational things, to the Human's eyes, like just walking through rooms over and over, hoarding strange things, even performing activities that hurt them.

Depending on the Master, I could see them having multiple reasons.

Maybe it's a pride thing, not wanting to rely on someone who can fit in your hand.

Maybe it's the ambient magic, pushing them to do things and the Humans are just getting in the way.

Maybe some of them just don't want to deal with us, or even worse, attack Humans to vent their frustrations.

One answer is that if titan's are too friendly towards humans you won't have a setting in which you need to sneak between titanic objects.
The in-universe explaination might be that they're too powerful to be able to use humans for anything and have a medieval enough mindset that they won't consider the rights of anyone they don't need to.
They could have humans as pets, but in a restrictive way where they keep them in cages and they need to find a way to escape.

I do like the idea of a simple maid being the equivalent of a giant monster boss fight for the humans, and the harder you fight back the worse it gets, until eventually they're sending specialized exterminators after you to clear out the "vermin". You'd have to fight back as little as possible while still surviving.

And it certainly wouldn't be impossible to make deals or talk with them, but you'd have to recognize your place while doing so. You're nothing but a pest to them, and unless you can make yourself useful in some way then they will default to killing you, since they assign no value to your life.

I like the idea of giant cities likewhere we (humans) have built cities into and on the walls and rafters with hanging gardens, with technological developments separate from the giants

One of my favorite movies as a child was the rescuers. The mice that do good deeds all over the planet have a lot of hidden areas over the world whose purpose mimics the building it is build into. Like this restuarant on top of a chandelier.

I am just unsure of the giants size, i prefer the 10-20 meter range I think

I like the idea. Depending on their mood when you meet them, they may keep you or try to get you with a broom.

But even a 'Friendly' Titan can be dangerous if they're in an ill mood, quick to remind you who is in charge and holds your life in their hand.

Maybe Mouse sized? A Human would fit in the palm of their hand with a few millimeters to spare.

>they may keep you or try to get you with a broom
Children would be the worst in this regard, either if they capture you they're either gonna dote on you like you're the coolest thing they've ever seen, or they'll torture you in the cruelest ways that only children can innocently do.

>Maybe Mouse sized?
A bit bigger on the human side, like i said 10-20 meters is good, big enough they are large and in charge but small enough for us to have meaningful interaction

>Eventually get tired of this bullshit, and go home.
>Decide to seek out the world of tiny people that must surely exist in your home country.
>Somewhere in the world is a lake with some small island in the center. Protected by local law and tradition. But kept quiet, only known to locals, and the tales are equal parts fact and folklore.
>Spend decades wandering the countryside searching for mythical tiny people. Even though you've never seen one, you *know* that they must exist!
>Almost nobody believes your tales or thinks much of your goal. They look at you like you're crazy, and sometimes even refuse to serve you at inns and taverns.
>You've become self-conscious about even mentioning the reason behind your journey.
>Being among humans is almost worse than the days you spent scurrying through giant gutters or traversing monumental canyons between giant^4 floorboards.

If we go with the ultra slow aging, they may be stuck as a child for a long time.

Probably long enough to make people move out for greener cupboards...

I think I can dig a size difference like that.

Actually, makes me feel like some Humans would be captured and 'trained' to perform tasks for the Titans

Also, can I get a sauce on that? The two image search options on my phone failed.

nhentai.net/g/206702/
wasnt exactly what i wanted but ill take it

Less fetish art, more giant architecture-landscapes.

something about the scale here just seems off

Isn't that the point?

not like that, like the size of the city below, but the mountains in the back seem off, like how high up is that plateu

Looks like Adam and Eve and the angel.

>your giant friends insisted that they couldn't possibly come with you, but they were willing to bend the rules by a tiny amount...

This world we've created is quite unique in that it's actually got "soft" borders, in the sense that you certainly can keep going on exploring outwards forever, but there's a certain point where the ridges of a person's fingertips are like the Grand Canyon to you that you begin to say "nah, fuck this I'm going home".

If you encounter a human in a suspended cage, being used as a songbird, would it be more fitting if they were raised in captivity or captured with a home tot return tot?

A giant is only a giant in comparison with the things around it, or a planetary average.

If the giants are normal sized people living in normal sized houses with normal sized clothes and normal sized pets, and the twist is that the humans were shrunk, they're not really giants, are they? They're normal sized people playing with shrunk humans.

Giant halls need to be giant. Bigger than mountains, taller than tall, deeper than the deepest mines.

See, when you go that big interaction sort of becomes meaningless. A titan like that is suited more as a moving map unto themselves than as hazards within a larger map.
You can forget about traversing the house of a mountain titan, if you do what you encounter will not remind you of them most of the time.

Ten meters is very reasonable you know. It's enough to fit the gargantuan category in DnD and it makes all the furniture building sized.

You sure thaught me not to google with safe-search off.
On a side note, horses as pets would accentuate their owner's size, but they shit where they stand. What would be better titan companions?

>Giant versions of mumdane animals could be fine, but that does cement the Idea that you're Tiny, rather thanks that the world is large.
This, really dives things home

Nothing to add, just love this too

That's a good size difference I think

This subject needs more fantasy representation.
It's not like it doesn't have a history, Jack and the Beanstalk, Gulliver's travels, pagan deities.

Stormreach (and Xen'drik as a whole) from Eberron.

Everything was built by and for an ancient Giant empire; in the centuries after its fall and the rise of the smaller races on the continent it's all just built on top of the old architecture; wooden staircases built on stone staircases originally built for giants, nearly the entire city is built on what just used to be the harbor district of Stormreach from when it was Giant-held, etc.

>pagan deities
What examples of pagan deities were gigantic?

One of the things that all those settings you mentioned did was make the giant's land somewhere else, the giants and the normal people didn't interact unless the the hero was purposefully traveling between the lands.

You think that's an important detail?
It sort of implies that the only humans in giantland are adventurers.

Oh, there certainly can be humans in giantland, whole swaths and civilizations in fact, but there should probably be a distinct "giant land" and "human land", as opposed to having the giants and human lands intermingle. It's about ensuring that humans and giants don't see each other, but rather ensuring that humans dominate and control human land and giants dominate and control giant land.

*It's NOT about ensuring that humans and giant's don't see each other

Well, this is still Veeky Forums and when we're coming up with ideas like this we like to make it possible to integrate them into a game, if only theoretically because it's fun to think about. Making it a place that can be added to an existing world like a modular add-on is completely appropiate for that.

Yeah, I mean basically what I'm saying comes down to is that if you're going to have giants so big that the humans can live in their civilization right under their noses like ants or mice, then these giants probably shouldn't be a random bandit or camp you encounter, but rather they should be in a place you deliberately have to go to if you want to see them.

There's probably no shortage of legendary items in giantland to form a quest hook. We must retrieve the 7 elemental orbs, but the orb of wind has been in possesion of a giant for centuries.
Or maybe the BBEG is a titan and we must follow it back to its lair so we can kill it in its sleep.