I want to use Legos for maps. Not dungeons, world maps. Hear me out bros...

I want to use Legos for maps. Not dungeons, world maps. Hear me out bros, I know this sounds autistic but I love the idea of doing elevation, terrain features and settlements from a birds eye view with 1x1 brick studs and using translucent pieces for ice sheets and waterfalls. I just think it'll be really fun and give me something to focus my autism on during long sessions.

Trouble is, I'm playing Tomb of Annihilation and I have zero frame of reference for how big Chult Peninsula is supposed to be. Without spoilers, what size area am I looking at here, if 1x1 studs are around 1 mile across each? How much shit do I have to buy? Has anyone else ever attempted this? What should I use to represent our party/pockets of bad mobs and environmental threats?

General LEGO tabletop thread too I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01E2TQH9M/ref=sxr_sxwds-rbp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3007919262&pd_rd_wg=bba2A&pf_rd_r=9WKHDK1DBBCYWA10NS20&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01E2TQH9M&pd_rd_w=IIoQp&pf_rd_i=lego baseplate&pd_rd_r=YZJSN6P8P1X7BCWJG1M0&ie=UTF8&qid=1505667258&sr=2
bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=microfig
tao-dnd.blogspot.ca/2013/03/scale-on-ground.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You have my curiosity. I don't think lego bits should be that expensive, especially if you're just getting a big industrial tub or ordering specific peices, like the 1x1 brick in different colors

I'm hoping you're right. Ideally the only thing I really need to buy is this

amazon.com/dp/B01E2TQH9M/ref=sxr_sxwds-rbp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3007919262&pd_rd_wg=bba2A&pf_rd_r=9WKHDK1DBBCYWA10NS20&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01E2TQH9M&pd_rd_w=IIoQp&pf_rd_i=lego baseplate&pd_rd_r=YZJSN6P8P1X7BCWJG1M0&ie=UTF8&qid=1505667258&sr=2

And that should be it. I already have a fuck ton of small basic plates and studs. I would love to get some of those 1x1 Heroica minis, but I think the sets are discontinued.

It's pretty big IIRC, it's a giant feature even on the world map. I think the last hex map I saw of the region used 30 mile hexes and even that only showed a small area?

I don't know which map you're trying to do, though. A smaller scale one, say the usual 5-6 mile hexes map that fills a page, might be easier to adapt, and the aesthetic is wonderful.

Oh, how to represent party? Little cone or round piece with a coloured flag on top. Or microfigs, but again you'd only really be using one for a group.

Microfigs, for reference: bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=microfig

cool idea, I have also seen people use DF maps.

Please post if you do this, btw. It's making me think about the possibility of doing an Outdoor Survival map in a similar style of lego. Not really sure how I'd translate the hexes though...

I mean, an offset square grid? It's a bit distorted, but would work and as long as the overall terrain type is preserved you could use the outer bits of each square to merge things. It's not the best way, but it is easy.

It's not Chult, mind, it's a smaller affair even if you're using it in od&d scaling.

Brickbump

>30 mile hexes

That's insane. The peninsula alone would be 3 times the size of the continent of Faerun. That makes no sense.

Ima have to rip this shit and do manual measurements. Goddamn it.

dude, abier-toril is comparable to earth in size. chultan penn. is close to italy in size.

Catan pic for inspo
I use minifigs at the table and my players love it. I know it breaks immersion etc etc and I love that one pic making fun of it with the Lego heads on likes, but meh
Aren't the ToA hexes supposed to be 10 mile scale? My gut feeling would be 3 or 4 stud sides, obviously the scale will be imperfect on the diagonal sides, but your players will love adding new hexes too much to give a shit
That being said, still a lot of Lego to buy for such a feat. Look up building Lego in microscale, people do tons of cool shit in microscale and get really creative with it, added bonus of less costly than diorama/dungeon scaled to find
This is a great idea user and quite honestly I will probably steal it

FUCK me
*Lego heads on pikes
*scaled to minifigs

>clipping the tiny flat pieces on top of each other

Jesus fuck what are you doing
You'll never be able to pry them apart afterwards

Even 6 mile hexes are HUGE. Like, really huge.
tao-dnd.blogspot.ca/2013/03/scale-on-ground.html

pleb

FUARK

Thats a lot of Legos. I'm fucked boys.

Rough estimate based on the map I have puts it at roughly 360 miles at it widest part, and 480 miles at its longest.

Just work on a much smaller scale? Why do you need to map out coasts and islands and continents your PCs will never visit?

Start small. Pick a 36x36 mile region and really work on making it interesting.

>start small and see where it takes you
excellent advice. let's say the map is 360×480 miles, and you plan for a 10 mile hex, represented by hexes 3 studs on a side. you'd need to plan for 4,214/5 studs of Lego as 1 level of elevation. plus any elevation etc. you plan to make. but building as you go makes lots more sense given the nature of the campaign

But that's suggesting we'll stick to one area for the duration of the campaign. We won't. For all I know we'll be running all over the peninsula.

Maybe if I map out just the jungles... I might have to meta game a bit.

>semantics
but the confusion is understandable. I'm pretty sure other user would agree when I say, starting small =/= staying put. you were just being cautioned against acquiring all Lego at once. plan on enough Lego for, say, 12 hexes. especially starting out, that should see you through 4 to 5 sessions. you'll develop your build style and see what you like/don't like. as you travel, you'll get a sense of what terrain is upcoming and acquire more of the appropriate Lego. rinse, lather, repeat

But I don't have the room or the scale for a project that size. Oh well.

Used to use lego for when I DMed for my dad. Made miniatures out of them at least. still have his barbarian minifig. Then I bought real miniatures and 300 dollars later I have a huge collection. Now my legos are hardly touched.

>debbie downing that guy through your entire own thread
>but each time I use my pen, more ink comes out! how will I ever go on???
if you have an idea you wanna try out, the key word is try. do you ultimately just want someone else to do it for you?

>all those legos sitting untouched

That's kind of a bummer. Can you donate them maybe? At least then someone would be enjoying them.

I've always wanted to run a game using this set. Enough for every basic class in DnD.

Wait, are you a player or the GM?

If you're the GM... just edit the module. Shrink it, edit it, redraw the map, move things around. A lot of module maps are waaaay too big anyway.

If a player, you are fucked, but shouldn't be mapping like this anyway.

Solid.

Nah you're right. I'm taking all these suggestions under advisement. I guess I'm just having a hard time fitting the project in around my schedule.

I'm the player. Literally just want something to do in sessions to keep my ADHD at bay, and Legos seemed a good idea.

Eh, they're a good size to have one major site per hex... and then chuck another one in next time the party goes through, and a third the third time.

>shakos
>bicornes
no tricornes, why live?

Dacta is overpriced.

Tricornes are just Triceratops user.

>I would love to get some of those 1x1 Heroica minis, but I think the sets are discontinued.
Google "Bricklink"

and then rue the day you learned about Bricklink.