No game is still better than a bad game

>no game is still better than a bad game

You will learn ten times more about games playing with bad groups than with good ones.

That only matters if you want to GM and are dedicated enough to spend upwards of 8 hours of your life suffering in order to improve your gming when you could be improving using other methods

*8 hours every week

No image is still better than a ribbon image.

>bullying Ribbon

For shame, user!

What made me most improve as a player was recognizing all the stuff I hated when other people did it, and then just not doing it myself.

At the same time though, playing with bad groups will burn you out way faster than playing with a good group, especially if you go home feeling frustrated and angry every session.

this right here is the mark of a normie. someone who thinks that RPGs are about 'fun'. who thinks that it's just a game... i have news for you it's not. RPGs are about crafting an experience, about creating another world where you and those you care about can escape to, to become something more than you truly are and to create something more than the sum of your parts. if RPGs were just about fun then i would never have experienced the most intense moments that i've ever had in my life, where i felt my emotions pushed to the very brink of what i believed i could handle, only to be brought back off the edge by my friends. to push and be pushed by another human being in this way is exhilirating, and a true delicacy of the soul that no casual faggot will ever be able to claim for themselves.

so keep on playing your "fun" games you shit stain, you disgusting casual that can't appreciate beauty, you scum of the earth which appropriates the culture of those who toiled and worked to create the very systems which you now mock with your peasantry and soil with your hedonism. i will be there, in the trenches, fighting the good fight, breaking my mind, soul, and yes my body in the service the highest calling a man can pursue - the creation of my ART

That's right. Games are NOT about having fun. How pretentious can you be?

You're not going to find good stories with a bad group, unless you suffer 4-8 hours a week just so you have a greentext story to post on Veeky Forums.

In which case, I pity you.

lol don't be such a faggot user-kun

lol at the text

>playing for escapism

That's awful. And really unhealthy.

Even if you're being satirical, there really are a lot of people who play games to just to run away from their problems or forget about who they are, and there's really no upside to that. Even arguing that reducing your stress doesn't compare to the disastrous notion of what happens if you leave a problem to fester.

I bet you get really upset every time you see our banner.

>suffering

It's amazing what a change in perspective can do though.

I get a little irked, I don't mind saying.

>You will learn more from bad experiences than with good ones.
Well, yeah.
We often learn best from mistakes.
That doesn't mean people should pursue mistakes and bad experiences and avoid good experiences.

Nice pasta.
>crafting an experience
>creating another world
>escaping to another world
>becoming something more than you truly are
>creating something more than the sum of your parts
>feeling your emotions pushed to the very brink of what you believe you could handle
>pushing and being pushed by another human being in this exhilirating way >appreciating beauty >fighting the good fight
>breaking your mind, soul, and body in the service the highest calling a man can pursue - the creation of ART

>not finding any of the above fun
Wtf are you even doing with you life?

Get away from me, Camus-satan.

>You will learn ten times more about games playing with bad groups than with good ones.
False.
You can learn a few lessons from a bad group.
You can learn a *ton* by sitting at the table with an amazing GM or an amazing player.

Variety is also very important. Your skills will improve very slowly if you're just playing the same RPG with the same group every week. New people and new systems will teach you a lot.

pass the parmesan
>Escapism is unhealthy
go away Lotte or whatever your name is

Question: the fuck is ribbon? Is she a tg OC or what?

By the new order, she's more of a /qst/ thing, but by the time she was introduced she was Veeky Forums OC alright.

>this right here is the mark of a normie.

This right here is the mark of a newfag.

Ribbon is a part of Veeky Forums

Fuckers gotta chill the fuck out

Ribbon is a character from an old set of comics about Veeky Forums called Veeky Forums Explained. She's a dumb elf that plays games.

I don't think she's ever been part of a quest.

I love that face she makes. Fucking gold

Yeah, it's great.I also like the one in the last panel. She's all "You can't do that! I spent nearly three minutes on that!"

That's about three times as long as chargen in FATE deserves.

It's a much better idea to try to learn a new system as a player than purely book learning and then DMing, right?
Fitting into the thread: Better to not play than let some shitter talk you into DMing something new poorly?

In order of importance:
Don't DM if you don't want to. Seriously. Even as a favor.

Yeah, playing is better than flipping through the book. In Fate Core that's fuzzier.

>Fitting into the thread: Better to not play than let some shitter talk you into DMing something new poorly?

Experience is experience.

In fact, I actually have a group of players who are absolutely terrible when it comes to roleplaying and genuinely fiends when it comes to being min-maxing munchkins. The only way they can have fun with a game is breaking the game as much as possible and trying to make everyone else feel insignificant and worthless. It is next to impossible to GM for them, because they will either upturn all of your plans, argue incessantly for hours, or if you have miraculously succeeded in running the adventure to its completion, end the night by complaining that the adventure was dull.

And, as terrible as it is to play with them, you end up learning about all the various tips, tricks, and exploits the system has, as well as any weaknesses to look out for. GMing for them is basically GMing on hard mode, and after struggling with them to try and figure out how to get a group desperately trying to ruin each other's fun to actually have fun, playing with any other group ends up feeling like easy mode. Players actually cooperating with each other? Trying to work with the system, rather than against it? It's like stepping out of a lion's den and into a petting zoo.

They're also invaluable when it comes to testing out homebrew ideas and systems. It's easy to not see loopholes and weaknesses in something you are designing yourself, and a good group may not encounter any significant problems, but that terrible group is quick to figure out any and all flaws that they might exploit.

It's kind of like magic players. Playing with competitive magic players isn't a whole lot of fun compared to playing casually with friends, but you wind up learning a lot more about certain facets of the game you wouldn't have learned otherwise.

agreed, you will learn that : no game is still better than a bad game

Oh, pasta!

hey, thanks buddy my old pasta was getting a bit stale

I've sometimes kept up with shit games purely for the stories they generate.

And more often than not, you are going to waste 5-8 hours of your free time on something that only made you pissed off or bored to tears.
Alternatively, you will gain a super-annoying tick or implement some bad player elements into your own style, making you as disfunctional as your group.

No game is better, because you can keep your time and do something else with it, rather than ending up with a serious regret and getting burned out AND off from the hobby.

>This pasta again
It's so stale George Lucas wants to make a Star Wars movie out of it.

Started with new group this July. Last game I bothered to show up for a game was two weeks ago. The only thing generated was frustration over extreme case of railroading, and the GM not knowing what to do once I've started intentionally ignoring his plot hooks for side quests and instead going directly for the solution of the quest.
No real stories, nothing funny, just a lot of frustration over general lack of competence on GM side, boring scenario, utter inability to run FATE and two of the guys in the group doing everything imaginable against their backstories, since they've made disfunctional characters and only later realised they would have to roleplay through that, so openly ignored said backstories and just went murderhobo.
So yeah, I guess that was the story.

>You will learn ten times more about games playing with bad groups

Well, maybe. But that won't be true for every bad group, or forever. And do you really want to spend hours every week being unhappy just in the hopes you learn something useful?

>go away Lotte or whatever your name is

Did you mean "Marche"?

yeah, I did
thanks

And a pretty depressive one, user

You only managed to get one letter right.

The only thing you can learn from bad games is self-loathing and growing apathy toward your own hobby.

I've learned that GMing for bad players is better than playing under a bad GM. Bad players are tiresome, but a bad GM will make me want to blow my brains out.

I've learned to never play with randos under any circumstances and if I must play a game, I'd be much better off just asking people I know IRL from school, work, or family functions than wasting my time posting ads in local game shops.

If possible, also screen players by making an autism test of sorts.

Fucking this. An entire party of That Guys, griefing cunts and utter nutjobs isn't as bad as incompetent GM.

Is this a copypasta?

Forced meme.

What the fuck? That's mileage may vary. So long as the GM lets you do stuff then you are golden.

Hell nah. So long as the GM lets you guys do stuff then a good time is had.

Low-key this.

CUTE forced meme.

solved it, give me my autism now.

here's the real question:
Can you get through each of the doors exactly one time with a SINGLE drawing of a penis?

Alternatively

You'll absorb ten times as many bad habits that will make you incapable of playing in better games with better people.

>So long as the GM lets you guys do stuff then a good time is had.
Let me guess - you never played a TTRPG in your life, not to mention with awful GM, right?

That goes without mentioning the obvious fact a bad GM is not going to allow you to "do stuff", unless his hard-mode railroad left space for that.

Also this.

I remember how much effort it cost me to drop "I roll for X" and go back to roleplaying after spending half a year with bunch of murderhobos, assuming that "bad game is better than no game at all".

Nah, I've had bad GMs who let the party do whatever they wanted, there was just nothing to do. That being said, had we been better players we could have created our own content.

The DM was still bad, but in a way that was overall manageable.

At the same time, I've had bad DMs who didn't know how to set up a story that feels cool. Overall we still had a good time, there were just parts that were really really shitty.

Not him, but you know this still boils down to "Our GM was shit and it killed all fun we could have", only you are for whatever reason defending them?

I disagree. If you play with bad groups, you most probably pick up bad habits, whereas if you play with good groups you learn good habits instead.

>Not him

Yes you are.

And what are you even trying to say?

Because I'll gladly explain my position if you are confused.