Just bought pic related, curious what the rest of Veeky Forums thinks of it...

Just bought pic related, curious what the rest of Veeky Forums thinks of it. A good successor to WHFRP or an unnecessary rehash now that 4e is on the way?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/zzcmcv.1
gmshoe.wordpress.com/
forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=5738
grimandperilous.com/ama-with-daniel-fox-from-dan-davenport/
drivethrurpg.com/metal.php
drivethrurpg.com/product/210516/ZWEIHANDER-Grim--Perilous-RPG?src=hottest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I know the author is a faggot who was responsible for DMCA takedowns on troves in the PDF share thread that didn't even have Zweihander in them, launched not long after Mageguru specifically asked people not to post Zweihander just because of his zeal at takedowns.

I noticed this, it's worth noting though that the 'early access' rules are freely available. The main PDF is about 600 pages and the early access is some 500+. I haven't viewed them side by side but from what I saw of the latter it's not too different.

Bump

I think I'll wait for WFRP 4E

One more bump

the only differences between the early access edition and the final edition were that a) the early access would be free as a part of the kickstarter, and b) the early access edition had no art or adventure.
Otherwise the files were the same.

Good to know, I suppose that means his takedowns, as wasteful as they are of his own time/effort, are not THAT big a deal since the rules are effectively freely available and the paid version is just a slight upgrade.

No, the shitty thing about the takedowns was that it was wasteful of other people's time and effort, as it took out a couple of sizable archives, neither of which even had Zweihander in them in the first place.
Now those people, who weren't even infringing on the dickhead's copyright, have to reupload everything.

Seriously? Ok that's fucking gay. What a turd move.

He's super trigger happy when it comes to takedowns, I guess he got some idea they were sharing it surreptitiously and just sent a takedown rather than go through their stuff and see if it was actually there.

Three doors up has decided to permanently shut down their share thread because this cumbucket filed 3 DMCAs in one day.

Well I guess I'll look into yanking the watermark on my PDF and see if I can't upload it.

Also, unrelated but this is the most obvious fucking 'Backer Portrait' I've seen.

I think it's quite good. It's more than just a WFRP retroclone but manages to be it's own thing. I am currently working on a conversion to use the Zweihander system to run adventures in the Witcher setting.

I've seen some rumblings on this. Will the players be witches or regular sods running around getting attacked by monsters?

warhammer ripoff

what sort of things does it do that set it apart?

It sucks and you know it does.

That looks like Zweihander faggot in chief Daniel Fox. Good job shutting down unrelated troves you ass clown.

Oh fuck that's him for sure.
Also I'm inclined to agree. 13$ down the drain, hopefully 4e hits the shelves soon.

How much of a pretentious ass do you have to be to commission a in game portrait of yourself, in the book you stole/wrote and not even have the common courtesy to remove your 21st century eye wear.

This, might as well have a fucking raybans logo on it.

I...i..is he coming h..here next?

I'm here now!

Love the belly-aching from pirates ITT

>Waaah why can't I steal things!?

Hi Daniel

Hi criminal

>whole archives of carefully curated and scanned old/OOP games wiped out because one fag is upset people are sharing his shit-tier plagarization of better games
>haha take that!

How much of a loser are you that you have so much free time to search these threads all day?

Implying you didn't start this thread you cock nobbing attention whore.

Not much this is the first I've heard about this whole kerfuffle with the archives since I don't spend all my time on tg, but apparently you do.

And they didn't even have his game in those archives, the nitwit.

Yes yes those archives were only filled with oop matierial yep, no pirated shit in there no sir-e

And I was actually going to buy the RPG before I heard about the author's douchebaggery. If companies like WotC and Games Workshop aren't evil enough to pull that shit, then I don't think that it says anything good about Daniel.

my.mixtape.moe/zzcmcv.1 for anyone who is interested in downloading the RPG.

who gives a shit

Looks like a "grimdark" Not!Warhammer RPG

WIPO apparently

Very much so, pretty much a mix of 1st and 2nd edition it's pretty great

Newfaggotry shouls be canonized as the eigth deadly sin. Make it happen, Pope.

Why don't you spend all your time here?

I just want to spend money on things I like so more of it gets made,

but fuck me right?

No, not fuck you, fuck the guy who made this game and his trigger-happy DMCA bullshit, attacking people that weren't even pirating his stupid game.

You do you, user.

From what I've heard the combat is pretty cool. Any input on that?

Also how does it handle:

> Social Interaction / Conflict
> Magic
> Ranged vs. Str. vs. Dex melee builds
> Players make their own story kinda deal or are there set adventure paths, etc.

>social conflict
It's a d100 roll system, so that's just handled by a contested roll but a PC has access to rerolls/result flipping that NPC doesn't. Still it's only one roll, none of that crazy Exalted shit.
>Magic
Pretty robust spell lists with the magic divided up among multiple traditions. Magic is a bit more utility/ritual based with straight 'blaster' spells being more limited.
>Builds
They rolled BS and WS into one stat and damage is much more static with the majority of it determined by you CB and the rest being a single d6 or the higher of 2d6 for some weapons. Ranged builds get access to gnarly weapons like pistols and the like which also have an AP value that puts them in a class of their own. The downside being reload times and not being able to parry melee attacks.
>adventure paths
Just story seeds in this book.

>They rolled BS and WS into one stat and damage is much more static with the majority of it determined by you CB and the rest being a single d6 or the higher of 2d6 for some weapons.
That's literally oldschool D&D.

It's also literally warham, but it's a d6 and not a d10.

You got jewed, man. Every single time someone posts the PF, Daniel posts it on sale for $6.50

Best thing everyone can do is use anonymous / russian file hosts to spread his game when people ask, and actively point people towards Cubicle 7's Humble Bundle for Warhams or to other legitimate sources of the actual RPG.

Also, support Cube 7's 4th edition.

I was interested in Zweihander at one point, and I respect a businessman wanting to make money off his product, but Fox is a toad.

>When you actually bought the PDF because it's like $10 and you've been looking for an updated version of WFRP
>When you're going to run the starter adventure for your group tomorrow
>When you were excited to discuss Zweihander on Veeky Forums
>When instead you've got to read a lot of whining about piracy

Anyone feel the combat is too gritty?

It takes a fair while to make a character and they can die fairly instantly with a few 6's. Sure it makes players prioritize RP over combat but still.

I played 1e/2e when I was a teenager but I don't remember it being overly brutal.

You know what would be great? A picture of you with the stuff you bought while not being the author of the game. You know, so we can tell that you're not an astroturfing shill.

The guy is an unimaginably big asshole. Not only does he DMCA people unrelated to him, he shills his game constantly, at every opportunity. He even commented on the Song of Swords kickstarter to brag that his game got more money and to advertise it. The fucker is so bad, he's managed to get banned from RPG.net for constant overt advertising. That site treats developers as perfect gods incapable of doing wrong, and people still got sick of him.

Hi Daniel. My copies of WFRP 2e aren't going anywhere.

>Owns almost complete 1st Ed WFRP
>Owns complete 2nd Ed WFRP
>Owns complete 3rd Ed WFRP
>Intends to own 4th Ed WFRP

I backed Zweihander (before 4th edition was even announced, obviously) because it really did feel like a loveletter and, regardless of what the author did outside the book it still feels like that. It's got some good ideas and tweaks, it's very comprehensive, and is a good stand-alone sword and sorcery game.

While it's understandable why they cut out actual Warhammer fluff, and certain things are obvious, it does feel like the setting is a bit different. Still deciding if that's a bad thing or not. If 4th wasn't around the corner I'd say bad because but since it is I now see Zweihander as a good way to play the mechanics in tone with WFRP in the strange circumstance that players don't want to do a WFRP setting (those monsters).

At the very least it's a good grimdark book to put on the shelf alongside games like Dungeon Crawl Classics, Hackmaster, and Torchbearer

Haven't seen it in play, but it doesn't seem particularly more lethal than 2e.

Also I don't know if I'd say character creation takes "a fair while" but I don't know where you're coming from so it might seem more invested to you.

Took a few hours to walk a group of new players through the whole process.

Sure it should be faster the second time, but its a lot to invest in a high lethality game.

Its setting neutral, I imagine most people will set it in some clone of the Old World.

In fact I want to run the Enemy Within using Zweihander rules. Apparently its fairly easily transferred.

The moral outrage is hilarious. I like free stuff, but acting like he's the asshole here is a bit much.

Fuck off, Daniel. DMCA takedowns against people who aren't even violating your copyright in the first place are a dick move no matter how hard you try to spin it here.

I usually play high lethality games (DCC is a delight) so I'm used to swapping to the next character. You could always have guys make two characters at a time so there's a backup, or whatever will help speed things up.

Yeah of course it's setting neutral, it's just for some reason it's hard for me to slap WFRP on some elements of Zweihander and I can't put my finger on why, I'll just blame it to lack of imagination after owning just about everything from the actual games so if I don't see Warhammer in the book it doesn't exist.

That said yes I'm sure Enemy Within would translate very easily. I'm actually thinking the opposite direction and running non-WFRP campaigns with it, like older D&D stuff

So, have any links survived the purges?

> guy asks opinion of a $10 game
>tg loses its shit because author impeded muh freedom to steal
> Don't even discuss game
Ergo, OP is Shill, fag etc

>The Grim and Perilous method (tm)
>Roll for everything, completely randomized characters
>You're an obese female lowborn prostitute with permanent hot flushes

Would you let your players pick jobs/races or follow the intended randomized design?

>steal

>archive full of weird old rpgs that are out of print

>didn't even contain a single copy of the pdf that it was dmca'd over

Yeah, I'm mad.

Also actually illegal. Nobody has the ability to go after him since it was all other copyrighted material he took down, but come on dude, at least check to see if you're actually defending your copyright before you piss on everybody's parade.

Yeah, if someone was sharing his game and he DMCA'd that, I'd just say "oh well, it's a fair cop" and move on. (I've done so on stuff I uploaded before) But sending DMCA takedowns against whole archives without even checking to make sure your game is even there? Dick move.

I also heard he's behind the share thread on channel 7 being removed by the mods there, after yet another DMCA was sent to them against the whole thread.

But enough about how the author's an asshole, let's hear about the game. I need to know if I should make the effort to pirate it now.

I'm really not him user. I'm a regular downloader of the archives and am Just as dismayed as everybody else when they get fucked with, I'm just not deluded enough to try and take the moral high ground. DMCA against people trying to earn a living through fair use is wrong, what you're talking about is literally what they are designed for. Deal with it.

>I need to know if I should make the effort to pirate it now.

if you already have WFRP 1e or 2e why bother?

Sorry user, I'm just as mad as you are and it's definitely a dick move, but I don't agree anybody can claim to be in the right here.

user, he committed perjury by DMCAing that archive.

I really wish they used a different cover. Something more badass.

>Would you let your players pick jobs/races or follow the intended randomized design?
in WFRP 1E everyone of us had 3 rolls (rerolls doubles) and then everybody did get to pick from these 3 options. fun tiems

Rubbish ripoff. Danny boy deserves a trial by combat, at least to avenge the neighbors from three numbers upwards.

I love the randomized so fucking much.

The players would need to bitch hardcore for me to not enforce it.

A lot of brave words from anons who wouldn't confront him direct last night during his AMA: gmshoe.wordpress.com/

I was there. He praised Dark Albion and Song of Swords. The guy apparently only ever played two RPGs regularly. A lot of good info about Zweihander and how it can be used for other worlds outside Warhammer. He also answered my wuestin about dick in artwork. Nice guy overall, if not a bit wordy.

user threats are meaningless lol. Grow the fuck up.

7chan admin said this:

>>DMCAs today were all from Grim and Perilous Studios and DID NOT REQUEST THE ENTIRE THREAD GETTING NUKED. I removed the individual posts that were referenced, and then the entire thread after it was determined there was insufficient moderation to support the thread.

me too. i used random and my group ended up with some really cool combinations. we had a dwarven prostitute with shiny white teeth and a veteran's leg, an elven man-at-arms with wheezy breath and weak lungs and a human slayer who was cursed.

they said it was playtested using the enemy within. i would love to see the conversion notes, but i am sure anything 'official' coming out of zweihander for that would be construed as a violation of their creative commons license agreement with games workshop. regardless, there's this thread where people are already doing backwards conversions: forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=5738

Is it more based on real life HRE than WHF or less?

It's more open-ended. No setting outside of the five or so campaign seeds in the back of the book. It mostly focuses on thematic approaches. He said last night D&D is heroic gameplay & high fantasy as a theme, this is grey morality & hardship as a theme.

Dan Davenport had a Q&A with Zweihander last night. Looks like he gave out a free code for watchers as well. I couldn't make it, but the code is still working for those who want to grab the illustrated PDF for free (legally).

grimandperilous.com/ama-with-daniel-fox-from-dan-davenport/

no, asshat - the DT RPG queue is random when it selects a title for deal of the day. look at the dang site u fool. its still 13$, and 6.50 on deal for the day.

How can you be lowborn and obese?

The same way that you can pretend be an Elf, Dwarf, Ogre or a Halfling. Use your imagination.

See

It's meant to be complimentary to WFRP not replace it.

Doesn't work but the code on zweilanders site still works for free downloads.

The download works on my machine. Make sure to replace the .1 with .pdf in the filename.

DMCAed to Veeky Forums, thanks.

Good luck. I'm behind seven proxies.

Too much fucking about.

This RPG was nearly ready 3 years ago and then everything stalled. If it had released 3 years ago it would have had a place, back when 4E looked like it would never happen. Now it's in the pipeline for next year I can only see this being one for the die-hards.

The same way you get fat poor people. Instead of adequately providing for your family and household you use all your resources to stuff your face.

Besides the character mentioned is a low born fat prostitute you aren't a prostitute if you don't make money from sex and that money goes toward food to fill the emotionally emptied hole you have from being a whore and when you aren't stuffing your face with penis your gulping down hot pork pies.

Vandal Savage and his serfs

bro zweihander is a platinum seller on drive thru and in the top 3 of all time. It clearly has a place, despite the announcement of Warhammer 4th edition. drivethrurpg.com/metal.php

I didn't even know about it. Good job white knighting for him, though.

my.mixtape.moe/zzcmcv.1 for those looking to download it. I honestly wouldn't bother with Cubicle 7's new version of WHFRP, but it is neat that there is a clone for those looking for an off brand version.

I'm pretty sure that it is him considering that he lurks to the point where archives are deleted. Daniel is pretty much as bad as Varg when it comes to shilling his game here.

Mirror in case that link doesn't work, as concern was expressed earlier. a.pomfe.co/nbhixyq.1

drivethrurpg.com/product/210516/ZWEIHANDER-Grim--Perilous-RPG?src=hottest

As featured on Forbes.com and having raised a combined $90K to-date on Kickstarter & CrowdOx, ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG is a bloodier, grimmer and grittier version of classic tabletop role-playing games you may already familiar with. The community calls this style of gaming the pathetic aesthetic, but we simply call it grim & perilous gaming.

ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG is a spiritual successor to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay first and second editions, released under released under Creative Commons License Share-Alike. It is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game, one where adventurers will:

Live in a gritty, ‘realistic’ fantasy world
Make morally grey decisions & enact vicious reprisals
Uncover insidious plots & political intrigue
Desperately fight in clandestine & open field combat
Defend themselves from injuries, madness & mutations
Take part in heart-pumping chase scenes
Venture into the wilderness & survive its perils
Encounter sanity-blasting creatures & their minions
Using the classical D100 system, with ZWEIHÄNDER RPG you will create grim characters, write perilous adventures and build low fantasy & dark fantasy campaigns. These rules are perfectly suitable to run Renaissance and medieval-styled adventures, too. You can also use this book to craft homebrew stories set in the works of Andrzej Sapkowski, George R.R. Martin, Glen Cook, Scott Lynch and other ‘grimdark’-inspired worlds.

This all-in-one game includes most of what you need to play: a character creation guide, game mastery rules and a bestiary brimming with creatures both fair & foul. All that’s left to gather are a few friends, pencils and a handful of dice.

ZWEIHÄNDER awaits, and the fate of your grim & perilous tale hangs in the balance!

Been playing it for about a year now after backing the Kickstarter. Running Dark Albion with it. Players love the Corruption mechanic but I don't like the social intrigue stuff.
Fortunately it's easy to dump as it's an optional rule. Wilderness travel is a lot like one ring. A metric shit ton of professions 140 or so. Combat actions are super flexible with an associated action point cost. Slightly crunchy but has a lot of non-weapon options as well for rat catcher and other non fighters. It's d100 but well balanced at low and top level. Characters feel competent at basic tier and bounded accuracy fixes the weird whiff factor from Warhammer Fantasy. It would run nice in the Old World but I want to make it exist in the world of Darkest Dungeon.