Magic players, what honestly keeps you spending money on this game? Gamplay issues aside it can be fun, sure...

Magic players, what honestly keeps you spending money on this game? Gamplay issues aside it can be fun, sure. And there are a lot of cards even after accounting for the obvious bloat of useless cards, sure. If you want to keep playing for free with proxies and such that's great. But how can you seriously continue to support these people?

Just look at how stupid this is, these cards are in the same set. They are identical in every way except that one can't be countered, has hexproof and gets +1/+0. So why does Colossal Dreadmaw even exist? Don't say draft, you know that doesn't justify it. It's ridiculous how openly lazy and apathetic the designers are about card quality, they don't even bother to pretend that they care about what gets put into packs. It's just mindboggling that so many people continue to enable it with so many better games out there now. Is it ignorance? Nostalgia? What could possibly make this worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

quietspeculation.com/2014/11/blogatog-faq/
markrosewater.tumblr.com/faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They have written about why they print bad cards several times on the Wizards site. And yes, limited does justify it. Having a mythic that is strictly better than a common in the same set isn't something crazy to do. The chances of getting a mythic in your pods draft pool are very low, but there's a pretty good chance that you'll have 1-2 of every common.

>keep shitting out sets with cards that are objectively worse than what's been out for years
>start reprinting good cards, call it 'Masters' and charge three times as much as you would pay for regular cards
>there are people unintelligent enough to pay the asking price
Can somebody explain this to me? I am new to magic, and I don't understand.

I find it fun. No other reason.

>I am new to magic
no you're not.

That doesn't justify strictly worse cards even a little bit. They could easily have given the Dreadmaw some ability to at least give it a different role, even if that role was ultimately worse anyway. But they didn't because they don't care, they know you'll buy it anyway and then go defend the practice whenever someone points out how ridiculous it is to pay money for a piece of cardstock you're literally going to throw away soon after obtaining.

Obviously I don't get it either, hence this thread. I used to play but left a while ago. Sometimes I check the spoilers just to see what they're up to and there are usually some cool new ideas but then you see stuff like the picture above and remember how dumb the entire concept of the game is at this point.

Do you faggots want Yu-Gi-Oh! levels of power creep or something? Printing cards that are worse than other cards doesn't make the game bad.
You're fucking retarded if you're actually buying booster packs for anything other than limited anyway. It's cheaper to just buy the singles you're looking for.

>play a collectible trading card game
>get punished for buying booster packs

I have fun playing EDH and drafts with friends, along with going with my friends to Prereleases.

Don't you remember the original Modern Masters?
The MSRP was a bit more than a regular pack, but not by much.
Nobody charged MSRP for it. They charged what the Masters packs go for nowadays, when they weren't being hoarded. And people bought it at those prices.
They are a company. Their purpose is to make money.

>Don't say draft, you know that doesn't justify it.
It does, though?

Fuck, how small would sets be if only Standard-playable cards were printed? Draft is literally the only reason MOST cards exist. The only cards worth complaining about are the ones so terrible you wouldn't even draft them.

Wouldn't they make more money if they started doing what Yu-Gi-Oh does and reprint cards in demand in larger numbers and at reasonable prices until there isn't a demand for them anymore so players can build the decks they want to play without having to pay some jewish 3rd party seller a hefty premium for a piece of cardboard, thereby having more fun with the game in the first place?

I don't play anything other than Draft nowadays, so I'm fine with commons not being insane bombs. Limited is the best format anyway, since it means you don't have to play those people who dropped a bunch of money on a playset of rares and mythics, and you're more likely to see a variety of cards from the set.

That's essentially what's happening in Modern, but there's a balance to be struck between bringing prices down and immediately making your hundred dollar collection worthless.

If people know Tarmogoyf is going to get one reprint a year every year until it stops being $150 then prices are gonna come down but people can plan for it. If they reprint it tomorrow at Common players are going to burn down stores in protest.

It applies to very single TCG. You're literally gambling every time you purchase a booster pack, and the odds are purposefully not in your favor.

They tried doing that a long time ago.
Because of that, we have the Reserved List.
And Wizards is nothing if not once bitten, twice shy

I've been enjoying pauper more recently, it's like $10-$40 to make a deck and even cheaper if you just play on MTGO

You're not wrong, but Magic takes it to a whole new level by releasing set after set full of cards that are complete dogshit outside of limited, and then adding maybe 1-2 chase mythics, making sure the consumer is left feeling ripped off almost every time they do decide to drop some money on boosters while other TCGs succeed at introducing new cards and deck archetypes that aren't completely obsolete when compared to what has been the staple meta decks for decades.
Depending on what type of player you are, there's often times literally no reason in even looking at these new sets at all, and I feel like this is an issue WotC needs to address, or the game is going to keep dying.

And in those other TCGs, those new cards and deck archetypes...completely obsolete the ones that WERE there before.
The new cards are what's good. The old cards (with some notable exceptions) are shit, because in order to drive the pack tredmill they powercreep higher and higher.
Wizards uses Limited and Standard to do that instead.

>You're not wrong, but Magic takes it to a whole new level by releasing set after set full of cards that are complete dogshit outside of limited, and then adding maybe 1-2 chase mythics, making sure the consumer is left feeling ripped off almost every time they do decide to drop some money on boosters while other TCGs succeed at introducing new cards and deck archetypes that aren't completely obsolete when compared to what has been the staple meta decks for decades
If you only play eternal formats, then I could definitely see how you would feel this way. But the only way to solve that problem would be to crank up the power creep to crazy levels, because it's really hard to compete with all the cards that already exist.
>Depending on what type of player you are, there's often times literally no reason in even looking at these new sets at all, and I feel like this is an issue WotC needs to address, or the game is going to keep dying.
The game isn't dying, it's been growing at a steady pace for a while now. Just because you feel like you're not being catered to doesn't change that.

>Magic players, what honestly keeps you spending money on this game?
I love the game. It really is that simple. It's a hobby I enjoy and don't mind spending extra cash on it once in a while. I can go to almost any city and find a local game shop where I get to meet and play with new people. I can play and enjoy different formats. Pauper for kitchen table fun, Modern for competitive tournament play, Commander for beer and pretzels on guy's night. It's no different than golf or any other social hobby.

Does this mean I love every decision that WotC makes? Of course not, and I can bitch until the cows come home. But at the end of the day, they're a business and they're going to make whatever choices they think are best for their interests. So what if they print trash cards? No one is forcing you to play with trash cards.

its fun, i dont buy into it very often and pick a few cards up every now and then. mostly edh and modern and i get into draft, sealed, and sometimes even standard once in awhile. i dont go for toptier expensive decks instead for cheap gimmicks that are effective. last time i played standard i was doing marshmellow tutliage, which was quite consistent and cheap control and will try to make it for frontier if i can find a place for it. modern is new to me but no matter how expensive or cheap, it boils down to sideboarding and a rps metagame. i find i do well in limited but i dont like spending alot.

>card costs $0.025 to make
>kikes resell it for $75

this game is scummy as shit

Limited was a mistake

I don't think you understand how limited works. It's a feature, not a bug, that there are commons which are objectively worse copies of other cards. The commons are more likely to come up in limited formats, making the fancier, stronger rares more impactful as opposed to that power level just being the norm. This kind of variability across rarities adds flavor and texture to the drafting process, which is all about comparisons and choices, and helps reinforce that there are better and worse picks.

You also get amazing moments like the Draft thread we had earlier where they pulled exactly the right Mythic, which was awesome. That wouldn't have meant anything if all cards were equally good.

>water is basically free
>sell bottled water for 2$ each
>a bag of chips cost .12$ to make
>sell them for 4$
>a shirt cost 2$ to make
>also a fancy label on it and sell it for 100$

This is how business works, yes.

Do you not understand the difference between the primary and secondary markets, or supply and demand for that matter?

>don't say draft
>don't say the format that makes WotC the most money

>commons and mythics cost the same to make
>retail products contain both at different rates
>mythics are designed to be artifically scarce
>commons are designed to be mechanically weak (NWO)
>expensive singles can cost many times more than a retail pack

The whole fucking thing is a scam to deprive the players of value. The secondary market is completely illegitimate, which is why WOTC never sets the price of singles for fear of legal consequences.

>If they reprint it tomorrow at Common players are going to burn down stores in protest.

Nobody is going to do that, because the players aren't in for the fucking profit, they just want to fucking play.

The older cards and lore.

>or supply and demand for that matter?

Yeah good memes, the supply for any of the mythics is way beyond the number of people who actually play magic, you can find any card you need at any time, this is pure artificial scarcity like star city games hoarding thousands of the masters sets for years before selling them, while small LGS get 1-6 boxes max.

That's why I don't support WotC, they purposely cause rises in prices. Hope MtG dies, or they learn the whole "MtG Economy" idea is garbage.

I would settle for the death of the secondary market.

Pre-releases and EDH. Cube is every so often (amonkhet really helped out with that, interestingly enough. Bought the shit was less than 20 cents each, no big deal). Competitive mtg is a scam, those planeswalker points dont mean shit.

This is a practice that every TCG has and will continue to do. Pack filler will always be a thing, and no developer will make every card playable when rarities exist.

But if you don't like it, stop buying packs. Buy singles that people who do open packs trade in for more packs.

Also, don't play a format with a lifespan.

I do it because it's the last popular CCG game that hasn't flat out killed itself (yet), except for of course pokemon but it's pretty shallow gameplay wise.
I'm a spike in all regards so I make much more than what I spend just by winning tournaments and buying singles instead of packs.

Buying packs in any TCG is and always will be a scam. Higher rarity cards will and always will be more expensive.
If you're not trash at the game you don't need to spend high amounts of money to play on a competitive level (unless you're playing control).

Don't get me wrong if tomorrow some game as big as magic showed up and all my LGS were hosting it and I could guarantee it's longevity I would switch games in an instance, but that isn't happening so I'm at the least risk by staying will grandpa here.

The Reserve List isn't legally binding.

Hasbro's legal department seems to think otherwise.
Wizards doesn't want the Reserved List around. They hate it, you and I hate it, the fucking card shops hate it, but they can't even say why they can't get rid of it. Lawyers are involved somewhere.

It's some doctrine of "they said (nonbindingly) that they wouldn't do something that'd hurt me financially, but then they later did it and hurt me financially so I deserve reparation:.
I don't get it, but apparently it's a thing.

Yes it is. They can't talk about it, nor can they talk about why they can't talk about it. A Non-Disclosure Agreement is attached to legally binding documents.

All I care about is limited, limited is fun

[citation needed]

Sure.

>When will you get rid of the Reserved List?

>Never. Also, it is not a topic I am supposed to discuss suffice to say it is a promise we made long ago that we plan to keep.

quietspeculation.com/2014/11/blogatog-faq/

You can also check Blogatog directly if you want.

Nowhere there does it say that he's NDA'd. He just says he's not supposed to talk about it, which generally just means his boss has told him not to talk about it.

Oh, what the hell, I'll spoonfeed you, too.
markrosewater.tumblr.com/faq

>When will you get rid of the Reserved List?
>Never. Also, it’s a topic I’m not supposed to discuss suffice to say it is a promise we made long ago that we plan to keep.

>Why can’t you talk about it?
>My inability to discuss it negates my ability to answer this question.

>But..
>I. Can’t. Talk. About. It. Next question.

LIterally zero information on the nature of an NDA or legal decree..

It's also worth noting he's full of shit.

>Could you use errata to make the nephilim legendary?
>No, that’s not how we use errata these days. We don’t make mechanically functional changes with it.
>But we'll totally change creature types away from a decently supported tribe, sure, that's not mechanically functional changes at all.

Creature types have been subject to errata for years, but how often have they messed with Supertypes barring a complete rules overhaul?

>doesn't play limited
>bitches about chaff

Go buy modern masters u faglord

Which decently supported tribe was moved away from?

Beast. Beast has cares-abouts and lords.
I ran Deathmist in a top-tier kitchen table beast-tribal deck. I am moderately irate.

>We don’t make mechanically functional changes with it

Except, you know, when you made all Planeswalkers Legendary retroactively.

Except it does.

>What is cube?

The only reason you're forced to play with mechanically inferior cards is because WOTC puts trash in the packs.

Beast was never really 'decently supported'. It's barely a tribe.

Its also worth noting that Maro is the design guy. He just creates stuff; he's not the be-all end-all of Magic. The decision to change creature types or change then Planeswalker Uniqueness rule, in all likelyhood, did not come from him.

Good thing for you, then that all Dinosaurs that were Beasts are still Beasts. Even Deathmist. The chart showing the type changes was in error on that one specific card, and thus because a CHART was wrong you're going to throw a fit about the literal worst type in Magic.

It actually isn't. They've modified it before and still can. Only butthurt investors and collectors think they can't. Just because they won't talk about doesn't mean they can't. They're afraid to mess with it because of the backlash from a long time ago, but Hasbro can afford to tell people who think they have any legal grounds to fuck off.

i have a modern and a legacy deck, so i dont actually spend any (more) money on cards. i think i'm actually over the game as a whole outside of showing up to the shop weekly once in a while to catch up with the homies.

have you ever actually traveled to play this game competitively? jesus holy fuck those people. even winning feels bad. i day 2'd gp louisville this past january with death & taxes and it was the actual worst time i've had doing anything cards-related, purely because of the people i interacted with.

i have a feeling they are trying to get everyone used to $10 a pack, and slowly bump up all pack prices to $10.

New format:

>61 card deck
>one mythic (called your Signature Spell)
>four rares
>twelve uncommons
>forty-four commons
>this rule counts for lands as well
>can always choose to slot in a lower rarity for each tier
>your one Signature Spell starts in your hand at the start of the game
>sideboard is 11 commons, 4 uncommons and 1 rare

Thoughts? Totally unrealistic because it would kill the market if it took off, but would make games feel more like draft decks.

>Arbitrary deckbuilding restrictions
Nah

Semi-pauper, than?

>This kills jund

So why don't you answer why everyone who has played it always say they prefer cube to draft? Cube just does away with the filler cards and makes a pool of only cards you actually want to draft, resulting in a much better format.

>Hearthstone rules
>30 card maindeck
>2 of each card max (1 for mythics)
>10 card sideboard
>Match is best of 5

Nice format, millfag.

I think it would be easy to say "A max of 4 rares and 12 uncommons. Also, pick a card you always get in your starting hand." Makes it seem less restricted.

Because deep down everyone's a Timmy.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a format where there is zero chance of ever drawing Dreadmaws but a few Carnage Tyrants.

I feel like if you're going to do semi-pauper, it'd be better to simply let people get any amount of commons and uncommons, but restrict them to a single copy of any rare or mythic.

That makes it so lower rarity cards are forced to be the bread and butter of your strategy, while higher rarities are more unique and can't be drawn as reliably. It would have the issue of someone still stuffing their deck entirely full of rares, but in exchange for power they would lose a lot of overall consistency.

Interesting idea, but I can see this being more annoying in the long run, as sometimes decks to need multiple copies of some cards to function.

Market domination in the CCG area...
The closest competitors are Hearthstone, Pokémon, and Yu-Gi-Oh, hence why the creators of M:tG are lazy, proud, and making shit....who's gonna stop them.

Amen to this. I buy boosters as lotto tickets where I win at least a bit every time. Other than that, precons for life.

>pick a card you always get in your starting hand
so every deck in existence is BX Thoughtseize?

this is the only card you should be playing on turn 1 if you always have it in the opener.

I play EDH, Draft, and Modern sometimes. I genuinely enjoy the game, my friends around me play it and there is enough mechanical nuance to intrigue me. I also enjoy the lore and worldbuilding, I really enjoy seeing the worlds they can come up with.

I think you really are not thinking about casuals, many people won't even see carnage tyrant, so they will be happy with the big 6/6 stompy creature that they do get. True, to an advanced player there is no reason to not select carnage tyrant, but not everyone has and wants to pay the prize to buy a playset of him.

They are trying to move into Hearthstone's territory, so we will how that turns out.

My problem is it might feel like the pre-built planewalker decks where winning is based on who gets their walker first. Having both in your hand gets rid of that.

Although I could be wrong. Just making this up as I go.

The rules allow us to police deck composition easily. Adding hard rarity restrictions just make it fucking impossible to maintain that everyone is playing but some semblance of the rules.

Also, fuck new formats. If you are dreaming up new formats it means you have gotten tired of all the already-available formats. And if you aren't, maybe try and prop up those other formats who are starving for players instead of dreaming up your own special snowflake crap. Look at the dipshits in Victoria who dreamed up Canadian Highlander - now that stupid fucking format will plague and derail concerns for the game forever; we can dream up new formats when we are done bitching about OP's issues with how shit Wizards is at designing cards, the cost problem, and their refusal to reprint good shit.

The point to a community is symbols of cohesiveness. What sustains a community is sustainability of those symbols, which in this case is welcoming people from the outside who are familiar with the key formats - like how religious people can enter any place of worship because even language barriers aside they speak and recognize the same symbols. New formats make it super fucking hard to keep a local community together unless the community is so large that it can divide into different micro-communities. But for the most part communities in Magic are NOT that strong. They run the gamut of barely being able to fire the flagship format Standard, the Magic equivalent of, "we believe in God" to "we run every format every day". For the most part fuck the people who want new formats. The primary concern is making sure that the starter group community, the people who simply want to play Standard, can continue to play Standard and not complicating the fucking welcome mat to the format by introducing some stupid retarded non-sensical format you can't even Google. like about how your cult likes to eat human flesh.

Ah, I think I phrased that poorly. I meant that every common/uncommon would have the normal would be limited to 4 as normal, while every rare and mythic would be limited to 1.

So you could have a normal deck of commons/uncommons, a singleton deck consisting of 60 different rares, or something in-between.

Why not just make 1v1 EDH the new staple format

>play kitchen table mtg
>group has a blast
>some guy spends a bunch of money on it
>kills game group

Has happened three times to me with three different groups. What's the fix? Build a cube and only play draft?

>Krosan Warchief
>Contested Cliffs

more support than dinosaurs

I don't spend money on this game anymore, not directly. My friends and I build cubes with good cards. That way we don't have to deal with draft chaff like wotcs abominations in the op pic.

Cube is way more fun than any official draft environment these days

Could go with Leyline of Sanctity to make those B/X decks unable to touch you with their thoughtseizes

Introduce the three guys who spent money to each other and get them to play with each other and enjoy your time with the rest.

But seriously, the guy should know he is ruining everyone else's fun, I have aspergers and I was able to tell I was doing to my group, so I downgraded my deck intentionally to keep it fun.

The Duel Commander (1v1 EDH) authority, which I think is based in Europe, ate a lot of shit from South Americans and Italians for changing the life totals from 30 to 20. So they spun off their own format that kept the lifetotal at 30.

They were shit posting retards for the most part but they are loud enough and stupid enough that they will poison any mention of 1v1 EDH especially in online conversation or discussion. It happened at my store where we all switched over to 20 life then seemingly out of nowhere a pile of retards came in and bitched about the fact that we were at 20 and insisted we play at 30. Even though it was mostly a casual thing, most people didn't want to sit down and discuss it.

Do you know any guides to make good cubes? I have a ton of cards laying around, so I want to try and make some for my friends. It's kitchen table, but good design goes a long way.

The fix is , "Everyone tough it out." Lots of casual groups go through this.

>group cobbles decks together from whatever
>one guy looking to get better start doing research and buys better, more expensive cards
>he keeps winning. Forces others to buy better more expensive cards
>this starts an arms race
>but eventually, someone offers an olive branch
>"I won't use X card, if you dont don't use Y card."
>"We should have budget limits to our decks."
>things go from arms race to cold war to peace.

You just have to come out the other side

Dinosaurs have three (3) rampdorks.

The fix, is to bitch loudly at Wizards why the fuck money is such a goddamn problem in their game. Restricting exploring the game even casually because their stupid fucking cardboard lands go for $3-200 a piece is why these groups die to money. As much as FIFA wants, they can't fucking jack up the price of a goddamn ball or big chunk of land and that's what prevents the game from dying unlike a game like hockey where you need big stupid environmentally controlled ice boxes and $2000 in starter equipment.

Not him but beast do have advocate of the beast and were a tribe ala onslaught...

None specifically come to mind, but the mtgsalvation cube forum is probably a good place to start.

One unique cube we tried that was fun was with ante cards. Instead of having ante cards and rules swap ownership permanently, they swap it for the duration of the cube tourney. Obviously the cube owner always retains true ownership.

It game that cube a real duelists island feel, and was a lot of fun.

>the solution is to bitch
>instead of wrecking your casual groups Modern decks on the regular with Pauper decks
Git. Fucking. Gud.

They really shouldn't have been one in Onslaught, considering all the things 'beast' meant then.

There are two types of Cubes. Power Max and...Good Cubes.

Power Max is just a pile of the strongest cards available with some restrictions like power or no power or rarity. There's nothing wrong with this but you don't learn anything from building it. It's easy however, you just copy the premier lists.

Good Cubes are built with the actual drafting experience in mind and as such you can throw out the conventional restrictions Power Max cubes have.
- Start at 360 cards
- 50-60 dual lands, no question; fixing is key to a good experience, whether or not the lands come into play tapped allow you to control the speed (and therefore the curve) of your Cube.
- No signets (yet) they fuck up the speed of your cube
- Break singleton, if you think a card is key for multiple decks or just a solid utility piece (like removal or fixing like Chromatic Star) put multiples in your Cube, remember, you're building a draft format, not a pile of 360 cards
- Start with a plan, pick your 3-color combinations, 2-color guilds, or just focus on 5 color pairs, and what theme you want to exist that binds all the colors together or not
- Once you have a plan, decide what you want in those color groups, then design themes/archetypes for those color groups, then you can think about card selection for those groups and how all the cards go into multiple decks

>bragging about beating casual decks with only commons

You must be proud

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't true.

There isn't a single top-tier Pauper deck that can stand against a top-tier Modern deck. I know this because I own nearly every Pauper deck that is or was worth talking about.

Having Daze and Counterspell doesn't compensate for Gold symbols. Hell, it doesn't compensate for anything that can get two-cards of value.

Cube drafts are more fun and don't include chaff.