I want to get into Kult (the game, not an actual cult)

What's the best edition to start with? I've heard complaints about both the old and new ptba system.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Yw6zTS7mOpQjBoX3VTV1kxaUE/view
mega.nz/#F!utlm3KxA!Qx9DDuD8p8J1IKyIChHKXQ
andrewloganmontgomery.blogspot.ch/2015/10/kult-review-of-third-edition.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Personally I enjoyed the first French edition, which seems to be based on the first English/US edition (minus martial arts chapter - not a big loss, and with a censored passion chapter - which sucks). I checked out newer editions, but somehow I found the system to be less good - or already knowing a previous edition, made me too lazy to bother learning a new system just for lolz and giggles. As I'm allergic to everything that as pbta written on it, I didn't even check this one out.

For me the worst thing about the "old" edition is character creation. The skill system is too crunchy. You start by calculating the average between different stat combinations. Those, cross referenced with a chart, will give you a base to your talents (fictive example pulled out of my ass: average of Agility + Strength = 15, gives base level 4 to Athletics). Talents then give you a base in general skills (example: Athletics level divided by 3 gives you a base in Hand-to-Hand Combat). Going above a certain level cost twice as many points (stat average for talents, linked talent level for skills, and Ego or Intelligence for knowledge skills). I simplified the whole system because I didn't see the point in having such a complex system.

On the other hand I really enjoyed the combat system and I used my modified version of Kult as generic modern occult RPG.

One difference between the French and the 1st English/US edition is how weapon damage is indicated. In the US edition each weapons have a damage chart. In the French edition, guns have a damage modifier (e.g. a .44 Magnum revolver has DMG +3) and there is a general damage chart - which seems more elegant IMO.

I am monitoring this thread, crying softly in the corner because I always wanted to play Cult but it is barely even known where I live.

Ask me any Kult-related question, because there's otherwise nothing to monitor.

When will divinty lost be released? The kickstarter was in 2015 ffs.

Probably never

So the swedes just fucked us over?

They're saying december this year.
drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Yw6zTS7mOpQjBoX3VTV1kxaUE/view

They are still releasing updates on kickstarter, they haven't absconded with your money. (yet)

I thought about using Cthulhu Dark for Kult what do you guys think?

bump

BINAH PROVIDES FOR THE MASSES:
mega.nz/#F!utlm3KxA!Qx9DDuD8p8J1IKyIChHKXQ

Thank you jesus

Huuuuh? This isn't anything from what I recall of the 2nd edition Kult? You bought stats with stat points, and they weren't really *that* and then you bought all your skills with points reserved for those.

Chargen was just figuring out your concept and pulling some advantages/disadvantages and possibly a dark secret that fitted that?

The game very much is a relic of the grimdark '90s and should probably be fully played through that route... The problem is cell phones though. Those were a hightech luxury item back in the day and everyone being fully connected to everyone and the world through makes it harder to set scenes for the themes horror usually runs with?

bump

The only cults I'm interested in is the one I'm currently in, and the Blue Öyster Cult

I just got the English 1st edition for comparison with the French 1st Edition, and you're right - character creation is much simpler than in the French edition (pretty weird that they changed rules between translations). On the other hand the French edition streamlined damage. There must be a fracture in the Illusion.

Call of Cthulhu and Kult have different approaches to madness. In CoC, and it also seems in Cthulhu Dark, madness is the end. The investigator goes nuts - game over. In Kult, madness is a path to awakening - although a destructive one.

Honestly, if I were to run another Kult game, I'd probably use modified Call of Cthulhu for it. Just need to switch sanity system for mental balance, and port the magic system over. The original system isn't bad, it's just kind of wonky.

Kult is like everything else, once you get used to it, it gets pretty good. This review makes me want to try the third edition: andrewloganmontgomery.blogspot.ch/2015/10/kult-review-of-third-edition.html

yw

Start a game yourself?

Kult is one of those games that has a lot of potential for magical realm. BDSM, violence, fetishism, occultism, satanism, witchcraft, sexual deviancy, drug and alcohol abuse are common themes throughout the game. If your players cannot stomach that, you should play something else.

So I've only take a glancing look at the 1e rules (graciously provided by the user in this thread, thanks) and this seems like a great system to run a Silent Hill campaign in, which I've been wanting to do for some time now. Thoughts on those with experience and knowledge of the setting on if this is as good an idea as it seems?

If you really play on the characters' disadvantages and dark secrets, it's absolutely doable.

I remember thinking "holy crap this is the Kult vidya!!" when playing SH1, way back in the day.

You're one of Veeky Forums's greatest, user.

A movie that is very much in the spirit of Kult is Baskin. It's a Turkish horror movie and the first thing a friend of mine and me thought while we saw it was: "That's Kult!"

Here's how damage works in the 1st French edition:
Weapons have fixed damage ratings (big knife -3, fire axe -1, katana -1, crowbar -8, 9x19mm bullet +0, .45ACP bullet +1, .44 Magnum +3, 5.56mm +1, 12g +2, heavy MG +10). Roll 1d20, add damage and compare it to the damage chart (see pic).