Anyone have any experience with Delta Green...

Anyone have any experience with Delta Green? A player in my group has suggested giving it a go and the other players seem interested, but I've only heard of it in passing.

Other urls found in this thread:

fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios)
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1444/69/1444698729504.pdf
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3osHj-Myc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aas1Qrksls
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ppiGTLqfaWc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fR_8gpJCT4I
m.youtube.com/watch?v=puLDuV3azbA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuWcFKCALU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMgJ-5UF-QI
cthulhu.me/
youtube.com/watch?v=1hsHASCmuXc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAiKgFzyBdk
actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2015/10/systems/call-of-cthulhu/delta-green-gods-teeth-go-forth-episode-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=CcMz3aAZDv4
youtube.com/watch?v=wZv4L_OP5Uk
youtu.be/ii1ST0s30IQ
youtu.be/8f8WYvAo-RA
youtu.be/TZWGRyPQUxs
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've played in a one shot of Delta Green, and a short campaign of CoC. So my experience is rather limited.
The system itself is pretty straightforward.
Weapons/Firearms are suitably deadly.
Has the details that are necessary for horror gameplay.

My only real advice has nothing to do with the system itself.

Everyone has to be 'in on it' so to speak to do horror correctly. You can't scare or creep people out if they're not in the right mindset for it. So pick your players carefully. Set the tone and mood. Put away the distractions. Play some proper ambient music. Start things slow, ramp them up at the right moment.

Good luck.

it's awesome but you need a really good story teller, otherwise it's shit

The new system is really good, it's become my favorite way to play Cthulhu games.

Grab a shotgun scenario from here (fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios) and give it a go.

Also is pretty good advice. If your players would rather play a beer and pretzels action game than an investigative horror game it's probably not gonna go over well, but if they proposed the game to you you probably won't have to worry about that.

The new system seems awesome. It's fairly simple, yet very solid, and the bond system is excellent and suits the Delta Green universe perfectly. Where I'm less convinced is with that new and old Delta Green organizations that cohabit in the new edition. I personally prefer to have only one approach (only the old DG).

IMO, the most important thing when GMing Delta Green is to avoid the bug hunt trope. Delta Green agents aren't hunters, but rather vigilant animals that protect the herd/flock from hungry predators. This is an excellent document for the moderator that sums up a few but important thoughts about DG: img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1444/69/1444698729504.pdf

A good idea would be to play in a dark room (shutters and curtains closed) with only one table light (switch is with the moderator), a couple of flashlights and lighters. When things start going wrong, turn off the table lamp and use only the flashlights.

There are also flashlights with strobe function for maximum disorientation - perfect for tense combat/flight situations.

Put some dark ambient music in the background and switch to japanoise during action sequences.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qL3osHj-Myc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aas1Qrksls
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ppiGTLqfaWc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fR_8gpJCT4I

Some witch house music might be good during character creation.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=puLDuV3azbA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuWcFKCALU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMgJ-5UF-QI

I've had a good time with it. Even if most of your players roll up characters with direct ties to the government, they still need to be careful where they apply their authority. If the news or local police catch wind of a federal marshal burning down an orphanage (like what happened in one of my games) you should make sure the consequences are appropriate. Delta Green investigations are supposed to be covert fringe cases, with major action like calling in a SWAT team having a justification that would check out on paper.

The SAN system is also neat, if your players like roleplaying, SAN loss can be mitigated by characters offloading their psychological stress on their co-workers and loved ones, giving them moments of interesting characterization.

There are SAN check guidelines in place that lend towards non-supernatural psychological trauma too, like PTSD. Pic related.

>San

I made a character with 18 POW and a GPMG. The GM ended up just running with it. I had a blast giving literally zero fucks about anything.

Omaha beach on the intersection was a mercy kill, those people had it coming.

I've run a game in the previous edition of rules; personally I love the premise and all the players seemed to enjoy it, but I made the mistake of picking one of the longer adventures for a convention slot.

I would run and/or play it as an ongoing campaign, but I do think you need players who get it (ie: understand that they aren't going to "win", take the secret identity thing seriously) to make it work in the long run.

There's even a thing in the rules to apply the game's flavor to those kinds of characters. Passing checks against helplessness and violence 3 times in a row makes your character 'hardened', which lets them auto-pass that type of check but damages their bonds and lowers Power (Helplessness) or Charisma (Violence).

The end result is typically a character that has dissociated his/herself so much that they're a little dead behind the eyes and hard to maintain a social relationship with.

Bumping so I have time to type up a bigger post

Hadn't heard of this game till now, seems very similar to nights black agents. Anyone know if either game does something better or worse than the other?

I think the best way to explain new Delta Green is to compare it to Call of Cthulhu

DG has a grittier and more "realistic" tone, but if anything it's much less simulationist than CoC.

In CoC, damage for each bullet in a burst of automatic weapons fire is rolled individually against the target. Meanwhile, machine guns in DG do a fixed amount of bonus damage, with an additional percentage chance of automatically killing the target outright (assuming they're human).

In CoC, everything is statted out using the same "scale". Cthulhu has HP, armor, primary statistics, and attacks that essentially function the same way as the players, albeit with much larger numbers and numerous special powers. DG boils things down to the most common use-cases: an attack of [x] damage is enough to splat Cthulhu back to R'lyeh, anything less than that is ineffective. If he swats you, you're dead.

The system is full of rough edges that become apparent when you play it enough and start to pull at the seams, but its greatest strength is probably the ease of creating content. You can take a rough idea and within half an hour have a fully playable scenario.

I've been writing, running and playing it as often as possible for almost a year now and it's already one of my favorite Systems.

Nights Black Agents is a thriller game where players have power and narrative control. It uses the GUMSHOE system, which is very narrative based.

Delta Green is a straight horror game where characters are much more fragile. It's built off BRP, which is very simulationist (though see )

Spoilers for anyone wishing to play Delta Green as an investigator.

I think one of the funniest things about Delta Green is you are introduced as "This is an elite group, a secret branch of government that few people know about."

And you only find out three games later that Delta Green had a falling out with the government in the 70's and is no longer a government branch. So if you or your team mates get caught doing shady shit, or if your cover is blown pretending to be FBI agents, you will be sent to prison or worse.

Which adventure does this?

All the published modules I know of are very upfront with the players about DG being barely-legal at best

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you.

This is just what I heard from listening to Skype of Cthulhu.

cthulhu.me/

They reference an operation that went bad in the 1970's (in South America or something) so because of that the government cut off ties with Delta Green, and Delta Green has since then operated on it's own, without the government knowing.

I have never played Coc, only read books here and there but I'm planning to become a keeper of arcane lore and run a game in the 1920s.

Hopefully I'll be a good DM.

They mention it in The Victim of the Art (under Delta Green) if I recall correctly.

I've played DG twice now. Once was with a group with two of the worst players I've ever had. Not even joking. I ran the scenario from the original 1990's version of the rules and it ended in them blowing up the town for shits and giggles and then their characters spouting one liners at one another because "The way he deals with losing SAN is by becoming John McClane."

The second group I played it with ended the campaign with a player describing in detail his player's preparations for suicide and burning both his body and any physical evidence of the case they were on in the form of a physical letter he brought in that he'd crumpled up and splattered with fake blood and partially burned.

It depends on the group, is what I'm saying.

It's a goddamn masterpiece of a horror system, user. I would heartily recommend it.

If you are running it, dim the lights. Play music from the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. Print out handouts and give them to players in manilla envelopes.

Make the game feel real, and players will genuinely respond. The monsters aren't often outright monsters, most of the issue is the players trying to figure out if the thing that speaks with the voice of a terrified woman is real or a monster trying to pull one over on them.

Players shouldn't trust their instincts, and mistakes will fucking ruin them since most of the monsters can rip human beings apart in seconds.

>Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble

Good choice, but I'd suggest their side project Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, in particular Doomjazz Future Corpses.

So glad to finally see a thread on tg about DG. Great streamlined system in comparison to CoC plus modern setting helps make everyday mundane things a legit threat. Planning on running lover in the ice with my local group soon. Tried it already with friends. Great scenario.

A lot of people suggest lights, music and handouts but what if you're running a game online? I recently moved so my group has decided to try playing online. Do I tell my players to play in darkness? Or do I just accept that its just not going to be as effective?

If you plan on running it online, pre-write the monster descriptions, the descriptions of the various areas (maps and floorplans grabbed off the internet work amazingly well), and send them to players.

I would recommend private messages for SAN loss, with little accompanying text (pre-typed as well)

Greentexting my Delta Green experience

>Cell is told to hunt down a witch in old Arkham town
>Decide to go in packing heat
>Buddy decides to bring incendiary grenades in case shit really hits the fan and we need to bail
>Through a series of spoopy happenings, wind up chopping down a number of oaken doors and carving through walls and crawlspaces in order to find this bitch's magic room
>Two hours pass and we find nothing but old books and creepy totems
>Someone suggests we try the basement
>Johnny with the Shotgun goes down alone
>He doesn't come back up
>The rest of us decide that it's better to burn everything
>Toss some incendiary grenades into the basement with a frag for good measure
>Kill Johnny just before the witch finishes sacrificing him on a pentagram in a hail of fire and shrapnel
>Burn the house down
>Grab some beers

Currently running a DG game. Here are the players in a small Mississippi town barely anyone knows. Has been a lot of fun and was supposed to be a small game, but has gotten derailed by real life shit.

>A by the books FBI Agent with ties to the area. Childhood Trauma. Deals with it by being a workaholic.
>His partner and the current "in" to DG. Friendly contact essentially on his first assignment. Conspiracy nut named "Smolder".
>A rookie deputy who is an ex Army Ranger in the town. Talks like he's from the South's south.
>An EPA agent who has been brought it to test some samples as part of a possible drug contamination from a raid further north (Raid was done by the first FBI Agent)
>An old guard Delta Green Agent who runs a curio shop in town and drives two hours to check on a green room storage container. Keeps a few "need to know" relics in his basement. Ex NY State Trooper who was blacklisted into shameful retirement when he wouldn't come in.

Town is in on an old cult that has been developed out by me and they are looking for a missing agent. Last session the FBI agent with trauma failed an Unnatural check and lost his mind when he encountered noises in the marsh. Party now starting to realize the town is fucked during their tourist festival

>Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
This are also a pretty good soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=1hsHASCmuXc

Sounds coo'! Hope you guys can pick the game up again sometime.

sauce of gif?

Grave Encounters, can't remember if it was 1 or 2.

This game seems pretty fucking cool, definitely going to see if my group is interested, one thing though. Is there any weird mechanical bullshit that the system does poorly? Or something a GM should be wary of?

Just from reading it I find the new edition pretty much flawless. I really like how combat got simplified by using Kill Damage ratings for automatic fire and explosions. I also find the Sanity system better than in CoC, thanks to adaptations, and like I already said, the Bond system is excellent. It really simulates how the character's job is taking a toll on his private life.

Copying from an older thread where I wrote this

>The bond system is overloaded, taking the place of a character's social network, finances, resources and job
>The double tap rules mean that shooting someone twice with a rifle does more damage than emptying the magazine into them
>The rules for recreating bonds mean that, if your sanity is low, you're better off letting a bond hit 0 and then trying to reestablish it with a CHA*5 test, rather than trying to salvage it by maintaining responsibility
>The interrogation rules are an opposed Persuade test. Instead of rolling POW*5 or Sanity to resist torture, you roll Persuade (to ask them nicely to stop?)
>The initiative rules mean that if you have a lot of characters with the same Dexterity, they all act simultaneously. This causes a clusterfuck as the GM has to adjudicate exactly what happens when
>Too many mechanics rely on characters having obscure skills. Creating faked documents uses the "Craft: Forgery" skill, as does identifying them. Thus, almost nobody can create forged documents, but if you can do it, nobody will ever catch you
>The agent's book gives bad advice about what stats to invest in. "Combat characters" need high DEX, but all the backgrounds suggest CON and STR instead
>Most of the published adventures have a mandatory shootout somewhere in them. If nobody in your party is kitted out for a fight, this can be a game ender, as one person shooting first with an automatic weapon can end a fight before it begins. Note that this is a problem with old school Call of Cthulhu as well, see Masks of Nyarlathotep
>The rules for activating and repressing mental disorders require the player to make the exact same SAN test three times in a row
>A bunch of other stuff that would take this post over the character limit

None of that is game breaking and you can run the system right out of the box if you're willing to accept some occasionally clumsy or ill-fitting mechanics

I think at one point I remember seeing someone notice that, if you play it 100% strictly by the book, a regular zombie can potentially survive a direct hit with an ICBM or something weird like that but that's more of a mathematical oversight that you can easily correct with common sense than a major flaw in the mechanics.

That second one sounds awesome user. Storytime?

How different is running this than running CoC?

Check out RPPR's actual play games of God's Teeth. Its a great DG campaign.

actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2015/10/systems/call-of-cthulhu/delta-green-gods-teeth-go-forth-episode-1/

It's usually more focused then CoC, since the whole point of the setting is eliminating reasons why investigators are going after the mythos.
Also in my experience DG tends to get way bleaker then even normal CoC.

I like to mix music genres when I'm running Delta Green, just Dark Jazz tends to be a bit repetitive.
Here's some stuff I've used:

Coconuts - Silver Lights
youtube.com/watch?v=CcMz3aAZDv4

Clutch - Gone Cold
youtube.com/watch?v=wZv4L_OP5Uk

Bruce Peninsula - Crapapples
youtu.be/ii1ST0s30IQ
The whole Small Town Murder Songs soundtrack is great, especially if you're running games in the deep south.

For my own version of the Teeth of God campaign (the other user is right, listen to RPPRs Podcast of this) I've used

Bayu Bayushki Bayu
youtu.be/8f8WYvAo-RA

and

Vladimir Visotsky - "Wolf Hunt"
youtu.be/TZWGRyPQUxs

Also you can't go wrong with the True Detective soundtrack.

>The interrogation rules are an opposed Persuade test. Instead of rolling POW*5 or Sanity to resist torture, you roll Persuade (to ask them nicely to stop?)
This one may be intentional from the designers, saying that ending torture from the torturee's pov relies on convincing them that the lie you've told them (or even the truth) to get them to stop is true.

Then again I'm extremely unfamiliar with the system so this may just be an example of how the game over-relies on mirrored opposed checks. And, from the little I know of the devs, they don't seem the type to be predisposed to this point of view.

It's also intended for there to be a SAN roll if you're being tortured, a big one, too. They probably wanted the persuade check to cover something like you described, after the character withstands the actual trauma of the interrogation without breaking.

The Hook is usually more than your mysterious uncle who died under mysterious circumstances. It's really not much beyond that, besides being set in modern day, but there are scenarios for the 1940s, 60s, etc.

see

Posting the /ysg/ pasta with the books since we've gotten this far

>The classics that started it all
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Call of Cthulhu Trove
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Delta Green
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L

>group is a librarian, an FBI officer, a former CIA wet works operative, and a non-profit investigator
>NPI stumbles onto a prostitution ring with some odd occurrences, calls in the cell
>Cell shows up with some nominal FBI support to track down the kidnappings, murders, and strange activities
>Turns out some jackass has been sacrificing prostitutes to make magic crystals that work like cocaine-heroine-ecstasy and selling them to powerful government individuals
>Cell moves to track down the dealer but winds up getting in a protracted firefight with the dude super human golem
>The black ops guy pours lead into the thing and eventually they manage to run it off by freezing it with a fire extinguisher because they were that desperate after running out of ammo
>Thing jumps out a window and escapes
>The players look at me agape, they're used to D&D combats where the things they fight are easy to handle
>They immediately look to black ops to procure heavier firepower
>the guy gets his hands on a few incendiary grenades
>On his way back he and FBI are attacked by super golem again on a crowded bridge in NYC
>Get in a high speed chase where the thing is chasing them and they're pouring bullets down the street
>mission has gone anything but quiet, whole city is watching this thing eat bullets from a government vehicle
>It catches them after FBI fails a drive check and crashes into a building
>Black ops narrowly kills the golem but is nearly killed
>The cell decides they've had enough, know they need to stop the wizard before shit gets worse
>They go, without any back up, to the guy's hiding spot
>Get in yet another firefight with his goons and the leader
>The investigator panics when FBI starts to bleed out and the librarian fails a san roll and bolts after the wizard cast a spell
>Pulls out incendiary grenade
>Pulls pin
>everyone at the table screams "NO!"
>She throws it in both RL and game panic
>room is rather small, only 40 ft
>Grenade's radius covers the room
>TPK

And this is how my group killed themselves. After it was done FBI realized that he could've just called for back up to handle the leader and they didn't actually need to go door kicking themselves. Only black ops survived, but MAJESTIC took care of him rather quickly.

In the old system one of my players survived a grenade in front of his feet while he had 4hp. Rolled three 1s on a 3d6.
He then proceeded to do almost the exact same thing in the next two sessions.
Always throwing grenades in confined spaces.
Always fumbling.
Always rolling absurdly low damage.
After that I ended up making a whole scenario out of his apparent immortality.

>The bond system is overloaded, taking the place of a character's social network, finances, resources and job
Not really, it adds to it. If your character is a FBI agent, he has a job, contacts and a salary. A bond would for example be his wife.
>The double tap rules mean that shooting someone twice with a rifle does more damage than emptying the magazine into them
Two shot that hit do more damage than 29 shots who miss. Also, roll only if necessary.
>The rules for recreating bonds mean that, if your sanity is low, you're better off letting a bond hit 0 and then trying to reestablish it with a CHA*5 test, rather than trying to salvage it by maintaining responsibility
I'd have to read this passage again. It didn't struck me as a deal breaker at first reading.
Persuade is probably used to to avoid telling anything incriminating or telling a believable lie (in case of torture)

>The initiative rules mean that if you have a lot of characters with the same Dexterity, they all act simultaneously. This causes a clusterfuck as the GM has to adjudicate exactly what happens when
This is the case in many other games, too, and it never bothered me.
>Too many mechanics rely on characters having obscure skills. Creating faked documents uses the "Craft: Forgery" skill, as does identifying them. Thus, almost nobody can create forged documents, but if you can do it, nobody will ever catch you
That's pretty realistic. If a fake passport is made by someone who knows what he does and has the proper equipment to do it, someone untrained won't spot it.
>The agent's book gives bad advice about what stats to invest in. "Combat characters" need high DEX, but all the backgrounds suggest CON and STR instead
Welcome to Delta Green - trust no one.
>Most of the published adventures have a mandatory shootout somewhere in them. If nobody in your party is kitted out for a fight, this can be a game ender, as one person shooting first with an automatic weapon can end a fight before it begins. Note that this is a problem with old school Call of Cthulhu as well, see Masks of Nyarlathotep
You just said that automatic weapons deal less damage than double-tapping, so how could one person end a fight before it begins? Also, who makes an investigator without combat skills or worse, a group of investigators without anyone with combat skills??? Adapting an adventure is also not forbidden.
>The rules for activating and repressing mental disorders require the player to make the exact same SAN test three times in a row
I would have to reread this passage. It didn't struck me at first lecture.

You are a good agent, agent.

How often do you guys put the actual mythos stuff in your games? I've been running a game for a few months now and just realized that's it's all been cultists who worship weird slug things, but nothing from actual lovecraft or the Cthulhu mythos at large.

I'm about 50/50 on using Mythos stuff in my games, and when I do use it I usually bury it in a few layers of actual mythology. That was always what I liked most about CoC and DG, pretty much anything you have to use to get your players spooked is on the table.

My group has played in a long running Call of Cthulhu campaign so they're familiar with a lot of the 'generic' mythos creatures. I usually invent new monsters or artifacts, or remix them.

The last game I ran featured an opposed black ops group inspired by the X-Com video games.One was spliced with shoggoth protoplasm, another had undergone mi-go gene therapy, and a third that was just a convincing electronic doll in a wheelchair controlled by a brain cylinder containing a mythos sorcerer that was installed in its chest. The group thought they were just generic evil gov't spooks until they decided to engage them.

I put in a baby dark young once; the baddies kept it in a metal crate and used it for interrogation by opening a slat and shoving a person's arm/leg inside.

AWFUL cover
"Awww man im gonna be late with these boooks aww fucckkk"

How the fuck do you produce content so easily? My biggest issue with DG is that it feels impossible to create anything original.

>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1444/69/1444698729504.pdf
Embrace unoriginality: steal from creepypasta land, and then make a link to the mythos.

>Not really, it adds to it. If your character is a FBI agent, he has a job, contacts and a salary
Bonds represent those things too. Spending your own money reduces them

>Two shot that hit do more damage than 29 shots who miss. Also, roll only if necessary
Rolling twice at a -20% chance is mathematically better than rolling once after you hit a certain Firearms skill. You can also take a laser or holo sight to eat the penalty. The solution is to disallow double tapping, since it's an optional rule and the book says that the number of bullets fired is abstract anyway

>I'd have to read this passage again. It didn't struck me as a deal breaker at first reading
It isn't, the last sentence of that post was "None of that is game breaking and you can run the system right out of the box if you're willing to accept some occasionally clumsy or ill-fitting mechanics"

(cont)

Who cares about originality? The whole point of the Cthulhu mythos has always been to iterate on other people's work

>This is the case in many other games, too, and it never bothered me
Other games having a problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem

>That's pretty realistic. If a fake passport is made by someone who knows what he does and has the proper equipment to do it, someone untrained won't spot it.
The game already has Bureaucracy for working with documents. The very inclusion of Craft: Forgery is bloat

>Welcome to Delta Green - trust no one
This isn't Paranoia. A game system shouldn't provide misleading advice about itself

>You just said that automatic weapons deal less damage than double-tapping, so how could one person end a fight before it begins?
Automatic weapons deal an average 11 damage per burst and can spray a 3 meter area, enough to encompass an entire group of characters. Double tapping with a carbine or heavy rifle does more damage on average, but only hits one target unless they're directly adjacent.

>I would have to reread this passage. It didn't struck me at first lecture.
You roll SAN to see if you lose SAN. If you lose SAN, you roll SAN again to see if you activate your disorder. If you activate your disorder, you can spend willpower and roll SAN to suppress it. It's clumsy and they should have just used the same mechanics as projecting onto bonds

bumping

I want to write something fun about a cell hunting a renegade NYC ghoul who has been using a halfway house as a buffet, due to the manager being a sympathist. As it turns out, the people who tipped off DG were themselves ghouls, who did not want to reignite the war.
However, I'm terribad at pacing, and I don't know how much information to disclose. I certainly want this to be the first time the players have ever seen a ghoul. But what else should they know?

One thing I especially want to do is to make the ghoul frightening. I could crib straight from Darkwood, and have him call the PCs "Meat" and rattle and wheeze and spit. Ijustdon'tknowhowotopaceeffectivelyplshelp

What have you shown already?

You don't want to tip the hand on what your party is dealing with too soon. How does the Ghoul dispose of the inedible bits? Homeless people aren't stupid, have the investigators start with them before getting on the regular train.

Start with the ghoul being affable. Make him pleasant. Make him cooperative on the investigation, spreading false trails to other suspects. Keep a poker face.

And then, when the investigation gets too close, lock them in a room with him and kick them down a well. Keep the affability right up until the teeth come out.

Then the voice becomes cruel and twisted, then you can call the party "Meat".

Oh shit...
the ghoul's human form could be the halfway house owner. A nice Italian-American man in his 30s. When the investigators come, he feeds them prosciutto.
To dispose of the bones, and cartilege, he smashes them with a hammer, drives upstate to his "uncle's farm", and burns them, before burying.
>False trials
Like, to other employees of the halfway house?

I think a way to up tension would be to say, "it's going to take a week for us to get a warrant for the security footage, and for it to get processed, so you're going to have to do things the old fashioned style."-- so they're forced to interview the homeless people, talk to the owner, talk to the skittish, pot smoking secretary, and to the grouchy, former veteran who cooks the meals.

The one problem with this is that I can't do an Italian accent.

Got Cthulhu Britannica?

>You roll SAN to see if you lose SAN. If you lose SAN, you roll SAN again to see if you activate your disorder. If you activate your disorder, you can spend willpower and roll SAN to suppress it. It's clumsy and they should have just used the same mechanics as projecting onto bonds

I've read everything. As I understand it, these are three different things.

1. You roll against SAN to see if you lose SAN and how much you lose.
1.1 If you lost any SAN you can spend Will Power to reduce the SAN loss. It's automatic, no roll is required.

2. If you lose more than 5 points of SAN in one time you automatically get a temporary insanity.
2.1 You can repress a temporary insanity by spending WP. A bond get automatically reduced by the same amount. Then you roll SAN.

3. If you SAN is reduced to Breaking Point or under, you automatically gain a disorder. The disorder is latent and gets activated next time you fail a SAN roll.
3.1 You can repress an acute episode of disorder by spending WP. A bond get automatically reduced by the same amount. Then you roll SAN.

2.1 and 3.1 are the same - you have to roll SAN twice (provided you have enough WP). If that second SAN roll gives you herpes just thinking about it - don't use it. Make resisting an automatic success. The author probably wanted to add some uncertainty and included a roll, hence the second SAN roll. You could also make it a something else roll if you want (POW, INT, the average of POW and INT, 50%, an opposed roll vs. a roll of the GM...).

Same goes for initiative. If for you it's a huge problem that people with the same DEX score act simultaneously, make initiative be DEX +1d10 or 1d6, or just go clockwise around the table.

>This isn't Paranoia. A game system shouldn't provide misleading advice about itself
Having "fighters" having high CON and STR is realistic in term of background. High DEX is better in game term, if you're a powergamer, but it's unrealistic. The selection process of "fighter" units like MARSOC, Navy SEALS, Delta Force, US Army Ranger, FBI HRT, US Marshalls, etc. is usually more geared towards CON (cardiovascular endurance, toughness), STR (strength and explosiveness), and POW (mental toughness/willpower). DEX and INT are less important. It's probably even better to be pretty balanced in all those stats rather than having an incredibly high stat in one, and one that is abysmal - but again, that's "background realistic" and not geared towards optimal gaming performance.

You can always make a youtube playlist or something for the music(well, assuming your players sensibly use adblock, at least).

I have zero experience with playing online. Would it be possible to upload the tracks directly in Roll20 as it seems to have a jukebox function?

Read the science tab on news websites, if something sounds fringey or weird give it a mythos background.
I plan to write a scenario about forest bathing that will somehow tie into Shub-Niggurath

Breaking under torture means that you'll tell your torturers whatever you think will make them stop, NOT that you'll tell them the truth.

What the fuck is 'POW'?

>What the fuck is 'POW'?

A guy who tried to kill you and failed so now you have to care for him, and you are not allowed to harm him.

Your POWer. It's a stat in every Runequest/Cthulhu/BRP system game, measures your spiritual strength, mojo, magic points, etc.

Nope

Does anyone have the Handler's book in .pdf?

Forget this guy. Does anyone have all of the paid .pdfs?

Look above

So what's the differences between old CoC DG and new DG, both in game mechanics and story?

Old one is CoC 6th edition, new one is a "new" system. In the old one, Delta Green, was a conspiracy. In the new one the conspiracy still exist, but there is also an almost-official Delta Green agency. That's about it.

Mostly but to go more in depth about the mechanics, it's basically CoC 6e with skills more tailored to trained government employees rather than lilting academics. The sanity system takes some notes from Unknown Armies (you now lose SAN from three sources: Violence, Helplessness, and Unnatural) and it's possible to become desensitized to Violence and Helplessness at the cost of some social ability due to picking up a thousand yard stare. There is also a totally new Bonds mechanic where you can reduce SAN loss by projecting it onto important people in your character's life, it's basically a "don't freak out during the Shoggoth fight but go home and hit your wife during an argument" mechanic. It really fits the bleaker tone of the game.

See

>new edition
I know they're working on an even newer one, did it come out yet?

the players handbook (OP's Pic) is out, and the game is 100% playable, but the actual 'core' rulebook has not been released yet.

Delta Green's new, current edition is now its own system, though still cribbed heavily from its Call of Cthulhu roots.

Recently a Call of Cthulhu 7th edition came out as well, which I am torn on. I like some aspects of it (rolling redundant skills together like the gajillion melee weapon specific stats becoming a single 'brawling' skill and sneak and hide becoming just stealth) but really dislike others (calculating every one of your skills at full, 1/2, and 1/5 value for different levels of check difficulty).

As far as I know, there isn't another, even newer Delta Green or Cthulhu edition dropping anytime soon.

>a Call of Cthulhu 7th edition

I'm not certain what edition my CoC book is, but please tell me the 7th edition has that ace colour plate of the creepy doctor pulling on a latex glove and a fold-out size chart with a giant dhole (IIRC) dwarfing anything else.

Seriously, that fucking doctor is the creepiest piece of Cthulhu mythos art I can remember.

>As far as I know, there isn't another, even newer Delta Green or Cthulhu edition dropping anytime soon.
I think what user is talking about is the Case Officer's Handbook which is the book filled with updated lore and GM resources and is due to release "SOON". The Agent's Handbook is the one that's currently out and just contains the rules and info for the players.

Oh man, Mr. Shiny! That's the 4th edition of the game, but he even has a little portrait in 7th edition. He's kind of a series mascot at this point, appearing in multiple modules over the last few decades. (My group played a 1990's campaign and met him first there. We shat bricks when we encountered him again...playing as our 1920's characters.)

Right, gotcha. Earlier posts were correct, the game is perfectly playable with just the Agent's Handbook, but they're planning to release more for the current system.

Here's the art of him from the 1990's scenario...

Are there any other books you'd suggest, other than the player's handbook? (Like some of the older books).

Oh yes, that's the motherfucker all right. It's funny that out of all the art in the Cthulhu mythos that I have seen, the ones that I remember most vividly is that arsehole doctor.

If nothing else, the original DG book from the 90s has enough background lore to give you some scenario ideas.

Mr. Shiny is such a weird throwback to when CoC was still goofy and pulpy as hell, and everyone writing for it seemed obsessed with Michael Shea.

Yup, Shea's 'Fat Face' story is pretty much responsible for Mr.Shiny and his stealth-shoggoth buddies.

fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios
These are a bunch of mini-scenarios written for DG that you could draw inspiration from.