Does anyone have any experience with Ironclaw...

Does anyone have any experience with Ironclaw? It looks like a genuinely interesting system that makes combat quick and lethal while also having a strong emphasis on narrative. Is it as good as it seems or no?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/n7gz7WJv
flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a pretty good system.

If you don't mind me asking what are your personal favorite things about the system? I'm a forever DM stuck in D&D because that's all my players want to play, so I would really like to know what exactly is good about the system.

I did enjoy yojimbo. It has a really cool dice mechanic

It's actually better than it seems, especially if you have a good GM for it.

Nothing like armored dinosaurs and explosives to really get a game going.

How does Yojimbo work?

I would not go from D&D to jade/iron claws. They are super deadly and it will put people off trying new systems out forever.

That's great to hear. I'm really interested in playing or running a game of Ironclaw but I'm not really sure where it's strengths lie just from reading the rule book.

I know at least, I personally wouldn't mind the lethal nature of the game as I've honestly toned down the combat in my D&D games where sometimes my group will go a couple of sessions with only one quick combat encounter. I did talk to my players about Ironclaw's damage system and most of them seemed open to the idea of it.

Good luck then bro.
Iron claw definitely has a furry tinged to it, if our and your buddy's are olay with it then that's cool.
Like I said above I only play yojimbo what is magicless rules of the system.
Healing takes a long time and getting cut is deadly. If ironclaW's the same then you need to have a group that understand they can talk their way out.
Maybe have some sort of re roll once per night thing.

Shadow box the system, or use some pregens to introduce the system and the big bad without the pcs all dieing right off the bat.

I played it a long time ago. The main gimmick is that you have different sized dice from d4 to d12 that you allocate to your 4 main stats plus your race and your career.Plus you have different skills that contribute different sized dice. Whenever you make a skill check, you roll all those different dice together and order them by number. The difficulty is the same way, some collection of different dice. Then you match up each highest dice in order

This the game where the cover pretty much sucks, but then the main book is filled with exquisite 5/5 A+++ anthromorph fantasy art without any fetish connotations? Or am I thinking of another game?

The ruleset could be pretty lethal iirc from another thread?

Oh, so that's the difference between Ironclaw and Yojimbo. I honestly kind of want to try both. Is this simply your personal preference or do you not like how magic works in Ironclaw?

Yeah, I understood that from reading the rules
My only bit of contention is do you just auto fail !,y skill checks that you aren't trained in? And isn't that pretty deadly? A simple river could cost a character with no marks in swim their lives

Truth , I ran it from pdfs and the yojimbo one was the cleanest. Like reading wise,

If your can't swim then don't go in a river so deep you can drown. Makes sense really.

No that's this one, and the second edition is mainly the good art with the legacy edition being a mixed bag in the main book and fantastic in all the supplements.

Rolls are made with Stat die, Skill die, bonuses. So, you'd just be rolling Body, which is risky but not impossible. Now, this does bump the chance of a Botch up a bunch, which is the big thing that makes d4 skills so important, which means you should be careful with it.

While that does make sense I can see it posing a slight problem when trying to set up challenges for the players as a GM. It just seems real prone to shit going south when you only wanted to challenge them a little bit.

Oh. That makes a ton of sense. Thanks for explaining.

This game sounds better and better the not I hear about it.

*the more I hear about it*

I would love to actually play it.

Honestly I'd love to run a game but I'm already running two games I feel like I'm stretching myself thin.

I might run a game later once a campaign finishes o

This Chris Goodwin fellow basically makes me want to play the game unconditionally.

The book has some surprisingly decent. Even the less than stellar art has that 80s anime old charming aesthetic to it.

If there is anything I've learned form watching video feed from China it's that people who can;t swim need to stay the fuck away from water.

Mechanically, I like the way it works. The feeling of the die ratings for core stats, race, and class means you get a decent ability to feel like you're emphasising the bits of your character that matter to them.

It has some clunkiness in places, but the later edition fixes a lot of that.

If you're familiar with Cortex Plus, using some of C+ to hack across Ironclaw lets you have a decent amount of room to homebrew things if you want a setting of Myriad Humanoid Races.

>A bishop flanked by a member of the Swiss Cheese Guard

>Iron claw definitely has a furry tinged to it
A long while ago some of us tried to translate some DnD/fantasy races into Ironclaw.

Here's what I have left over from that thread. Turned out mediocre but it could be improved and used, if interested: pastebin.com/n7gz7WJv

It was a damn fine system. Then one day I went to a con and played some pick up games of it...and realized that everyone who plays it is a fucking furry. When I got home I took all my Ironclaw books to the local used book store and got rid of that shit, because holy fuck no.

maybe just take the system and get a new setting

If you enjoy something, does it really matter who else enjoys it?

Yes.

Why though? If you don't play with them or talk to them then they have no effect on the system you enjoy.

>Played with a few people who are from a specific crowd (probably-vocal congoers)
>Must be everyone is like this!

Side note, I'm kinda disappointed this was the furriest response pic I had.

A system with no players serves no purpose, if you want to run a particular games and you don't have a regular group who are up for anything, you're going to have to venture out into the fanbase at some point.

If you liked Ironclaw and were not a furry, what made you think that you were the only none-furry who liked the game?
Also TTRPGs are super malleable and you can remove/replace anything you don't like it.

It does when you're a dumb teenager. Source: I used to be a dumb teenager.

Geez dude get a life.

It's actually a pretty good system if you can get a group that isn't in it for yiffing.
It is definately harder on the role playing that the RPG. If you go out and try to murderhobo, you will probably die.

Yes, it's good.
If you have good, non autistic friends, then play it with them.
If you have autistic friends, make all the furries into elves and dwarves and gnolls and shit, and run it then as your OC system.

i.. is that... a furry rpg?
wtf

How new are you, m80? There's a whole bunch.

this is litteraly my second thread on this board
try stop me from newfagging , its futile

Literally go spend a week on 1d4 chan. You will learn faster, and become a productive member of society in a fraction of the time. And you'll learn what this place was, not what it is now.

Alright, I'll summarise.

It's a system that has anthro animals as PCs. Yes, furries.

You're not looking at a system designed purely for yiffing. There are, in fact, not direct rules for sex any more than in D&D. You could easily homebrew them in in the same way a dozen variants on "Roll con + perform" get gigglingly thrown into our teenage shitty D&D games when you roll sexplomacy on the lusty barwench.

It's mechanically not bad. A tad clunky in places, but that's largely the comparative inelegance of systems with a lot of rules.

Quite simply it's a system of having dice pools for relevant stat plus relevant skill plus other stuff, vs static target numbers or enemy pool, for most things. Those stats are Mind Body Will Speed Career and Species. So you're a fuckin' good bodyguard? Sweet, roll Career (Bodyguard) plus Observation to notice that someone's trying to move through a crowd a little *too* subtly for your liking. Meanwhile the Owl Furry in the party, while a scholar as his highest stat, has Species Owl as his second highest stat, so he's got a good chance of also making that as a Species + Observation roll, as long as his Observation is OK.

sounds pretty cool actually , tho id still preffer to not have fur

well cya in a week i guess

Well that's why you play a lizard dude! No, but seriously, there are houserules available for humans in Ironclaw if you're that type of weird who has to be the human dude in Redwall.

Also, take 1d4chan with a grain of salt, some entries are full of cancerous bullshit, and a lot of it is old memes. (But some of those old memes are great, too.)

Well you're in luck, nobody's gonna break into your gaming group and brainwash everyone you play with to want to have fursuit sex with you, or play this system.

And if you want a slightly more hard (in that you can't be too overzealous in what you fight) system for fantasy that can handle PCs of widely varying races fairly well, the main draw of Ironclaw is that it lets both race and class be major, minor, or somewhere in the middle in their importance and mechanical impact on a character's ability.

But nobody's gonna force you to play, and furries being the easy targets of the internet's asshole is long since past.

That said, if you want to laugh at furries, then have a look at the results of Rainfurrest 2015, the "unofficial" diaperfur convention (that is, not marketed as diaperfur HQ, but they swarmed it like brazillians flocking to a shit F2P MMO)
>imgur.com/a/qcPC8

I feel more conventions need this reminder.

it's a really good system, my only issues with 2e were that it doesn't seem to explain some things it carried over from 1e, like hands measurement, and formatting issues.
also, some things about character creation just aren't touched upon until later chapters, or in the worst cases you have to infer them from rules later on.
biggest example i can think of is starting gifts - each player character starts with the personality, language, local knowledge, and most importantly combat save gifts, but you'd only figure this out from going to the character sheet at the back of the book or reading through later sections to find references to them.

other than that, it's pretty solid, the dice system is nice, and jesus does it have a good setting.

the species art is all REALLY GOOD, it's a shame more of the art in the book wasn't like that.

bump

>Hate furries
>Pick up obscure game marketed explicity towards furries
>Go to a con, known for their austistic crowds
>Try to gather a group at said convention with said aforementioned game marketed explicitly towards furries
>Players are all furries
>HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN???!!

Not him, but I liked the original setting, especially the way the backstory is told in a manner open to interpretation, the various races that are distinct but not cliché, the combat and magic system.
It's simple and effective for medieval adventures.

The gap between his art and most of the rest is baffling. At that point hire him to do the entire book, or at least look for someone with a similar style. I had tears of pain in my eyes at some point.

All the work he did for Ironclaw:
flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/

They're usually very good, too. Ironclaw, Albedo, Bunnies & Burrows, Usagi Yojimbo,... They were made by professionals, so they are good games before being furry games.
You can't say the same thing about most homebrews or games by amateurs Hc Svnt Dracones