Are human spellswords a thing in Warhammer...

Are human spellswords a thing in Warhammer? Reading up on the lore and miniatures it seems like there's the typically robed wizards and nothing else.

I don't think so, but there are still plenty of magical swords and shit people can still get.

Vampires and Chaos Sorcerers are all capable of kicking physical ass, not to mention other savage races like orc shamans and ogre butchers.

In-setting it takes an ass-load of time to learn how to magic without going nuts, resulting in magic users spending 90% their time studying and being self-righteous.

Bright Wizard literally have a spell to summon a sword that makes them completely badass. All Wizards get access to magic armor. So choose Aqshy & go nuts

If you mean standard fighters who pick up the occasional energy blast, not really. I mean there is the Ruby Ring, but otherwise standard humans have to spend a bunch of time learning and aren't really the type to worry about swords and armor since they can melt people with a look. Otherwise, you're talking legendary figures who are both fighters and wizards but are super special snowflakes.

Every caster in the game carries some form of sword/axe/whatever, but they will very much get facerolled if they have to fight a dedicated combat character one on one. There are exceptions, but they all tend to be special characters.

Depends on how you are defining a spell sword. Pretty much everyone who uses magic in Warhammer can also swing around a sword and there are plenty of hardcore dudes who can do both really well. They just aren't called spell swords.

It's a fucking retarded label that shouldn't even fucking exist. Jesus fucking christ I hate all these shit-defined "classes" that only make sense for really limited video games and completely fall apart when things start opening up

To kind of roll these two together, Chaos Sorcerers do not care about going batshit, and so can devote more time to learning how to delicately insert an axe in someone's face and less on how to avoid the warp overtaking him even though it is a good pain

Humans? Not really. It takes decades of learning for a human to master just one wind of magic, and that leaves no time for combat training.
HOWEVER
Vampires are crazy strong and immortal, so have the strength and time to bother about combat training.
Elves are innately magical, and so some exceptional individuals can master both magic and combat (see; Malekith, Eltharion the Grim, among others)
Champions of Tzeentch are gifted with magical power by their patron, meaning that martial champions are also powerful sorcerers as well.
I think there a few other spellsword-types as well, but I can't recall them right now.

Kind of, studying magic in Warhammer is an academic discipline and to be adept in it takes decades. So most Wizards are not the sword swinging type.

But there is no rule against it, only that Wizards cannot effectively wear armour as it interferes with casting spells. Really the main reason they don't exist is that it's such a waste, if you had trained as hard as a Wizard you just wouldn't get involved with melee, dying from a rock to the back of the head from a smelly Bretonnian peasant isn't really the way to go when you can create fire tornadoes.

I could see some schools not disapproving of it/seeing some use for it.

Shadows would appreciate someone who can do subtle work even without magic, as the magic can enhance what they can already do. Still, that's more thief/assassin work than great swordsman.

Nature likely appreciates someone with the physical power to actually...adventure and travel in nature. So a decent hand with a woodsman's axe is likely appreciated.

Metal isn't just alchemy, it's also swordsmithing so are likely quite a few that appreciate a proper understanding of what they craft.

And that is not even the case in quite a few video games - one example being the one game Veeky Forums approves off - Dwarf Fortress

While magic is still limited at the moment (necromancy is really only thing you have) a necromancer is just as likely to be a death obsessed commoner, as a 5 shields (and a greatsword) wielding scorpion woman.

So yeah one of the best fantasy simulators shows that armor is important thing in battle

>I hate all these shit-defined "classes" that only make sense for really limited video games

Hey. It's not videogames. It's called "Dungeons and Dragons." Get it right. The rest of the sentence is fine though and thoroughly correct.

Nah, D&D uses Gish or Swordmage (For the class itself)

Spellsword is such a lame class concept.

DUDE HES GOOD AT EVERYTHING LMAO

Warrior priests and fire wizards with the flaming swords of ruin spell

>All Wizards get access to magic armor.
This is wrong

But that's the opposite of what a spellsword is you dingus. They should be worse than mages at magic and worse at combat than a warrior. Their advantage is in their flexibility.

You can get artifacts that let you cast skills, if you are ork or elf or chaosite such class will work, for a normal human you wont be able to construct such character unless he is some very old powerful mage. You can make a melee weapon work for your mage against regular enemies easily, though, but a normal mage will be more powerful

They tend to spend their time learning how to use their magic to its full potential and how not to fall to chaos.

Mastering their magic isn't easy, though it would probably be more apt to say it isn't quick.

>I heard you were talkin' shit