What's the most popular sport in your setting, Veeky Forums?

What's the most popular sport in your setting, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=xcrawl
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana
legoquest.wikia.com/wiki/Squareball
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dungeon Crawling.

My setting is a polytheistic early 19th century Imperial empire fuckfest, so I guess polo, dueling, and, depending on the country, bullfights.

Takes place in our world so the most popular sport on earth which is football

spectator sport: elephant racing

Depends on the region. In the Gothamesque crime city the most popular sport was pugilism, while the most popular game was a card game based on poker but where you got a pair of cards and then rolled dice to see what number you added to it.

In Paz, City of Wonder! the government was a magocracy led by dragons, and they had deadly races where poor people would be given 10 days to get across a desert full of monsters before the dragons came and ate them. Their second favorite was dueling, but the rise of the dragonlords had led to that becoming less popular as the mages always lost. For games they played a game where the table rolls a single dice, and each of the six players tries to use telekinesis to nudge it as it rolled so it fell on their number.

Airship racing is the most popular world wide.
On the current continent my players are on is the Race of the Mirrored Sun, a 300 mile triathlon involving horseback riding, steam locomotive driving, and finally a race to the finish by any means you see fit

bloodbowl

>dungeon crawling sport
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=xcrawl
It's a pretty fun concept that was thrown around back in 2013.

Probably the Arena.
In the Dragon-Empire, there are daily bouts, resulting in the death of hundreds each year.
All in the glorious name of the Emperor.
Who is a Dragon.

>suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=xcrawl
Well shit, now I want to run a game like this.

Fox throwing

#12 place world wide . Soccer is the most popular sport on earth

Actually, going purely by numbers, Formula One is the most popular sport worldwide.

Actually, going purely by available tea breaks, Cricket is the best sport in the world.

the non-copyright infringing equivalent to blitz ball.

my setting doesn't have sports since it's pre-industrial.

I guess you think King Henry the Eighth broke his leg from sheer fatness then or that Golf is a new thing.

haven't thought about it too much, admittedly, now I need to, especially because I've done craploads of autistic shit for different cultures and races.

But I'll bet you drow and high elves are totally big into badminton.

There was something like this advertised in Dragon magazine some time ago, iirc

Let me see if I can figure out what it was...

Basketball.
It actually has a minor religion dedicated to it.
Clerics of B-Ball are in fact a real, if rare, thing.

Bingo but with R'lyehian glyphs, when you win you shout out a curse known only to eldritch abominations and your opponents are swallowed into the void.

For the masses, chariot racing in the larger cities, and calcio.fiorentino. Also common are competitive gymnastic/olympic style events, which cover all the old timey greek sports. Gladiatorial fights like martial art competition, but absent the Spartacus trope of every fight ending in death. Polo and a golf and croquet equivalent for the richbitches.

Survival

Bullet Ball.

Made me remember this
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana

Now I want to play a Cleric of Maradona.

Boufball.

>Badminton
>Not Squash
High Elves need to have the most ridiculously silly upper class sports humanly imaginable

Conveniently, Soccer is also Football. just had the wrong pic.

the most noble of all the martial arts

My setting is currently not-Imperial Spain populated by elves, so the very real answer is bullfighting. One of the players is actually a Matador-turned-rogue after he was humiliated in the ring by a particularly mean bull.

>mobile link
fuck off

If I hadn't read the file name I would've assumed this was some sort of historical dance battle

Competitive Raping

i Indeed invented some kind of Sport for the Oni in my setting.

They play a varied form of Volleyball, using Canonballs. Bulky and muscular as Oni are in my setting, its a very popular sport among these guys. Constantly catching and throwing a massy canonball might be close to impossible for other folks though.

Drownball

How do you calculate scores ?
From the way it's worded it doesn't seem to be two people trying to rape each other.

Well he does have the Hand of God.

X-Crawl?

In the country my character's in, probably something gay like netball.

Home country's national sport was gladitorial combat.

Don't reply to trolls.

Ballstuff. It involves doing stuff with a ball.

>pic unrelated

Lesbian sex is a performance sport in my setting, much like figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics in our world are thinly veiled sexploitation. Except that of course elves would be horrified at the idea that the Olympics features mostly underaged girls, some intentionally forced into delayed puberty.

That sounds like Dark Elder sport actually, something in between arena matches

>implying Formula One is a sport

Next you'll be tying to claim NASCAR is a sport

Well it's a performance art performed by teams. I suppose with dark elves it would be gladiatorial, but this is more like synchronized swimming. It's supposed to show grace, artistry, compassion, poise, and athleticism.

The idea is that players hear about it, roll their eyes at magical realm, and then I have an elf character hear about and react with horror and disgust to genuine human sports that boil down to legitimized sexualization of minors.

Drownba-
Fuck

Baseball.

Kick the autistic.

They have knight games with a pro-wrestling flavor. You know, Jousts, Duels, Races and the like. All the big competitors have theme names like The Ammory Sun(only son of his house which has lots of daughters, wears a sun-emblazoned helm, etc). There's circuits for Everymen which allow foreigners and criminals to compete, Commonmen which includes any legal citizen of the country, and Noblemen which, of course, are only knights and high nobility. Lot's of showmanship and the like, but they get bloodsport elements in by killing crooks.

Elf Hunting

>It's a pretty fun concept that was thrown around back in 2013.

Xcrawl was written back in 2004 for 3.5, and it wasn't a new concept when that book came out. It's not a Veeky Forums thing

Pokemon battling.

In my cyberpunk setting most sports that exist now, still exist and still are popular (hockey, football/soccer, US football, baseball, MMA fights...).

One of the most hyped sports is anti-grav jet racing (idea totally ripped from WipeOut games). Huge mag-lev tracks are built between or around cities. Rocket engine powered "jets" race over this surface. Races always attract huge crowd. With speeds up to 950 km/h it's one of the most dangerous sports (at this speed an accident means death). Some tracks use electromagnetic catapults propelling the jets at supersonic speeds. One of the most famous tracks is built between Hong Kong and Macau. It is about 160 km long. Its many treacherous curves and electronic catapults make it one of the deadliest tracks on the planet and thus a favorite among bookmakers. Pilots have to make between 5 to 9 turns depending on the track's length.

The most famous teams are:
AG-SYS (Japan)
Assegai Development (South Africa)
Auricom (USA)
EG-R Technologies (China)
FEISAR (European Federation)
Goteki 45 (Pacific Islands)
Harimau International (Malaysia)
Icaras (UK)
Mirage (UAE)
Piranha Advancement (China)
Qirex (Russia)
Triakis Industries (Australia)
Xios International (Finland)

Another popular sport is Speedball. For those who don't know the video game of the same name, it's a mix between handball, American football, calcio storico and ultra-violence. The game is played by two teams of nine players on an enclosed court with a goal at each end. The amount of points that a team receives for scoring a goal starts at 10 but can be increased to 15 or 20 via the use of score multipliers located on the walls of the pitch. The same amount of points for scoring a goal is given for injuring a player from the opposing team. When a player is injured, he is replaced by a substitute (teams can have up to 21 members, 9 field players and 12 substitutes). A match lasts three rounds of 20 minutes with 20 minutes breaks between the rounds.

Robot boxing.

OTTERS
T
T
E
R
S

tfw even your fictional teams can't win
Being OSU grad is suffering

The annual Regatta. 21 of the largest port trade cities send out their best sailboats and have a week long race around the southern islands. The popularity and competitiveness of the sport has caused an increase in sailing technology to the point that we have ultra lightweight fiberglass and aluminium hulls and polymer sails in a typical fantasy setting

LOOK GUYS THE MURICAN THINKS HANDEGG IS POPULAR.

gladiatorial battles, its like wrestling so of course completely staged.

Even the beasts are in on it.

Fuck off Ian Brandon Anderson

bandy because i love hockey and that was the best way to include it

Lucha

In setting, its the result of penal colony criminals and natives getting together for a rousing night of ritual combat and sick poses. As half of the population is undead, it's gotten pretty silly.

Well, Bloodbowl is pretty much that, except with more fantasy creatures and less corruption.

How

Is that the Cenobite Butterball in the sea?

traditional wrestling. It's cheaper than arming everyone up for a joust and peasants can do their own version.

and its actually fun since, you know, it has actual murder into it

>Bloodbowl has Chaos mutated teams
>Somehow still has less corruption than the NFL

We got football (soccer), we got a freefall variety of it, HoopBall which is like a mix of basketball and that south american ritual sport, Freefall HoopBall, we got Sumo, we got Exhibition Match Cyborg Sumorai, we got tons of video game tournaments, we got a form of PUBG that basically involves actually dropping people onto an island covered in simulated weapons and the winner gets an actual chicken dinner, we got a LOT of stuff. Popularity varies from region to region.

...oh and we have a variant of American Football literally called Handegg.

Does it involve reinforced ostrich eggs?

Card games, usually on motor cycles.

This, there's also guilds dedicated to routing adventurers towards quests and monster-slaying competitions with taxidermy parades and everything.

elfrape

Hunting, unironically.

It's Rugby

xorvintaal

Everyone has football armor though.

Ritualistic 3v3 Warlock Basketball

Co-ordinated group dancing battles

The olympics

There are no sports.

My setting is hell. Everyone is spawned naked in a dungeon with horrible monsters. If they die, they are reborn in a random spot.

This continues forever. There is no way out.

Keijo.

Rape.
I'm not even joking.

Nah, Rugby's the Albion League

Hey, you Brits are the ones who trashed the names you invented.

Association Football -> Asoccer -> Soccer
Rugby Football -> Rugby elsewhere, and Football in the US, further rules modifications followed in each.

It's like people don't even remember the original definition of football - ball sports played ON FOOT, by PEASANTS, as opposed to the HORSEBACK sports played by nobility.

A special kind of tennis that requires antigravity technology.

Depends on the region:

One area has traditional sport of women participating in one on one martial contests. The caveat being that the area is a free floating platform over actual sea water and most important matches are held during the stormiest time of the year.

Further out east the !cowboys of my setting have a contest to see who's the best wrangler where you have to rope the Bull, leap onto it's back and ride it until it tires out. This is important as you not only win the bull but it's horns can be given to your future bride who'll wear it during her wedding.

Further north you have wrestling matches between nobles and is often a way to help various scholar resolve their differences

Way to underrated post.

>Actually, going purely by numbers, Formula One is the most popular sport worldwide.
According to my slapdash internet research:

>F1 had a total global television audience of 425 million people during the course of the 2014 season.

>3.2 billion people worldwide watched the 2010 World Cup - 46.4 percent of the world.

So you appear to be way off.

I made rules for Ja'La dh Jin (from Sword of Truth) for my 5e game. It's like rugby but deathier.

Squareball

legoquest.wikia.com/wiki/Squareball

that's how you know the setting is realistic.

They have to crawl through dungeons? Your setting must have really small dungeons.

>meme in which we joke about how Americans don't know what the fuck a ball looks like
>punchline depends on not knowing what a fucking egg looks like
You're gonna tell me you'd eat an egg that narrowed on both ends?

>You're gonna tell me you'd eat an egg that narrowed on both ends?
Sure. Why not?

Fight fucking.
Basically a man and woman enter the area and try to rape the other

How do you decide the winner and loser?

>dungeon crawling sport
Fort Boyard with random encounters.

a game of chess with living pieces.

Go back to class Harry.