/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-billowing-swirl-of-red-sand-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
If you had to, how would incorporate that old SF game into the world of darkness?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=geYZzFwSI7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If I wanted to do ludicrous gun spinning what skill would that fall under? Firearms is actual skill with shooting the guns, not showy tricks right?

youtube.com/watch?v=geYZzFwSI7k

Ok I was reading some genius stuff describing vampires as 'hemophages' and werewolves as a 'self propagating pattern in the human genome'
How would the more scientific minded genius describe prometheans, beasts and such?

Hmm, I'd say it would either be Dexterity+Expression(Gun twirling Specialization) or possibly Presence+Firearms.

What's the most devastation a Master of Forces could dish out?

Nothing beyond 'campus' sized. Mages are actually rather lack buster.

Other splats can reach for much longer distances. Werewolves can destroy shit for miles around with that element gift thing.

Ignoring SNF-type bullshit, they could turn all of the energy within a campus-sized area into kinetic energy, while simultaneously amplifying it with a Perfecting forces spell.

That would cause a pretty colossal explosion.

Or with just 2 dots, turn gravity within that area upside down.
Perhaps not the most catastrophic for most buildings, but all the people outside would certainly die.

The kinetic blast would only reach as far as the campus size limit though.

Why must you do this.

You create a gravity funnel, does the object lose all velocity the moment it leaves it all fall directly down?
No.

Same principle.
Stop talking about your "balancing" judgements.

The effects of a spell can reach past the initial conditions. It's the same reason why if say you cast a Space Knowing spell to locate something w/ advanced duration you'd still know where it was even if it left the original area of the spell.

This applies to like half the setting.

You are a faggot.

If you are using a knowing space practice to locate something then you need to cast it as a area of effect and then you will "know" if the thing you want to find is within that area.

If it isnt within that area then you wont get to know about it, and if you have more than a instant duration you might know when it enters or leaves the area.

To find something outside the area of effect of the spell or outside your sensory range then you are effectively using sympathatic magic on the object kinda like scrying it but instead of viewing its location you just know where it is.

suck it well magefags

What is this supposed to mean exactly? I'm not seeing anything trigger-worthy.

I guess I will just have to save my Magefaggotry for something else.

Well, post-Avatar Storm Union is a shadow of its former self. I see nothing wrong with this.

The Void Engineers have dealt with things 100x more powerful than Antediluvians out in the Deep Umbra.
It's a scary thought, that. Threat Null is the Technocracy in its prime, but reversed, and wanting to come back home, to Earth.

It's bad news. Every other faction would be done for.

That's more criticising pre-reformation Technocracy.
Which is a willfully ignorant bunch of straw men.

>It's bad news. Every other faction would be done for.
Good news though, Dimensional Anomaly is still going strong, and the Void Engineers are keeping it that way.

>Guide to the Technocracy points out that infrared on a crowd lets them instantly count the number of vampires in an area by just subtracting lower heat signatures.

Its like the writers are hacks or something.

White Wolf writers were not very good at their job.

>Nothing beyond 'campus' sized

That's really not how it works.

For instance, a master of Forces could create a radiation and gravity tornado the size of a town, and then proceed to move it around (of if has Mind, just let it wreck havoc on its own accord).

Postcognition. It hugely changes how investigation works.

That said, I wouldn't change or remove the power. It's just something to be aware of in prep.

Actually their maximum AoE is twice that. 320 subjects up to size 35 for a -12 penalty. That would require a lot of attention from their dicepool, but with another Reach they can make the Duration last for an hour with no further penalties and with Potency as the Primary Spell Factor, they can get Potency up to 5, no penalties. And so that means they can cast a spell twice the size of a 'campus', which can mean a roving hurricane or fire tornado about that size.

>oWoD
I care why?

The book literally says that, with one Reach, you can track the subject even if it leaves the area.

God I hate postcognition.
With smart questioning, it kills so much goddamn mystery.
At one. Fucking. Dot.

Yeah, too bad there isn't a spell to block it. Or a whole magic system you can use to create spells to fool it. Or a way to build mysteries that are more complex than "This guy kills/steals/does this right here". Or masks.

Just awful.

The problem is, user, that means with every important mystery, I somehow have to justify the existence of either an Imbued Item or someone with the capacity to establish Temporal Shielding (which may still be easily surpassed by a persistent Mage, given CoWs).

Plus, you think they won't just use Postcognition at each and every opportunity? With enough well structured questions asked, you can solve every major mystery you come across. And it's not like there's a limit on how many questions you can ask if you're either Time Ruling 2, or have a Rote.

Hmm, wait no, I meant Divination, not Postcognition.
Divination is busted.
Postcognition is fine.

Divination doesn't let you ask questions about the past or present. Only the future. And a specific future at that. You also need to know what questions to ask. And also have Time, which they may very well not. I doubt you've actually read or played Mage either, as the book advises you, when making Mysteries, to not have the whole thing set up in advance, and to get used to playing off the players' decisions. Which helps avoid scenarios like "Oh shit, he's using Divination on the traitor's future, the mystery is FUCKED." Although even then you could spin it into the Cabal has to stop the traitor from doing whatever disastrous, traitorous act your player discovered with Divination.

That's what I mean when I say it changes prep. You have to make sure there's still something to solve even if the party can have an eyewitness to every incident they find out about.

Did they ever get around to making a void engineer counterpart in TN, or is just super spooky secret still?

Nope. 320 targets would need to be visible when the spell is cast, since your not using area as the means of targeting.

You dont get a hurricane the size of 320 people you fucking spazz.

2spooky4u

Stop being a fag, mysteries arnt always "who" done it but also "why".
Just because you have evidence somebody did something, you still have to find out the motive etc if you want to stop them blah blah blah.
If you cant play round divination then go fucking play something else.

Why are you trying to nerf mage Wolf Faggot go yiff somewhere else

You are, quite literally, a fucktarded mongoloid.

It literally describes it as "area of effect can't be increased further". So you have an area of effect, unless you want to point me to where it says you're specifically targeting individual subjects by that point. Which it doesn't. Love it when people who don't even read the book try to argue the rules. Or if they do read it, they just pop in for a quick look and come right back out to go "ackchyually". Which is how you wind up with idiots like you.

>Allowing unlimited questions
>Shit ST detected

That gif is amazing.

What are you fucking on about?

I know campus is the max area, there is no max number of targets however, but to cast on all those large number of targets they all need to be visible or in touch range you cockmongo.

Go back and reread what i was replying too you spazz.

Campus isn't the max area. The max area is twice that, in which you can affect 320 subjects.

I like how the threads have done downhill enough that they're literally just 'no you're a fag' 'no you'. I didn't think it could get worse. I was wrong.

How does it feel to be part of the problem?

no you fucking spazz, if you fit 1000000 people into a campus they will all be under the spell effect or 320 separate people.

cant you read, area of effect cant be increased further, the last entry is campus you mongo.

About the same as being a spectator.

That's fair.

You do realize area and target numbers are separate right?

If you fit 600 into a small room and choose a small room area the spell will get all 600. Friend of foe.

Or you cast with target numbers and can choose up to the number of targets...

It says area of effect can't be increased further than 320 subjects of size 35. Size 30 is the size of a whale. So doesn't that mean that a Mage could devastate a town from an overlook? Just target 320 buildings.

Stop posting that shit

You realize that the chart literally describes 320 subjects as being the maximum AREA OF EFFECT, not target number?

I don't understand how people can come up with art like that

Are you fucking stupid, how is 320 subjects an area?

Fuck off.

Table says aoe: campus, has an asterix over 160 subjects and 30 size, which points to the text saying each -2 penalty can x2 subjects OR +5 size. Points out area of effect cant be increased.

How is that misinterpreted? * lets subjects or size me increased, says area cant.

Last column is campus. Last number of subjects is 160. The * says you can keep going for subjects or size, notice no * over area of effect. * text even points it out incase you miss it.

>how is 320 subjects an area?
Because subjects aren't just people, you mong. They're buildings, cars, whatever. Why do you think it specifies subjects up to size 35?

Still makes subjects with a size different from an area of effect numnuts.

I didnt mention people. # of subjects & Size != area of effect, the * text says you can keep going with number of subjects or size but says area of effect cant go further, it also has no * on it.

Why are you such a fucking mongo, i'll repeat it till you get it right.

It doesn't have an asterisk next to campus saying that that's the maximum area of effect, does it?

No because the asterisk is what is letting number of subjects and size go beyond the table. Without the asterisk Area of effect cant go beyond the table. The asterisk text just points it out for you.

With that asterisk text the max for subjects and size would be 160 and 30 the asterisk is letting those two go further and mentions that area doesnt.

fuck me. how is this hard to understand?

*without

Whoops.

>Cain in CofD is a Mage
That's funny.

Buildings are bigger than size 35 or whatever you can get up too, probably so much bigger the penalties will mean you cant target one, let alone numerous ones.
A dump truck is size 20 and most buildings are bigger than them. Size also doesnt seem to be linear either. Its not like that dump truck can only fit 4 size 5 people in it, or a compact car being size 9 cant fit 2 size 5 people in it.

A tiny house might be size 50 min and it only gets worse, no best use aoe as a target factor and not size when trying to catch buildings with spells.

Depends on what kind of whale they meant, I suppose.

How would a Master(of any Arcana) destroy Manhattan?

One campus at a time.

Launch nukes at it.

See Make a campus sized super-kinetic bomb of doom.

Or be creative with gravity and Space.

Mind control some smucks with the launch keys like in that shit film Xmen Apocalypse.

Probably a lot of leg work but possible.

So I've been going through the splats again after a couple of years, and good god, I'd forgotten how bad beast is.

Please tell me Veeky Forums got shit done and did a 'this is what beast could have been but wasn't' fix? Something that had the stupid and self-entitled bullshit stripped out of it? Or was it so bad that most people consider it unsalvagable?

Mages can do more damage than just campus size.

It's not unsalvageable so much as it isn't worth saving. The most remarkable thing about Beast is how awful it is. It doesn't offer anything really new or unique.

The blast would only reach campus size you fag

E very other splat is better at blowing shit up than mages

Aoe is the max area of the spell, not for things created via the spell fag face. if i set a fire in a area of effect, the fire can spread outside the area if there is stuff to burn.

Are you retarded?

Max AoE is campus sized. We went over this already.

Go read the fucking book and take a good look at what is and isnt covered by the asterisk.

If I want to make a legacy based on pic related, is it better to be a Thyrsus with Matter, or a Moros with Spirit?

A spell's effects can go beyond its factors. The blast wouldn't suddenly just stop at the edge of the area if you amplified the energy inside it. Read the book. You're misinformed, and it's because you think you can just go look up the chart and that that chart tells the whole story.

>Makes kinetic bomb campus sized
>It explodes
>Destroys Manhattan

Yeah. Campus sized.

Moros with Mind(and maybe Life), you god-fucking Warfag.

You need to check yourself and go read the practices again.

Are you a fag who is applying science shit "muh explosion" to magic again?

No, you mong. Are you the moron who thinks the blast just stops at the radius of 'campus'.

No turd face but please:

Explain what practices you are using for you mega bomb ?

Im listening.

Mind doesn't let you commune with the Machine Spirits though.

We've already been over this above. Figure it out.

See

Mind to let you 'be the machine', idiot

The problems are superficial. You just need a decent group that isn't trying to make Beasts heroic.

Remember:

Intent
Arcanum & Practice/s
Effect/cost
Withstand

Still waiting..

>Mind to let you 'be the machine', idiot
Not seeing it. Cyborg attachments are Matter + Life, and possibly Forces.

>Are you a fag who is applying science shit "muh explosion" to magic again?

I mean with Matter and a decent grasp of science and engineering can't you use magic to build an actual nuke?

have you read Transform energy?

You arnt transforming it into anything near explosive enough numnuts.

For some slightly less obvious methods.

Death: Create gates to sketchy parts of the Underworld and stand back.
Fate: Plagues of Egypt, and watch the chaos.
Forces: A couple earth quakes in some key spots.
Life:Create a new plague that's like a combination of ebola, Super-aids, rabies, and TB.
Matter: Fleets of low flying aircraft, they seem to have a hard time with those up there.
Mind: Mass hysteria and witch hunts.
Prime: Fuck up the Ley-lines and watch the sleepers suffer.
Space:Forge sympathetic bonds with something apocalyptic.
Spirit: Murder the 'city father'.
Time: Fuck with the stock market w/ 'corridors of time'

>leylines & sleepers suffering

Wut?

Transcend flesh, moron. Be conscious in solid steel, not skin.

>he thinks energies are limited to the example chart

lol

The Adeptus Mechanicus are a faith based organization. An Obrimos with Spirit would fit better.

That being said, I can't see how any of the Orders would produce a mage with the beliefs of the AdMech. Are you playing an independant mage or something?

He's probably mixing up some of the example effects of "Blasphemy'.

It could Create Energy, Forces 5. Make kinetic energy that fills the volume of the area of effect (a campus, in this case). There's no Withstand or cost. Then use a spell to amplify that energy with Potency, and then another to direct it in whatever direction you would like. You could do that to make a bomb, rapidly releasing the energy, or just wave it around like a giant campus sized wrecking ball.

Ex Nihilo's extra reach allows for complex machines or electronic devices.

it depends if you allow matter to create the radioactive shit or not.

Even if you manage to explode one, some asshole who wasnt caught in the blast will travel back and probably try and stop you.

You could build a nuke, but to cause a nuclear explosion of untold power you'd need Dynamics.