What did they mean by this?

What did they mean by this?

They meant just shut the fuck up, fuck you, you fucking whiny bitch.

they meant "another target artifact or creature"

i presume it got sent out wrong
who knows, it's a miracle no one at all realised the colosal fuck-up they'd made
the thing is, standard sets take something like 2-3years to make, meaning this motherfucker was in development for maybe a year, went through *rigorous* playtesting (see FFL) and still they fucked it up. like, how is this even possible?

what's the issue?

AYO

Same thing happened recently with Felindar Guardian. No one noticed the combo with Saheeli.
What the fuck is going on with their playtesters?

Yes, yes, we are all angry by the errata that it can't target itself...
Not like you figured out how to break it anyways.

Think about what happens if it enters an empty board

Well, it can target itself, which can play merry shenanigans if you've got anything that triggers off of creatures entering or leaving the battlefield.

I'm not sure if there's ONE SPECIFIC abusive combo that anyone's complaining about.

WOTC R&D delivers yet another fuckfail product.

Okay, but does anything in standard right now combo with it? There's no Impact Tremors/Purphoros or Genisis Chamber.

to be fair this has happened before and is infrequent. last time a card had on-release errata was Marath, Will of the Wild, which I don't think could have been printed with it's oracle wording, so he may have been a bit of gaming the system, but before that was oboro envoy, which was just as much of a derp mistake as hostage taker. However, if you think about that one and hostage taker, the intent of the cards is clear, and for the duration o0f playtesting, where there is no printed card and the card's text itself is constant at risk of changing, at least, they probably played the card as intended (and how often do you exile your own shit outside of a stupid combo?). it's only really the templating team and printing team (who probably don't give a fuck about the rules and just want to be sure they print exactly what they're told and are more focused on printing quality) who probably had to deal with this specific mistake, which is a lot fewer eyes than people are assuming.

I was so sure that the felidar + saheeli combo was on purpose, they just really underestimated how strong the combo was.

It was actually an accident?

it combos with panharmonicon to get infinite etb off a second creature or artifact, I know there are at least two in ixilan that will win you the game off that.

Yes, they didn't notice the combo.

Because they're shit at their jobs.

This has already been errata'd to not be able to target itself

Nah, there was also Walking Atlas before Marath but after Oboro Envoy, where they forgot to put 'artifact' on it.
Which is funny, because it was in Worldwake, the set before they first printed actual colorless non-artifact creatures.
And there's everyone's favorite type in Wit's End.

I remember my buddy spotting a card from ixalan with a typo on its flavor text.

The only prominent black pirate is a thief.

oh right, I was thinking just text box errors, forgot about that. that one also makes some sense given the presence of eldrazi, they might've gotten so used to colorless nonartifacts that it just slipped through.

pic related?

An actual typo, or somewhat archaic sentence construction on one of the vampire cards?

No they actually missed a two card go infinite combo in standard.
The best part is the cards are from different sets but the same block.

would you rather her be a rapist on top of being a thief and pirate

This could have actually been dank sideboard tech for UB control. You win g1 unless you're against monored, then keep drawing g2 by playing this on an empty board.

The one specific abuse is to put it out alone and RAW it so you run out the game timer by constantly moving it back and forth from exile to play. You can't legally avoid doing it with the card as written.

Well, sure. By default that's what being a pirate means.

No it can't. WotC was stupid and decided it would be better to change the oracle than to ban it.

Doesn't that result in an immediate draw?

Yes. But not an immediate draw. A draw that takes however long it takes for your match time to run out.

In paper it's just an immediate draw and you move on to another preboard game. Modo would just crash from this (see LSV and three o-rings).

You can still do this, it just takes three of them now instead of one.
1st comes in, nothing happens or another creature goes out.
2nd comes in, 1st goes out
3rd comes in, 2nd goes out, 1st comes in, 3rd goes out, 2nd comes in, 1st goes out...

If it's a true infinite and you can't stop it, the game immediately ends in a draw, period.
If there's a way to stop it, you have to state how many times you're iterating the loop, and then stop it.
Anything else gets you penalized for slow play.

That is so fucking overpowered and pushed
Fucking chase rares.

This shit will almost always die the turn after it comes out. 3 damage on turn 4 is very easy to do, even in standard.

They forgot an entire word in a sentence

you have a weird definition of pushed

Found it

That we should all dump our card stock as they have gone back on their power based errata promise.

Well... that's not from Ixalan at all.

That's patheitc
PATHEITC

Ah fuck, you're right.

He pointed it out when we were looking at mythicspoiler so it just set itself in my mind that way

It has a body, functions as pseudo-removal ( this is the big one ) and if you have the mana it functions as permanent removal as well.
Oh well I haven't played standard in a while
Since when did wizards stop being such cunts?
I thought we were still stuck on bullshit 3 cmc for 3 damage at sorcery speed.

I'm not seeing the issue.

We get 2 mana instant 3 damage, but it's an uncommon for some reason.

It's missing the word "as" between "silently" and "the".

It took me a few seconds to spot it as well; it's easy to see how it was overlooked.

Strange how flavor-text typos only happen around Bolas.
Strange indeed.

Well, she kinda does mentally rape whoever she's kindapped into joining the crew.

Even the most morally upstanding, and self-assured creature will be mind-broke into becoming a pirate by her big black ladyboy cock.

But it's literally the primary function of the card. I get that pirates pirate, but I think this proves WOTC is redpilled af.

Why would you do that? What would be the benefit? Seems like a non-issue.

>What would be the benefit?

Turn 4 infinite loop with any card that triggers upon creatures entering or leaving the battlefield (of which there are several).

>Seems like a non-issue.

Infinite anything is far from a non-issue.

actually, it's mandatory to target something and exile it, so if hostage taker entered a board with no other legal targets and no errata, it would draw the game.

Oh, and on top of that since the trigger is not a "may" but mandatory, if it's played on an empty board, the game is a draw since neither player can stop the loop. This is exactly what caused Worldgorger Dragon to be banned, and two mana cheaper.

What lead Worldgorger to be banned anywhere it's banned is its ability to create infinite mana easy by looping Animate Dead or similar and making your lands repeatedly leave and then come back untapped.

No, that was just the combo. Worldgorger was nothing special as far as combo decks go, except for the fact that it could also force a draw if it only has half the combo. That part is what pushed it over the edge and got it banned. Not just that it was part of an infinite mana combo, but the fact that on top of that even if it couldn't go off, it could always force a draw.

WotC hates cards that can force a draw, because they mess up the tournament structure. It's better for a card to read "win the game" than "the game ends in a draw".

>day 1 errata

kek

They didn't but mono red is the strongest deck in the format right now and 100% rotation proof. They run a metric fuckton of burn spells all at 2-3 mana.
The problem is you don't really care to spend your turn killing this bitch because she has your creature that must have been somewhat valuable or why would she even take it in the first place. (Also any ETB effects for you will get to retrigger, yay.)

Would have been amazing as a 1/4 or even 0/4 to survive all the burn but she's supposed to be aggressive I guess

Figured it out, infinite power creature on turn 4. definitely weaker than saheeli cat but, hey, fling is legal.

it's just your run of the mill stockholm syndrome
/d/ is that way
also if that is real i think i will swear off this block

>fling is legal.
that mana base is fucked my dude

If you cast the card is it gone forever from your opponent's control?

You've cast it, so it'll enter on your side of the field. Nothing to make you give it back after that.

There are two suns over Amonkhet.
"Suns' "is correct spelling for plural things sharing possession.

Thats a good point. Unknown shores anyone?

That's not the typo. It's missing a whole word.

Read it again
And again
And again until you see it
It's on the first line

When it leaves the battlefield it will hit their graveyard though.

Wasn't there a whole article about how they weren't going to change cards anymore and just ban them instead?

>it's a miracle no one at all realised the colosal fuck-up they'd made
It happens all the time. It's not at all uncommon for cards to receive on-release errata.

This isn't a change. It's a correction. They cards was accidentally printed with the wrong text box.

Don't you have to pay the mana to cast it each time?

Since you're not casting it when it returns, no.

And the reason it's a big deal when Wizards does it is because they tend not to do functional errata often - other card games are more willing to do so.
Wizards does functional errata in four cases:
1) When there is a change to the base rules of the game (such as adding scry and fight to the evergreen list, or the recent change to planeswalkers).
2) When a card does not have the correct wording on it and it's caught after the set is print but before release - this is one such case, others have been noted above.
3) The most minor one, when creature types are added, they go through and add them to cards that are appropriate for them. Happened with monkey in Kaladesh, happened with praetor in New Phyrexia. Dinosaur's just the most published one.
4) When they notice that an older card no longer does what it was originally made to do due to a combination of old functional errata and odd choices in updated templating. They've caught most of these, but you see one or two pop up in the rules updates every so often, and usually the change is so minor you wouldn't know there was a change.

The plot thickens..

Is it really "day 1" if they errata it before the card is even opened at a pre-release?

Has everyone in R&D started smoking dust? How did they miss that in testing?

>What the fuck is going on with their playtesters?
There's probably a post-it on a file folder saying "Should this be 'another'?" and one next to it saying "Maybe use the old timing tech" with a third that says "An opponent controls". All of which were tested but somehow didn't make it into the file that went to whatever monkey actually prepares the godbook/whatever for the printer, who likely knows very little about the game and doesn't even read the cards with an eye to rules comprehension.

It's amazing shit like this doesn't fuck up more often.

>And the reason it's a big deal when Wizards does it
No, it isn't. People only think it is the first time they notice Wizards doing it. They've done so several times because sometimes they accidentally print cards with the wrong rules text.

>Print infinite 2 card combo last block
>Print infinite 1 card loop this block
What's next boys?

Accidentally print a standard/modern/legacy/vintage staple combopiece in Dominaria.
Banned in standard after six months of teethgnashing and turn-2 wins.
Banned in Modern after a year of domination.
Just becomes another combo deck in legacy and vintage.

I guarantee it'll be the result of them forgetting to put the word 'nontoken' on a card.

Cards not working as the card reads is a big deal. It undermines credibility for investment as you can have something ruined by wording changes, and it makes the game ever more reliant on memorization of a tome of online rules. The correct course of action is to ban the card if it is too strong.

If there needs to be an example of this look at the history of time vault.

>investment
get out

This holy shit. This stupid meme is Olivia Voldaren levels of retarded. It wasn't funny then, it isn't funny now, it never will be funny.

>kill it
>get your thing back

As has been said, the card isn't functionally being changed by errata. They're cutting out a bug caused by faulty wording.

Which functionally changes the way it works. They didn't mean for you to be able to activate time vault over and over again for free either, but there you go. How long it takes them to realize their mistake is irrelevant once the card has been printed, which it has.

Nice combo for a casual.dck

Nobodies perfect. Errata happens better to have them add it after then ship a broken card that does not function like intended.

Doesn't work. They decided that it can't target itself.

That part's irrelevant and, on the card as written, can never come up.
As written, the card is exiled while Hostage Taker is still on the battlefield. When that card is that very same hostage taker, that means it returns immediately, triggering the ability again. At no point are you able to cast it, nor does it matter - it's continuously leaving and returning. If there's something else to take hostage, eventually it will have to take that and end the loop. If it's the only legal target, it can do nothing else but take itself hostage and immediately release itself because there's nobody there holding it hostage, only to take itself hostage again in an endless loop of crazy, drawing the game.
This is Not Good and not intended, and thus it was errata'd. Again, the second half was never a part of it at all, only the exile/return part.