So humble bundle has a book bundle that includes a ton of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay books...

So humble bundle has a book bundle that includes a ton of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay books, what should I know about the game? I never hear anyone talking about it, positive or otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/xTGSZbU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's fun and a majority of character classes CAN NOT do combat.

Isn't it a combat Simulator?

It's basically a picaresque game. You're nobodies that try do shit and generally fail.

System is meh but the real problem is that the adventures aren't tailored toward this angle, so it fails.

Also, I've never done a lot of tabletop but I've always wanted to. Does it look like the stuff that's in the bundle has all I'll need to get started?

Great game with a quick system. Main draw is the setting. Combat can be done quickly if using roll20's tools.

While many see it as a peasant simulator, with some small changes you can turn in into anything. You can run a game of chaos warriors nuking everyone, vampires trekking through Sylvania, or even Skaven.

I kind of like the sound of being a dumbass peasant trying to adventure, but is correct? If the rules and adventures don't make it fun then it might not be worth it. Does anybody know if the supplements work to fix this?

Depends on the adventure really. Most have a bit more gravitas than a starting pc would really be capable of dealing with. Others have you running around trying to catch a chicken while you wait for your paperwork to be processed.

there's no character classes. there's jobs. once you complete all the upgrades in one job, you exit into another job.

It's fun if you're into playing nobody adventurers just trying to make their way in a world that is usually trying to eat them alive. Combat is harsh and unforgiving if you don't play it smart and, unless your GM is a real sadist, it's not nearly as easy to die as people make it out to be. If you're familiar with the 40k RPGs the system is an early version of those.

There's also gonna be a 4th edition coming around the end of the year that is based around the books currently on sale. I'd say get your hands on a free pdf from somewhere, check it out, and if you want more buy them. Otherwise just wait for 4e.

All you need to get started is the core rulebook, the rest is just supplementary material and splatbooks.

A lot of the bigger campaign books seem more suited to higher power level characters but the standalone ones are just fine. Again, if you play it smart and get some armor and a shield as soon as possible your chances of survival increase dramatically.

>job
>class
Same thing. And some jobs just don't go anywhere. I'm looking at you Camp Follower.

What and said. It's also not hard to scale things down if necessary, and there is A TON of fan made content for this game of pretty consistently good quality if you're really strapped for ideas.

I hear the ratcatcher is the best, why is that?

He comes with the greatest piece of equipment in the game. A small, but vicious dog

It's Iconic. The ragged weirdo who's seen horrifying things in the sewers that noone will believe is the archetypal 1st tier WFRP character.

But also it starts with a pet and a bunch of utility skills like stealth and underground navigation. Good starting point for a successful adventurer.

There are a ton of careers and the core book has humans, elves, dwarfs, and halflings as playable races. It's generally understood that party composition should be at least 50% human though unless you're game is set outside The Empire.

So, it sounds like your options as far as characters are pretty limited. Is there no official support for playing a dwarf or skaven or something? Just humans? Not that that's a deal breaker or anything, just curious.

There's dwarfs and elves as well as halflings iirc.

Dung Collector is the best by far. Fearless as a starting talent.

See There is also a sourcebook for playing as Skaven.

Any character class can do perfectly well in combat with decent equipment. It takes some time for the dedicated warriors to pull ahead significantly, unless you minmax and get a dwarf with 2 attacks right out the gate.

The bigger issue with the game is that everyone has a large chance to fail at everything they attempt, but that goes for your opponents too so it' doesn't impact your success in combat, just how tedious it is to play out.

There's a whole supplement for playing a skaven campaign. Dwarves are part of the core book. Along with elves and halflings.

Camp Follower has some great exits, my favorites are Spy, Charlatan, and Vagabond. They're a start for an underhanded social character and have a good variety of skills to choose from at start so you can go a variety of ways. Our last camp follower ended up as a smuggler lord.

Anybody have any cool stories from one of their games? I'd like to hear what a session is like.

Combats ran fine at my table, The biggest mistake I see when other people run it is the assumption that Dodge Blow is open to everyone. It's an advanced skill and a rare one at that. Parry isn't but that means you can gang up on people and pummel them to death easily.

Conversely that could happen to you if you're not observant. Many men at my table have died to a horde of skeletons or rambunctious squigs

WFRP is worth checking out for historical interest. It was an innovative game when it came out in the late 80s, as the British take on D&D that puts the medieval flavor front and center

Its biggest gimmick is presenting character classes as real-world occupations (it instantly gives your character more personality if instead of a 1st level fighter you have a militiaman, bodyguard or mercenary), but smaller devices like making reading books an exclusive and coveted skill and using pre-decimal currency help establish the tone they're going for.

These days there are plenty of games that do dark fantasy or have knockoff-historical settings, and they probably have better mechanics to boot.

>These days there are plenty of games that do dark fantasy or have knockoff-historical settings, and they probably have better mechanics to boot.
Name 3.
No d20 games either.

In a 2e game I ran some time ago, the group had stopped in a small town near thick woods in the middle of winter and, in good rpg fashion, came to learn the daughter of a woodsman had gone missing. They fear that she's was out playing with her imaginary friend, being an only child, and she may have been attacked by beastmen.

Players investigate, certainly combat a hunting band of beastmen , but ultimately they find the girl unharmed. When questioned she says that she was taking care of her friend, IMMEDIATELY suspicious the group draw weapons and come to learn this friend is a wounded Chaos Warrior, an abandoned survivor of the Storm of Chaos.

So you have the players freaking out, even in an injured state the Warrior is easily a match for the entire group, this little girl who refuses to let the group harm him, and the warrior himself is so bestial that any attempt at parlay seems fruitless, just heavy steam emanating from his blood dripping helmet.

During this exchange beastman had surrounded them and, long story short combat broke out and the party was surprised to find the Chaos Warrior protecting the little girl (note it didn't give a damn about the party's safety). Its injuries were worsened by the combat and, girl bawling her eyes out, the beast was dying. Ultimately the party grabbed the girl and dragged her away, and the party leader, a vet who fought these creatures just months before, finished him off.

"How do you do it?" I asked
"Swiftly, showing him more honor and respect than I'll be comfortable with later tonight."

>55488901

Blades in the Dark for dark fantasy

Sagas of the Icelanders and Night Witches for actual historical settings

Just to stick to PBTA

>PCs arrive at a coaching inn on some backwater section of the Empire
>Barkeep tells them that a notorious bandit king has been captured and is being held in the gibbet out back if they want to throw some stuff at him before the roadwardens arrive to execute him in a few days
>PCs check it out, the "bandit king" claims to be an innocent man captured by a greedy bounty hunter. Says his wife is in a village a few days away and she can vouch for him
>PC catch a ride on a riverboat to the village, get pretty banged up in a fight with some river pirates on the way
>They're now suspicious of the supposed bandit king, but they get to the village and meet the guy's wife, everything seems to check out and she agrees to come with them
>By the time they get back to the inn the executioners have arrived, along with the bounty hunter
>PCs and the guy's wife stop the execution in time, the roadwarden captain gives the bounty hunter some harsh words and sends everybody on their way
>The PCs get some money and a few days rations from the family

That's the closest thing to a "good end" I've had in any WFRP games I've ran. A few sessions later the bounty hunter came back and caught one of the PCs alone. They got in a fight and the PC ended up losing a hand.

I don't care much for the character design or needless leather belts, but the artist nailed the love and loyalty in that mini Schnauzer's eyes.

Ars Magica
Aquelarre
Any of the million World of Darkness historical splats

>A fan made dishonored knock off.

PBTA is more like board game mechanics. Way to gamey.

WoT is literally garbage. Opinion discarded. Kill yourself.

>what should I know about the game?
You have to roll for anal circumference

>> PbtA is more like board game mechanics. Way to gamey.

Wut? Do you mean like crunch, or something else? Something like 95% of conflict resolution in PbtA is handled with 2d6. It lives or dies on how fast the GM, excuse me, MC can come up with shit on the fly.

>PBTA is more like board game mechanics

This has never meant anything.

I played two of the canned adventures and had an alright time but as DM always just came up with my own shit.

It's very fun, there will be failures especially if you think you're Aragorn in combat but tactical fighting can make lumberjacks and coal burners into an efficient killing machine (assuming you're not fighting something too deadly, in which case first blame the the DM then run).

If I get the books, what physical materials will I need to get to actually run the game?

Character sheets, dice, and some pencils. And that's only if you don't just use writeable pdfs and number generators.

Discuss Warhammer RPG, 1st, 2nd and even 3rd (get out) edition of the game!

discord.gg/xTGSZbU

One of my favorites

Crossbows can't break though.

What? Everything breaks. Rocks break. He rolled a 100, it's a miracle the crossbow didn't take his hand off when it snapped

So, when people talk about 'fighting smart', it's mainly a matter of trying to gang up on your opponents, running when the odds aren't in your favor, and looking for weird tricks and whatnot to tip them in your favor?

>The biggest mistake I see when other people run it is the assumption that Dodge Blow is open to everyone.

Generally because people assume their character has some way to get out of the way of attacks as 'Avoiding things' is something people have been doing since primary school dodgeball.

I think that's a problem derived from glossing over the part of the book that mentions that an "attack" is actually a series of blows, cuts, jabs, dodges, parries, etc, that culminates in wounds. There is already some dodging implied in the process. Dodge Blow is referring to a preternatural ability to dodge a series of blows, something beyond the norm

>I never hear anyone talking about it, positive or otherwise.
bakc to /pfg/ with you, newfag

>There is already some dodging implied in the process.

Well, some of it is that a person's stats (Unless you have dodge blow) doesn't really affect your ability to avoid hits. The agi 08 cripple is as easy to hit as the agi 60 elven archer unless they have the skill.

rpg that i play for about 8 years

But at the cost of disease resistance, so your GM can dick you over and say you start with a disease because you shoveled shit for a living without disease resistance.

I love the setting, one of my favorites.

I dislike the mechanics. Many disagree I just don't care for them at all, pretty much everything could be done better.

BUT! The "magic is dangerous" is interesting.

Why would you penalise a player for a starting feature?

agreed, any DM who does this is probably a dick

Can't you use dodge untrained at half your agility?

I'd be hard pressed to name 3 games with WORSE mechanics than Warhammer without delving into nigh-unplayable shit.
The black magic of Warhammer is that, despite being a wonky mess, it just works.

Dodge Blow is an advanced skill rather than basic, so nope.

Song of Swords/Riddle of Steel/Sword and Scoundrel
Shadows of Esteren
Shadow of the Demon Lord
Aquelarre
About 100000 OSR games
Mythras
Zweihander if you're desperate

WFRP 2e is one of my favorite games I've run, but we aren't exactly without any choices in this genre.

I think it's parry that anyone can do then?

Anybody can parry, but you need and offhand weapon or a shield to do it.

Every player character starts with a hand weapon and a knife plus heir first career's trappings.

I got the basic tier since I always wanted to try war-hammer fantasy. Any ideas for a good Halloween one-shot?

Yes.

Hexensnacht baby. Some necromancer or low tier vampire lord is terrorizing a village and the PCs are the only ones with the balls to get to the bottom of it (Or, if they're cowards, the local lord drafted them into a militia to get to the bottom of it)