Do you have a recurring comic relief NPC?

Do you have a recurring comic relief NPC?

Tell us about him

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yUMRpc1_dyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was this match good? AJ Is the man

Not really comic relief, but I made an NPC companion for my group to interact with on their travels. His name was Galvin Nielson, a dwarf gunslinger who'd upgrade their weapons.

Whenever there was combat I always forgot about him until halfway through the battle. I'd go through initiative order and then realize, "OH, GALVIN'S HERE"

Every time the party wants to sell of the loot they picked clean from everything they've ever met, the general store in every city is run by Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars.

I do the intro and everything, they go bananas for it. They don't even mind that I'm fucking them on the price, this is a business after all and he has to make a profit

While the NPC in question has yet to reappear should my game set in (mostly) hard sci-fi space resume I hope to bring back a friendly sentient man-sized spider who is comically unlucky.

When the party last saw the spider it had been an inmate in the same holding facility they were in. The spider had been mistaken for a notorious pirate who had stormed through the local space and stayed in the holding facility not wanting to cause any trouble when the PCs broke out. After said breakout the spider was exonerated, awarded a modest recompense for the injustice it faced, and set out in its shiny new spacecraft to explore.

tee-hee macaronii

Not a recurring one, but I do recall the one shop keep the players sold gear to that they got a crack out of the most. The mighty Dwarven warrior Galla Ghar, long since retired from his life as an adventurer. Unsuited to the life of a smith, he instead ran a local shop buying and selling items. He tested the products he would be buying to determine their quality by smashing them with his Mordenkrad on the anvil of his father. How hard it took to break them determines what he buys them for, and then he takes them to a relative to be reforged as glorious Dwarven artefacts in the shop. They'd bring him stuff every couple of sessions to test, making some moderate coin as they climbed levels. His weapons and armor were known for being made of jades, emeralds and obsidian laced into blackiron. He claimed that nothing but his hammer would be capable of breaking them in one blow.

Toru Yano's matches are pretty much all the same
nonstop shenanigans

I tried, but my players take everything as seriously as a heart attack when interacting with NPCs, so they kinda don't like him. Purely because he's made jokes.

In a naval campaign, I had some really wimpy pirates show up. The PCs just shouted insults until the pirates turned their ship around, in tears.

That group showed up 3 or 4 times. Was fun.

The difference is in what level he takes the shenanigans to. Sometimes it's just the shrug and the face, sometimes there's a 50 year old man wrapped in duct tape.

AJ Styles is so beautiful

Misu is going to kill him one of these days.

The Skeleton King.
He's an insanely powerful Lich on a horse who ever so often will show up and shake the party down.

He then goes to the nearest tavern and parties all night until he runs out of money.

The local authorities and church won't do anything about him, since he's good for business.

I might end up giving him a bit more backstory at some point, but I kkinda wanbt to preserve the mystery.

Actually got the idea off Veeky Forums (pic relates).

This sounds great. I'll have to try something like this sometimes.

/thread

>Shitheel Lefty
He's an npc crewman who's personality boils down to being so scummy and incompetent as possible.

Zordlon, the Titlemancer.

One of the NPC's cousins who just seems to have all the fucking luck. He's a mage who discovered the lost magic of Titlemancy, and whenever you say his name you have to say whatever his full title is at that time. Which he changes on a whim. He is literally the most popped collar, bro-douche, party rocking elf of all time, yet is somehow way higher on the social totem pole than his cousin. Is also very petty and endlessly thinks up new ways to cause his cousin strife. Eg; he invented two new currencies.

Zordo's, which are worth ten platinum pieces, and each coin is enchanted to show his whole title.

And Ziruls (his cousins name) made from tin, and ten of them are worth a copper.

I also took a lot of inspiration from handsome jack on him

He came about because he was in the players backstory, but there wasn't really any info on him other than his name, and the fact that the PC beat him in a magic contest using archery. Despite Zordlon actually being a very good mage.

It was just really fucking good archery I guess.

Anyway, I found the name Zordlon so hilarious, I decided he had to be someone special, and decided he was still so pissed over that tournament he had lived his entire life trying to steal the spotlight from his cousin no matter what

The Hoser family. Three farmers - Larry, his brother Daryl, and their cousin Darrel - and their bull Hoser. Voiced like McKenzie Brothers from SCTV, and about as intelligent as the dirt they farmed. The bull was actually smarter than them, but was a raging alcoholic.
They were almost always responsible for shit getting bad for the party.
>Party realizes that an island excavation site is really a resting Gaira Dragon, tries to stop the dig before it wakes
>Guess who hits the thing's nose with their pickaxes just hard enough to wake it

>Party traveling from Point A to Point B. Hosers come racing past, dragging a Living Armor into combat with the party

>Paradis Paradis swimsuit competition time! Hey, is that the Hosers actually getting picked up by a cute woman? What madness is this?
>Oh, she's a spider demon that eats men, better kill it.

>Shit, this Inquisitor's pretty dangerous, considering he damn-near killed the warlock and the mentalist, and is about to murder the hell out of the Warrior Summoner
>MMMOOOOOOO *crash* "Next time, wiiiiiiiiitch" as he gets dragged off on the head of a charging Hoser
>later shows up with Inquisitor's crucifix wrapped around his horns

Then they died to Psychic spiders and got resurrected as a Necrogolem and a Type-12 Hunter by a Black Sun member.
Black sun members luck was shit, though, so they retained their personalities. Now Pic related is occasionally encountered, looking for "a place to get some beer, eh" and arguing amongst itself, while the necromancer just cries, and the Hunter plods along pulling the cart.

I've made a babysitter and a crutch for my latest group. I ALWAYS end up forgetting about the robot, but I usually spin that into some "epic" shit, like it suddenly popping out behind enemy lines or operating the stationary laz turret the party forgot to use and they still think this is all intentional on my part and not just quickly trying to figure out how to get it into combat.

Dave the Blacksmith.
No matter what campaign it is, no matter who's DMing, Dave will show up eventually. He's always a 40something, balding man with a stereotypical English tradesman accent, but the exact details of his craft vary. In the first campaign he showed up in, he made fittings for ships. In the current campaign, he's helping the party develop magic guns.
Gods bless Dave.

>tfw I am not funny but my players are so sessions become a perfect blend of serious and fun.

I use an old Veeky Forums favourite, Crazy Hassan. No matter the setting, he always shows up running a "Mostly Used [insert transportation method] Emporium".

I play him as a slighty-unhinged, haggles-badly-over-everything, kinda-racist Arab stereotype. He'll buy anything, and what he sells is of dubious quality and legality.

nikol the necromancer
the only thing he raises are his animal companions, like his marvelous "feedless horse" ( a skeletal warhorse stuffed with padding and with a cowl over it, to make it look like "regular" horse) "ever vigilant watchdog" (old family pet dog, as lazy as possible) and a squirrel that he took in and -tried- to nurture back to health.

now travels the land as a necrotic, nomadic hedgewizard in a house-wagon, pedding poor advice, low quality potions, and if he happens upon the party, random articles of """utility""" magic items, such as stubborn nails and self-refilling bowls of oatmeal.

the party has had to clean up three of his messes and are currently trying to track him down to get him to chill the fuck out.

Maldar the Magnificent.

I once found this absolutely bizarre green dinosaur dog chew-toy at a dollar store one day, and naturally being autistic proceeded to stick the back-end of a baby syringe on it's head with a feather in sequin glued on (to make it resemble a turban) and dubbed him "Maldar" and decided he would be present in anything I ever did always.

It doesn't matter when, it doesn't matter where. be in the depths of dungeon, the outer reaches of space, or Hell itself, Maldar is somewhere in his omnipresent tent shop selling all manner of bizarre trinkets many of which don't even belong in the setting. Otherwise he gives nonsensical advise and hints to any curious customers, and is often found inserting himself into many important events for his own confoundingly unknowable reasons.

I'm mostly a player, but every general store in every game I've run has been run by "Smitty". He's always happy to see people and often performs birthday magician-esque magic acts in the midst of talking, like pulling a small bird from his hat. Sometimes he's a human. Sometimes he's a dwarf. Sometimes he's married. Sometimes he is the brother-in-law of a local lord who can't stop yelling.

He always gleefully greets the PCs with, "'Ello. I'm Smitty. Welcome t' me shop. Buy some'in', or fuck off!"

When the players visit another general store in another town, there's Smitty. When they visit a store on the other side of the continent, there's Smitty. One time they decided to ask about it.

"Hey, Smitty. How is it that you're always the shopkeep, everywhere we go?"

"Well don't you know? Smitty's Shop is a franchise!"

I like Smitty. He's a lot of fun to roleplay.

So are there multiple Smitties, or is he an omnipresent being?
Dave from is the same guy, regardless of universe. The current GM and I are colluding to have him occasionally reference the events of other campaigns. I'm still not sure if he's the strongest being in setting.

Dirk, a farmboy

The entire campaign is set in a small barony (5km radius from lord's keep), so the players usually end up either in the inn at the crossroads or in the village next to the keep, always bumping into the boy.

He is your typical village bumpkin, and due to being a kid, always curious. The comic relief factor comes that Dirk is always played by my husband crashing into the game from another room. Not only I have absolutely zero control over what he's going to do, but he also intentionally does the worst imaginable "child voice impression" despite having natural baritone.

The only thoughts I've ever really had on it are:

A. Smitty's Shop actually is a franchise, and all of the "shopkeepers" are magical projection holograms that respond to questions, like Dr. Lanning's projection from the I, Robot film

B. Every person who becomes the proprietor of a general store *becomes* Smitty, with the universe correcting itself to make that so. Everyone and everything believes that they have always been Smitty, which is sort of the explanation as to how Smitty can take different forms/have different relationships.

C. "Smitty" is just a title. The happy-go-lucky personality and parlor tricks are just tools-of-the-trade to help sell stuff.

It's only the General Store, though. The Blacksmith, Tavern Owner, etc. all different NPCs.

We had absolutely no idea what we were doing the first time we played, so the DM essentially made everything up on the fly. So I'm not sure how much you could call them intentionally "comedic" so much as characters born from half-concepts the DM was forced to pull out of his ass that later grew into actual characters throughout subsequent adventures. Such individuals included:

>Dathumius Curveball, a large black man with a purple afro and sunglasses who runs the local inn/tavern our campaigns often focus around. An all around great guy, and the realest dude in the town who doesn't deserve having to constantly put up with the various PCs' bullshit.
>Mr. Magic, the autistic magic shop owner who wears a sheet of paper with a face drawn on it and starts shrieking and vibrating if you ask too many questions
>Smith, the black blacksmith who often wagers gear in feats of strength that instead of rolling dice are the DM and player physically performing whatever the challenge was

Since a lot of our campaigns center around the same general area (or at least start in the same general area) learning about the shenanigans these retards get up to in their day-to-day lives and how they intersect with each other and our various campaigns has become a popular subplot in our group.

I have a soft-headed Goblin NPC that the party bullied into joining in a game a while back, and now he's just kinda a recurring character who shows up when I need someone friendly around.

He likes romance novels and thinks he's much smarter than everyone else, but is absurdly easy to trick into doing your bidding.

How does a skeleton party hard? Does he have a constant boner? Does he even bone? Does he do stand up comedy with his funny bone?

I did. He was a deer person. We were playing a setting that was premised on an infinite multiverse, where every action that could have happened happened in some universe, causing more universes to be created.

The players were traveling through the multiverse. The joke was that the players would often do things that resulted in the current universe's version of the NPC dying or being sucked into a portal.

Eventually the players go to the shadow realm (which in the cosmology, is exempt from the universe splitting stuff, and exists as a part of every universe), where they discover that their antics, and the antics of countless versions of themselves across the multiverse have created a robust economy of trading slaves, all of whom are versions of the NPC that were sucked into the shadow realm as a result of the players or some version of themselves doing something stupid.

He's not into boys, user

Our Sammy lives in a wage slave filled building and his next door neighbor is this teenage boy.

He was first introduced as a way to flesh out the little world we live in and now his visits occur every time we have a shitload of crunch or purchases to make he shows and give us a brief story about how he fucked up trying to get a girl he likes to notice him that week based on advice we gave him the previous time.

For example, after he had a brief moment of apparent cowardice with a fire drill(leaping out the window while screaming like a girl) we advised him that he should do something incredibly brave, like standing up to his bully. Who was actually a cyber bully and his crush's baby brother. And who he fucking decked like a professional boxer in front of her.

Party was a pirate crew that used being a legit shipping company as a front. They had a cook NPC on the boat who was always the brunt of their jokes, but they'd feel bad for him when stuff actually happened to him.

Doesn't make him any less gorgeous

I never understand the context of that pic

The context is WIZARD

They're all true, simultaneously.

gods that sounds fucking hilarious

He throws the bones a lot

Felatio

He's a pervert that often times stalks us and is walking about the town harassing children. He rubs his nipples out of habit. Often times he gives us tips and hints on our quests. Mainly, he's just there to fuck up our shit.

Young AJ was a top-qt, also a better wrestler

youtube.com/watch?v=yUMRpc1_dyY