So tell me Veeky Forums, how do you run a game in an established setting with a plethora of named NPC's

So tell me Veeky Forums, how do you run a game in an established setting with a plethora of named NPC's.

I'm planning on running a Star Wars campaign with Darth Vader and Emporer Palpatine as the main antagonists, and I'd like some pointers in how to do it while still having the campaign feel fresh.

>how do i make old meat fresh
You use it as fertilizer.

If you need to ask for pointers, you may not even have the capacity to manage it.

Your players are going to try and kill them. You understand this, right? This is the biggest hurdle you face: deciding if you are willing to go against everything canon by letting them kill the antagonists that everyone wants to kill, screw up canon even worse by joining them, or to bullshit your way around the players attempting to kill the two biggest bad guys in the universe to maintain canon.

If you manage this, you then have to face the other problem - players taking the battle against a foe with infinite resources and a massive army. While everyone makes fun of Stormtroopers missing, the fact of the matter is that Darth Vader ORDERED those STroopers to MISS so he could let the Millennium Falcon escape with the homing beacon to lead him to the rebel base. Your players will be forever outnumbered, outgunned, and in trouble, unless they bite the bullet and join forces with someone else.

Finally, you have the real problem: are your players friendly and good enough not to go full murderhobo and fall to the dark side as well? Because let's face it,. with the advent of Grey Jedi, the power of the Dark Side is a draw almost no player can resist, especially if they have the opportunity to learn from Darth Vader himself. If you're not prepared for that contingency, then you're fucked.

Good luck.

>You use it as fertilizer.
>If you need to ask for pointers, you may not even have the capacity to manage it.
Well that's rude.

It's honest. If you're not sure of yourself, and you put a big neon sign in front fo the players saying "HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO KILL/JOIN THESE TWO MAJOR VILLAINS GUYS!!!!" on the front of your game, you're clearly not thinking far enough ahead to prepare for the other nonsensical shit players get up to.

Doesn't make it any less rude man.

stfu snowflake he provided good advice, all you have to do is to thank him.

There's nothing wrong with being rude when politeness would get in the way of results.

I'm not going to thank someone for being rude. If anything, you should apologize to me.

I'm happy you're not my gm

What the other guy said. Someone with your terrible personality has no busines trying to GM.

>With the advent of Grey Jedi
which are not and have never been "faggots who use both sides with impunity"

so.
In my opinion I wouldn't use someone else's characters because then you're stuck with them doing what everybody knows they're going to do.
see
> "HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO KILL/JOIN THESE TWO MAJOR VILLAINS GUYS!!!!"

Instead of Darth Vader and Emporer Palpatine why not Darth Daft and Emporer papal-ish

but if you're really set on using them why not have you're players be a group of storm troopers sent on a "mission" with all the cannon stuff going on around them,
pic related?

I think you should choke on a dick.

> - How do you run this?
> - Fuck you OP! That's how.
> - Fuck you OP! (follows the explanation why you shouldn't run this). And fuck you!
> - Hey, you're rude!
> - Fuck you OP, you're a snowflake!
> - Fuck you OP.
> - Fuck both of you guys.
> - What a faggot you are OP!
Veeky Forums. High quality communications.

stop making shit up to make yourself feel better you cringetastic autist

beggars can't be choosers, faggot

>Wanting respect is indicative of my skills as a GM
>Standing up for myself means that I have no business being a GM
Well excuse me, I come to ask for advice, instead all I see is rude behavior and hurtful accusations.

I'm not going to apologise to an idiot. If anything, you should apologise to Common Sense for your ham-fisted attempt to use pre-existing antagonists with canonised arcs as the Big Bads of your Magical Kingdom.

But, if you want constructive advice beyond "fuck off and die", then set the game in a period that isn't well documented. Like that stupidly long time between The Old Republic and the start of the Saga. Have your Big Bads be "like Vader and Sidious, but...".

I don't know what I did to deserve this type of attack against my character. I just wanted some advice, I don't appreciate this.

Welcome to Veeky Forums, user. You must be new here.

It's not about your skills as a GM, it's about your personality and emotional fragility.

Getting frank, constructive advice, and immediately disintegrating into a puddle of mensturation because it wasn't supportive of your frankly bad ideas shows that you are not emotionally stable enough to be in a place where you are responsible for the enjoyment of others.

I thought this place was supposed to be better than this. I ask a simple question and people IMMEDIATELY jump down my throat as if I'd done something wrong.
If my emotions were fragile then I wouldn't have told you anything and just let myself be personally harassed. You people are the ones with emotional problems, not me.

You ARE letting yourself be personally harassed, you idiot. You literally couldn't do anything at this point to encourage it more.

A GM acting at the table the way you are acting in this tread would be a disaster.

No, I am standing up for myself and making sure that you people know how badly you're bullying an innocent person.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

>I ask a simple question and people IMMEDIATELY jump down my throat as if I'd done something wrong.
No, people immediately told you your idea is bad and that you should rethink it. That's not jumping down your throat, that's constructive criticism. You only started to get hostile responses after you started acting like a diva over it.

You bullies are only brave because you hide behind the computer like a screen. If this were in real life, you'd do nothing.

:^)

If this were real life I would never even associate with someone who's so toxic they can't help but spill their derangement within 2 minutes of starting a conversation.

Is asking for a little respect supposed to make me a Diva now? Well, you people have called me worse names so far over a little question so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Actually, user, I'd tell you that your idea is fucking stupid to your face. Why? Because it's a bad idea, and you should feel bad for it.

How this thread should have gone:
>OP: I want to make Vader and the Emperor the big bads of my campaign
>user: Don't, that's stupid.
>OP: Ok, I'll think of something better.
/thread

user, eventually you're going to have to face the hard truth that the only common factor to the countless times you get into situations like this is you.

>Calls people names and acts rude
>Calling other people toxic
Are you sure you know the words that you are using?
>Actually, user, I'd tell you that your idea is fucking stupid to your face.
No you wouldn't, you people are all the same. You have all the courage in the world until you actually have to face the consequences of your actions.

You're all the worst.

dude user tried to help you and you're literally ignoring his advice because he could've been more gentle? The hell do you want?

If you want more clarification on certain points feel free to ask, but if you want us to be nice to you and reaffirm your ideas all the time you're not going to find that on Veeky Forums.

This is my first time interacting with Veeky Forums because I thought that you people would be able to help me in my predicament. I thought that this place was better but I guess my hopes were misplaced since you can all afford to hide behind your anonymity.

>gets hyperemotional to the point of creating an entire shitstorm over a single neutral post
>even goes as far as to invent the idea people were saying fuck you in neutral posts
Yes. You're incredibly toxic. I know people like you. You're overemotional and narcissistic, you can't help but create shitshows like this whenever you imagine any slight, no matter how minor.

>The hell do you want?
To apologize for being rude.

At this point, I think we have to call it. OP is a troll.

3/10 had me going for a bit there.

Good. Now fuck off and never come back again.

>Doesn't accept responsibility for his toxicity
>Accusing others of being toxic just to hide behind his toxic behavior
Your type of cowardice is the worse yet.

which has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. You asked a question, you got an answer. Either ask more questions or move on.
Nobody is going to apologize to you, nobody cares about you here. Hell I'm not even sure you're OP. I could be that original user: "I'm sorry I was an asshat!" Is that enough?

Good lord, you need to lurk more.

No! If I don't weather this storm to teach you the error of your ways, who will?
Why do you think I'm a troll? Do you think I would be here if I was merely pulling the wool over your eyes?

:^)

cry more

I will not accept backhanded apologies user. I'm also certain that you are not the person who I original had issue with.

Haha holy shit this is a top-notch meltdown

I'm one of the people who you were originally talking with. Here's my apology: Kill yourself.

wait a second this is OP and you're being a faggot get out of my thread the fuck is this shit

>To apologize for being rude.

Ok, user, I'm sorry your mother didn't have you aborted

>Why do you think I'm a troll?
Somewhere between using exclamation points unironically, replying to most people, and thinking that anyone on Veeky Forums has any shame whatsoever.

for future reference

It's okay OP, your idea wasn't good in the first place and you got all the responses you needed to help give you ideas on how to manage it or modify it.

>You should die for not letting me walk all over you.
You are everything wrong with this board.
It's okay OP, I'm not going to leave until these miscreants apologize to us.
His idea was great.

This thread is magical.
OP should still kill himself, but he can at least go out with a smile

>S-say t-that to m-my face, tough guy!

>dear diary, today OP was a whiny bitch

Hey OP

Honestly, if you want to use named NPC's you're better off either having them be somewhere far away from the PC's or have them be slight variants so that if and when they do confront the PC's things don't get too funky with the continuity.

You could also use lesser known villains for your plot as well and spice it up by introducing your own spin onto things, like how that one guy turned a random still from that Sonic anime into a three-part flash cartoon.

Anyways, hope this helps.

It does, thank you for being reasonable user. It's a shame the rest of the anons ITT don't know to conduct themselves around here.

Well I'm sorry that a little peace and civility is lost upon you people.

I came here because I heard that this place was civil but I guess I was ultimately proven wrong.

You people are worse than /v/ and I hope in time you'll realize the error of your ways and start to develop this board for the better.

Until then, I have a campaign to prepare for.

>going to a place you clearly don't belong, trying to dictate terms and then crying in a corner when you get told to grow a thicker skin or fuck off

God damn it, I thought this could become a screencap, but you're just the average troll.

Include me in the fucking screencap if this crybaby keeps wailing

It's a troll, you morons. He's doing it on purpose.

It has to be a troll. It's the sort of troll people keep feeding, despite themselves, out of sheer fascination for what's coming next.

Yes, seeing the same lazy response a hundred times sure is fascinating.

>this thread

I think you're more visibly bored than I am, user, thought I suppose we both must be for wasting time here.

Kid, what the fuck are you even doing on Veeky Forums, a place where everyone tells each other to kill themselves and calls them worst slurs for no reason if you get mad at honest, constructive critique?
His arguments were legit. He pointed out legit slips in your reasoning and therefore doubted whether it was a good idea to begin with. He wasn't even rude until you started to act like a drama queen
We can do legit discussion and be civil to each other, but we expect other people to be able to take critique and have a bit of thick skin and self distance

Is this real life?

Wow OP, good job melting down like that.