That guy that always uses Old Norse words for character names

>That guy that always uses Old Norse words for character names

>"My barbarian is called Reimuðr"

Is this ok?

Yes.

man i wish people would even slightly reference real mythology for once instead of Dark Souls and Jojo

>reference real mythology for once instead of Dark Souls and Jojo

Aren't the names in Jojo themselves blatant references? An odd choice for character name inspiration.

I don't see why not. I use old Saxon names a lot.

Possible objections:

>Hard to pronounce
>Old Norse doesn't exist in other worlds
>Break immersion
>It constitutes cultural appropriation

my players are blatant redditors / critical role fans, i'm used to it
honestly i've lightened up about it but I can always predict what they are going to say when they get that excited idea they want to tell me about

>Give your Dwarf paladin a Hawaiian name
>"Her name is Mahaelani"
>The other players keep asking if its Finnish

>Hard to pronounce
Only if you're an Americunt.
>Old Norse doesn't exist in other worlds
Neither does England, So I can't name my PC William now either.
>Break immersion
Wut?
Fuck Off. SJW.

4/10 made me reply

>Dwarf
>Paladin

Kys

What

Kys is a minor god in the Kek pantheon, right? The god of virgin suicides?

Paladin=human, LG, high charisma, etc

Not a fucking dorf you stupid pleb

actually kill yourself

The trips confirmed user...

I mean if it fits the setting and not too unpronounceable its fine.

Seriously it actually does depend on what game is being used. OSR laughs at the Dwarf Paladin, nu-D&D embraces the holy midget, and GURPS is well, GURPS.

>nu-D&D
That's not how you spell "faggots".

>That's not how you spell "faggots".
Shhhh, I'm not trying to hurt their feelings. You know how emotional they get, especially the 3.5e nu-casters.

Understood.

We don't want to make them flee to their little safe rooms.

>Give character a Finnish name
>Autistically maintain 10 foot distance between myself and others

>Kahunanui Kahekilinuiʻahumanu, Menehune Ali'i Maui

>Only if you’re an americunt.
...fuck you.

>that guy who uses modern day names for their characters because they can't think of a name

This one guy in my group always does this even when we offer to help him with names. His current character is George the Cleric

>It is likely that the historical Saint George (Georgios) was born in Lydda, Syria Palaestina in c. 280 as the son of a Greek Christian nobleman from Cappadocia. After his martyrdom in 303, the name Georgios soon became used more widely among Christians in the Eastern Empire.

>George is a modern name.
200 AD is modern. I figure it would be a rather old and traditional name. Especially for a fucking medieval setting!

I don't see why that guy shouldn't use a Norse name for his character. I played a gnome in 3.5 with a Finnish name and it didn't even sound weird.
It might sound strange, though, if the game takes place in a fantasy world without a clear equivalent of Norse culture, for instance, or if that guy uses that name as an excuse to make his character the vikingest viking that ever lived (including making reference to actual myths, that don't exist in your current setting, for example).

Fuck off, faggot. Go back to tumblr.

It's harder to be a bigger faggot than the person who calls things 'nu' anything

No, get your touhou crap out of here.

>t.nu-male

Let's not pretend that Dark Souls isn't better than anything you've created.

bad thread op

as a dm I use norse for npc's all the fucking time
>thor
>thord
>thorgrim
>thorir
>thorkel
>thorvald
>thorlak
>thorarin
>thorberg
>thorbjorg
>thorhall
>thorbrand
>thorgeir
>thorfinn
>thorgils
>thorolf
>thorstein

make a family tree by adding -sson to a first name
>I am thorolf thorkelsson, son of thorkel thorirsson

And instead of only thor you can also add: Guð, Grim, Stein, Ey, Sig, and Berg.

I took a sagas class in college and just use the index from my book

Saga classes? what do you do in the class?
I'm Icelandic and I'm curious if it's similar to grade school, as in reading all kinds of sagas and myths, and to make reviews and opinion about them and answer few questions?

>þessi gaur sem notar alltaf ensk nöfn fyrir náungann sinn

>"Bardagamaðurinn minn heitir Vincent"

Er það í lagi?

Epic tier faggotry.

who even knows

We read a majority of the "sagas of the icelanders" plus some others. Very small class for a select few norsaboos and people who wanted to avoid Shakespeare

Get the fuck out Iceland nobody invited you here.

>user implies you're a little bitch
>give a little bitch reply back

Yeah you sure showed them.

If you meet someone with a hard to pronounce name you give them a nickname. If their character is a stuck-up prick about it that just makes it funnier.

>Old Norse names

Nigga you best be baitin'. It's physically impossible to culturally appropriate white culture.

>He doesn't give his dwarves offensively Jewish names.

I feel like it's probably possible to "appropriate" a mostly-dead language like that, even if you're sincerely invested in the theory, so you were probably just trolling to include that.

>forcedelf.jpg
>objectively retarded post

Every time.

Wait, are we not allowed to like more than one edition of D&D anymore? I must've missed the memo.
Fucking faggots

Yep. He's pretty much named his character Raymond, but there's nothing wrong with the that. People can be Raymond if they want.

only if he's capable of pronouncing the eth correctly

Makes sense. Finnish tends to avoid complex consonant clusters similarly to Hawaiian. Source: ex-Linguistics major.

>cultural appropriation
>wrong

pretty sure that's google translate, and not an actual islending

>>It constitutes cultural appropriation
Have you just learnt about the concept and wish to show it off or something? Because, 1) it's not something as simple as it being a problem because people from one culture borrowing elements from a different culture. Even tasteful appropriation is still appropriation, even though no one has a problem with it.
2) No one except insufferable college kids and internet celebrities care about it, and no one else would use the term as fast and without thinking as you just did.
And 3) there are no Norsemen left. It's a dead culture. Stealing from it is akin to stealing from ancient Egypt or Greece. No one takes offense no matter how tasteless you are. It's not like having people dress up in blackface and performing a caricature of mismatched sun-Saharan cultures.

No. Vikingfags are objectively as bad as furries and weebs.

>And 3) there are no Norsemen left. It's a dead culture.

I uh... what?

Current-day Scandis aren't Norsemen, they're the descendants of Norsemen. They speak a different language, have a different religion, and are very different, culturally.

But modern day englishmen have about as much in common with their medieval counterparts as well. It seems strange to say that a culture is dead just because it has evolved to be different from what it used to be.

The Norse culture was pretty much dead even by the medieval ages. Claiming that current day Scandis would be like saying that current day Englishmen are Norse or German since their ancestors came from Angeln in northern Germany/southern Denmark.

Ég get komiđ og fariđ hvernær sem ég fjandanum vil.

>not gnomes

wtf thats me

Englishman here.

Medieval English is a dead culture. Religion and the practice of it has shifted considerably since then and we don't speak the same language as our 5th - 15th century ancestors.

That would require having gnomes in your setting.

Oh, you can like more then one edition of D&D I don't care, I just don't like WotC D&D, especially the clusterfuck that's 3.5e. Don't be that faggot who's screeches like a chimp because someone didn't like something you like.
Yeah, you sure showed me the error of my ways. Congrats.

Which Gygax D&D do you like then? Because 2 is basically just poorly refined 3

Norsefag here.
Reading stories about Bjòrnulf, Ragnar, Sigursdòttir and Fettleif is something i wholeheartedly enjoy.

It's not only ok, I highly encourage it OP.

Men for faen da.

>I can always predict what they are going to say
Well, it's pretty obvious what I would have posted here, so, as a twist, I'm not going to post it.

-sson translates into 's son or "son of".
>Thor
>Thor's son
>Torsson
-sdottir translates into "daughter of" or 's daughter.
>Sigurd's daughter
>Sigursdottir
>Haraldsdottir

I made an Elf named Bob before.

>That guy that always uses Old Norse words for character names

I would rather have that than my player who uses modern German words for character names.

What's wrong with german words and/or names?

Here's your (you)

Also it's pronounced "Ray-Moother". Easy-peasy, nigger.

Daily Reminder:
>Hide GURPS threads
>Ignore GURPS posts
>Do not reply to GURPS posters

>That mann what alwayes useth the namen of the Welische
>"Min brigande is callen Llewelyn"

Be this goodly?

Get the fuck out Chaucer nobody invited you here

>not using Gundam naming conventions
Gravis Maxwell, Arwent Goliath, and Vibram Aarba send their regards, cocksuckers.

How the fuck did Vincent become Llewelyn?

I admit that a recurent enemy for a pulp fiction is named Stardust Crusader he is a bounty hunter from outer space. Pic related is what a drawfriend made for me
I tend to name my npc randomly with a printed list of name suiting the setting. Otherwise I'm not using any other reference

*Pulp ttrpg not pulp fiction fuck

Kys.
Seriously.

Are you mad it's not yet another Ironbeard McAlefist?

If they're norse, then it's okay.

Retards that adopt names from different cultures should be beheaded though

>Yeah sure nothing wrong with using norse names, it's fantasy who cares?
>Fucking retard using hawaiian names, wtf is wrong with you kys