>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Tomb of Annihilation leaks album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>Tomb of Annihilation complete official art dump (pdf)
mega.nz/#!JyB0zbhI!UqyuEBdi65FfAWpQYJU8htDvJ8XE4wy_vpLOBQEZXc4

>Tortle Package (pdf)
mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI

>Previous thread:
Do you think Gish should be a ranger archetype to make up for melee rangers not having any damage spells?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off with that Gish shit.

Yes.

Asking again for new thread.

DMs do you actually track movement distance when travelling across a continent or do you just make it all up?

>Do you think Gish should be a ranger archetype
So literally arcane archer from the UA

I personally do, but not super specific. Open the world map in a program and divide it into hexagons or something.

Fuck I forgot that's a fighter, might as well make it a ranger subclass though

Arcane Archer is a ranged fighter archetype, so, literally, no.

Hunter's Mark should be a cantrip so I can actually use my other spells instead of having to keep my slots for Mark every time.

But yeah, I like the concept of Rangers having spellcasting, but their spell list is pretty meh. Having not played EK or Paladin, Ranger probably has the weakest half-casting list right?

>People already talking about shitty UA
see you guys next thread

Weakest for combat, stronger for nature survivor-ey stuff.

Make it all up normally

Gee Acerack how come your mum lets you have TWO 9th level spell slots

Yes I realized my mistake although it could easily fit for a Ranger

We've been talking about this bullshit for many threads. Might as well wait for the next UA article to come out.

>party encounters a NPC
>immediately distrust them
>party meets a weird teleporting dog
>immediately trust and follow it everywhere

Do you think we'll get an artificer in XGtE? I've longed to play a Victor Frankenstein character ever since 5e came out.

No, they've already confirmed mystic and artificer won't be in there.

I'm in progress on making a shaman/witch doctor archetype for druids. The main focus of the class is rituals - both casting ritual spells and performing special shamanistic rituals over a short rest for unique effects. Things like spiritual cleansing, tribal dances, voodoo, fortune telling, etc.

I want to know how the various short rest ritual abilities should be given to the player. Should it be a choice between certain level-specific options like the Bear Totem Barbarian and the Hunter Ranger, or should it be chosen a la carte from a list like WotFE Monk disciplines and Warlock invocations? I haven't decided how many options to make yet since I'd rather settle this first.

I guess that fits the class identity but i'll admit I was a little disappointed to build a melee ranger only to find that all the spells I wanted to use were concentration. Maybe i'll just have to take Con proficiency and hope for lucky rolls.

>Summon animals
>2 dire wolves + myself in melee
>Pack tactics

On an unrelated note: Running a Monster Hunter style campaign sounds fun.
>Little to no trash mob fights
>Get to scour the monster manual for cool monsters to make boss fights out of
>Get to frequently reward players with cool new gear that exhibits traits of bosses they've slain
Hunters are literally stereotypical DnD adventurers anyway so it works

where?

Yes, I do. It's not that hard if you have a proper map with distances.

my guys acted the opposite. that dog just needed some friends to pull them into the feywild

Anyone have any other trove links than that rem.uz one? Looking for one-shots / short adventures to fit into a campaign when I'm missing players.

>short adventures
Do you have Tales From the Yawning Portal?

Nah but I played it and most of them take more than 1-2 sessions to complete in my experience. Not what I'm looking for.

Look for the Adventurer's League stuff.

>group has never done a campaign that lasted more than 5 missions
>want to run a serious campaign that will last until close to level 20
>nobody wants to be serious or pay attention to the story

what do i do

Well, there could be an arcane conclave for Ranger named after the Order of Shooting Stars or drawing from the 3.5 Dragon Magazine concept of the Mystic Ranger, naming it the Conclave of the Mystical or something?

Or a Paladin Oath called Oath or the Arcane Order?

Kill them.

NG route: Find some people who are interested in long-form gameplay.

CE route: Spike their drinks and muffins with ritalin

On Twitter, like 50 times. The Mystic and Artificer will be going to the DM's Guild, where the Adventurer's League will test both of them. Once this massive playtest has balanced out one or both classes, they will be published in an official publication.

Other fag here.
How official is DM's Guild, anyway?

I maintain that Artificer's fixes should include 5th level spell slots.

DM's Guild is completely unofficial and fan-made. The Artificer and Mystic are exceptions.

Last thread brought this up, but has anyone actually finished a campaign?
My first campaign was LMoP, me and a couple buddies ran through it in 4-5 sessions because we were brand new to RPGs and didn't know how to branch out/improvise. Still had fun though.
After that I made my first homebrew campaign, we made it 6 sessions in, were just starting the finale arc when it fell apart. I was devasted that we didn't get to see my first baby all the way through, but such is life.
Now we're playing an exploration-based campaign, basically a series of loosely connected one-shot dungeons because our schedules are so hectic right now so not everyone can make it on the same night. It makes things easy for players coming and going each week, but I am longing for a complete campaign.
A lot of you guys playing the published 5e adventures say they last you upwards of a year. Is that weekly play or monthly play? But then you guys admit most campaigns never finish.

So what is the sweet spot for a campaign? I could probably keep my group focused if a campaign wrapped up within 5-7 sessions.

Speaking of fixes, the warlock needs unique level 7 spells, since it shares all four of them with the wizard and the sorcerer.

Reposting this from last thread, as we've continued the Gish discussion from it.

In my opinion, if we want to make a martial arcane half-caster from the ground up, we need to lay down some foundation rules.

Rule 1. The class's main focus is on damage, be it single-target or in AoE.

Rule 2. Spell progression will mimic Paladin and Ranger. Whether they pick up cantrips or not is for a later discussion.

Rule 3. The spell list should revolve mostly around spells that allow you to deal damage or put you into situations to allow you to do damage.

Rule 4. There has to be a trade-off somewhere for all the damage being thrown about, so look for ways that this can be done.

So far, based on the above, this is what I think every Gish base stats should be:

>d8 Hit Die
>CON, INT save proficiency
>Proficient with all simple and martial weapons
>Proficient with light and medium armor
>Choose two skills from: Acrobatics, Athletics, Arcana, History, Insight, Survival

I'll post my suggested spell list in another post.

I would like to see some more unique to class spells. Though considering Warlocks only have access to 7th level spells through mystic arcanum. It would be interesting to see that stolen by a bard.

Tomorrow we are finishing our 3 year long, bi weekly drow invasion based campaign. My bi weekly campaign of 7 months finished a few months ago.

Besides that, we've had a few never see the light of day, a few end within the first couple sessions, and two on-going ones now.

>Monster Hunter style campaign
Sounds really rad actually

(Cont.)

Spell list suggestions:

>Cantrips (if allowed, or added in via archetypes)

Acid Splash
Firebolt
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
True Strike
Eldritch Blast
Greenflame Blade
Lightning Lure
Sword Burst
Booming Blade

>1st Level

Burning Hands
Color Spray
Chromatic Orb
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Inflict Wounds
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
Silent Image
Thunderwave

>2nd Level

Blur
Flaming Sphere
Levitate
Invisibility
Melf's Acid Arrow
Mirror Image
Ray of Enfeeblement
Scorching Ray
Shatter

> 3rd Level

Blink
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Fireball
Fly
Haste
Major Image
Sleet Storm
Lightning Bolt

>4th Level

Fabricate
Fire Shield
Ice Storm
Stoneskin
Hallucinatory Terrain
Banishment
Blight
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

>5th Level

Cone of Cold
Creation
Dream
Flame Strike
Mislead
Wall of Force
Seeming

I would be inclined to follow those spell rules for the main class body, but make the expansions under sub classes

Make a very teleport focused subclass to mimic sword mage from 4E

Make a ranged focused Arcane Archer as another?

I've finished two modules and currently about halfway through a third one. I also "finished" a short campaign I made myself that I ran for a university gaming group but I had to cut out a lot of stuff towards the end of the semester just to let the story finish.
Around a year sounds right for a published 5e module if you are doing weekly play. That's how long it took me to run and finish PotA. I'm currently running Tyranny of Dragons and it looks like we'll finish RoT in a little over a year since we started HotDQ. That's with meeting once a week for around 4-5 hours. I feel like CoS and OotA could potentially take even longer depending on how much your players want to explore.

My thinking for the archetypes is that you have the Duskblade from 3.5, the Swordmage from 4e, and the Magus from PF.

Duskblade would be the melee, single target nova subclass.

Swordmage picks up shield + heavy armor proficiency and uses the Aegis (a thing it had in 4e) to protect allies from afar.

Magus would probably be the most changed, looking at more of a controlling/AoE blaster mage. They can burn spell slots to debuff a foe, akin to a Hunter's Mark that applies different effects, and looks to sit in the back and sling spells and pick up an expanded spell list aimed at controlling spell effects like Hold Person/Hold Monster.

This makes me sad. CoS seems like so much fun, but I know my group would never be able to get close to completing it.

depends on the speed your group goes and the length of sessions. my CoS group is keeping great pace, session 3 they have finished a lot of the stuff in Vallaki.

How would you flavor traveling through hexes?

Agreed. As a Monster Hunter fan, I would definitely be down to release a PDF of all the monsters.

Can you guys recall any stupid rules that your DMs have implemented? In my case, my DM refused to allow ability modifiers or proficiency bonuses during attack rolls.

>monster hunter style campaign
I actually have the barebones laid out for something like this. Still needs a lot of fleshing out, and definitely some extensive crafting homebrew but I think I can make it work and work well.

My DM tried to convince us that using crit failure table is good idea, but we didn't believed him.

What does your DM try to acomplish by such invasive house rule?

I played through the first session of LMoP twice
The first half of Out of the Abyss
All of Storm kings thunder

>DMing ToA somewhere down the line
>asked to play ToA this saturday

has uh, anybody played and DM'd the same adventure before?

>my DM refused to allow ability modifiers or proficiency bonuses during attack rolls
Did he apply the same penalty to enemies? Did he lower AC to compensate? Did he also nerf spell save DCs to compensate for area spells becoming so much absurdly better in comparison?
Is your DM actually retarded?

What are good NPC statblocks to populate an evil cult with? There's the Cultist, Acolyte, Cult Fanatic in the Monster Manual (the Priest is a bit too "good" and hits the same CR as the Cult Fanatic so..), do any of the campaign modules feature any cleric-casting NPC statblocks? Especially evil ones?
I'm still wary of my personal homebrewing skills to come up with good NPC statblocks on my own.

So, long story, I've had an idea particle strike me recently for a sort of "Reverse Lashunta" race; a Underdark/Hollow World race where the womenfolk look like female duergar and the menfolk look like male drow.

Could 5e mechanically handle this? I figure I could pull it off using the subrace mechanics to handle the male/female split...

volos has some warlocks

I played through HotDQ and RoT right when they came out. I finished running HotDQ a couple of months ago and now running RoT for the same group.

Interesting, how did that go?

now, have you ever ran first THEN played something?

>DM does not let us reroll saving throws on subsequent turns after being affected by a monster's ability
>You fall prone or drop your weapon when you roll a NAT 1
>Makes us roll perception for everything, investigation is literally useless

UGH.
Those are the worst, especially the ones that punish other player characters. I was in a game like that once... "Thief, you rolled a 1, your crossbow bolt misses the skeleton and instead does a successful hit on the fighter in plate and shield right next to the skeleton, roll the damage he takes."

When I asked him about why he did it, he just said "thats how the game is played". I'm still new to the game and he technically has the most experience out of the group since he plays with coworkers once a week. Although after having a chance to read over the PHB I'm just really concerned about what kind of fucked up games he must be having with his coworkers.

I might try my hand at brewing up some stat blocks for jaggis or something and post it in a future thread.

Explain.

I already made one a few months back that you might be able to use

That it does, but since it's a cult of an actual god I'm not sure fey, fiend or goo work...
I mean the warlock patrons are described as being lesser than gods, going by PHB fluff...

Probably a hex crawl style game

go into the trove and look up the red wizard niggers in the yawning portal

>Hexcrawl
Go back to /osr/, grognards

I'm gonna dm for new players tomorrow, someone give me a good one-shot.

Hexcrawl is literally what the ToA is about. Hexcrawl is mainstream now, deal with it.

>Monk uses some kind of obscure retarded spear weapon

Lost Mines of Phandelver

It has been going great. It's fun to watch how the party handles things differently compared to how the party I played in did. I also love dragon lore so I've been going a bit more ham with that compared to the guy who ran the campaign I played in. I can't wait for them to get to the chapter where they talk with the metallic dragons. I even gave the dragons that they fought against feats from the 3e Draconomicon to make them more challenging. They will be facing an Unholy Ravager of Tiamat after they talk with the metallic dragons.

I haven't, but one of my players is doing exactly that. He was the one who ran the campaign that I played in. He has been doing a pretty good job keeping the metagaming down but he does admit that he has to be careful about separating player vs character knowledge.

Should a 20 str medium-sized character be able to carry a willing

Death House
That Barbershop thing

This is as good as any.
youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo

>"thats how the game is played"
Does he not know the rules or is he purposefully ingoring them?
I hate that guy already and i haven't even met him.

Sure, why do you even ask?

Depending on whether the character is already encumbered. The halfling might just be the proverbial straw.

I'd rather have a Warlock-like list.

Misty Step m8

>from the ground up
Fuck off.

DM uses grappling rule from page 195 of PHB instead of carrying capacity when it involves other characters (even if they are willing). I think it's kind of dumb the 10 str wizard can carry someone just as effectively as my 20 str paladin.
Yeah, we don't really use encumbrance at our table. We keep things within reason, but aren't into bookkeeping like that.

I'm a barb with 18 str, 14 dex, 17 con, 9 int, 13 wis, and 5 cha. Should I cap str for my first ASI, or go for great weapon master? Also, later on, should I use a +1 con feat to level my con to an even number, or just do +1 con and +1 another stat? Kinda new to d&d, sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm a dwarf if it matters.

>Misty Step

Good suggestion, worth adding onto the list.

What's wrong with my wording? Or are you a lazy user who doesn't want to be productive with your time on the internet?

How would the Raven Queen feel about someone who runs an occult detective agency aided by the ghosts of deceased relatives?

Why the fuck summon ghosts, if you can just Speak with Dead?

GWM is good since you can get advantage pretty much for free as a barbarian. Get that, then cap str, then even out con with a feat or ASI

Maxing strength will be better long term as well as help with the rare strength save. Not to mention a barb without 20 strength is a weenie. For later, go for a feat that pumps con by 1 and gives you some other effect.

He wouldn't be summoning ghosts, rather it's his own relatives that are ghosts and aid him.

But carrying willing halfling certainly isn't when you should apply said rule - it is for forcing anyone to move with you against their will.

...if anything, he should use rules for mounted combat.

>crits add a maximized die rather than double the damage die, effectively neutering assassins and buffing non-paladin martials
>roll on the wild magic table when you roll a crit fail for a spell attack

>>roll on the wild magic table when you roll a crit fail for a spell attack
This sounds hilarious. I almost want to set up a campaign focused around magic becoming unstable just to do it.

my guess is that he doesn't know as much about the game as he thinks he does. He's the DM that'll make you roll damage on your allies if you roll a 1.

>effectively neutering assassins
I don't see it, isn't the entire sneak attack also maximized?

>He's the DM that'll make you roll damage on your allies if you roll a 1.
What a piece of shit
I'm not completely sure it was the wild magic table, but I do know he had a table specifically for spell attack crit fails.
>that's a 1
>okay, give me just a second
>for what? A crit fail just misses
>I have a table for that
The result was my next spell being empowered, which is on the wild magic table. That's where I got the assumption from

>Running Curse of Strahd
>Only pump it to the max
>Add creationist Lore, tie in characters to plot hooks around them
> read the crap out of old material to gain new shit, like giving Flesh Golem thematic Zeitgeber, other than seeing fire
>Player is actually disappointed with me when I show I'm looking to the book for a detail he had thought I had seamlessly made up and integrated into the story
>Quickly make up a lie, the roller-coaster of emotions is back on track.

I have the hugest DM boner going for me right now

Depends on how they ran it, if they only add one(1) max die then yeah all those extra dice they rolled stay what they are instead of doubling.

Yo is the artificer UA class any good? One of my players wants to make a classic alchemist that throws explosives and acid around.

I was just gonna tell him to be a Wizard and take spells that would make good throwing things, that i'd just count his daily spell preparation as potionmaking, and that his Spellbook was his alchemy book, but if there's something better around i'd be grateful to see it.