Ixalan prerelease thread

Ixalan prerelease thread

5+ hours until prereleases at card shops, are you going and which tribe do you plan on building around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vgiDcJi534Y
youtube.com/watch?v=6zTc2hD2npA
youtube.com/watch?v=LJFPPoGTPGI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Building around a tribe is a trap for sealed.

Checked.

Not sure if I'll be going to the midnight one, though I may go for Saturday/Sunday instead. Probably gonna build Dinos if I can help it. Depends what I pull.

New player with magic. Anyone can give any hints to play well in the prerelease?

Bread and Quadrant Theory.

Bread:
Prioritise in order of Bombs, Removal, Evasion, Aggro, Dregs (useless cards),

Quadrant Theory:
Give each card a point for these categories.

How good is this card ahead? How good is this card behind? How good is the card early? How good is this card as a top deck?

Estimated value. Might come in handy.

What´s a bomb? A finisher, like a big creature or spell?

Pretty much. Something that if unaswered will win you the game. Planeswalkers for example or Carnage Tyrant.

Went to prerelease in aus as a very new player, it was great. Built a deck with vampire knights

I got roped into a friend reunion thing at a prerelease tonight, I haven't played in like 2 years someone fill me in on what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

- play big, splashy thing over little things
- 17 lands, at least 15 creatures unless you have a crap load of removal
- always elect to play first
- try and stick to two colors unless you have a real bomb in a third
- have fun. my first prerelease was mirrodin, i drafted a Bonesplitter and a Spikeshot Goblin and went haaaaaaam all day, it was a blast

I'm not a new player but I've never played outside of playgroups at people's houses.

How different is playing at official events? Should I bring my extra sleeves for prerelease? Do they supply basic land or should I bring my own?

>How different?
Prerelease is pretty casual so probably not that much difference. The main one is probably the fact people aren’t going to let you take stuff back.

>Sleeves
You should bring sleeves. Never know if you’ll pull something worth saving. If you don’t have any spare, your LGS will sell them.

> Lands
Should be a land station. You’re not expected to bring your own.

Obviously I'm not planning to do it, but if I can make Naya Dinosaurs with my Sealed pool I will.

If you're not bringing your own mismatched white border/black border/old border/new border/one full art land only set of lands, you're going to go 0-4

I was confused since my first prerelease was like 11 hours ago and I'm doing my next one in an hour.
Then I remembered I'm Australian.
I built UB Pirate tribal, wasn't planning on doing pirates it's just what I pulled was perfect for it.

Oh yeah my play group isn't mega casual, you can't just say "I'm going to attack with this, ok I'm blocking to kill your creature, oh lol nvm". The most that happens is "instead of tapping this mana I meant this one" but that's rare.

Also based on the spoilers it looks like Red/Black or Red/Green is going to have the biggest chance to have strong decks so I plan on building around that depending on what I get. Is that a good plan?

It’s a good plan to have an idea of the best cards in each colour. Google Ixalan Limited Reviews to see overviews.

However, I think going into the pre release thinking “I’m going to run R/B or R/G” is dangerous. Look at your pool and decide from there.

Yeah that's the plan but looking at the spoilers there's going to be a bigger chance to be good in those colors. Hopefully it works out like that so I can win some extra packs but I won't be bummed having to go other colors based on my pool. It should be a good night with friends regardless

youtube.com/watch?v=vgiDcJi534Y

Thread theme?

>Go to prerelease with friend
>We get matched
>Very new to mtg and he knows it
>Constantly mocks me for not knowing what the best cards are in the set, insults my deck building all the time, always has a smug expression when he attacks
The worst part is he looks around if people are watching and then he acts like a dick head

That doesn't sound like much of a friend. I only did dickish stuff to my friends when they were learning magic like showing them to not tap out all of their mana for a big creature when they know I'm not tapped out and have cards in my hand by countering it or killing it or when they swing all out when they don't have to then play Aetherize and returning their entire battlefield to their hand.

Lessons like that taught them how to become better players, simply making fun of someone for being new and not telling them how to improve is stupid.

Long Islander here. Which store you going to?

What should I do? He doesn't listen to me, yells over me is a pedantic prick and the part that gets me is that he acts more like a dick when he knows others are around. He's the only friend that plays magic and can drive though is the problem

Go to the store and chat it up and play with other people who seem cool and patient so you can find new people to play with, a lot of MtG players don't mind teaching new players when you say you're a beginner since it grows their playergroup.

I get scared of the veterans honestly, I was matched against one dude who had a playmat that said he was champion something and was top 8, I was freaking out

Sounds toxic. Just stop hanging out with him if you've already tried to get him to stop. Find your own transportation.

Before you play a game against somebody, let them know you're new. Don't ask them to take it easy on you, but ask them not to rush through steps.
After every game, ask your opponent if you had any big misplays. Also if they don't seem like they're in a hurry to get away, ask for deck advice. Most people are happy to help.

As far as making new friends at your LGS, be personable, ask people their names, chat about cards that you pulled/want to pull. Just showing up at your LGS and shooting the shit will get you familiar with the regulars. If your LGS runs different formats, try them all, since the crowds and attitudes can be very different.

Champion Playmats don't mean a thing, except that they probably know how to play the game. They could be a horrible sperg like your friend, or they might be very friendly and helpful.

Just got back home after a 4-0 sweep. The set is really really bad. Just play flyers since everyone is timmy'ing dinos. Wouldent go again if possible. Still fun hanging out, but seasoned players might want to sit this one out..

>sitting out free extra packs

>ship figurehead is some dude she petrified
Fucking savage Vraska

Fuck packs, no value in this set. Just buy the singles you need and have a night out pulling birds instead.

That one dinosaur is like $25 and will probably sell that high for a month or two. I can't see it getting lower than $10 in the long run because it will definitely see play in modern and EDH.

>Banking on mythics
Yeeeesh

Can't go to the midnight one tonight because I have a cold and its also neckbeard city. I'll be fine waiting until sunday when the cleaner LGS does it. Hoping to go UB aggro but don't complain if I have to play different

There isn't a single dinosaur that will see significant play in modern.

>midnight prerelease pull UB Pirate/Treasure Generation
>Saturday prerelease pull UR Pirate/Treasure Generation
fuck it my next standard is Grixis Pirates.

More like it since there are more good pirate and explorers in the set.
youtube.com/watch?v=6zTc2hD2npA

Ixalan prereleases are cancelled in my country. I'm so bummed right now.

Your whole country user? What kind of third world shit hole/tiny ass country do you love in that that cancel all events in it?

honestly don't know if trolling. tyrant is barely playable even in standard constructed

Can confirm. I won my prerelease just using flying shit.

For those of you who are already playing: anything you underestimated at first but then once you saw it in action realized that it was more brutal than you originally thought?

They said there's a delay in shipment so the prerelease will probably be delayed to next week or something. Simply no one here have any Ixalan boosters yet.

Is this worth attending? I'm more of a modern/pauper player but have had fun at drafts of what I would consider bad sets (amonkhet) before.

For me, prereleases are always fun to attend. I only play limiteds though so your mileage may vary.

I'm about to attend my first pre-release event, but I'm aiming for pirates.

youtube.com/watch?v=LJFPPoGTPGI

I play mostly Modern and Commander and I always have a blast at pre-release, even if I usually don't prize out - I find it fun to get a chance to play with some of the new cards and hang out and get swept up in the new set hype.

That is officially the worst prerelease I ever had. I had the worst pulls I could dream of. Green had one fatty and no ramp, just tiny creatues and a few fight spells. I pulled maybe a dozen White cards, mostly dino-related humans with maybe 5 Dinos in all my colors. Red had Removal, but no creatures. Blue had heavily specific tribal effects at high mana costs and no way to get there. Black was just a smattering of Hank. Didn't have enough to really run any tribe, and none of the colors gave me what I needed for proper good stuff. I eventually got something janky with White Green to work, just using lifegain, air superority, weenies, and the one fatty I did get to a weak out some wins. Of course, that was my after I'd already gotten blown out in the first two matches by trying to use all my Red Removal with pirates.

I even trird asking for advice from some dudes there, but it was so mixed it was ridiculous. I went from losing the first game because I had no small drops, to getting told to branch into Green for some creatuees, then getting told later I needed to ditch some of the only creatures I'd managed to play.

It was an absolute mess and it is a miracle I went even.

>implying people will fall for this bait

The White Pterosaur Knight, and the other 3/3 flyer that gives something else flying. Those are really hard to deal with unless you've got removal, and it's rather easy for them to out muscle a lot of other decks.

Its not even bait. I am just fucking cursed or something man. I got absolutely nothing good and struggled to find more than 14 creatures actually worth playing to put in a deck.

>Be new
>Do an exile combo that lets me proc enter the battlefield effects twice
>Think I'm the greatest player ever for doing this
Good feel

>buying the rick and morty expansion

>be new
>roped into midnight release at the last minute
>no idea what the fuck is going on
>still manage to win one match
Don't even care that I got blown the fuck out after the first one. I had a blast and managed to get out my first planeswalker, so I count it as a win

Glad you're having fun user

>5/5 trample haste
>Another Dino gives all creatures double strike
How to combat this?

I've literally never played magic but I have the opportunity to go with some members of a club to a prerelease event tomorrow, is it worth going or should i wait for release and play casuals until i can reliably put cards on the table?

Prerelease is the best event you can go to as a new player

Either learn from the club or watch.
Anyway, prereleases are good for new players because there's no pay to win present. New players will still get whipped by players with more experience, but at least it's not because they're dropping thousands of dollars on the game.

awesome, might try to go then. Thanks for the helpful response.

with this maybe?

My promo was Huatli and my first pack had a second Huatli. I didn't even glance at my Blue/Black pool, ended up with a fairly solid Naya Dinosaurs deck.

I just got back from prerelease, I went 1-1 before I had to go because the tournament started an hour late and by the time the 3rd round was about to start it was 330am.

I wanted to go red/green but I got a shit ton of red and green dinos with the humans who ramp them and make them cost less. The little 1/1 raptor hatchling, the dino with flash, the dino that does 1 damage to every creature, and the dino who makes a token and gives everyone else haste were the mvps. Fun deck but I dont see me using it outside of this. Black red pirates seemed the strongest

>be in south east asia
>used to play MTG a lot during high school/uni years
>30 years old now, can't really justify the time and money needed to properly enjoy mtg
>prereleases are like 90-100 bucks local currency, professionals my age make 3000-4000 bucks a month
>have marriage and property ownership planned very soon
>almost no time to play MTG in the last two years due to working 2 jobs

It hurts, anons. I miss flicking the cards in my hands.
Don't ever end up like me, anons

>flicks cards
Glad you're out.

Explore seems OP, no risk, mass benefit. Especially when combined with the other cards to give counters etc

Wanted to run dinos but didn't get enough of them. My two best rares were in colors that didn't have enough support. Did decently with U/G and twice managed make an early Deeproot Champion into a 9/9 with flying.

It depends on the exact card, but generally yeah. It's either an on-curve or slightly better creature stapled to a Scry, or it's slightly below with a card draw. I wouldn't say it's OP, since the creatures are still mostly vanillas after they explore and aren't that strong, plus they do have some risk with the uncertainty of what you'll get. Along with that, Expore itself doesn't have that much support.

It would be OP if it were more aggressively costed. It's fair for what you're paying for it.

Invest on huatli and black flipland = make money.
Trust me

Which is the black one?

Arguel's.

Explain your reasoning.

Thank. Any reason why you're expecting an increase? Will Standard like the Greed effect that much or is it something more arcane?

Not much to say. They both look pretty good in a vacuum and match ok against standard burn. More importantly both are very cheap now and especially for huatli being mythic it only takes on tournament in which someone does well with her and people freak out and price will raise fast.

>Pulled a regisaur alpha in my first pack
>guess im going RG dinos

So what will be the best removal for dinos in standard?

Bigger dinos

This card is so busted, won 2 matches solely because of how ridiculous it is paired with anything with evasion or hell even a 1/4. Basically a 6 turn clock once it hits the field.

Just got in from prerelease, can confirm that fliers just fuck with everything. Kinjalli's Sunwing just makes people cry, especially if they're running vehicles at all. Territorial Hammerskull was a fucking ace as well.

You mean for a dino deck to run or for dealing with dinos?

Oh man I had 4 of those but my blue was shit so I decided to ignore them. Feels bad man.

Had double Regisaur in my pool and went undefeated, that card is disgusting.

>Visit plebbit mtg for no real reason, just to see whats happening
>Majority of comments are people trying hard to prove they played the game when it was new.
It all feels so disingenuous, maybe they're telling the truth but when you have comments like "heh, sometimes I catch myself saying fast effect", it all reeks of tryhard

>growing rites
>16 bucks
EDH was a mistake
>carnage tyrant
>30 ducking dollaridoos
Timmies were a mistake

The 5/5 hasty trampler for five is obviously disgusting, but this guy is a real sleeper.

>5+ hours until prereleases at card shops
>Americans

It was awful playing at 4am with dumb kids that ask you to speed up when it's the second time you play and you have headache.

But at least I got a Jace.

>MFW someone pulls 6 fucking mythics
>been buying boosters for 2 years now and i only ever gotten a single mythic rare./

I'll go on sunday afternoon(brazilian time). It will be my first official event, given that I started playing with my younger brother about a month ago. All the weirdos at the lgs were always pretty nice to me, so I hope it'll be fun.

Planning on doing my first prerelease at noon. Can I play my promo card in addition to the six packs?

Had a good ass time. I got a u/w dual land promo, immediately wanted to run that but first pack had Vraska and I had tons of flash/flyers and blue bombs, so I went Sultai Control. If not I could've went Jeskai Mid Range, my pulls were just so good.

Ended up 4-0, won the night, Vraska won every game she was in except 1 due to super flooding (still close af game). Explore is actually so useful in limited but holy hell treasures make 3 color AND high end curves feel so damn good. Lot of the time I felt in complete control, and stalling felt good af bc my bombs were board wipes in my favor. Good run for me.

If I could do it again (I can't this time around) I'd seriously reccomend any premium removal and just let the value cards rule. Every thing from raid to explore to treasure just makes any deck so smooth bc they are all mechanics that function passive to regular gameplay. I don't think building with tribes in mind is as good as just throwing in good ass value.

>buying mapped boosters
That's what you get.
At least buy a box, it's only €80.

Wat

I got three from the six I pulled lastnight but none were good

I want a playmat of this thing its so cute

Yes

>plan on going R/B aggro with removal
>open up packs
>everything is telling me to go R/G dino
>do it
>keep in mind the mana curve, put in the humans who lower dino's costs, and other low cost humans and merfolk who are great value
>end up being the only dino deck who won more than 2 games

Everyone else who did dino put too many shitty 6+ drop dinos or tried to play 3 color when they had no mana fixing at all. Overall it was a fun even though I've never played at an official tournament before but I went 3-1. I'm happy the stories about there being new players wasn't true for my shop because I would've felt like I stole wins if I played them.

>italian
I'm so sorry

Italian is the best language, why would you be sorry. First foreign edition in the whole world too.

>lands for 4 of my rares
>no bombs

Well, I went 0/4, but at least I can improve my EDH manabase?