So how big a "mech" could be piloted and still kinda fit into human inhabited places...

So how big a "mech" could be piloted and still kinda fit into human inhabited places, I mean more like corridors in buildings than "warehouse spaces" or places with high or vaulted ceilings?

Keep thinking 10ft, but should I stick it more at 7-8, 8-9 range? Basically want people in these mechs hanging out with people in space suits and cyborgs in fairly normal sized spaces.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0skQA6Cz5cs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only power armor, keep it under 7'. It's only a mech if you're under 4'.

well what's the size of the average single doorway? you'd want them to at least be small enough that they could fit through one with a little ducking & turning

There are human beings that have trouble fitting through standardized doorways already, with no suits or armor on them. Also doorways vary quite a bit in size; some are as low as 6 feet tall and some as tall as 7 1/2 (assuming a standard American home) and it probably varies even more elsewhere in the world. Also they can be between 29 and 36 inches wide, so that's an issue too.

It's really just a question with too many factors. I don't think mech suits are suitable for the problem at hand. A powered exoskeleton with armor plating is the more logical answer.

About this big.

Whatever will fit through a standard naval damage control hatch/watertight door.
Since they already have standardised designs and size for these, it seems logical that similar hatches will be used in the future, probably reusing component designs to simplify logistics.

Yes! It just needs legs so stairs dont hinder it!

And guns.

Only slightly bigger than an average human. So about 8 feet tall and about 4 feet wide max. That would be more like armor than a piloted machine.

A 4 foot tall guy is not getting through many doors. Most are 3 feet wide.

Anything bigger than this would be impractical for moving through buildings and even this is larger than optimal

Any Mech or Mecha larger than this is unrealistic and should not be used by competent GMs.

MECs from EW are about the biggest I think would be practical, and that's assuming you don't need to go onto the second floor of non-reinforced buildings because they'd probably weigh about as much as a car with a much tighter footprint (literally).

Also in EW, but instead of airstrikes it's armor and a minigun.

All mechs imo should have some kind of minor flight/hover ability.

>competely aromored everything else
>Exposed feet

Why though?

Everything's enclosed except the boots. Why???

Clearly fake boots to trick the enemy into wasting ammo on the armored feet.

Depends entirely on the setting.

Large built up future cities? Pretty reasonable being up to 15 foot.

Wow that looks very stupid!

You can make it pretty tall, but as soon as you start making it wide, it'll have to break every doorway.

It's a realistic tacticool take on the Appleseed Landmates.

>It's a realistic

There's absolutely nothing realistic about that picture. Heck, from the engineering standpoint, the Landmates are the realistic ones of the two.

It's just Deviant Art garbage done by an artist who wouldn't be able to make a functional screw-driver. They have probably never even used one in their entire life. These kind of people have zero pedigree on what constitutes a functional mechanical design.

But user! Blocky = Realistic!

Don't forget:

Covered in shitloads of complex, unnecessary detail = Realistic!

Also, having the pilot walk around in a constant half-squat is going to give them horrible cramps.

>piloted and still kinda fit into human inhabited places, I mean more like corridors in buildings
>want people in these mechs hanging out with people in space suits and cyborgs in fairly normal sized spaces.
With those limitations, I can only think of midgets piloting 8 feet tall mechs that look like pic related

>midgets

Chop off the user's arms, legs, and pelvis; stuff them in a cocoon and pilot it by neural link. As a bonus, now they consume less supplies.

Depends on the hitbox.

Lets take it a step further and have only a brain inside a fully robotic suit roughly 6 feet tall of average build, kept alive by very scientific fluids fed through very scientific tubes to keep it alive.

I knew a fat programmer guy who had to turn sideways to fit inside the metal detector at the airport.

This is why I love Infinity both as a Wargame and an RPG.

Landmate/TAGs are perfect for gaming and I wish we would see them more often in games. They are the perfect way to have a mixed party including a robot pilot without leaving anyone out, they balance well since a well-placed rocket launcher can still down them fairly quickly.

Also, let's face it TAG-sized mecha are the only mecha that are in any way Physics friendly.

Does it specifically need to WALK through standardized doorways, or can it have wheels on its toes and knees? I'm a big fan of hybrid mechs like that.

>Can draw
>Want to design cool looking, but at least half-reasonable mecha, power armor and other scifi tech
>No idea of engineering or anything related
>No idea how to get enough of a grasp without going to university or some shit and fuck that
Fug

Why?

Not that user but presumably for mobility reasons.
Of course, any hover/flight ability you strap onto a mech would be incredibly inefficient and borderline useless because humanoids are not designed for flight in any way, shape, or form.

Mecha will never be reasonable. Any real-world technology that would make mecha even slightly viable as weapons platforms would be far more effective employed in any other configuration, like on a tank or unmanned drone.

Frankly, you're better off just drawing gonzo shit that's more focused on aesthetics than functionality. It'll certainly be more distinctive than the near-identical, over-designed generic garbage that passes for "realistic" mecha.

Basically the trick is to come up with an aesthetic design for mecha you like and then work backwards, assigning "reasons" to key aethetic elements - say for instance your mechs look like they're in bondage gear with sort of "strap" like arrangements or wrinkled leather bits at joints, so you say "okay, the straps are artificial muscles" or whatever and you then take the elements of the aesthetic you like and have given reasons to and you do ANOTHER mecha, but you now design it with the "reasons" for the aesthetic elements of it in mind, so you put more straps on the arms, legs, maybe "abs" of strap-muscle etc...

Unmanned drone you're indisputably correct about unless you consider robutts people , but legged vehicles do have some significant advantages over wheeled/tracked ones, like height and mobility. Full-on gundamns will never happen simply because of the square-cube law, but imperial guard scout sentinels/alien power loaders both have good niches.

>human beings
>cant fit through a doorway
Pick one

Wew lad
Humans come in many shapes and sizes
Some of these shapes and sizes are absolutely disgusting

>imperial guard scout sentinels
A loud, slow platform on rickety legs, that leaves the driver vulnerable to small arms fire from all directions. How is that better than a quadcopter drone with a camera attached?

>alien power loaders
You mean cranes and forklifts? The things that already have perfect designs for their particular jobs, and infrastructure designed and standardised around them?

I'd say go the opposite. It helps to have an idea of actual military vehicle design and why the look the way they do.

Basic stuff would include having as few "bullet catches" as possible and sloped/curved/angle armor. Keeping hatches, seams, and exposed systems to a minimum. Making sure the operator is completely covered. Understanding what kind of power source is being used and the needs (radiators/vents/intakes/snorkels, etc).

Then you can work your aesthetic back from there.

Land mates and power Armour in general have always bugged me. You've got this big hard thing right in between your legs and you can't just toss it over your shoulder like you would your cock.

You'd need a really wide gait and I'd imagine it would get uncomfortable after a while.

It's called the Achilles Mobile Strike Platform.

Well, Landmates are already one of the biggest bipedal mech i can think that can be worked on in near future. According to original manga, they we're stand between 7ft to 10ft so they're fairly small. The biggest combat 'mates like Guges series are standing around 8ft, 10ft are mostly a heavy duty suit for factories and stuff. there's one that reach up to 20ft on volume 4, but it was (kinda) easily taken down by 2 veteran Guges pilot.

Also, the 'think tank' like Fuchikomas from GitS was fairly realistic i think.

Well, Landmates are already one of the biggest bipedal mech i can think that can be worked on in your environments. According to original manga, they we're stand between 7ft to 10ft so they're fairly small. The biggest combat 'mates like Guges series are standing around 8ft.

Or, android bot like C6 robots, ME's Sentry mechs or Infinity's Stingray TAGs (Tikbalangs and Uhlans) are nice.

Also, the mini 'think tank' like Fuchikomas from GitS was fairly fit i think.

I give you the 2300AD combat walkers.

>can't run
Jeeze

I'll better use the Ma.K. Ammoknight, since they can hover.

That's because the BH-21 is the Mark I tank of combat walkers - it was the first to be taken into use, and by the game's timeframe it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Here's a more modern one, the German Kz-7, which was specially designed to be more manoeuvrable and better armed (a plasma gun and a laser) and armoured than the BH-21. This one can crawl and run.

Bondage gear mecha? Can somebody design a few, please?

Nope, because Veeky Forums doesn't allow fun.

>Also, the mini 'think tank' like Fuchikomas from GitS was fairly fit i think.
youtube.com/watch?v=0skQA6Cz5cs

>Any real-world technology that would make mecha even slightly viable as weapons platforms would be far more effective employed in any other configuration, like on a tank or unmanned drone.
>Artificial muscles
>Master-slave system
>Will change the effectiveness of a tank in any meaningfull way.

Stop user, you only make me laught more at how retarded and clueless you are.

And we're talking about compact mech for close quarter combat in narrow corridors and alleys, in which are basically infantry dominant battlefields (something power armor and landmates excels at, being smaller than even a fucking sedan). Only ahmed and slav that would ever think to bring a tank in such enclosed space without shooting themselves in the foot with ATGMs.

>Unmanned drones
Great
Basically just unmanned mechs

yo, that's kinda weak. real shit would be getting full robotic suits, 6.2 feet tall, slim, piloted by brains kept alive in little cases stacked in a container on a deep sea submarine, via scientific methods.

Hey, he's finally get throught it in the end at least.

And Tachikomas exist, with slimmer pods.

/aco/ has a few very Veeky Forums threads, though. This request would fit in nicely to

Underrated.

Landmates, tachikomas, power armors and TAG of infinity are your best bet anyway, only look for an aesthethic than you like and build from that. Infinity as a setting has plenty of cool stuff to steal, as well as Heavy Gear or JC, tough the last two have big mechs.

That was a fetish I didn't really need. I have too much filth in my mind already.

How easy is to jam a drone?

Best power armour coming through

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear...