Do D&D players understand how cringey they sound when talking about the game?

Do D&D players understand how cringey they sound when talking about the game?

>So yeah, my character is a Half Dragon Aarakocra ranger/warlock. My familiar is a guard drake with 53 hit points, which is way stronger than me. I have this combo where I took a feat and I can do like 16d8 lightning damage per turn at level 8. And my DM is totally going to let me have a pet dragon at level 11, but I have to raise it from an egg.

This was an actual thing that my coworker told me today. Is this the state of RPGs at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7QwQPX_yjnM
youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is this the state of RPGs at the moment?
no. it's the state of your coworker.

I sorta get that this is largely just you getting unreasonably upset, but can you explain to me what part is cringey?

Is it that they like dragons? Is liking dragons cringey?

Does OP understand how cringey he sounds when shitposting about D&D?

I think it's just that guy got more detailed than is acceptable around non-friends. It means he probably mistook you for a friend. Which you're not, since you're shitposting about him. Sounds like he believed you knew the system too. And you're here so you probably do.

How is it any different from someone listing off the stats of their favorite sports team, or telling you about the modifications they made to their car, or telling you all about their kids?

It's all cringey if you didn't ask to hear it in the first place.

It's the state of assburger at any moment. I'm barely normal passing and I know not to go on about that kind of shit when someone asks about D&D.

>My character is a devoted chef and butler. (STOP HERE IF DETECTING DISINTEREST)
His class is totem barbarian, but I basically just play him as Geoffrey Butler with muscles. It's different from what I normally do, but I'm having fun helping taking all taking all the hits for squishier allies.

Also I am drunk apparently. The point is that it's easy to talk about D&D like a story and not like a collection of shit nobody gives a shit about.

>how cringey they sound
>cringey
Back to Facebook with ye, normalfag!

>D&D players
Found your problem.

See, Dungeons and Dragons has finally cemented its place as a containment RPG. It's not like this wasn't already a thing. Ever since third edition came out the trend was already starting. Fourth edition came with the popularity surge of The Big Bang Theory which resulted in a spike in sales, which was not enough to save 4e's badly-written mechanics. Fifth edition was specifically watered down to be palatable both to grognards (who do not rely on the active D&D community nor do they need a new ruleset, thus this pandering was stupid) and to normies, who flocked to the game in great masses thanks to the game's appearance on two terrible TV shows (Stranger Things and Big Bang Theory). Also, the prevalence of Critical Role podcast created quite a lot of love for D&D, which found itself inundated by waves of new players. Wizards of the Coast saw sales skyrocketing, giving them the false message that dumbing down the game represented an improvement in game design (though they did streamline many of the mechanics, which *was* a good thing). As a result, Wizards is very happy with this diluting of the Dungeons and Dragons fanbase. Veeky Forums has also deluded itself into thinking this influx of players is a good thing. This lack of foresight is to be expected. D&D is now the containment RPG. It keeps the dumb-ass Skyrim addicts and the brain-dead hipster roasties who can't even figure out which die to roll, out of the good RPGs. Which is sad, because D&D, despite being shit in many small ways, was overall a very fun and enjoyable roleplaying game. It was structured that way. However, the fanbase it is now attracting is making it intolerable, and the way said fanbase is guiding the mechanics is a direction that would make a game like Dungeon World seem sophisticated.

So, in short, it's D&D and it's players that are cringey, not RPGs in general. They SUCK at roleplaying and make the normalfucks think we are all like that.

>roasties
stopped reading there. Hi, virt

I agree entirely. The fact that WotC is funding a D&D movie directed by the guy who directed Ghostbusters is a sign that the game is going to shit. These players are being trained to play Dungeon World.

I'd pay good money to see a reality show of his day to day life.

Well, one episode. I don't think I'd have the fortitude to endure more than one.

Shut up Virt.

Ivan Reitman's a good director, though.

>This was an actual thing that my coworker told me today.

Ha-HA, oh no, not herr Feitman.

/thread

Mhmmmmm fuck you!!!!!!
D&D is... simple fucking EPIIIIIIIIIIIIC!!!!!!!
G back to playing poopy poop poopy popster games fuck you >:(

Listening to an enthusiast talk about something will always sound cringey if you have no fucking idea what they're talking about.
>Oh yeah, he took the ball and ran it 14 yards before he got tackled, but because the player had struck him, the ref called a yellow card which gave their team a foul due to unnecessary roughness.
Your problem is that you associate passion with autism because you hang around places (like Veeky Forums) where people don't know how to dial that shit down and translate it to the layman's terms. That or you're 13 and/or a normalfag, in which case, everything you don't like it cringe anyways.

People who try describing a character and then actually just rattle down a statblock are not roleplayers. Simple as that.

hehe yeah fuck normies >:D
youtube.com/watch?v=7QwQPX_yjnM

>going to conventions
#JustNormalfagThings

It kind of is, thanks to the Internet.

>>My character is a devoted chef and butler. (STOP HERE IF DETECTING DISINTEREST)
>His class is totem barbarian, but I basically just play him as Geoffrey Butler with muscles. It's different from what I normally do, but I'm having fun helping taking all taking all the hits for squishier allies.
This is excellent stuff man

It has always been the state of RPGs. Players love talking about their characters in boring, mechanics-focused terms. This happens a lot between D&D players because it's the most commonly played, but any RPG where two people have a shared interest will have one trying to bore the other to death with all this stuff that is totally interesting and relevant to the one but could not matter less to the other.

Yeah, how about playing this game?

>talking about what you did in the session and how fun it was
great
>talking about your build
fuck off I don't wanna hear about how you got +whatever to Initiative, anyone can do that.

Yeah it seems pretty cluster fucked right now.

When elves and dwarves are not fantasy enough anymore you have to pull things out of your ass to sell books.

>Oh yeah, he took the ball and ran it 14 yards before he got tackled, but because the player had struck him, the ref called a yellow card
So much this. True cringe factor.
>Be me at work
>Get asked " did you catch (x) vs (y)?"
>No I'm not a sporidiot
>Later that day...
>"U really don't watch sports?"
>I watch mma some, but not niggerball of any kind
>" Oh man, you gotta watch (x)! Dude last night ran for 255333yards n stuff!!"

Just. Fucking. Die.

fpbp per usual

I like the fanfiction where you used the term "niggerball" to your coworker.

You mean you don't call them "basketball Americans"?

You missed the point of the post you quoted completely.

>roasties
Stopped reading there, incel detected.

Why are you playing ttrpg if you are worried about how cringe someone sounds

Has your hate for dnd blinded you so much?

>Sports are dumb. I watch human cock fighting instead.

Hi Virt.

What OP describes is well past the point of "liking dragons."

I'll stop talking about my interests when they shut the fuck up about football.

You have to remember though that your interests are played by a niche audience, so talking about it in front of other people will give you pic related. Everyone has some idea of who is playing against who in burgerland football, unless your some autistic NEET.

>Everyone has some idea of who is playing against who in burgerland football

LOL no

>sporidiot
>Is such an underage he can't dislike something without giving it le funnay insulting nickname
Now this ia true cringe.

>So did you see the other day match? man, Dan has such nice statistics this year..blahblahblah

If you were talking about a sport played at the international level, like (real) football, then you might have a point, since people can easily wrap their head around one nation beating another nation.

No-one outside America knows who the Cubs or the Packers or the Spartans or the Warriors or whoever are, because they're all based at the city level, and most people only know the names of like, 6-7 American cities.

Do you like anything?

I've heard of the Cubs. They don't win things, iirc?

>Packers
youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk

Still not as cringey as saying 'Ladyknight' unironically.

>literal_faggot.png
rude.
xir is a nonmonogamous queer not some mundane fag.

Oh god no...

Not an issue where I'm from.

Zero nogs on the job site.

>cringey
You really, really must have a nice life, if you're worrying about self-conscious, suburban retards "cringing" on your behalf.
Gramps fucked my mom and killed my brother. I talked to my dad exactly once when I was 3. I'm getting shit hours in a job that I'm overqualified for (Granted, I love doing it). I'll fucking sit there and talk to myself about the weird way my balls are hanging if I want to.

Seriously, the brass fucking balls on you little shits. Your complaint is that not everyone else has as painfully high of an opinion of themselves as you do. Going to have to order one of those half-naked anime figmas now so I can shove it in my window just to mess with you fuckin mollies. I could carry it around the store like fucking Linus and his blanket, or put it on my flattop.

Most of them.

But this guy sounds like a fucking idiot, so no.

It's not that he likes dragons, it's that he's going off about MUH BUILD faggotry.

I like you. You can come to my house and fuck my sister.

I get why it's pointless to talk mechanics if someone doesn't know the system but why is that a problem?

>p-p-powergamers are the cancer killing tabletop RPGs

Thanks m8. You can come to my house and take mine with you.

>mfw op is as much of a faggot as this coworker he is shitting on and is trying to distance himself from the creature he knows is closer to him than he wants to admit

Roastie detected.

>Running 255333 yards
>Presumably in a single game
Fuck everything else, now THAT'S impressive.

I don't really consider it to be outright cringey, but whenever I read someone talking about dnd I find myself thinking "Why?"
There's all this talk about classes, class specializations, class hybrids, prestige classes, homebrew classes, racial bonuses, feats, modifiers, proficiencies, levels yadda yadda yadda.
It just feels like an unnecessarily large pile of gamey nonsense terms that have more in common with grindy mmos than they do with stories of adventures or board games.

I would actually consider those first 2 things to be cringey, and the last one to be very different from the other 2 you listed.

This.
It's not cringey, it's intensely boring. It's an adventure game!
Fuck telling me about the rolls and stats, tell me about the time you tricked a bridge troll into paying you, or the dinner party with the duke that exploded into chaos over a joke about two pregnant goats and a halfling, or the duel to the death you had with a Gentleman Lich. I play tabletop for adventure and I prefer to focus on that. The stats just give it structure.

Welcome to 3e DnD, which was literally accused of being Diablo edition when it came out. Because it is. People complain about 4e being an MMO in a tabletop, but that shit was happening before 4e was even a sparkle in some faggot's eye.

>my DM is totally going to let me have a pet dragon at level 11

This has been a thing in D&D for the longest time. There was a whole prestige class in 3.5 for clerics of dragon deities that let them have dragon wyrmlings given by their gods.

hey its a writer from Big Bang Theory!
hi!

It's even more autistic that you managed to remember, word for word, everything your coworker said down to the number.

Are you rain man?

they just won world series for the first time in ~108 years or something like that

How dare people have fun in ways _I_ don't approve of!

Yeah.

That's how I figure out if a prospective player is worth actually inviting to a session - I ask them to tell me about one of their characters, and unless they tell me a fucking story that entertains me they can fuck right off.

I wanna hear "I had this thief that had the worst luck. Pretty much the first time the party needed him to do thiefy shit, he scaled a wall to spy through a window and gather some intel... and then fell off the fucking thing and nearly died." Not "One time I played a thief that only had 1 hit point at 1st level, but I was really careful and made it to 2nd level."

This dude gets it

I certainly know a person like the OP. Purposefully makes obtuse characters that don't work, either mechanically or RP wise. That's where they derive their fun though.

At the the of the day it's on the DM. If the player can create a backstory with enough depth to explain all their bullshit in a compelling way, I say go ahead.

Although, whose idea was it to make birds and cheetah people playable races? I mean, I'm not as anal as Gary and think only humans should be playable, but c'mon. I had one guy play a oneshot who RP'd some character who couldn't even speak languages due to their race.

Bazinga!

>tfw friend talks about the 4e game I ran three years ago

/thread

if i talk to someone that doesnt play or if they ask me what it's about i usually bring up the comparison of lotr of skyrim about how you go around and do shit and how there are races and classes and usually tell them about a few scenarios where in a video you would either does this, or not do this, whereas in d&d you can do this or that or whatever etc. and about how there's always something to do because if it ends you cant realy start over from the beginning because you cant reload a save like a video game and that it is better than most video games because if it wasnt so interesting than why would people play it at all

>bragging about your shitty life on Veeky Forums
Kys faggot

>dude slang lmao

Someone in my group was talking about another campaign they're joining where they're making a C'thulu bladelock half-drow.
When I commented on that, direct quote:
>Lol I know hownit sounds I'm not planning to play it grim darky though

>sporidiot
>niggerball

I fucking hate sports and even I think you're retarded.

You sound whiney as fuck. I hope your dad fucks your wife and kills your son.

Wait did I miss something? I can't find anything saying he's directing a D&D movie

everything ive found says Rob Letterman

Depends, did you ask?

No? Yeah, its probably him. This was some in-depth work he was proud of and wanted off his chest. You were convenient.

Yes? He knows his craft and thought you were 'on his level.' In scale, he dropped a full play by play with background data, stats and experienced season predictions when you asked for the scores.

Interest and deep lore always looks cringey from the outside. Where you at?

>what part is cringey?
This.

(OP)
Do people with interests understand how cringey they sound when talking about them?

>So yeah, my [Noun 1] is a [Adjective][Noun]. My [Noun] is a [Adjective][Noun] with [Number][Statistic], which is way [Comparative Adjective] than [Noun 1]. I have this [Event] where I took a [Noun] and I can [Verb] like [Adjective][Number][Statistic] per [Event] at [Event]. And my [Person Title] is totally going to let me have a [Noun] at [Event], but I have to [Verb] it from a [Noun].

Protip: Cringey people sound cringey no matter what they are talking about.
However, there is nothing wrong or cringey about discussing, with those interested, a publicly acceptable topic in public.
I was going to say "discussing your hobbies in public", but then it occurred to me what Veeky Forums's hobbies might include beyond Veeky Forums.

the real true definition of cringe is describing something you like to someone who doesn't care

>the real true definition of cringe is describing something you like to someone who doesn't care
True, although when first broaching the subject there is a small window of leeway where the speaker is understandably unaware of the listener's disinterest.
But that window closes damn fast and then you're left with pure cringe.

By OPs definiton, the cringiest people I know are talented guitarists in bands. Interests and passions for those interests don't by definition make people cringey.

Grow up cunt.

>Is it that they like dragons? Is liking dragons cringey?

Liking dragons is great. Loads of people like dragons, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. It's like how people enjoy the idea of dinosaurs.

What's cringey is people going around talking about bestiality as if it's the same thing as regular fascination with mythical creatures.

Is OP making whiny bitchy meta-posts on a topic he's literally entirely free to just ignore the state of 4chins at the moment?

That was rhetorical, I know this has always been the state of 4chins. OP is still a faggot though.