Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

OC DONOTSTEAL edition

reflecting on the worst of 40kg sub-edition

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=fVWObn2XXLo&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-US/Rules-Errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-NO/Death-Guard-Terminator-Conversion-Set
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for fuck the splinter threads
hit me with the new codex lore, i double dare ya

Nth for Khorne

Poorfags btfo

>9
It was Tzeentch all along, silly.

If I want to run dreads, whats an optimal number? 3?

>69
But he clearly meant for Slaanesh to bear the blame.

blood angel players what units are doing well and what units are doing poorly in you lists

Deepstriking lemartes and some death company really reallly suck if you cant make the charge for sure

Loving my Libararian dreadnought

Plasma sanguinary guard with warlord librarian deep striking have been superb

Looking for some more consistent units Thinking of a storm raven with brother corbulo astorath and 9 death company instead of deep striking them

No, clearly the 6 before the 9 represents Slaanesh trying and then failing to take the initiative.

Of what? For Deredeo, stick to one, and generally plasma is the best. Autocannon is just too niche, though I reckon could be an unorthodox way to beat away models like assault terminators. Lascannon is a joke, and the plasma is just good at cooking away all sorts of anything- just keep a captain (and preferably lieutenant) nearby.

In general, dreads are best alone, but taking like 3 moving their own way. Forces split fire and scares the hell out of their line

How's this for a simple 1000 pt space marine list?

+HQ+

> Captain, power sword, master-crafted boltgun

> Chaplain, jump pack

+Troops+

> Scouts (5) w/ Sniper rifles, 4 camo cloaks

> Tac Squad (10), plasma pistol, meltagun, missile launcher

+Elites+

> Terminators (5), assault cannon

+Fast Attack+

> Assault squad (5), jump packs, eviscerator, melta bombs

> Attack Bike, meltagun

+Heavy Support+

> Devastators (5), 4 lascannons, combi-plasma

Y'know, I was thinking of something. The WAACfag has always chased whatever's OP, by definition. Barkstar, Superfriends, Helturkeys, whatever. Which might have even led them to buying entire armies at the turn of an edition. But now that GW realized it's $_CURRENT_YEAR and the Internet exists, we're getting quasi-frequent FAQs and shit, and the cheese might be rendered quite pasteurized whenever it gets out of hand. Will this lead to an increase in WAACfags hopscotching around armies and builds rather than keep to their greasy choice for an entire edition? Would this actually impact GW's sales in any way? IIRC they've been on record saying that collectors and painters make up for the lion's share of their profits, and the WAACfags and tourney players just buy on eBay or whatever. But it's interesting to think how a less troglodytic approach to balancing might affect GW's bottom line, for better or worse.

well pretty much all metal models are like that. they tend to be heavy so it helps keep them from falling apart mid battle.

not too sure about the head options. i got mine off ebay already assembled. this one i'm posting is the earlier model from 3rd edition while the current metal is 5th i believe. this one from 3rd also needed greenstuff to keep the torso together

I'm optimistic. I think GW's gradual shift to updating rules online, much like with patches to PC games, will not only keep the game more balanced, but help with GW's profits.

They could use it to do some slimy stuff, though, like make a model purposefully OP just to increase sales, then downgrading it later.

If you want people to critique a list, you need to provide context and strategy as to who you might face and how you intend to approach it.

40k is a mathhammery equivalent of rock, paper scissors essentially. You need to take the right tools for the right job.

You could post a fantastic list featuring lots of close combat units. But if you intend to stand them in the backfield with their dicks out, then its a shit list.

You are unlikely to get a response to list posts anyway, but providing context at least makes it more likely.

Sup /40kg/. I'm just getting into the game and bought Dark Imperium and First Strike. I'm looking to make a 1k point death guard army, here's what I have so far:

Lord of Contagion 120
-plaguereaper 30

Malignant Plaguecaster 110

Noxious Blightbringer 63
-plasma pistol 7

Plague marines 5x 95
-plasma gun 13
-plague sword 1
-power fist 12
-blight launcher 14
Plague marines 5x 95
-plasma gun 13
-plague sword 1
-power fist 12

Poxwalkers 13x 78
Poxwalkers 13x 78

Foetid bloat drone 99
-Plague spitter x2 34
-plague probe 25

900 pts

What should I add/change? I'd like to get some of the new DG minis but they're not out yet.

What is the most badass thing one of YOUR DUDES have done?

If hobbyists do make up the majority of their sales like they say they do, GW just has to keep making models to stay afloat. If anything balancing the game will help retain players and keep people buying since WAACfags and poor balance drive more people out than they bring in.

You don't know any actual competitive players do you?

Most of those guys are building/painting either a new army or a substantial change to an army a couple of times a year in order to stay optimized as the meta shifts due to new codexes.

Necron players are the fucking worst people.
Necrons, Slaanesh, half of orc players and non IG Imperium players can fuck right off

isn't that like 60% of the playerbase?

next time i hear an ork player do their stupid fucking low-test voice break "waaaaaagh" every time they roll a dice I'm going to just burst

At least 75% considering how many non-IG Imperials there are.

If there's something worse than smug Marine players, it's IG player's who think they're God's gift to the tabletop. I don't think any faction's players are so far up their own asses.

You're right, I apologize.

The purpose of is to be a good all-comers list, as I'm going to be facing a lot of randos at my FLGS. Grey Knights are the most popular army there, but there's also Eldar, Ultramarines, Tau, one Admech player, and one Chaos player.

I have everything on this list but the Devastators. I've been wondering how to best use the last 182 pts on my list, and the Devs seemed to do a good job, giving me much-needed anti-armor.

>Necron players
>existing
lol

marines equal like 55 percent
Slannesh, Necrons, Orks combined are the other 5 percent

I've seen plenty of those old-old ones on ebay. I've considered grabbing one, but I feel like it's -too- small and people might think I'm trying to dick them over with that.

Thanks for sharing, user.

Howdy folks. So I just read through the AdMech codex leak and I'm hella excited to actually start building my army, finally. I had put it off since 8th was releasing not soon after my initial interest. As far as buying stuff, I only have the start collecting box, an extra box of Skitarii, and an extra Onager.

So I'm looking through the Forgeworlds and I kinda can't decide which I like better. I'm torn between Lucius and Stygies VIII.

Lucius
Dogma: -1AP weapons become 0AP weapons
Trait: +1 Invuln
Stratagem: 1CP: Hold back a unit. At the end of any of your movement phases, deep strike them within 9" of the enemy.
Relic: One use 30" teleport shunt, staying 9" from the enemy.

Stygies VII
Dogma: -1 to hit if further than 12" from the enemy
Trait: +1 to hit vs. non-imperial and non-chaos armies
Stratagem: 1CP: Infiltrate a unit 9" from the enemy in deployment.
Relic: Roll a d6 at the end of each fight phase for each unit within 1". On a 4+ that unit takes a mortal wound.

They're sorta similar, sorta not. Personally Lucius has better all-around junk. I do love the idea of being able to deepstrike nonsense whenever I want, especially if its something like a unit of destroyers right on top of a backfield relic, or a unit of Corpuscarii into the face of the enemy. Then I throw down a bucket of dice and things die. Their dogma leaves something to the imagination though, but that neuters a quite a lot of weapons AP values at the end of the day. The relic seems really fun for a last ditch effort teleport, too.

On the other hand, Stygies is more friendly with its Infiltrate stratagem, meaning I can throw sniping rangers around wherever they're needed. Plus, the dogma is hella useful in all situations. The stratagem is almost useless if i don't get first turn, and the relic is pretty crappy too.

The timing of this post is amusing, considering this post came just before it.

I too am just getting into the game. I don't know much, but I've seen several Battle Reports where Bloat Drones are used, and they don't live nearly as long as you'd think. Trying to add some movement to a DG list seems like a good idea, but I guess the opponent just sees the squishier unit, and automatically focuses fire on it.

she's about the size of a dreadnought i guess but i'd have to get out my girls to be sure. the size difference isn't that big

I've always herad of people getting free stuff here and there from their local GW. Is this true or is it more of a lie we tell others to make our purchases seem like less?

>herad
and fuck my spelling

>she
Anyway. Eh. I guess I'll keep it in mind. Might go looking on eBay again.

Is anyone else unable to justify getting marinelets now?
They just look so lame now. But the options are Primaris and Deathguard

Their rules are better, but I agree I am unintentionally phasing out my old dudes.

So, I've never played 40k, but I've recently come into possession of a Forge Father's starter set and was curious if I would be allowed to use them as a Squat army in 40k (using an Imperial guard or maybe SM codex)? Will I be ruffling feathers using an entire proxy army?

I've only ever played historical and X-Wing. So, I'm not really familiar with how proxies are treated in general.

Wow xD le funny maymay! squats amirite? xD

Only if you make it impossible to be perceived as modeling for advantage.

Won't be able to play in a GW ever, but i guess you could use them as SM.

So, no?

Are Mantic models bigger or smaller in comparison? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

In a GW store: No. but you don't want to play there anyway.
With friends: yes, unless you have asshole friends, because that thing looks exactly like i visualise a squat as in my mind
at a local gamestore: Kind of depends. Most are ok with proxys but an entire army of proxys is pushing it a bit because you're taking revenue away from them by buying 3rd party shit, but I still don't think they'd mind. Ask your opponent is the gist of it.

modeling for advantage is basically making a dude smaller so it would be easier to hide behind something, or bigger to get sightlines or something. Basically you make it so that a model is in fact worse than normal for the sake of fairness (modeling for disadvantage)

Personally, I REALLY like the Stygies dogma. If you can park a unit of rangers in cover with the Arquebuses, you can get great saves for those monsters. Since most armies these days, at least in my meta, rely on characters giving buffs, even three of these units can majorly hamstring an army for minimal point cost, and they're too hardy to take off the table turn one. Sure, they could try to use high AP firepower on these guys, but there are much scarier things that they want to kill first.

If you can combine that with a few faster units to keep the enemy tied up in the midfield for a turn or two, you can really hurt the enemy bad. The infiltration stratagem helps in that, and also lets you do things like plop some guys down on the relic first thing in the game.

I play more when the games are balanced and fun, and play less when there are joke builds like smashfucker and triumvirate.

I also buy more when I'm having fun because I like trying new things, but I'm not gonna throw money at a broken game.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people (non waacfags) operate similarly.

Chapter Tactic - Special Issue Ammunition for all bolt weapons at no extra cost.

Xenos Hunter - Reroll all to-hit rolls for shooting and close combat attacks against xenos.

Hatred is The Emperor's Greatest Gift - 5+ resilience against wounds.

Go play DG if you want 5+ FNP for free

>implying only dg should ever have it

Grey Knightlets are just laughable

take your reroll morale and choke on it, memewatch

I totally plan on running some Arquebuses (is that the plural?) with some rangers. Probably fill out my battalion with just those guys, really. One big vanguard squad with arc rifles, two baby rangers with arquebuses.

I really love the psuedo stealth though. That, combined with infiltrating, really makes a fun army imo. But I'm choosing between psuedo stealth and infiltration or teleporting and better armor for everyone in the army. There's a lot of -1AP weapons out there that lose their steam because of that.

I'm also not keen on mixing forgeworlds. All or nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

>implying deathwatch should have it because "we're angry and stuff"

Typhus badly overshadows the lord of contagion and plaguecaster. Bad if you don't want to use special characters, but if you don't mind then he's very easy to proxy/convert from a lord of contagion.

I would want more plague marines to justify the blightbringer. With just two squads i'd take rhinos instead.

Whether or not Plague Marines are good or not is still up for debate, but if you want to use them DG certainly has the tools to make them a threat. Plasma guns and blight launchers are the only special guns worth looking at, but they're also both very good.

The plaguespitters are the worst option for the bloat drone. Both the heavy blight launcher and lawnmower are good, depending on what you want the drone to do.

In terms of good stuff to consider, the plague crawler, daemon princes, and blightshroud terminators look very promising. Cultists are a tried and true chaff option that happens to be slightly more dangerous thanks to inexorable advance and being able to recycle them into poxwalkers. Preds and hellbrutes do the same stuff for DG they do for CSM. Mortarion is very powerful, but also very expensive.

Npc player detected.

Those old metal greater daemons make for great daemon princes these days.

Thanks, I suppose I have enough points to add a rhino so my troops can move around faster.

I don't play either of those factions, so probably not the best person to comment.

To be honest. You are very unlikely to get any worthwhile constructive feedback here. Your best bet is to Google your faction forum (or go more generic - somewhere like Dakka) which not only contains faction specific knowledge, but has an active community that actually wants to help. Read the boards as most of them contain either a tactica thread or threads discussing optimal unit choices.

It is a much better use of your time than trying to get blood from a stone here.

Just my $0.02.

Reduce points costs, make special issue ammo a point cost upgrade, more of the marine options, give them some kind of reroll to wound against non chaos/non imperium armies. That will fix Deathwatch.

Working on a 1500 points list for. How's this look?

Jump Pack Sorcerer - 93
Plasma Pistol - 7
Force Sword (Puscleaver) - 12

Helbrute- 72
Twin Lascannon - 50
Missile Launcher - 25

Havocs x5 - 65
2x Lascannon - 50
2x Missile Launcher - 50
1x Chainsword - 0
1x Bolt Pistol - 0

Havocs x5 - 65
2x Lascannon - 50
2x Missile Launcher - 50
1x Chainsword - 0
1x Bolt Pistol - 0

Chaos Predator - 90
Twin Lascannon - 50
2x Lascannon - 50
Havoc Launcher - 11

Chaos Land Raider - 239
2x Twin Lascannon- 100
Twin Heavy Bolter - 17
Combi Plasma - 15
Havoc Launcher - 11

Khorne Berzerkers x10 - 160
Chainswords - 0
Chainaxe - 10

Chaos Space Marines x5 - 65
Boltguns x4 - 0
Plasma Gun - 13

Chaos Space Marines x5 - 65
Boltguns x4 - 0
Plasma Gun - 13

(1498)

>all that las
who hurt you?

What's the point of taking a Land Raider Terminus Ultra when a Spartan Assault tank has the same firepower + a twin heavy bolter and has a transport capacity that makes the Crusader look like a joke, all for 100 points less?

remove your useless troops choices so you can get ablative wounds on your havocs

Looking at leviathan.

1-2. It's pretty powerful, but is slow and over 300 points for a good loadout.

Looks like things simmered down. But those splinterfags do have a point. Why do we always just shitpost instead of actually discussing lists and actual lore that isn't dictated by said shitposting?

Cool. Double gravitons? Or one grav, one claw?

Just one, and go with double guns. For all it's looks, the leviathan doesn't do much with fists, at least when compared to far cheaper Dreadnoughts of other types. Take it with two storm cannons or grav-flux and call it a day, but grab a comtemptor with chainfist if you want to scratch the melee itch

>Why do we always just shitpost instead of actually discussing lists and actual lore that isn't dictated by said shitposting?
I don't know, why do we come to Veeky Forums?

>Xenos Hunter
Okay bro, I know you're butthurt about Tau from last edition but we don't need stupid rules like that.
If you want to power creep so hard as to get automatic rerolls to hit for your entire army and get 5+ FNP by the time the tau come out it's gonna be shit like: "All hits cause automatic mortal wounds" as an army wide bonus.

I prefer double gravitons, but I play CSM so the ability to drop the double shooting stratagem with grav is just crazy. The big thing is grav is good against everything so long as it's in range.

GK have a similar rule where they reroll all failed wounds against DAEMON units, just pointing it out.

He just likes to attempt to get max D6's while rubbing blood on his face.

What weapon should I give 5 man squad of chaos Marines? I want to actually run CSM and not just cultist filler even though there's really zero reason not to do just that.

Exactly.

Not your bro, taufag.

>I actually have enough models now to run a 100+ Boyz list
>This is not only viable in this edition, but one of the most powerful builds in the game

Because retards keep fucking replying. You wanna stop shitposters? Stop feeding them.

Well the point is that rerolls are the norm now. Get used to it m8.

Reaper or Blight launcher on Terminators?
I see a lot of people saying to take Blight launchers over Plasma, even against T7/8 vehicles, but the Reaper has four shots which just feels more reliable to me.

>Tfw Blightlord sprue has only one of each combi weapon and not enough axes

reaper is always a trap option

Generally, I say take whatever gets you the most rolls even if each individual one is lower probability. 2 4+ rolls is always gonna be better than 1 3+ if you ask me.

-t. Ork player

it's also always been the coolest looking option, as with the assault cannon on imperial terminators

>a trap option
Speak not the T word, lest you invite the devil into this thread.

Nothing that costs points. At MSU and footslogging, those marines will never accomplish anything

Looks like the Blight Lord kit doesn't even have enough swords or axes to equip the whole unit

Why do they keep doing this shit now? BoP and BoC had shit loads of extras, enough to outfit every termie with fists or claws etc, extra heads and stuff

Really worries me for the Plague Marine kit

Some kind user's posting forge world lore pages in the AdMech thread.
Full leak when.
Captcha: COLUMBIA Only

Putin pls leak admech dex

The Blightlords kit has me so conflicted.

The terminators look awesome but I'm not sure how to even build them given there are so few options?

Is it even possible to abandon the 'optimum' thinking? Could you rub a unit with 2 swords, 2 axes? With 1 combi melta/plasma/flamer?

Seems difficult to think about.

It's far easier for GW to skub you for special weapons than it is to actually put what you want to use in the box.

I'm currently scanning the web for some more transaurunic arquebus and I can't find any to save my life. I'm going to have to end up buying someone's prepainted scrap or find some use for another 20 skitarii.

But this has always been the issue, hasn't it? Who else misses when you could buy bits from GW. The bits catalog. RIP

forgeworld.co.uk/en-NO/Death-Guard-Terminator-Conversion-Set

Better blightlord models

I'm salty about this but at least I have a huge bits box, so converting myself some extra combi-meltas and getting rid of the insect stomach torso shouldn't be a problem. I could also cut up the Great plague cleaver in the regular Plague box when it drops and use it as a bubotic axe for the champion.

It'd be really infuriating if this is your first foray into 40k though.

Thanks

That's as silly as the guy a few threads back that went on about how much cheaper the FW Deathshroud were.

Man they really had a growth spurt in the last 10,000 years huh?

You could say they've bloated in size.

>Is it even possible to abandon the 'optimum' thinking?

What made me stop doing this stupid ass shit was realizing that I gluing and painting the coolest weapons I liked and enjoyed the most gave me a lot of joy, compared to using boring weapons I didn't even like, in multiples of the same shit, and then after all that effort, having to swap it next edition.

What's the fucking point? All that extra effort and even expense buying bits and for what? For nothing.

And don't say magnetize because magnetizing infantry is stupid as shit. Although with GW's prices these days it may be necessary. But whoops, too bad, GW doesn't make kits properly weapon swappable anymore with the current releases.

Man, checking that out, it feels like there's supposed to be a third sprue they forgot to take a picture of or something.

T H I S. Metagaming is retarded as fuck when it comes to wargear. It's why my 10 man GK squads have an equal distribution of swords, halberds and falchions so that I can field whatever I like depending on rules and depending on what fits the lore best.

If you like getting even fewer weapons options with your Terminators than the mis-matched options giving in the Blightlord box.

And Lt. Dan mode.

I don't think they do this on purpose. It's more like complete ineptitude on the part of the rules writers. I mean, look at the Ork release in 7th edition. There were tons of new models, and all of them, barring the mek gunz, had absolutely atrocious rules and were never, ever used on the tabletop unless you really liked the models. This happens over and over again. In this edition it's more the result of the writers being terrified of making something OP, they make everything equally smoking garbage, with the exception of the Primarchs. Look at the new Deathguard terminators. They cost a kidney and half of your liver, but the rules are just so-so.