Would Veeky Forums be interested in a Mahou Shoujo miniatures game?

Would Veeky Forums be interested in a Mahou Shoujo miniatures game?

Other urls found in this thread:

www27113u.sakura.ne.jp/incubator/incubatore.html
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/loliwars/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Actually, yeah, that sounds like it could be fun.

Would it use 1/8 scale figures?

Conceptually, yes.
Materially, no.

That would be a pretty great idea.

In all seriousness probably not, I was thinking standard 28mm scale. To be honest if I were better at 3D modelling I'd make some designs myself and sell them via Shapeways or something. In fact I might try and git gud at Blender for just such a reason.

I suppose the biggest question would be what kind of ruleset it would have. I was thinking a Necromunda/SW:A style skirmish game that could be played either with rival magical girl gangs duking it out, or more traditional "magical girls vs monsters" gameplay.

Also there'd be the issue of names and lore and all that but that comes later.

It might be better to develop a game that people can use the figures they already have as well as the ones you make. That way there is already a sense of being able to act out things with their favorite Mahou Shoujo's

One problem with that is at 1/8 the monsters would get too large. It could work with more abstract combat system where models don't need to be to scale with each other.

A skirmish game would be neat, maybe each player brings a Magical girl squad and selects a Monster to fight. Or squad of monsters.

>Would Veeky Forums be interested in a Mahou Shoujo
Ye...
>miniatures game
Go fuck yourself

Yeah, that's not a bad idea, though as far as minis of existing characters go I'm not sure what there is. I suppose one could theoretically use small enough trading figures for use with the game. I mean as funny an idea as using 1/8 anime figures is they'd be much too large for gaming with (at least IMO). With 28MM at least it would be easy enough to convert existing miniatures. I mean FWIW I wasn't thinking of GW style ONLY USE OFFICIAL MINIS REEEEE crap, any suitably sized magical girl figure would do.

Thanks, that's what I had in mind.

I guess an RPG would be cool too. Though some people like to play RPGs with actual minis so it could work for either.

Depends on the gameplay. It's a cool theme, but you'd need to do something clever and unique with the mechanics to really interest me. If it was just another squad based skirmish game I'd see it as wasted potential.

>not card game

But i want to capture them.

Would work better as a card game.

That's a good point, hence why I reckoned the asymmetrical "magical girls vs monster" mechanic might be a good one- so 3-5 moderately powerful models vs 1-2 very powerful models (just as an example). I'm no rulesmith, I just wondered if Veeky Forums liked the idea of a game with magical girls in it.

A card game would be cool, and would probably be easier to make, I'm just a sucker for little metal/plastic/resin figures.

There are already plenty of card games. MS the Minis game sounds new

You're right, I just wanted to make the card captors joke.

I must admit my magical girl knowledge is fairly poor, at least compared to my, some what half arsed, sentai knowledge.

What are some good examples of magical girl monsters?

Giant bugs are common, or representations of a part of the human psyche like greed, lust, sadness etc

Way I see it could being done, maybe one or two magical girls leading magical whatever beasts, or evil magical girls with evil whatever beasts, or asshole magical girls throwing asshole whatever beasts around to be assholes.

I don't think having magical girls leading monsters is a great plan.
My thought was to have 2 groups per player, one of just a magical girl group, and the other just monsters (though an evil/corrupted MG could be an option for the latter and a 'redeemed' monster or pet for the former)

Or possibly one player takes the role of monsters and the other takes the role of MS

Evil magical girls are everywhere in magical girl media, usually edgy with black costumes with sob stories. The good magic animals I suggested just to fill out groups of magical girls that aren't evil.

You could simply go the CCS or Madoka route and have Magical girls competing for a resource, it could be magical items or simply the quest for power.

But that seems like a direct path to it being just another skirmish wargame.

I like the idea earlier of asymmetrical boss fight battles and things like that, or figuring out an interesting take on wargame mechanics to suit the genre.

Is the intent to be able to mix and match different girls from different groups? If so, having an evil group might not work, but if it is preset groups that is fine

I didn't think that far ahead to be honest, was more thinking of the absolute basics.

With the asymmetrical boss fights, perhaps rules for a lair/location as well that changes some of how combat goes.
Like you would choose boss, then select area. For instance if City was selected, AoE stuff would take a hit because of civilian casualties.
Or if it was a Cave location, flying wouldn't work

I'm trying to imagine that but all I'm getting is Commander fornat MtG with more lolis.

Weiss Schwarz

>plastic crack
>lolis

Sign me the fuck up, senpai. Just ignore the sounds of my weeping wallet.

You'd need to do something interesting with movement mechanics. Your average urban combat minis game is about advancing a line of dudes 6-12 inches at a time and dashing from cover to cover. Magical girl battles take place on a similarly-sized battlefield to the average game of Necromunda, but they usually involve like 2-4 combatants and they're flipping and flying all over the place.

Actually now that I've had the chance to think about this more I think it might be cool. I'm thinking like special commander only effects, a sort of front/back line system since some magical girls are more shooty than others, and using girls as resources to cast spells or whatever by using up their turn instead of taking their turn attacking like normal or something.

>Commander fornat MtG
>not mothefucking Jyhad
I mean c'mon, you could even reuse some of the mechanics.

Weiss Schwarz. Seriously, it has a frontline/backline mechanic and has a few Magical Girl franchises in it.

On my own time, I've been slowly working on a Tokusatsu miniatures skirmish game, and Mahou Snoujo are one of the factions.

Only if I can play as magical boys and/or dark magical girls

When I picture a strategic Mahou Shoujo game, this is something my mind jumps to: www27113u.sakura.ne.jp/incubator/incubatore.html

Disregarding edginess or lack thereof, I like the pitch that the player/commander is a funny animal buddies dashing to manage and distribute their team members. It's something that could translate into a competitive format well, too - with players rushing to recruit normal girls to their cause and distribute resources correctly.

Unrelated, here's something that people had going for a while. Although there's a more militaristic vibe to the whole thing, some mechanical concepts might be useable
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/loliwars/

I've already rethemed a couple board games as pmmm.
exactly why I'd stay away from the skirmish/war game route as it doesn't seem to compliment the genre.

no and you should fucking leave Veeky Forums forever

Miniatures are fucking expensive so no.

Almost literally anything. But they're usually big. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru pitted the heroes against something orders of magnitude bigger than all of human-occupied space at the end.

How are you doing the miniatures? Just modeling for people to 3D print?

Hey you

Eat a dick

I'm actually trying to make it model-neutral, with only display-base size mattering. The move from B2B to TLOS was in my opinion one of the worst moves that the Warhammers made, and my frustration with that move inspired the core basing mechanic for this. Literally the point of the game is to have the army be broad enough archetypes, that you can use whatever models/figures/toys you already have lying around. Wanna pit your teenage mutant ninja turtles against your old space marines? Feel like having Zoids fight Gundams? I picked Tokusatsu because it has enough broad sub-genres, and is much more permissive of OTT crossover bullshit.

So what you're saying is, if I was a regular buyfag with a couple grand worth of figma, I could use them to field an army?

If I thought I'd ever have anyone to play against, I'd be interested.

Only some Magical Girls.
Many Sailor Moon fights have every assume positions, only generally moving to dodge an attack or pushback from getting hit. Also other then being able to leap skyscrapers, they move at a general human pace.
Mermaid Melody, battles are even more stationary as it become difficult to sing and run or swim at the same time.

Meanwhile, Sakura chased the Fly card several kilometres across the city.

When I'm done, I fully intend to put the game up for free on 1d4chan. If/when I monetize it, it'll be through a patreon supporting the continued release and printing of more specialized army-lists, to compliment the broad-categories I create with release: for example if a shitload of people who have a bajillion Tohou-figs lying around decide to play and support, I'd probably put a more specialized Not!Tohou list first on the "splat-list" dockett. Right now, I'm still playtesting the core armies/archetypes.

Once it gets out of alpha and into beta I'll probably drop a PDF or two around these parts to try and get feedback.

OP take a look at the game Relic Knights, maybe some ideas from that might help. Less so the objective thing, but more of the anime style of ranges/terrain things

>Would Veeky Forums be interested in a Mahou Shoujo
Honestly I'd love a Mahou Shoujo RPG, though I wouldn't want my friends to see me playing it
>miniatures game?
what

I think the best alternative would be to have both forms of play:
a) Competitive: Each player brings a MG squad and they try to bash each other
b) Cooperative: Both players form a common MG squad and join forces against a big evil monster and its minions. Of course, we would need good rules that allow the monsters to move sensibly through full random mechanics, but I think it would deliver the right mahou shoujo feel.

Also look at things like Super Dungeon Explore for how to handle the non-controlled movements and such.

I could actually see something like Giga Robo working here, a board game that got kickstarted a while back.

It's a mecha combat game, with each giant robot having a sheet and a deck of cards representing its traits and attacks, along with resource mechanics and environment interactions to make things interesting. Each deck is customisable, creating a combat system with a lot of options.

I could easily see those ideas being adapted to a mahou shoujo duelling game, although likely more in the vein of the combat in the Nanoha series (which is basically mahou shoujo mecha anyway)

Here's what I'm thinking so far.

>5-7 models per team
>unit profiles are based on archetypes like tomboy MS, mascot monster, attack bot, etc
>then a theme is applied to all your units to make them more cohesive like fantasy, idols, grimdark, etc
>at the start of the match players roll off to choose between good guys and bad guys
>a scenario for each team is rolled in secret and terrain is set up
>after terrain is set up players reveal their scenarios to each other and set up
>match starts

So for an example, Player One brings a team of 5 girls (Leader, Tomboy, Rich, Foreigner, and Goof) while Player Two brings one girl (Tech Head) and 4 Robot Drones. They roll off and team One get chosen as Good Guys.

Scenario rolling happens and terrain is set up. Good Guys roll up Channel, so each player plops down 2 channel markers that the GG's have to interact with to win. Bad Guys roll up Heist. GG's place the loot marker within the directed parameters of the board, then BG's get to place their escape route marker where the loot needs to be moved for them to win.

Now both teams try to win their scenario while keeping the other player from winning in a specific timeframe.

Kingdom Death has an interesting randomized monster action system - uses a deck of cards of different actions it can take, which also is the thing's health pool.

Bumpu

It depends. Something like Malifaux would make sense, where everything is very cars game esque with a bunch if characters with unique rules, and perhaps some general mooks.

A malifaux style game would be cool. I am not sure how keen using cards would be, but the thought of objectives and groups composed of a few elites or a bunch of mooks sounds cool.

I am not implying that using playing cards is necessary. By card game esque I mean a big focus on individual and unique rules, along with perhaps tight synergy and teamwork. The game can use a spinner for randomization if need be.

It already exists.

The smallest you can make non-chibi minis without losing the CUTE is 54mm so we may be looking at a small skirmish game rather than a dinner table filled with little shits.

yes magical girl 40,000 by Alessio Cavatore