How come dwarf cities in fiction (Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, Might & Magic, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc...

How come dwarf cities in fiction (Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, Might & Magic, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.) always look like normal cities with distinct buildings set up inside huge caves? Wouldn't it be tremendously more efficient to build them as a series of tunnels and chambers of equivalent sizes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dykNYnmXlKI&list=LLiHwRCuP97koQwMUn6Pi8qA&index=61
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dwarves love shiny things, which leads me to believe it's not much of a hassle for them to just hollow buildings out inside of the massive caverns they've made mining for precious metals or gemstones.

Also, aesthetics.

Better airflow, and improved acoustics for all those drinking songs!

How do you think they started out? They just dug so many tunnels and chambers that they all overlapped and became open space.

It occurred to me too while I was playing TWW. Then I figured dwarf cities built like that would be impossible to set battles in.

If Dwarfs are one thing across all their incarnations, they're proud craftsmen. Hollowing out an entire cavern allows you to showcase more of your expert stonemasonry and metalworking at once.

Also the caves might just be there in the first place when they decide to set up shop.

Maybe it's like in The Soddit, and all the mountains in fantasyland are just naturally hollow.

The problem with digging tunnels is you're not just deleting rock, you have to actually do something with it. And if you're a race that loves working with stone, you're not gonna leave big piles of it outside your home. You're gonna build something with it.

> Lakes of lava
> No rails in sight
That's against DwOSHA guidelines, user.

The settlement battles enrage me when I play Dwarfs.

>High King! The Grobi scum are attacking us!
>Lets walk out onto this open field, even though it would be much safer to fight inside the mountains.
>But they outnumber use 10-1 my King!
>This is a "minor" settlement boy! We can't use our defences that would be imbalanced!
>u wot

A roof keeps heat in. If you just hollow out parts of the cave and inhabit that, you have to spend colossally more energy heating the place in winter and cooling it in the summer, and keeping places different temperatures if that's needed is way more expensive/difficult.

Anyone else just feel so comfy when they look at Dwarf cities?
The earthy colours and the "roof" over the entire cities just makes me feel so safe and warm when I look at them.

Underground houses, caves, etc, stay at roughly the same temperature year round. Dryer caves in Texas average 70F, but wetter caves can drop down to the 40s.

They would be great to set battles in if it happened in an engine not entirely build around massive amounts of open sky space for a top-down view.

I think my version of the game has some kind of weird bug. I've played for hundreds of hours and played the defender in Sigmar knows how many sieges during the campaign, but somehow I never get to actually be on the defensive side of a proper "siege map", with walls and towers and everything. If I attack a city, I play a siege battle, but if I'm defending in a siege it's a regular old field battle with the garrison forces. At first I thought there were just no defensive siege battles in the grand campaign (for whatever bizarre reason), but the internet tells me there are.

It's weird.

Because most people don't appreciate seeing a hallway and that's it.

The Dwarfs could also have dug into an underground cavern to make their city, since it takes a lot of workload away.

> It's not that dwarf live in mountains
> Digging their cities create the mountains

Only "Capital" settlements have walls automatically and the others in the region have no walls unless you build the highest defence building.

Which is pants on head retarded since Dwarves don't fight field battles when defending and the Empire would have been raped to death by Beastmen if they didn't have at least palisades to hold them back a bit.

No walls + not control over your garrison makes defending territories unreasonably tricky.
Especially with all the Underway and (not)Underway mechanics allowing armies to just teleport around.

I dread the combined map though, since we can conquer everywhere.
Sounds weird but I don't want factions settling in Karaks that aren't meant to.
In the current game I ally with the Empire and Brettonia since they leave me alone and I leave them alone but with the conquer anywhere bullshit they are gonna be getting in the way.

You probably always had an army outside of the city that got attacked and took the reinforcements from the city.

Because Dwarves like to have private property, and Dwarves like to flaunt said property. Just having a personal chamber tucked away in one corner of a cave won't cut it. They need other Dwarves to see their fancy manor, and be awed by how expensive it is.

The largest chambers with the most visibility are also the most desirable, such that only the wealthiest and most powerful Dwarves can afford to build in them. Everyone else has to slum it in the tunnel complexes, out of sight.

Dwarves and lava is like goats and hight. Their brains just doesn't recognize the threat.

I'm fairly sure that's an urban legend.

Because it looks SUPER FUCKING COOL YOU BEARDLESS FAGGOT

>Lord of the Rings
I don't remember that being in the book, actually. It's been years since I read it, though, so I could be wrong

Read the Ghostwalk RPG rulebook. The main dwarf city is just tunnels and homes carved into the rock around a giant tunnel leading to the literal door to hell.

So you can have a big impressive sweeping view of it.

>Lord of the Rings
>always look like normal cities with distinct buildings set up inside huge caves
In LotR, the dwarves turned natural caves and hollowed out mine shafts into halls and corridors. They had side rooms dug out from the side of these halls and accessed by huge bridges and stairways.

>look
This is the keyword. It's pretty hard to illustrate a city that's really just a series of tunnels and chambers. And in games, that tends to be fairly boring. But if you actually read books(Pratchett, Lord of the Rings, various D&D novels and supplements) you'll generally find the other kind of dwarf cities.

obviously roofs are kinda important underground

You don't want the people living above you to see in.

t. pleb

yeah, who cares about privacy, light control, keeping moisture out, structural stability or noise pollution concerns, all those things are for fags!

> Implying they made the caves.

The large chasms are natural formations.

Also living in tunnels would cause the air to stink, and Dwarfs already stink to begin with.

>underground caves
>we need roofs for privacy, light control, keeping moisture out, structural stability and noise pollution!
your rationalizations keep getting lamer

>Wouldn't it be tremendously more efficient to build them as a series of tunnels and chambers of equivalent sizes?
That's exactly how it is. What you're seeing are the larger caverns, because nobody likes seeing a storage room, or a corridor.

>he doesn't use the Custom Maps for Campaign mod
>he probably pirated the game

laughingdarkelves.jpg

Holy shit. I love this concept. 100% stealing it without any doubt.

Because almost all modern artists are hacks

youtube.com/watch?v=dykNYnmXlKI&list=LLiHwRCuP97koQwMUn6Pi8qA&index=61

I bought the game, I just don't use that mod since I know there have been problems with it.

Goes without saying that CA have gimped the Total War franchise and after Warhammer 3 they are going to flop.

Game has been wildly successful, user.

>Lord of the Rings
>_>

In LotR books, thats what the dwarf holds are. Great chambers and halls. The greatest being the pillared.

Yeah, personally I always picture dwarf cities* like that. A great city will probably have great pillared halls, dwarfing (AH!) real life cathedrals, that more or less are a combination of city square and monumental buildings, some have "facades" directly watching them.
Poorer apartememnts/workshop, so to speak, are simply caves more or less ordered like we would in a condo without windows, with perhaps some space "open" for use to other families. In some places the roof is higher and families don't have solid walls dividing them.
Interestingly, this means dwarves have a different approach to what is "home". It's more gradual, the "neighbourhood cave" that connects the families' apartaments/whatnot isn't the equivalent of our streets but neither to our homes. This puzzles surface dwellers a lot.

Picture realted, Tokyo storm drain .This might be the size of a "neighbourhood square" of a typical middle class dwarf "block". Imagine smaller caves giving to workshops/stables at the level of the "square" and perhaps the two immediatly higher, and stairs and terraces connecting walls punctated with dwarves's houses, temples, bars and less labor intensive shops. There might be a decent quanity of green, actually, or whatever might live underdark in the setting. The floor is more less used like our city squares, might host a pool (for drinking and decoration) It's generally half illuminated, with many smaller bioluminscent thing, reminding us of a medina at night, but I guess they might light it up more at "dawn".

The ratio is perhaps a quarter of the space "open".

*=actually generally I also like my dwarves to have settlements on the surface as well, often directly connected to the underground cties. They're not particulary strange (default is alpine shit, think Switzerland) nor too great as they're mostly seasonal and generally used for cattle and forestry or even they're simply farms, still some are at least great towns if not proper cites.