Does anyone on here play MTG Standard?

Does anyone on here play MTG Standard?

Just starting out and feel it's quite daunting - many cards seems really expensive.

Would anyone like to read a U/G/W deck I was thinking about? Hope it's not too newbish to ask.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-enigma-drake-ixalan/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ixalan-man-bitten-by-extremely-aggressive-fish/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ye-scallywag/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's a standard thread every once in a while.
Post yours, maybe we could give some advice.

Personally, I have a number of decks, all budget.
>UR Enigma Drake
>GW Majestic Myriarch
>UR Hour of Eternity

cool, just fyi I'm planning on proxying some cards

1x Exemplar of Strength
2x Channeler Initiate
1x God-Pharoah’s Faithful
1x Anointer Priest
2x Chief of the Foundry
1x Graven Abomination
2x Sunscourge Champion
2x Bastion Mastodon
2x Aetherspear Harvester
1x Rhonas the Indomitable (use cheap rhonas champion as replacement - or Kefnet)
2x Ramanup Hydra
2x Bitterbow Sharpshooters
1x Honored Hydra
1x Prowling Serpopard
2x Crested Sunmare

1x Hapatra’s Mark
2x Traveller’s Amulet
2x Unquenchable Thirst
2x Illusory Wrappings
2x Act of Heroism
1x Strategic Planning
1x Pull from Tomorrow
1x Meekstone
1x Hour of Revelation
3x Open into Wonder (cut?)
1x Hieroglyphic Illumination
1x Approach of the Second Sun

1x Ipnu Rivulet (Desert Island)
1x Cycle Islands (Desert of the Mindful)
1x Cycle Forest (Desert of the Indomitable)
1x Cycle Plains (Desert of the True)
3x G/W land (Sunpetal Grove) -
4x I/W land (Glacial Fortress) - pirate’s cutlass proxy
3 Island
5x Forest

feedback - probably just go W/G and research card draw for those colors?

One and two ofs generally aren't the best idea, since consistency is key to a good deck. You kinda just have a big pile of things. I'd pick a few cards and build around them, like Crested Sunmare, or whatever ekse appeals to you.

so its main weakness is consistency? OK... are we talking probabilities for creature mana curve? starting hand unplayability? or are there to many U spells?

speaking of, is there a deck builder online that allows you to test what a starting hand would look like?

op here, just found one thanks

TappedOut allows you to make a list, and has a starting hand tester. You can also link it so we can see all your cards easily.

Also, you need more than 19 lands. Maybe 23 or so.

Don't play Standard, it's very expensive. You won't be able to afford it. You'd have to change your deck every 6 months and the most expensive cards you bought won't be worth much after the format rotates. Play modern or pauper.

We managed to bully the standard shitters out of this board. You can have fun with EDH/legacy/modern threads if you want instead.

I'm converting mardu gearhulk reanimator into kaladesh mythics.gpg I've had so many long, grindy games against things like superfriends because I wasn't running god pharaoh's gift so nothing had haste. We had one game 1 that went to turns and ended in a 0:0 tie. I was one card from deck out but could not lose because said card was ever after.
Originally I was running prized amalgams and haunted deads and such, but both with rotation and my sub-optimal games it needs to go. I can't wait for hasty 6/6 angel of inventions with flying, lifelink, and vigilance and gearhulks that can actually attack and not get instantly removed.

I'm still scared as shit though. Spell pierce wrecks me because I want to be casting refurbish on T4 and graveyard hate is now actually coming back.

Anyone have any thoughts on this deck? I'm thinking of replacing 2x Baral with 2x Tilonalli's Skinshifter.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-enigma-drake-ixalan/
FUCK

>standard is too expensive
>play modern

o i am laffin

Yeah it's a typo, there should be 20.

I'm cutting an an open into wonder for an extra channeler initiate. Still needs a lot of work.

What should I put in a Vraska deck, also why are there no green pirates?

I'd cut all the blue. And most of the other stuff too.

A modern decks is more expensive, but lasts longer. You don't need to change all the cards. A standard deck becomes useless after one gaming season.

>tfw I like to play lots of different decks and you can't do that in modern without dropping a couple grand

So two years for $200

Or maybe five years, the whole time you spend praying wizards doesn't ban and ruin your deck for $2,000

Hmmmmm

There are a lot of decks in modern with different prices.

and all of them are utter dogshit that get eaten up and spit out by death's fucking shadow, wow, great format, totally not solved yet, LUL

Still, I'd rather have 5 $60 standard decks that can compete with others than 1 $300 deck that can hardly stand up to the high-tiers.

MonoU flyers, Y/N?

Man, I still don't know why MtG is fucking expensive in Burgerland and here in Europoor are pretty affordable. Also it depends when do you buy your decks, I build RG energy at the beginning of Kaladesh and it was only 20€

Depends on what you're running, really. Without the Spirebluffs, switching Baral for Skinshifter, and not including sideboard, my Enigma Drake deck posted above goes for less than $15 and is bretty guud.

You can build a cheap deck for $20 in America too but it wont winany real tournaments

Why the FUCK is everyone playing the same garbage UB Flyers deck online? It's not good, it's just fucking annoying to play against.

On another note, what decks have you guys been having success with? I've been playing a UG merfolk brew that's mediocre but pretty fun to play. Been having the most success with UW Sunrise. Cut the old removal and slotted in 3 cloudblazer, 2 torrential gearhulks, opts, and a survey the wreckage. Survey's been doing pretty well, it stops a lot of big shit you can't deal with otherwise, and you can flash it back with gearhulk. Great for dealing with carnage tyrant which i can't deal with otherwise.

>You'd have to change your deck every 6 months

That's a laugh, I ended up having to change my deck every TWO months this year just to keep up with all the banning and rapid meta changes from new sets. And I was trying to stay budget!

Woah there, meekstone is not modern legal.

Just buy a playset of mox opals. I have like 5 decks built off the back of those and some glimmervoids.

Is there a word for effects like Ixalan's Binding and Gideon's Intervention? Both of them are hilarious and I actually feel like Binding is a great way to deal with Ripjaw Raptor

>Playing standard
>not playing commander

>playing commander
>not playing legacy

Rules changed
Sets drop only once a year now

Meekstone is not Standard legal. Though it had a Masterpiece printing, Masterpieces do not count for that.

Like, they wouldn't reprint Strip Mine into Standard. Or Counterspell, or Opposition, or Force of Will, or Sol Ring.

I recommend tappedout.net
It allows you to playtest a bit, as well as giving statistics on what your mana curve and colors look like.

What does your Merfolk deck look like? I've been trying to build it too, trying to work out what's good in the deck and what sucks. Not having that much success.

Here's mine for reference.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ixalan-man-bitten-by-extremely-aggressive-fish/

The main goal when deckbuilding is to figure out what the best cards in your deck are, then to play as many of those cards as possible. The secondary goal is to cut the worst cards in your deck in favor of these cards.

For example, say you're building a black-green deck that puts +1/+1 counters on its creatures to win. You find out that you really want Winding Constrictor on the field all the time, so you play 4 of those. You also figure out that Verduous Gearhulk and Walking Ballista are really good, so you also want to play 4 of those. To make room for the 4 copies of these great cards, you cut Implement of Ferocity, which isn't doing as much for you. This process of testing, adding, and cutting goes on until your deck is as refined as possible.

People are telling you your consistency is off because you haven't really figured out what your best cards are yet. You're playing everything as a 1-of, when some of these cards should be cut and some should be played as much as you can. (BTW, this is why a lot of people netdeck- it allows them to take an already-refined deck and refine it even further until it's the best version possible.)

Also, as other people have said, Meekstone isn't modern legal, although it would be pretty spicy in that deck.

Hope this helped.

I've been through a few iterations so far. The one that I've kinda seen a bit online uses Rishkar and Verdurous gearhulk and goes down a more midrange/counters route. I worked one a build that focused on river sneak and went more aggro. I also worked on a BG counters build to abuse mimic and constrictor, which was OK. not sure if it's amazing. shell looked similar to the midrange builds.
The current build I'm running is just straight fucking aggro and it's caused quite a bit of salt. I run the prowess naga, blossoming defense, 3 Appeal//Authority, opt, and unsummons, and just try to abuse deeproot and rush them the fuck down. The naga having afflict has won me a few games it shouldnt have and it's pretty nutty if you draw well

Do you have a list?

yeah yeah I know it's a screenshot
Honestly it's probably not that great of a deck, it's not fast enough to recover from a wipe or sweltering suns, but provided they dont have that you just win, and it causes a lot of salt

New player here. Thinking of bringing this to FNM. Its all basically what i opened from four booster boxes of Kaladesh and Aether Revolt, yes I really liked that set more then the weird Egypt set. I also went to Ixalan prerelease so i have a few cards from that too.
20 Mountains
2 Lightning Strike
4 Shock
4 Bomat Courier
4 Brazen Scourge
4 Built to Smash
4 Inventors Apprentice
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Combustible Gearhulk
4 Fleetwheel Cruiser
1 Arcbound Ravager
1 Mana Crypt
4 Lathnu Hellions
2 Scrapper Champion

I think i have a good amount of artifacts to turn the Inventors Apprentice on. Built to Smash is very good with the Artifact creatures too.

That deck won't be able to enter anything from FNM

Arcbound Ravager and Mana Crypt aren't Standard legal and Crypt isn't Modern legal

Are you sure? I checked the banlist for Standard and it didnt have those cards on it.

They aren't banned, they're from sets not in standard.

Those cards are from former sets and are the "lottery cards" of Kaladesh. They got reprinted but aren't standard legal.

The Invocations, Masterpieces, and Expeditions and are not considered as legal in Standard unless they have been printed as normal cards in any Standard-legal block.

Thats weird. I opened them from Kaladesh packs. I asked the store owner about them and he just said they were super rare but i didnt want to sell them to him. That really sucks though the Mana Crypt was the best card in my deck even if it damaged me sometimes. I dropped three Bomat Couriers turn one with it.

Keep them still, they're worth major major money. Arcbound Ravager can't be played in Standard but is the core of one of the best decks in Modern. Mana Crypt can't be played in Modern or Standard but is one of the best cards in Commander, Vintage, and Legacy.

So they might not see immediate use for you right now if you want to enter FNM but you have two good cards for when you branch out to other formats.

>pulling 2 masterpieces
I call bullshit

Im not going to sell it. Ill just keep both of them. I like the art on them and the border. The Arcbound and the Mana Crypt even worked together since I could sacrifice the Mana Crypt if i was getting low on health. Also playing a turn 2 Chandra is great.

Not him but he said he opened them from four booster boxes so more than likely you'd hit two

It was four Booster Boxes of Kaladesh and like 12 packs of Aether Revolt. Thats a lot of cards. I have so many stuffed in my box.

Small thing, but Mana Crypt is banned in Legacy.

I'm just getting into Standard, coming from ~6 months of EDH at Uni, having played competitive YGO for like 3 years. I want to make a Revel In Riches deck (as good as it can, even if it's not actually going to win my LCS or whatever). What other colors do I splash? Do I go White/Black for Annointed Procession? Or maybe Red for the aggro/Captain Lannery? Or Blue for those draw/bounce spells that make Treaures? I really don't know anything about making a regular MTG deck.

If you're running treasure tokens, you don't even really need to splash in white for the Anointed procession. Just sac one of the treasures.

Hello, long time Modern player here. My LGS now does Standard FNM instead of Modern so I need to play this.

Is RG Dinos a viable strategy?

W dinos are generally better than the green, but green has our good friend hexproof uncounterable

Go U/B panharmonicon. Might also want to use mechanized production.

Green also has ripjaw raptor and g/r has regisaur.

Buy 1 deck that you really want to play at FNM and such and just proxy every other deck and play with friends or randoms at stores.

Rules question:

I have Edifice of Authority and my opponent has a creature and a vehicle.

The opponent declares the end of the first main phase, passing priority to me- I accept and pass.

The opponent crews their vehicle at the beginning of their declare attackers step-

I understand that I cannot use the Edifice on the vehicle as it is NOT a creature until it is crewed. If priority is passed to me when they activate the Crew activated ability and I let it resolve, is there an opportunity for me to target the vehicle when it becomes a creatures before they declare an attack with it, or does priority not come back to me until after they declare attackers?

Thank you in advance.

Can I use Sirens Ruse to exile an opponents card, keep it exiled, do some other stuff and then resolve the rest of the card?

Marionette master wins with 5 treasures, 3 if you have panharmonicon.

You have to resolve Sirens Ruse before you can play any other cards or abilities once it starts resolving. If by "other stuff" you means instants and activated abilities, those either have to be played before, in response to, or after Sirens Ruse or any other triggered effects that hit the stack due to it being played.

The only action a player can do DURING the declare attackers step is declare attackers, you can't crew vehicles. Your opponent cheated.

With opponents card, do you mean a card that the opponent controls or a card that you've stolen from the opponent?

Cant you cast instants during combat too?

Between steps, not while declaring attackers.

I only started playing Standard because I loved the Mono-Black Zombie deck. I still have it for casual, but what should I build now that it's dead.

So the latest point they have to crew their vehicle is at the end of the "Beginning of combat" step?

In which case, priority is passed to me after the crew ability resolves so I could use activated abilities/instants before the declare attackers step, right?

What would be a good deck using Ixalan set relying on treasure generation?

>playing Cuckmander
the smelliest, loudest, most obnoxious players in the store are ALWAYS EDH/Commander players, every time.

yes.

Marionette master.

Here's how to play standard:
>Sell your standard cards; or trade them for eternal staples
>Buy eternal cards
>Play eternal
You're welcome =^) But seriously, you'll save more money in the long run this way.

am I a sucker if I buy into MTGO? I don't have enough time to play a LGS regularly and I have a fair amount of disposable income.

This a million times
They're also terrible at Magic. Its absolutely hilarious to watch the Commander players at prerelease try to compete as they always punt and have no concept of good plays. Thats the reason they play Commander, because the format is so random and unskilled that anyone can win at it.

That wouldn't work at all those cards are banned in standard you dingus

Going to start playing Magic guys
I hear that Temur energy is the go to deck now
is it true?

Also, if i were to get a fat pack, which set would you recommend?

The new set is officially releasing in 1 day and we have no idea what the meta is going to look like, though temur energy will likely still be pretty good

>you'd have to change your deck every six months
>not buying MONO-PIRATES and playing that for the next two years

>STILL having trouble with DS
Death's Shadow is just another fast modern deck that loses to the same things every other fast modern deck loses to.

So i just returned from a 2HG pre-release and i pulled this fat granny out of my first pack.
Here's what i came up with: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ye-scallywag/ pls no bully

That Hour of Eternity lists sounds like fun, you have a decklist handy?

Any idea what control decks will survive rotation? I'd like to finally start playing standard but have no idea what to invest in now.

I'm going to build grixis janky treasure to play with my kitchen table friends and to get stomped at my LGS

If I can generate a lot of them 1 of Vraska should be ok even without green sources, right?

>Start playing Standard now
>after wizards got rid of player rewards, which gave you cards if you attended a certain number of events regardless if you won or loss
>after wizards got rid of Friday Night Magic Promos, which gave you premium cards if you attended FNM

Why. Why are you all getting into Magic now. They've literally shaved away all benefits of attending FNM. Are you all stupid? Are you all just trolling? What is wrong with all of you?

Rotation will be every 2 years starting with Ixalan and everyone wants to play with dinos and pirates

I want to play with people that can at least read the cards they play, which I can't really do at kitchen table

Standard decks cost like 100 bucks now

Sultai,Temur or UG Merfolk!?

Here is my current UG list.

NEVER PLAY STANDARD IT IS A TRAP TO GET NEW PLAYERS TO KEEP BUYING THE LATEST CARDS THAT WILL ALL DROP IN VALUE IN TWO MONTHS

As opposed to buying a landbase for eternal formats

You are just mad because Daddy Wizards loves standard more than you

Rotation is annual. Sets are legal for approximately 2 years.

buy $2 duals from china and double sleeve your deck if you want to get into legacy
same for respective modern staples but it isn't necessary

otherwise just play limited and buy cheap but effective standard cards when they are furthest from rotation and slowly build up your collection (also limited will teach you how to actually play magic)

fuck wizards, fuck scjews and the secondary market
buying packs/putting money into standard cards is just throwing it into the garbage, might as well get drafts out of them

>spend 100$ to get the deck running and then 20 or less every 3-6 months to get it updated
VS
>spend 500$ and then 100$ every 6-8 months when the meta changes and your deck is suddenly shitted on by everyone
Really gets the noggin joggin

well I'd never advise someone get into the shitshow that is modern, assuming that is what you're referring to

but even in that example the difference is that your $100 standard deck will be worth $10 in a year while your $500 modern deck will be worth $500 (realistically more, given the laughably rampant inflation in the secondary market).

Sure but if you don't want to spend 500$ on cardboard with pretty pictures printed on i don't think the comparison holds up, also it's a whole different playing experience, standard feels always pretty fresh and brewer friendly while modern always feels stale and if you try to do something outside of the well affirmed archetypes you get stomped, hell sometimes even while playing your favorite archetype you get shitted on pretty hard.
I don't get it if you're not advising to get into modern yet you don't advise to get into standard either, what are you advising to get into? Legacy and Vintage are even moe pushed than modern as far as prices go, EDH is just a completely different game that happens to use the same cards and pauper is ok but in the end you're playing legacy-lite and the paper pauper player base is really small.

>ill be worth $500 (realistically more, given the laughably rampant inflation in the secondary market).
you peopel should stop randomly spout that. Yes prices mostly don't change too much in modern, but they are not set in rock and there is almost no inflation. Good cards cost a lot and bad cards cost less. actually one could say that the prices went slightly down in general from khans days. most importantly cards become cheaper as they are shiftedout of the meta(goyf lost like 50 dollars from khans days), or bans happen(remand went form 10--15 to 5 , inkmoth almost halved). Or mroe simply with reprints. Of course it's not even in the same league as standardin terms of value retention, but people talk about it like it's basically free to play modern and you will be guaranteed your money back.