Mega Engineering and Clarketech thread

Mega Engineering and Clarketech thread.
The best sort of hard-ish sci fi, when nigh immortal posthumans ply the local cluster in light huggers and planck temp rockets, and Dyson swarm polities are bridged by highways of lasers to bring luminous wind to the sails of starships.

Post megastructure pics and adventure ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topopolis
orionsarm.com/eg-article/48545a0f6352a
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I always liked the idea of a dyson tube. Not sure if thats what theyre called, but its just like a normal ringworld thats wide enough to wrap all the way around the habzone of a star and connect to itself.

Its cool because itd simulate gravity by spinning like a normal ringworld, but since its in a circle instead of a line its like a wet noodle looped around and spinning through itself kinda.

Its possible because at that scale the inside and outside of the loop are only torquing the whole thing by an ich or two accross the kilometers tall it is

I like it because it goes beyond our small scale understanding of building and touches on macroscopic construction phenomena, like how glaciers are solid ice but they flow like jelly and stuff. Its a design that doesnt work in computers, or on any scale we can build now, but would irl just because if the sheer size.

Topopolis is the term you are looking for.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topopolis

Gotta have the Accelerated World. This has been my spaceship of choice since I first saw it, I can actually imagine enjoying cruising around the galaxy without FTL in something like this.

I'm imagining its like a giant ramjet with some kind of magnetic or gravity field to draw in, accelerate, and ignite interstellar hydrogen.

Has anyone come up with a good story for this? it seems like the sort of pointless shit humans might actually do in a couple centuries

>Flying an ornithopter around the multi-planet sized ship meant for interstellar trips
>Finding new geographic sights from simulated tectonics and volcanism and new societies that cropped up around them
>Spreading the word of the Captain as the ship slows to pass a star system so that interested passengers can visit the new world before we speed on by

are arcologies too small to be welcome?

It looks so small, must be lots of mass below those houses otherwise they would have high angular velocity to produce needed gravity, making it difficult to move from the center "gravity-less" area, to the area with gravity. It would probably crush your skull as you moved between the relative angular velocities. The delta-V proportionality to radial position would be crushing.

Could the moon really be a white dwarf Dyson sphere!?!?

This thread is funny because FTL communications aren't possible so interstellar anything is hard to imagine I'm hard science fiction

If it isn't now it will be in a millennium
If lifetimes are extended far enough lightspeed lag becomes irrelevant, and you can just wait for the mail ship to arrive.

Don't we already have a Dyson swarm called the ort cloud

How many faces should the DS have? Dodecahedron? Tetrakaidecahedron? Cube?

not really... in that picture, each one of those dots is like equal to the size if the solar system to the outer planets...

How do we know?

No, it doesn't collect the energy of the sun in any usable way, and in any case its not dense enough to qualify.
it should be a thick cloud of large O'neill/McKendree cylinders bridged by topopolis tubes. Solid surfaces are inefficient.

Telescopes

Liquid surfaces? Held in place with EMF

What sorts of megastructures could be built around a black hole?

Also, Issac Arthur's youtube channel is a great source for this stuff

Maybe dark matter is the real Oort Cloud and your telescope is gay

What materials can convert those gamma rays to useful energy?

What I meant was solid plates with spans many times greater than the sun's circumference. The Habitats that make up the swarm ought to be solid.

Actually, bridging them with some kind of liquid corridor or medium could be pretty interesting. It would probably be pretty effective for collecting heat and would allow the constituent parts of the swarm to move within the structure.
Imagine sailing between habitats on endless sheet ocean bridges projected by EMF between habitats.

Presumably whatever theoretical metamaterial you can reflect them with.
Maybe dark matter will fuck your mom while the Oort cloud is populated with pirates that also fuck copies of your mom

user I can see it now, and it's beautiful

what stellar engines would have the best acceleration and deceleration? So far the examples I can think of are star pumped solar sail ships, Shkadov thrusters, and weird ringworld ramjets like What other options for mega ships would there be, and what are their relative merits?

fi

i was gonna say that the water would freeze but I forgot about the giant fission reaction going on relatively nearby

Could you make a shkadov thruster equivalent around a black hole? Were it to succeed would it have any benefits over a regular shkadov thruster?

I love the idea of intergalactic "ships" that resemble constellations, driven by bundles of Shkadov thrusters and hosting numerous fully developed Dyson swarms.

No ships can withstand the impact of hitting even a pebble or grain of sand at relativistic speed. So the answer is none of them.

So the ship has to be very hot then, that's not unfathomable. Plenty of juice available from the power source.

shkadov thrusters are mostly empty space, the ramjet thing seems to draw in most of the material in front of it to burn, and Solar sail ships would be mostly used in interstellar space where there is very little to hit.

I bet you also prattle about RKVs making all sentient life preemptive shut-ins, and see no conflict between this and your previous statement.

Wavelength and amplitude are two very different things. I don't know that any substance in the universe other than another black hole could absorb the energetic gamma rays emitted from the poles. You could have a Dyson sphere of black hole generators around the black hole.

Would it be possible to use it to charge kugelblitz black holes for shipment elsewhere?

I would think that if you could generate a black hole, you could then use the black hole to generate electricity. like an electric generator creates electricity, and is the same as a motor in reverse.

No I'm not the relativistic cannon faggot. I like these megastracture threads though.

If we took the mass and average density of the earth and assumed it was all useful super strong building material - would we have enough mass to create a mega structure? How big would it be assuming density decreases by 10? By 100? How strong is this ubiquitous super material?

I've always liked megastructures. Giant fortresses the size of mountain ranges, with towers all around them to fend off attackers. Millions of troops inside, thousands of ships, the nerve center of a military operation for hundreds of thousands of kilometers around. Waging war against a city built into a huge tree that stood miles tall. Completely impractical and autistic but it was fun while it lasted....

>math

>you try to run a high fantasy game on a ringworld created by the gods
>players are so fucking pleb they think the concept started with Halo
>remind them many times it's refered to as an Ark in the setting and they still call it a Halo IC
I hate me group.

>autism is fun
>autism is not a permanent affliction

The irony of that anime is the same as War of the Worlds. Don't build systems around biological systems and then forget how they work/die/change. Of course the contagion would come. Of course using the blood of aliens as food and fuel is retarded.

You could generate a black hole which would bend time and space. This issue of relativistic impacts during near FTL has been solved in theory, it would just take more energy than what exists in the estimated universe. With our black hole Dyson spheres going into the future (more or less) to supply us that energy we can violate conservation of energy briefly for periods of travel. Something somewhere else randomly in the universe would blow up, which would make the whole thing pretty ironic.

I mean, it is. But there are some benefits to autism. Kinda like cancer is great to losing weight.

Isn't there some gravity manipulation structures? I sort of remember them, and that's not much of a stretch considering the GBE exists.

Meant for

Nah, they're welcome.

There is. The City has gravity and reality creation/manipulation machinery to keep it together. Killy winds up in a 'gravity furnace' located inside a pocket universe/alternate universe at one point, and has to blast the gravity furnace to get out. It also answers how the hell the City can access so much mass -- they can just mine out pocket universes and alternate universes for extra construction material.

>384 yottawatts
What would you even do with all that?

Literal transmutation, as well as launching ships to colonize every star in the sky, and moving your star to the optimum place to store mass for the end of time.

cool

>780km
>it will take 800 hours

why don't they just walk then

FUCKING VIKINGS ALWAYS GET TO PLACES FIRST FUCK

its an elevator shaft

>what is quantum entanglement

no slower than lightspeed and ineffective for transmitting data

Would a big enough Dyson sphere become a giant faraday cage?

Wormholes?
orionsarm.com/eg-article/48545a0f6352a