/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General

'I've never made one of these' edition

never saw the old one so I made one

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Favourite guild and why? (Lame question)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ramos-rainbow-road/
reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/5ctflo/i_made_15_20_budget_deck_lists/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gonna kick it off and say Simic is my favourite since you can tow the line between control combos and creatures all at the same time, also body horror is dope

Also gonna post my Ramos' deck in hopes of getting some tips, needs fetches to activate the scroll rack but this is a less updated list as I now have fetches, going for a dragon theme with alot of alt win cons, thoughts?

full retard tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ramos-rainbow-road/

So, simic is your favorite because its the best color combination? That seems a bit bland.

Orzhov, really like the corrupted church aesthetic and enslaving the dead, also Teysa is my mtg waifu since her conception. Also i like the life drain mechanics and the political situations i get into with cards like Orzhov Advokist

Boros because anything less is Baby-tier

Haha fair enough, I'm an optimizer at heart so I can't run away but I can into the game at RtR and they were always my favourite guild and my first EDH deck was this janky vorel counters deck so there are some memories.

Out of the white guilds I'm big on azorius. Wanna breath? pay the toll.

Playing a red Eldrazi deck with kiki as the commander. It's so fun, boys.

BANE? of Bala Ged is such an asshole

Any recommendations for Sunforger?

Izzet sperg reporting in

I was really hoping you'd died if your cancer.

>Favourite guild and why? (Lame question)
I have to pick a guild? Can't back the Gateless? House Dimir, then, at least they're out to end all these other chucklefucks which is the closest thing to a noble cause.

>Thread question

Simic. Started playing in Innistrad, then when RtR came out I made my first EDH deck with Zegana. It's changed over the years (one might say evolved, even), but I've still got it.

Alright, so a new deck shows up in your meta that needs to be addressed. Generally speaking, how many cards do you put in to deal with it to ensure you have answers?

Assuming others in your group will do nothing.

Also, Previous thread:

Depends on what other colors your splashing.

Boris Charm is a must, if you are control I'd recommend Oblation and Chaos Warp, if your looking for removal swords/ path are both good enough targets when you need it.

The new instant from the cmdr decks "Teferi's Protection" I think is what it's called.

Once you start adding other colors that's when sunforger gets really fun.

>tfw Teysa will lose her boob window when we ReReturn to Ravnica.

Fucking SJWs man

Mistveil + Tithe so you can recur it all
I use Oblation on my stuff more than half the time just for some draw
Comeuppance/Hallowed Moonlight and Burnout are great 'GOTCHA' cards
Equal Treatment can fuck with combat math while also drawing a card
Depending on your meta Orim's Chant can also be useful

The most janky/fun inclusions would be Final Fortune, Angel's Grace, Glorious End, Pull From Eternity with a Sundial of the Infinite

anyone?

It depends on how powerful the deck is. When I started playing EDH my group was fairly equal in power level, until Meren arrived. I included relic of progenitus, bojuka bog and tormod's crypt, which worked well for me. It also depends on your deck, since if you're heavy on tutors you might need only one of those silver bullets.

hmm... I don't actually play her right now. Maybe I should?

I underestimated how strong Jitte is, by a lot.

>got one in FTV Lore
>slapped it in my Mirri deck yesterday for shits and gjggles
>playing 1v1 at a friend's
>hit a tutor, I've already got Mirri with battle mastery and rancor, decide to snag the Jitte
>Buddy immediately gets blown the fuck out
>next game I tutor it again
>why can't I hold all this life gain?
>oceans of dudes melt before me
>theros Gods ain't got nothing on me as I remove them through indestructible
>swinging so hard and so fast there is no hope of stopping me
I think I'm in love. I'm pretty sure nothing is as strong, but what are some comparably powered equipment I can snag?

Need at least 2 more lands, average cmc of 4.6 and 36 lands does not go together.

Were you able to recur Tormod's or one time was enough? As I am also facing a deck that's big on abusing the GY and I'm not sure how many answers to pack.

3-6 depending if it's hyper linear or just relying on something broken that I already have answers for. Playing Blue and artifacts, I don't really fear most decks because I'm the one with answers to everything.

I'd say Batterskull, but that's a bit of an antisynergy with Mirri.

Comparable to jitte? Only the swords, I think.

Hmm, that's about what I have now along with several tutors and a bit of recursion. Might be overkill now that I think about it. Shouldn't have to exile all creatures/GY more than once or twice to really break it's back.

Depends on what youre playing, what hes playing etc

Jitte is the best piece of equipment ever printed.

>doesn't need to damage a player to create counters
>counters remain even if the equipped creature dies
>the fucking thing kills creatures

Recurring Tormod's could work wonders, but if your opponent is stupid enough to play Buried Alive and throw Gary, Fleshbag Marauder and Kokusho in his GY in one swoop, you won't need to.
The best GY removals are Bojuka Bog and Rakdos Charm, since it's an instant.

What am I missing here? Why is batterskull so strong compared to quietus Spike or worldslayer?

He tends to wait to use one gigantic spell to recur everything at once.

It makes its own creature. It can bounce itself to avoid removal. A 4/4 lifelink vigilance is stronger than it appears on paper. Also, the token is black and dodges some removal.

Okay I get it. I ran Bonehoard and Lashwrithe in a Korlash deck and they always put in work, particularly Lashwrithe.

That's what I figured, it was way too strong to have things at a comparable power level.

To shift gears, what are the best ways in green and white to prevent my fancy equipment from getting nuked?

so I cant play this unless im red right?

Yes and no. I run a monowhite version, but yes your deck needs to be either red, white or both with a way to generate white mana.

Heroic Intervention ain't fancy, but it works, and makes boardwiping faggots cry salty tears.

DFCs have the colour ID of both sides so you cant play it unless you're Boros or Boros+ tricolour.

Its the same way Westvale abbey is B even though front side is a land.

So for a mono blue deck, how many counterspells is the right amount?

all of them

In Talrand, 30.

favorite when it comes to gameplay is Azorius, but for style and flavor I like the Izzet

UW just has the draw-go gameplan I really enjoy while Izzet has the lightning magic that I think is the coolest in a fantasy setting which is mixed in with their own technology and I think its really cool when technology gets mixed in with magic but doesnt end up as sci-fi trash

There's many cards whose presence I question in that deck. You need to decide whether you want to go dragon tribal or multicolour galore. For dragon tribal, you're better off having Ur Dragon as the general since it makes your dragons hella cheaper.

As for the cards I'd cut without thinking twice
>Dragonlord Kolaghan
Why?
>Spellbound Dragon
It's generally weak
>Zirilian of the Claw
Sounds good in paper, actually not too great when you realise you don't have great ETBs to abuse.
>Temur Charm
Nah.
>Untaidake
Why? You want coloured mana. This land is bad in pretty much every aspect. Ancient Tomb at least gets a pass because it's a great land overall, but still not idea for this deck.
>Burgeoning
You need more draw to justify this
>City of Solitude
Mostly useless, better to run Grand Abolisher
>Mirror of the Forebears
You have too many legendaries, you will almost never want to activate it

There's a couple others I don't really think are what you want, but these are the worst cards in your pool. I'd work on lowering your costs a bit, too, and maybe even get cost reduction effects like Urza's Incubator if you have it stay a dragon tribal. Also, you're forgetting City of Brass!

Counters are overrated. Prioritize cheap ones and conditionless ones over all others, but nimble obstructionist and spiketail hatchling are pretty spicy.

Which commander gives the most kekles per shekel? Asking as a poor college student.

Clearly Gaddock Teeg, or Angus Mackenzie. Perhaps Xiao Dun is a good choice too.

Is there a Simic goodstuff list I can use to pick from? Don't really want another narrow focused deck that just controls or just ramps and swings a Voltron fucker into the end zone

No. There is no such thing anywhere particularly not on EDHrec.

All very good choices for the budget oriented player.

Those are often commander specific, focusing on the synergy they bring.

Well the ratio of chuckles to clams is significantly higher for those guys than other commanders.

Thank you both, I was thinking similar things, might lean heavier to the multicolored side and add a few more lands, cheers.

>mirror of the forebears
>laughing spirit dragons in the distance
Gotta get in those kukosho and keiga decks soon

I only ask because I finished my sydri deck last month, and now I'm trying to find a new project.

Oh also, any suggestions for replacements, mirror and charm are just gonna be rainbow lands (city of brass+others) untaidake will be a basic of some fort and I see the grand abolisher callout but any suggestions for the dragons and alike?

I still struggle between the standard 3 cost Cancels that can hit everything vs the cheaper ones that only stop instants or something. In some cases I'm tapped out or just one shy of countering but in others I can and have held multiple ones with conditions and they're dead cards.

It isn't. It's just because it comes with the token, so you don't have to pay equips to get value of it

Oh, right, forgot.

Before I suggest anything, I want to be sure - you want to go full multicolour or dragons?

I love that dinosaurs are already expensive as hell. Or the few good ones are anyway. 20 dollars for just one of a fresh as fuck card for a jank deck Pains me.

Don't buy any dinos yet, my dude. This is hype season, soon it'll all die off a bit.

>alot of low cmc dinos are really good
Not sure how to feel about this tribe

I think full multicolor because that has more shenanigans, but im not looking for infinites or anythings just a fun deck that can win a few games in different ways

>waifu since conception
That's gross my man

If you aren't running blue then lapse of certainty/mana tithe are lulzy as fuck. Nothing like walking into the shop and shutting down the tryhard's combo with non-blue counters.

Edric Flying Men
Zada wtf is happening
the rest from this list
reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/5ctflo/i_made_15_20_budget_deck_lists/

Give it a month. They're only that high because they haven't been opened.

>tfw the most expensive Mythic in the set is literally just an efficent big body with a couple keywords

Xenagod, it's a damage doubler and haste outlet on a indestructible stick. Zegana is nice too since most of your deck is cheap.

Asked this in the last thread but will Ripjaw Raptor be good card draw for green? A 4/5 for 4 already seems great.

Zada clocks in at roughly 209.45 Kek/Shk

UG goodstuff is literally draw, ramp and value with the ability to combo off randomly.

Holy shit you thought the same thing? Somebody was selling this for 30$ in a local trade group, the fuck.

Do you have a reliable way to ping it? If yes than go ahead, if no don't bother

That's easy. Staff of nin. Gives you a card on your upkeep and pings every turn.

You can run it as monowhite, but you can't run it as monored. Your deck will have a Boros identity either way, like you could run Oloro as monoblack.

Would replacing Acidic Slime with Walking Ballista in Marath be a bad idea? I've already got a ton of other removal for artifacts, enchantments, lands, etc and I figure Ballista is a good thing to dump infinite mana into and is easily tutorable with Worldly/Enlightened/Fauna Shaman.

Evaluate the cards in a vacuum. For example disdainful stroke is arguably better than counterspell because it's easier to cast, and you probably want to counter big things. Ones that target niche cards are only good if they specifically counter your deck weakeness or play to their strengths. Essence scatter is strong if you want to control the board, but against an opponent playing spellslinger or storm it's useless.

I like Exclude and spells that cantrip, as well as things like Desertion and Counterlash that just shit on people if you can get the mana. I'd skip things that have a payable cost unless they're like forcespike or daze in so far as they're cheap and surprising. Summary dismissal is also very strong.

Apparently standard babbies value being uncounterable, trample and switched P/T 29.5$
Really makes you think

Now why not? Can't I just use any colour generating rocks with only mountains for the exact same thing?

I'm interested. Tell me more.

>Do you have a reliable way to ping it?

Does Marath count since he can ping? Or should he remain in my command zone until I can combo off?

I mean its not a bad card but doesnt seem spicy to me that's all, feels like a pushed rare at best.

That makes sense. I'll have to think back on our previous games and see exactly what needs to be countered. I have a lot of removal so it may not be necessary to use more expensive ones to stop creatures that will be gone soon anyhow.

It's a uncounterable trampler with above curve stats that only dies to edicts and wrath variants in a low power format, the thing is the king of the hill in standard.

>Thread Question
Orzhov, because nothing in this world can be said to be certain except death and taxes.

Yo! I need removal/ramp/counterspells/utilityspells thata re stappled to creatures for BUG Sidisi!
Currently I keep whiffing on the self mill and it is painful. My whole deck needs an overhaul actually but am too lazy for tapped out.

Your Treasure Mage has successfully resolved.
What do you get?

Zada + chaining combat tricks that cantrip like pic related + a decent amount of gobbo tokens = you draw a fuckload and smash faces for a fucklot. Add rituals, cards that give you tokens when creatures die, and for maximum keks stuff like Fiery Gambit, Kari Zehv Expertise and Heat Shimmer

>Favourite guild and why?
definitely golgari, i just love graveyard shit. second choice would probably be simic

Mycosynth Lattice to set up for my land destruction combo.

How are the Partner commanders?

I've only ever played Precons since I'm a brainlet, but looking at the list of Commanders on Magiccards, I really like the idea of running a Ludevice + Vial Smasher or Kydele + ? deck.

too strong, partners never going to happen again

I gotta say that I didn't think the post through. Either way, she's a Boros commander, so you can also build is as either of the mono colours

they basically just let you play with whatever colors you want. some of them have decent effects like vail smasher or kydele

Mass removal is hard to find in monoblue. You can bounce things but you'll need nev's disk to really hold the fort down. Pongify that 1U exile manifest spell, and rapid hybridization are pretty good but being able to clear problematic artifacts/enchantments is a little harder.

I like Desertion because you save it until someone casts something off colour that fits your strategy. I once snagged a dragon mage with it in my lazav deck and it was beautiful.

Vial smasher was so good that it got banned, if that tells you anything.

I think chaos warp, return to dust, Boros Charm, and most recently Teferi's Protection are Sunforger staples for me.

Swords/Path, Wild Ricochete, Shattering Pulse, Grab the Reins (you can still pay entwine and buyback costs when you Sunforger them), and silly shit like Shunt are decent options too

Can anyone tell me about Zedruu? Is the goat lady fun? Does she get blown out a lot? What is the price of a good Druu deck? Do you win/lose?

I went into my last deck halfblind and don't really like it but I'm kind of stuck with it.

Hail brother.