Good looking plague marines

I have gotten a few of the new plague marines from a dark imperium split.

i collect chaos, but i think the new models look a bit too cartoony and shit.

But i heard that its only because of the colour scheme? And that they look a lot better when painted proberly.

Can you guys give me some nu-plague marines painted in a way that makes actually look diseased, rotten and weathered?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MxGxgFRSR5U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>And that they look a lot better when painted proberly.
By "by painted properly" usually means colour-scheme which hides most of details beneath the dark tones

GW sorta fucking jumped the shark with these. Its not even that the details are wrong, but that they are too fucking big; and sort of "flat" like why are teh spikes growing in neat rows?

I like them. We could use more Blanchesque miniatures like this. Fuck sensible and realistic looking models

>why are the spikes growing in neat rows?

Because they were planted in neat rows, dummy. Nurgle takes gardening very seriously.

Because more random spikes made from plastic would require more moulds and more effort.

When you shave off all the bullshit they actually look pretty good.

>buy "premium" models
>shave the extra stuff added to them so they could be sold at higher price

Brilliant!

Some people actually like the aesthetic as is, if you don't you could just engage in the painting and modeling hobby aspect of the hobby.

If you can't convert and model I'm not sure why you are playing 40k, warmahordes or x wing may be your thing.

buy the FW upgrade kits, they are great!

>he doesn't convert his Warmahordes and X-Wing models

I prefer them darker.

The worse thing about these models is GW's sterile, bland paintjob. They always use those candy colored pastels and it's fucking awful.

Fuck these look sweet. This is what we should have got.

So let's all agree
>The example colors are terrible and should of probably of been kept in the old colors.
>There are too many bits molded in that should of been optional, the deathguard line in general

This! This sums up the issues!

Wont stop the GW shills from sperging out though and telling us we have shit taste, we're not the future of 40K, that 40K was always "Legion of Doom" 1980's saturday morning cartoony etc.

I guess you cant stop retards from beign retarded.

>GW sorta fucking jumped the shark
Could've stopped there, been that way since at least the End Times sculpt wise (prpbably to do with the AOSing of everything they own)

Are they not still yet to release a Plague Marine kit?

It's not this week's preorders, probably next week. ANother 3 weeks before you've got a box in your hand.

I'm terrified it's going to be a shit box considering the Blight Lord farce

where's this from?

This. Most of the new DG shit is great, it's all at least halfway decent, but it could have been slightly better, more optional bits

The currently unreleased plague marine box set.

it's sadly going to be £30 for 7 models which is some bullshit so I wont be bothering but the sculpts do look better and there's more of the blight launcher and CC options like the cleaver and flail.

Gotta ask for some source on that one

Their scheme would look better with sepias and browns, as they are 95% Blanche marines

>Their scheme would look better when it's hides most of their detials on lower ha;fs of miniatures

They look very very good in my oppinion, it's just the utter shit Age of Sigmar paintjobs.

'New GW', everybody.

They look cartoony because of the pink + purple + cartoon green they paint them with.

Also no variation or originality on each model they all follow the same formula

I love watching you salty fucks getting btfo. It's fucking GW and you jump on your charger like they haven't been taking the flying piss.

>i collect chaos, but i think the new models look a bit too cartoony and shit.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the soon-to-come Nurgle terminators?
I myself really like them, especially the beatle-looking guy in the back. Most over the top tentacly/spiky shenanigans seems to have been relegated to the fucker with the massive flail.

I agree. With a different paintjob these guys look really good imo.

Yeah, most of the mutations should really have been on an optional sprue. That way people could decide for themselves how blessed they want their guys to be which would've also allowed for way more 'your guys'-making.

Truly no idea what you're trying to say there champ

That faggot looks great and I really dig the smiley daemon-face head shown top right.

Noice!

The alternate colour schemes in the DG codex look pretty fucking great, all told.

>skr

I dont know what the fuck they were thinking with those shit-tier heads.

Cataphractii are supposed to have a unique pattern of helmet.

The front guy cant even turn his head due to the horn, what the fuck?

I don't really see the issue with making models more extravagant as time allows it. They look more like how they're described in the novels as opposed to "fat green rusty marines".

Yeah, the color schemes are way too clean and neat for nurgle, but these are showcase models, not "look at all these techniques our average client will never be able to achieve" models.

Chaos mutations are a double-edged sword more news at 11

That seems like somewhat of a handicap alright.

The armor used to give sensory data to the marine inside but I'm not sure how it works for plague marines. The horn is inconvenient but the overall aesthetic is good.

I liked the Pandorax Campaign novel, it described a plague marine lord with a skeletal hand that could rot things by touching them.

>I don't really see the issue with making models more extravagant as time allows it.
As I understand it the big thing that bothers people is that the mutations are a bit 'in your face' aswell as not being optional sprue-pieces and as such are 'forced' upon them, limiting the customisation of them.
Pic related is the kind of mutations I prefer for Nurgle. Such lumps and layers of hardened and soft fat tissue that warps and breaks through armour is what I as a fantasy Nurgle WoC-player envision whenever I cast Fleshy Abundance.

He can't see out of that helmet anyway.

That mutation is optional, though.

>Implying that he isn't hiding a Plaguebearer face behind that helmet.

Why the fuck would you?

It isn? Looking at the sprues it seems to be a part of the back of one of the minis. Or are there more backpieces than models in the box?

That's always the trade-off isn't it? Either you make models that look really cool but you have less variation, or you make models that have loads of interchangeable parts.

Since these guys are supposed to be Mortarion's personal force, I don't think it's strange to have them look the part. I haven't seen the sprue either but I reckon there's plenty of stuff you could replace.

Where does it say 7 though?

>That's always the trade-off isn't it? Either you make models that look really cool but you have less variation, or you make models that have loads of interchangeable parts.
True.

>Since these guys are supposed to be Mortarion's personal force, I don't think it's strange to have them look the part. I haven't seen the sprue either but I reckon there's plenty of stuff you could replace.
I agree. I for one really like the look of most of them. I'm even slightly considering converting the beatle guy into a WoC Daemon Prince, if I get sround to buying them.
Sadly there seems to be no optional backpiece-sprues, pic related and seems to be what's included in the box.
All in all I'm more and more tempted to start building a small DG force. If so it would be my first venture into 40K.

Are these guys true-scale like the primaris marines or are they original-marine sized? Otherwise you could get some older terminators 2nd hand, saw them apart and make something new with greenstuff.

No idea. If I had to guess it would be normal terminator scale.
Bear in mind I'm not a 40K-player so I dunno if the new primaris-whatever terminators are larger than the older versions.

Another user explained it really nicely last week when the subject of these models came up and I can’t help but agree completely with it.

The very nature of the Death Guard is undercut by some aspects of this release, they used to sour guys, marching across no mans land, chucking grenades showing terrible resilience and resolve, grinding the fuckers they are fighting down. Then came their downfall, their plague, and how he interpreted it (which I couldn’t help agree with in the fullest), is that the Death Guard with all their sour resilience and were in fact ground down. The resentful sour bastards were ground down by Nurgle and their Primarch relented, absolutely fucked over.

The old Death guard represented this better in most cases, rotting pieces, warped armor plates, strange three eyed mutation, muted tones and their personalities as the ever oncoming tide of filth; once again grinding down those that stood in Nurgle’s and their primarchs way. They missed the mark with the paint job on these models and some of the horns and random mutations slapped on are just to cartoony and go happy to work for these guy. I get Nurgle has the entire hope and life aspect as well, but reserve that shit for nurglings and plaguebearers, demonic assholes bringing decay and plague to your doorstep while behaving in an uncharacteristic giggly way.

The funny thing is that their rules resemble their old and unrelenting way more than the models do in my opinion (grenade showers and stuff, the resilience, stuff like that).

TL;DR: They should have toned done the “DUDE, MUTATIONS, LMAO” down a bit and gone for the sour Death Guard warped mutation and WW1 trench aesthetic.

This post is spot on.
Is not what they did, but the new style and the fact that they over-did it.
Not bad models per se but albeit I started to buy some DI from ebay, the design problems and obvious cash grab from GW are making me bitter and less motivated.

Okay I could definitely get behind that explanation and I would tots malots like it if they increased the WWI trench aesthetic and the number of optional pickle helmet-styled helmets.

So just paint them less bright. It's mostly to show off all the details on the models. You can make those models look much nastier than they do now.

>I get Nurgle has the entire hope and life aspect as well
To be clear Nurgle doesnt represent hope thats Tzeentchs domain, youre thinking of acceptance.

While we're here, what do people think of this, the Chibi-engine and the other Nurgle stuff?

That tank is imposing as fuck without being flashy or overly adorned with bullshit. I really dig it.

Not a huge fan. Just gonna get some regular cataphractii torsos and legs, and mix them with CSM terminator arms and pads, since Indomitus pads on a Cataphractii is now canon. It's also help to differentiate them from my Grave Wardens (why can't we have heavy support terminators with all out heavy weapons in 40k?)

>why can't we have heavy support terminators with all out heavy weapons in 40k
Fucking A. This. This so hard.

I am actually pleasantly surprised by the tank.
the design and detail level is spot-on, you cannot say the same about the infantry.

See, here I find that the cannon is out of place and that a phlegm vomiting daemon face would fit in more. That might just be the cleanliness of it all though.

No you can't. The tank have the style it seems to me that people would've wanted the infantry to have. I.e more despairing WW1-trench warfare than mutations-deluxe.

Your suggestion would make for a really neat conversion.

I like it. it reads "Siege-vehicle" to me.

This whole death guard release has felt like a bit of a clusterfuck.
From the terrible studio paint schemes, the god forsaken amounts of mono pose models (both as characters and as part of other units cause fuck you), to being spread out over such a long amount of time and the basic troops being among the last units to get a proper release.

I'd rather the future Cult Legion releases be more like the Thousand Sons one, short, concise and primarily multi-part kits with loads of options.

how would one go on painting like this?

airbrush or something?

With an airbrush, Here's a similar but less shit version of that colour scheme youtube.com/watch?v=MxGxgFRSR5U

>airbrush
shit, I hate working with airbrush.

and the chibi-tank

What's wrong with an airbrush? Cleanup is kind of a pain but the rest is not so bad.

Okay this is just cute as fuck. Who is papa's little death robot? You are, yes you are. I want an army of these BEEP BOOP BEEPING into enemy lines.

Because I'm a hobbyist and not a glorified lego builder with no creativity?

>Morty
Too over-the-top for my taste but a lot of that is the trash paintjob on official ones, not beyond salvaging but probably not gonna get
>Typhus
Goofy shit, needs serious work with clippers and needs his arm reposed. Old model is far superior
>Lord of Contagion
Makes a far better typhus than typhus, i'm waiting on some more greenstuff to finish putting a nid talon instead of his big choppa.
>lesser characters
Tallyman looks good, bellnigga is swaggerific, medic is generic and grenadier is inferior to the DI generic marine
>marines
Individual sculpts vary, DI had some good ones but the plague champ looks like trash. mutations are pretty over-the-top in a lot of places
>Deathshroud
Solid Meh, expensive in cash and points, very hard to do anything interesting pose-wise, inferior to the original FW ones
>Blightlords
Solid special terminators, look pretty good, hopefully they can take variant parts easily, have their own thing seperate from FW termies
>Blight-Hauler
Looks interesting, it needed to be a multipart kit with a bunch of options rather than essentially a monopose light vehicle. Totally adorable though
>Drone
Great model, good fun to paint, i wish it had some sort of long-range heavy weapon option other than the goofy-looking drum-cannon
>Tonk
I like it, the mortar's the weakest part but the tank itself is the grinding field artillery of the 41st millenium and it suits the aesthetic while still fitting with the army

Got two rhinos, old typhus, a DP, 14/20 dudes and a drone painted up, gonna get probably a Falchion, two more drones, an artillery tank and a predator, maybe a blight-hauler squadron if they get some sort of options to give it a consistent role, its too pricey in-game to use atm

>my toys are better, more grown-up and creative than those other guys' toys

this mother fucker is adorable!

That's some cute looking spider tank alright.

I think people wanted more balance between "heavily mutated" and "shit stuck on to fuck over chinese recasters".

Like the problem isn't that they have extra details, the problem comes with the models that are busy and therefore an eyesore.

Not all of the new models have this problem, but there are a few that look like a 5 year old glued on a bunch of Nurglings because he though it looked cool.

The thing that does these guys in is that it's all presculpted and monoposed. If you got all that stuff in the form of optional bits, it'd be great. But it's just pure overload when you slap an entire kit's worth of bits onto 3 models and expect me to roll with it.

Paint scheme certainly doesn't help either. It's all pretty much the same tone. Needs some more darks and more brights.

It looks good, akin to what I think a demon engine would be, not the ten thousand imperial vehicle copy.

This post is cancer

Then why don't you play a miniatures game where that sort of thing is encouraged and purposeful?

I was the user who posted it and yeah, thats pretty much the Gist.

The Death Guard were always minimalist in there approach to warfare, wargear and heraldry. Mortarion, first and foremost was a bitter and cynical pragmatist who wore down his enemies by grinding them down and wearing them out. This attitude permeated the legion. It was this attitude that Nurgle exploited with striking them down with Nurgle's rot as he forced their endurance to work against them and broke their wills. Although they sided with Horus they wanted nothing to do with the warp or it's sorcery. Nurgle, with help of Typhus, pretty much spiritually raped them into submission. And if you thought they were bitter before such an act would only concentrate the hatred and bitterness (which ofcourse wold serve Nurgle's purpose in his mortal servants). Have a read of Index Astartes Death Guard. Google Red Elf to have a read.

Also note the Geneseed bit where it says the Death Guard have some mutations, but a much rarer and more subdued due to Mutation being as Tzeentch thing (and over doing it not being a Deathguard thing).

This is why I dislike the new models, they aren't what the Death Guard are (as established in fluff). OVer doing it with detail and mutation on a faction that stress minimalism and pragmatism (and Nurgle reluctance to mutate in opposition to Tzeentch) the heavy detail and mutation just does not fit, nor make sense. Furthermore the Death Guard are bitter hateful bastards press ganged into a service to & worship of something they never wanted and openly hated before there corruption. The happy, joyful tone of the models is in direct contradiction of established tone and theme. They worship and serve Nurgle, and hate every second they do so, just as they did when serving the Emperor. They haven't changed they've stagnated to the point of rotting (much to Nurgle's delight).

Also, we more WW1 trench theme with MKII and MKIII pickle helmets. Those never stop looking awesome. Give us less antlers and shrouds, thats for Chaos Warriors and AOS.

And leave the happy to the Demons, God forbid that a faction of Chaos actually be varied in tone and style. I love the happy go lucky aesthetic of the Demons and think it marries well with the bitter of the Death Guard. That way you get to see Nurgle in more than one of his aspects.

>most of the mutations should really have been on an optional sprue
Many of the mutations (and other details) are used to disguise or mitigate the flaws of injection molding.

With plastic models, it's not really a problem. You can just clip, carve and file off the shit you don't like the look of fairly painlessly.

I feel like the Iron Warriors had their shit stolen and then plague raped.

Anyone else notice how oddly clean it is?

mostly the paintjob, innit?

>Bitter DG and joyous Daemons.
That would actually make for a great theme army.

how many in a box? 4? 5? 7?

These silly designs fit AoS. They feel out of place in 40k

>implying conversions can't be purposeful

Why it's hip to hate literally everything GW does if it doesn't reference some oldhammer shit directly?