Consider this: The best system is objectively the one your group has the most fun playing

Consider this: The best system is objectively the one your group has the most fun playing.

You CANNOT prove me wrong

>fun
Reeeeeeee

>objectively
So the objectively best system is determined by your group's subjective experience

True. I can't prove you wrong.

It's like music, art or litterature. So, yeah, I guess so. Or some paradoxical shit like that.

Well, yeah.

The question is really only valid for planning purposes. When you're asking "we're new, what system should we use?" or "maybe our game could be more fun, should we switch systems?" then the question is important.

It might be impossible or rather meaningless to talk about a 'best' game, song, picture or book, but we can certainly identify ones which are objectively bad.

The best system is wholly imaginary, because it has no rules for you to prove bullshit.

The most fun system is always the one I'm reading about but haven't actually played yet. I'm sure this next one will be it, and I won't lose my group when I make them switch this time.

OP is an idiot

>The best group is objectively the one everyone involved has fun playing with, no matter the system.

With a great group and an amazing GM, fucking everything is fun and a good time. System is nearly irrelevant at that point.

The burden of proof is on the one making the assertion. Just because somebody is having fun with a system, doesn't mean they wouldn't hypothetically being have much more fun with another, much better written and designed system.

RPG design and crafting theory is far and away from perfect.

OP specifically said "your group" which does not have an amazing GM nor great players.

Not true. Your group can have fun playing only when they're playing objectively the best system, otherwise they're just pretending.

>fun
nice buzzword there pal

Provably false. Plenty of people have fun playing Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder. Both systems are objectively shit and thus anybody playing them are objectively shit.

But what if we COULD be having more fun in a different system but we'll never know.

That image is going to forever haunt my dreams now. Thanks for that user...

relax, couple more days on Veeky Forums and you might see something even more horrifying that will override this particular memory

My buddies and I had the best time watching Zombie Strippers, but it's not exactly the best movie in the world. "Objectevely".

lurk more "please"

Is this your first day on Veeky Forums?

>System is nearly irrelevant at that point.
Isn't that a good thing though? The system having absolutely no effect on the experience.

LURK MOAR

Counter-arguement: My group are all fags and they choose to have fun wrong.

but what if I never played an RPG before?

Systems can contribute to the experience positively though, they're not always a hindrance, otherwise we'd all just freeform messenger/forum roleplay.

Wrong. The best system objectively is GURPS.

That's the system my group has the most fun playing

I accept your terms.

I dunno, OP, my group has fun playing some really shitty games.

>You CANNOT prove me wrong
My group and I do not enjoy the same things.

You are encouraged to lurk more to not post comments like this where everyone has either experienced or gone far past the point where they'd make a simple obvious reaction to a post like that.

Simply put, it wastes space, and if everyone did it or we stopped discouraging it, Veeky Forums would decrease in quality to the point of the comments resembling those of YouTube or Facebook.

>The best system is objectively the one your group has the most fun playing.

That's true except for the word "objectively".

Since you have literally defined the meaning of "subjectively".

I hope you're trolling, but sadly, you're probably not.

The system my group has the most fun playing could objectively considered the best _for my group_, but cannot be objectively considered the best system for all groups.

Additionally, some systems might be less fun in the moment but open up the group to greater heights of fun later. Being trapped in local maximums is hell.

"Best" always implies "best (at something specific)".

Counterpoint: if your group has fun with freeform games, then that's also a good system for playing.

The group enjoys a game that i don't

Objectively, well I can prove you wrong. There is no best system.

Easy.

But you're saying this on a board where 95% of the posters don't even play any system and don't have any friends.

Is telling themselves this the only way the friendless loser minority here can sleep at night?

Ye

How dp ypu calculate fun?

That's "ideal", not "best".

This is such a fucking flawed premise I'm not entirely sure why I'm asnwering, but here we are.

There's so much more to the fun you're having than the system you're using. I've played systems I found absolutely horrible, and I still had fun playing because of the setting, the characters, the story, the inside jokes. I had fun, the group had fun, but that was fun in spite of the system, not by any virtue of it.

Objectively speaking, there is no objectivity.

The question is, why does it matter what system is the best?

If you enjoy playing then that's all that matters

>t. 3.pf grognard

>feels_guy.png

depends if i am considered part of the group if i am the GM.

if system didnt matter, we might as well run FATAL all day everyday

t. subjective opinion