Imagine a machine the size of a city block...

Imagine a machine the size of a city block, its merest subsystems more complex than any warp drive or gellar field generator by an order of magnitude, capable of interfacing reality with the pure energy of the immaterial. Imagine wires that can conduct souls, processors that can regulate the flow of the energy of life itself. Imagine the compounding, fiendish circuits, existing despite all logic.

Imagine the power input of billions of lives, lives beyond the normal, unimaginable vibrancy of an average human, capable of a lifetime’s worth of love and hate, creativity and murder, compassion and cruelty, empathy and apathy, piercing intelligence and wilful stupidity, lives that extend beyond the physical form and into the somewhere-realm that simultaneously forms and is formed by all these emotions and actions.

Imagine the difficulty of attempting to maintain such a machine, that links to a space that exists divorced but parallel to the universe, sitting on the knife-edge of reality, many of its constituent parts not even having an existence as we understand it, many of its processes governed by semi-sapient intelligences rather than predictable programs.

Imagine the impossible task of working with such an artifice, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, week by week, month by month, for a lifetime, for two lifetimes, for a dozen lifetimes, for a thousand thousand lifetimes spanning ten millennia, when all knowledge of such machinery is guarded, and even that is partly-guessed, poorly-understood, barely-known to begin with, each successive engineer bringing his own ideas, clouded by his personal interpretation of a hybrid of theological axioms and mechanical laws.

Imagine a circuit, sitting on the curve between possible and impossible, here and there, then and now, real and imaginary (and who can say from which imagination it springs?).

Imagine that circuit, over decades and centuries, slowly shifting, misaligning, blowing transistors and capacitors and resistors and switches existing in quantum states.

How could you possibly maintain such a circuit?

Now imagine if that circuit were to break.

Imagine failures, blockages, feedback loops, data cascades formed of the firmament and the mundane clashing with each other, screaming, burning, dying-

Imagine a machine, which powers a sun, which divides the earth and the sky, which shines in the minds of all beings, which keeps a god in stasis, going supernova.

A soul, a soul which is to other beings as a fissioning atom is to a candle, simultaneously smaller and yet belonging to a category too large to be describable, suddenly being released from a nightmare of screams which sustained it.

It soars, stretches, rejoices, gathers in those nascent extensions of itself which had existed elsewhere (for an indivisible whole cannot be parted from itself), gaining another perspective, another vantage still.

The trail of its flight cauterises the wound that until now the weight of its presence had merely been holding shut, and its blooming radiance subsumes and supplants the guiding light its sheer psychic weight had been emanating, no longer simply providing a reference point but illuminating paths, smoothing storm-tossed waters.

Imagine four entities, four dasein, simultaneously greater than any human and yet less, as the perfect form of an arm is greater than a human and yet less, both mindless and conscious, both map and territory, both city and citizen, existing in the immaterial and extending their nonexistence into the material, suddenly aware of this soul which stands right beside them a billion miles away, within them and burning their exterior.

Imagine the terror of the candle faced with a sea, imagine the confusion of a drop of rain plunging into a nuclear blast, imagine the rage of a breath of wind meeting a mountain, imagine the apathy of a sod of earth caught up in a storm.

Imagine the helplessness of these.

In an instant aeon, they are regarded, and vanish, as a hunger pang is destroyed by acknowledging and ignoring it.

Imagine an OP that gets to the point

The phoenix, expanding to fill the Empyrean as the sea of dreaming implodes on this single reference point, finds the echoes of itself, replaces them into their proper places in reality, as the hundreds of other unreal paragons of division, unity, species and cultures, and other exemplars are either absorbed or engulfed, consumed by fire or crushed by water.

Imagine a guardsman, a loyal soldier of the Imperium, screaming a pointless defiance in the mud of a world important only in the abstract of meta-wars, firing her rifle as the impossible nightmares spawned by the existence of her species charge towards her - and vanish.

Imagine an Astartes, a mighty warrior spawned to fight for his God and Father, painted in red and white, a black eagle on his chest. The last of his squad, firing and moving with a grace and brutality painful to perceive, as the red hordes of the Hive Mind close in - and finds himself back to back with his liege, his progenitor, whose strikes are so fluid that the space marine’s blows seem like those of a child.

Imagine a Commissar, a mere man given the power of life and death over all below him, living only to ensure his regiment are killed by the enemy or die trying, raising his pistol to end the life of a private he judges more sluggish than the rest in his charge towards the line of green behemoths - and finding his hand in the grip of a man who is more than a man, who stands seven feet tall yet occupies all the space the political officer’s mind can perceive, whose hair catches the light from a burning tank yet seems surrounded by a pure light of its own, whose murmur of, “no more” causes the executioner’s eardrums to burst.

Imagine a child, born at that moment, the first to enter a world where her psychic powers will be dangerous, but not put her at risk of being transformed into a gibbering nightmare of insane geometry.

Imagine a world, not golden, not a paradise, but desired, dotted with clean-aired cities whose inhabitants wear gas masks, who speak rarely but smile often, walking the battlements alone, suddenly joined by all their loved ones who were in the rain, and knowing that they have been rewarded for holding, always.

Imagine hope, spreading across a whole galaxy, lives beyond counting sloughing off a tainted experience and greeting a new life.

Imagine all this.

The circuit doesn't break.

Not yet.

Imagine an OP that wasn't so bad at writing he had to open literally every paragraph with "imagine"

Imagine a Malayan knitting board where there were people who could come up with more than one joke.

Also, general writefaggotry thread.

Imagine a more ironic post

>Imagine hope, spreading across a whole galaxy, lives beyond counting sloughing off a tainted experience and greeting a new life.

None of this is 40K. This is the rot that's set in and plans to strip the setting of everything that made it worthwhile so as to turn it into some generic good human empire vs evil forces. You can take your Noblebright HFY shit and go fuck yourself.

Forget the hater OP. Good write, bro. The emperor protects.

>No fun or original content allowed

>No trite or generic content allowed.

If you shits had your way, it would be nothing but Noblebright Imperium wankfest all day, every day. Original? Don't make me fucking laugh.

Nigger seriously? Writefag did something interesting and just because you don't like it you have to come in here to crush him so that you feel big? Man, you're the fucking problem, not the writefag making something for our pleasure.

Writefag, while it isn't my speed (40k ain't my jam), I appreciate you trying and making something cool. Ignore the haters and keep making stuff.

>What if the Emperor came back and made everything better and fixed EVERYTHING FOREVER!
This is not interesting, this is the first fucking thought that every fucking kid has ever fucking had when first discovering 40k. At least 50k took moderately more effort to come up with.

>What if the Emperor came back and EVERYTHING was FIXED!
>But WAIT! What if the Emperor came back and everything was FUCKED!

Hey OP, try to get pass the first fucking stage and maybe you can writefag something interesting instead of generic feelgood fairy tale nonsense.

>Not unterstanding that the combo of Grimdark and HFY Epicness, the mixture of cold seriousness and over the top humor is what makes 40k, that what it is.
Only Grimdark-, Only Noblebright-, Only Memes- AND Only Seriousfags. You ALL can go and fuck yourself, because NO ONE of you unterstands this setting. It has and will always be, as good as it is, because you can tell so different stories in it. You have Tragedy and Comedy, Hope and Despair, the Good of the Human Nature and HFY as well as Corrupted or Morally Bankrupt Minds.

Fucker has the fucking God fucking Emperor striding along solving the galaxies problems and making everything nice and fluffy and noble and fucking bright. There is NO FUCKING AMBIGUITY there so you can go ahead and fuck yourself as well if you endorse this crap.

So what?
I don't like the Idea of Resurrecting the Emperor either, but I am not an autistic faggot about it.

Not really into 40k, but I can get down with the "supreme unknowable god-machine" aesthetic.

Has any RPG done cool stuff in this space? I wonder how you would run a game with the PCs as a repair team inside a city-sized mess of techno-psionic cabling and MC Escher maintenance tunnels.

Resurrecting the Emperor is fine if one executes it well enough, so no one writing for GW can ever do it justice. 50k did it and it was dark as fuck.

>solving the galaxies problems and making everything nice and fluffy and noble and fucking bright.
This is what I strongly object to and what makes OP a fucking turbofaggot.

>This is what I strongly object to
user, you think too highly of yourself. Why should someone change want they cause a stuck up fucktard like you don't like an idea?

If you don't like it make up something more up your speed.

Who the fuck are you and what makes you think people should adhere to your autism?

I liked the arm bit, with the duality of forms and their existence

You're free to tell me to go fuck myself just as I'm free to tell you to take your NobleBright garbage and go jump off a cliff.

Nigger i'm free to call you whatever i want and you the same. But you have to understand that while people notices a retarded fuckwad covering himself in shit while screaming and squealing like a stuck lobotomized pig, no one really gives a flying fuck.

So again, who the fuck are you?

You suck at writing, find another hobby

gnarly