What would politics and warfare look like in a sci-fi world where perfect decryption technology is the norm and data...

What would politics and warfare look like in a sci-fi world where perfect decryption technology is the norm and data security is more or less non-existent?

The only way to reliably keep data secret is to transport it as a closely-guarded hardcopy, which has its own problems.

How do factions interact if they're literally unable to keep a secret?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What would politics and warfare look like in a sci-fi world where perfect decryption technology is the norm and data security is more or less non-existent?

How?

If you send "10:20" as a message, and the other guy has a book where he checks page 10, line 20 for the meaning, how the fuck do you decrypt that without having the book?

What is wrong with using had copies for everything? It worked for humans for as long as it.did.

Did you just stop reading at the first line?

>What is wrong with using had copies for everything? It worked for humans for as long as it.did.
Carting them around is much slower than using radio or laser communications.

>If you send "10:20" as a message, and the other guy has a book where he checks page 10, line 20 for the meaning, how the fuck do you decrypt that without having the book?
throw an AI at it. you could probably pick up some pattern matching, etc, to know 10:20 was "buy me some dildos" if every time a person sent that, they got a box of dildos from the person they sent it to.

Remind me of an episode of a tv show, don't remember its name, but you had the team of protag that should find an info about I don't remember what from an evil organisation. They manage to hack in the server of the organisation but they find nothing, so they decide to infiltrate said organisation and they found that they kept all of their most crucial information on paper in a vault. Still remember one of the character saying it was the perfect anti hacking actions.

You need to tell the other guy what book it is first.
Which has its own problems.

People could just rely on non-electronic methods of communication with very heavy control over any wireless recording and communication, and develop culture of secrecy for communicating whatever's not time critical.

Unless you're going all the way into "it's magic!" category, perfect decryption is pretty unlikely. Sure, an arbitrary powerful computer could crack most digital encryption but it would require entirely different tools and power to crack a secret language.

Most time critical information has a limited usefulness, anyhow. If you manage to keep "We attack at 5 am" message out of enemy's hands until 4:58 am on the same day, it wouldn't matter a whole lot if it got decrypted.

Now if everyone was telepathic, to a degree, that would be a whole different world...

Oh yeah, over time, but we already have that. If the AI could tell that the same message means different things for different people, just from who it was sent to, that'd basically be akin to being omnipotent.

If you somehow imprinted the meaning into every message you sent as a fact of that universe, and there was a djinn anyone could ask "what did he mean by this?" maybe it could work?

>Did you just stop reading at the first line?

I'm not sure how they help. Without being told how they achieve it, there's no way to tell what effect it'll have.

>Without being told how they achieve it
A space magic superscience technology listens in on all wireless communication and the in-setting equivalent of the internet, shredding any encryption to pieces in a matter of seconds.

Check Cryptomancer

It's not exactly what you describe (you could say it's the opposite), but it's got a nice take on information war in a fantasy world/RPG. It'll allso give you a quick rundown on how encryption works to begin with.

there's a comic about a world where everyone's private stuff gets leaked en masse.

I think everyone ends up walking round in masks to protect their physical identical, except the protagonist

This guy has it right.
You don't need to encrypt information if you are speaking in terms of unknown references.

The trick is to keep those books secret.
Which is far from impossible.

>You need to tell the other guy what book it is first.
>Which has its own problems.
Not really, you just have to conspire with your conspirators beforehand, like any decent spy.
It's never been easy or common to send a secret coded message to someone who has no idea how to read it.

Okay, so "chapter 5 sentence 10 of your favorite book" would still work, yeah? There'd be a lot more pre-agreed codes going on.

It would, but it's of limited use, unless everyone you may need to communicate with has a vast library of books with entries for every possible scenario. And the more people have access to the code library, the more likely it is to get leaked.

>It's never been easy or common to send a secret coded message to someone who has no idea how to read it.

Asymmetric key algorithms help. And the problem with conspiring with your conspirators is getting in touch in the first place, not to mention ensuring that they aren't counter-spies. If everyone relies on obscure security, it won't take long for everyone involved in intelligence to start attempting to infiltrate any and all conspiracies.

Get a box or cargo container or more if you need of hard drives filled with encryption key and send those via sneakerweb for arbitrarily high transmission rates. Then just send whatever messages over the internet encrypted with that key. If you only encrypt one bit of data per one bit of key, then it's unbreakable. Or rather, you could "break" the message to be anything. Pretty much the only thing you can tell is the size of the message, but you can add a bit of protocol to obfuscate even that. Just send a new batch of key to the receiver when necessary.

But we are already doing that.

Why the hell wouldn1t you try to infiltrate conspiracies?

I don't even understand how they would be possible. If perfect decryption was a thing, we'd have so much computing power that we'd have far bigger fucking problems.

This is a very poignant thread considering what's happening in the field of quantum computing right now

OP, explain your fucking pic, what the hell is going on here? Is she hanging a bowling ball from her clit?!

Intimacy coach and vaginal weight lifter, Kim Anami, has been dubbed the woman with tightest vagina in the world.

According to reports, the 44-year-old can lift up to 10 pounds with nothing but her genital muscles and can have up to 20 orgasms in a row.

Anami developed these super-strong muscles through 20 years of practicing “Vaginal Kung Fu,” an ancient Taoist practice that helps strengthen the pelvic muscles.

On her website, Anami is of the opinion that the popular Kegel muscle exercises is child’s play when super-strong vagina is concerned.

According to her, the benefits of having a strong vagina are immense, and include better bladder control, a more youthful appearance, and increased sexual pleasure, along with greater spiritual and emotional satisfaction.

“As a modern-day sexual savant, it is my experience that nearly every woman has a weak, under-performing, under-pleasuring vagina. You can’t tune into your sexual energy and sexual pleasure if you can’t even feel your vagina. Sex for me is a personal growth tool. It is healing, revitalising and self-actualising. It’s just part of a healthy lifestyle. I have always felt very aware of my sexual energy and had an interest in how to make sex even better. I first started practicing what I now call Vaginal Kung Fu–the mastery of all things vagina—20 years ago,” she writes on her website.

The point isn't to understand how it's done.

The point is to speculate on how nations or other factions would interact with each other if every single one of them could reliably listen in on basically all of their communications.

Telepathy is better for creating this kind of situation because it avoids the familiar technology for something more esoteric and make believe.

Traditionally, communication was not secure just about ever. Throughout just about as long as an organized mail system existed, letters were routinely opened up and read by spies.

Flood the channel with similar or plausible messages and hide your actual message in the noise.

>"an ancient Taoist practice"
>wise master, shall we meditate on enhancing our harmony with nature today?
>nah fuck that, fetch a wench from the village, I've got a wickedsick idea

Welcome to tantra

I'm being told it's pretty fun, been meaning to give it a try.

You would just use face-to-face and destroy-on-reading hard copies, like people who don't want to get caught by 3 Letters do today.

It'd probably just devolve on to carriers smuggling flash drives around like they do in North Korea and Cuba, well there is IP over Avian carriers, so maybe carrier pigeons are used significantly
>During the last 20 years, the information density of storage media and thus the bandwidth of an avian carrier has increased 3 times as fast as the bandwidth of the Internet. IPoAC may achieve bandwidth peaks of orders of magnitude more than the Internet when used with multiple avian carriers in rural areas. For example: If 16 homing pigeons are given eight 512 GB SD cards each, and take an hour to reach their destination, the throughput of the transfer would be 145.6 Gbit/s, excluding transfer to and from the SD cards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

And in order to be anywhere important in any organization, you'd have to go through pretty gruesome rites to make sure that you're loyal. Like, murder someone. Provide disastrous blackmail info on yourself to prove that you will never go rogue. It's the ultimate honor code.

>Everybody was kung-fu fighting
>Those cats were fast as lightning
>In fact it was a little bit frighting
>But they fought with expert timing

>They were funky China men from funky Chinatown
>They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down
>It's an ancient Chinese art and everybody knew their part
>From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip

IDK man, I feel like betraying an organization would also be harder, since you also can't do secret codes to betray.

I don't think the situation would be that different from today, we'd just use different methods to get around the AI that can break encryptions (which also means we don1t need to encrypt using those methods, which may overall just mean a different allocation of resources).

They could just hard wire important communication channels. Yeah, someone *might* be able to tap it, but they'll have to physically do so, which can be caught.
Also, data entry into important systems is already manual. Irl, they have a Secretary or someone look at the data from one system that is network enabled and then manually copy it line by line into an isolated system (often a very, very outdated, isolated system).

These are the kind of women you scroll past on dating websites, and for good reason.