Would your last party be able to wade through the edutaining sea of clues and retrieve their macguffin?

Would your last party be able to wade through the edutaining sea of clues and retrieve their macguffin?
How much do they know about mundane geography, capitals, and history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PYhodCCUyBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bro, I don't think you realize just how obscenely powerful Carmen Sandiego is. She has stolen things people have no business stealing.

Well, yeah, hence why it's not a question of "can you stop her from stealing it", it's a question of "can you solve her educational clues to retrieve the object".
Can grok the barbarian put aside his rage long enough to research what the capital of ohio is?

She has stolen my heart

No he can't, and I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get out of a villain who constantly makes a fool of the party and only lets them win by giving them the answer.

You can get like 20 games of mileage.

>sassy, intelligent, raven haired trickster who can steal whatever she wants, when she wants
The cartoon gave my dick funny feelings.

Many players don't like when their power fantasy is so wholly compromised. They will try to kill her, and she'll naturally get away, and your players will only get madder. They don't like being told, "You're not going to catch her, and she's going to do it all over again."

Our GM tried doing this shit. We killed her with poison, took her head and were going to turn it in for a bounty, but someone stole the head AND THE WHOLE FUCKING BOUNTY OFFICE.That was the last time we had direct contact with her. She still showed up in the background, we'd hear of things gone missing like rivers, the concept of double entry economics and the BBEG's childhood.

My players ignore clues so they would be instantly lost.

A quick google search confirms that even beyond impossibly large physical objects (monuments, buildings, railroads, etc.), she's stolen geographical formations, all the goulash in the world, and abstract concepts like the Portrugese language and the steps to the tango.

Also her backstory is that she's a former agent of your organization that got so good at her job she decided the only way to have fun was to switch sides. She leaves clues because otherwise it would be too boring for her.

What a woman.

>She has stolen things people have no business stealing.
This sounds stupid, and then you realise:

>the steps to the tango (not the dance, just the steps)
>half of lake Titicaca's fish
>the Olympic flame (okay, this one isn't so bad)
>the Nile River Delta (what)
>the cape of good hope (double what)
>Saturn's rings (triple what)
>the Milky Way galaxy (how the fucking what are you talking then?)

And she does this shit for FUN.

Do they at least look for them?
Two groups ago, I had entire party of people who were acting like Jack Slater in Last Action Hero - literally expecting from things to just happen around them, without doing any work by themselves and stumbling around. Once they even literally declared as a group to "wait until something happens".
I've ended up switching for dungeon crawl with those idiots, unable to endure anything else with them.

Where would you even store that shit?

Yeah, for all the meming about how great she is at stealing things, nobody notices how disgustingly easy it is to find her.
Like, you just need to know a country's chief export, and you have her.
>b-but she just does that because she WANTS to get caught!
Yes, yes, I'm sure Lex Luthor enjoys getting punched by Superman, too.

Not a single one of my characters, nor any one of the parties they've been in, would stand a damn chance.

Well, in the case of the Milky Way Galaxy, it was a vacuum cleaner that was about the size of a large dog or a small horse.

Grand Theft of Mobile Real-Estate

t. got taken for a ride on a slow boat to China

>Yes, yes, I'm sure Lex Luthor enjoys getting punched by Superman, too.

user, she's said as much, that she enjoys the chase, and we've seen her deliberately leave behind clues. She 100% is doing this for fun, she 100% wants to be chased and wants to be caught.

I mean, what's the worst that's gonna happen to her? Fucking jail? She'll be out inside of 12 hours, ready to steal something else. And all she ever does is steal stuff without causing anyone any harm, so it's not like she'll ever face any kind of death sentence.

I'd kill to just see a little 5- or 10-minute long cartoon that was Carmen Sandiego verses The Doctor. Just a promotional stunt.

>without causing anyone any harm
Don’t remember Word Detective, I take it?

>She stole her own head
Fucking Christ I am dying here

Is that the one where she has the Tower of Babble?

Yup. Let me just quote TV Tropes.
>Carmen's master plan in this game, as explained by her and Chase, is pretty horrifying in its implications. The Babble-On Machine has the ability to completely destroy speech—and not in a silly way, but one that completely degenerates all forms of talking by directly affecting the part of the brain that controls language. There isn't even a pattern to the garbled sentences that would allow people to work out how to communicate—it's implied that the order of the syllables is different each time someone speaks. An e-mail from Chase Devineaux reveals that the machine also works on print, which would destroy the concept of written language as well. All of this adds up to a system that makes communication completely impossible—and Carmen comes extremely close to unleashing it on the entirety of the world. It's a good thing you foil the plan, because if you didn't...
>For reference: Ra's al-Ghul once tried to kill 90% of the human race through this exact method, and damn near succeeded.

>super-intelligent time travelling psychic
>has high skill ranks in History
He would probably enjoy it actually.

Don't forget all the salt in the Dead Sea and the Middle Ages. As in the time period. Didn't she also steal the alphabet once?

Hmm, maybe someone had just pissed her off and she'd decided to turn her dial from "half-ass" to "three-quarters ass".

The concept of Carmen Sandiego actually taking a situation SERIOUSLY is...horrifying in its implications, and always has been.

>Where in the world did everyone's brain stem go?

Or alternatively...

youtube.com/watch?v=PYhodCCUyBs

They would be able to permanently defeat her. The party was grossly overpowered, no idea why the dm let us get to that point.

Really, a campaign with a Carmen Sandiego style villain is one you need to clear with your players before-hand.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to any mystery-style thing with my players either. Last few attempts....
>Mystery thing happens, party needs/wants to solve it
>They just give me blank stares until I drop some hints(read: tell them what to roll)
>They find a single hint
>Immediately decide this one clue is the linchpin of their entire investigation.
>They don't even bother looking at anything else and just go full force one checking this one single clue.
>They go to the first person they can find that the clue implicates and murder the shit out of him.
>No attempt to accuse him or get him arrested, or even interrogate him, they just kill him.
>Get mad because it wasn't him when there were at least 4-5 other people that the clue points to that other clues found by searching more could have narrowed down.

Dude, I'd honestly put Carmen Sandiego on the same level as THE DOCTOR at the absolute height of his bullshit. It's difficult to imagine that your party was THAT grossly overpowered.

I'd say she's more doctor doom bullshit. Always having an escape attempt up her sleeve.

DOOM, while powerful, has yet to steal geographic concepts, whereas I'm pretty sure the Doctor has fought those.

>It's difficult to imagine that your party was THAT grossly overpowered.
Power playing gestalts and allowing homebrew materials. Retardedly over leveled.

If you need levels to express your power, then you're not playing on Carmen Sandiego's field. Carmen plays the same game that's played by The Lady of Pain or Lord Ao.

>Implying doom cares about anyone else, including physics
>Writers won't just pull bullshit about how he used a new invention to steal the sistine chapel and mount rushmore

You don't understand. It was sickening.

>Where in the world did our character sheets go?

Carmen sandiego rules:
Carmen always steals the thing.
Carmen always escapes.
Carmen can be foiled by following educational clues.
Am I missing any?

Carmen intentionally leaves most, if not all, clues.

Carmen has a soft spot for incompetent villains. V.I.L.E. as an organization can be thought of as a training organization to make harmless, incompetant villains into super-villains (that still don't cause any serious harm). Which is kind of impressive in and of itself - imagine someone who could take a random kid who stole a pack of gum once, and turn him into Daniel Ocean.

Carmen (almost) never does anything that would cause any serious harm. EXCEPTIONS: Where in Time (the TV show), and Word Detective. In most other incarnations, though, she actually goes out of her way to not hurt people, and will actually drop what she's doing in order to save people.

Carmen Sandiego has a crew of punnily-named accomplices to take the rap (and who may snitch on her)
Carmen Sandiego may only be caught if you can tell the game which article is on page 85 of the included encyclopedia.

>>the Milky Way galaxy (how the fucking what are you talking then?)
How would anyone inside the galaxy notice ?

Our monk would be a problem, but we can watch her dumb ass. Our rogue would love Carmen San Diego as a challenge. My fighter/cleric's got a knack for cartography while the paladin has a fondness for history. It'd take a while, but I think we'd get her in the end.

Meanwhile, our Mages would be looking at her and wondering if she was Awakened too. She's like goddamn Reclaimer.

Thank god we have a decker for exactly this kind of boring work.

This.

Maybe she'll just steal all of your experience because she's proven capable of stealing abstract concepts. Maybe she'll steal your class.

Really, the only way to beat Carmen Sandiego is to be more bullshit than her. Which is unlikely.

You also have to stop her from stealing your bullshit.

I feel that when your entire galaxy is in a matter of seconds sucked up into a vacuum cleaner the size of a large dog (or small horse), you notice.

Actually, the way to beat carmen sandiego is to follow her dumb clues and capture her.
From there, all you need is an un-stealable jail cell.

What if she steals the unstealable aspect of the cell?

hire a second master thief to steal it back.

In at least one game, she does it by shrinking them.
In another, she steals knowledge by having her Knowbots go out and raid all the libraries of the world. I think this game was invented before the Internet really took off.

Also, she likes kids.

And what do we do if she STEALS the second master thief?

Hope he stole back the cell before he got stolen.