Kamigakari Thread

Once again it is time.

Last threads poll ended at 15 votes, likely due to not having contractor on the list, with legacy user winning at 4 votes, dragon carrier at 3, and god hand and digital sorceror at 2, with a few others getting a single vote each.

The Poll this time is going to be about the races, and which one appeals to you the most. I'll give a short summary of each race down below. I'm also taking suggestions for polls to be had in the future.

strawpoll.me/14010333

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Mononoke homebrew Guide, FAQ, And quick rules cheatsheet
pastebin.com/u/HomebrewAnon

Going in order, starting with Scion.

Scions are those that are descended from ancient demi-gods, hero's, and other fantastical being without actually being something less human. The easiest way to put it is if you were a distant relative to hercules, as an example.

Darkstalkers are Vampires, werewolves, western monsters basically. You are descended from them and retain some of their traits, chief among them being destructive power and special abilities. Basically, we're talking exactly the same as the darkstalkers video game.

Hanyou are the opposite. These are those descended from youkai, like kitsune or tanuki's. These guys tend to excel in luck based stuff, half on basis of their nature and half on basis of their wit. If you've ever watched nurarihyon no mago, its storyline features what would be a hanyou as the main character.

Continuing on with Magus, these are people who come from distinguished families of mages, witches, onmyoudo users, shinto priests, anything thats hereditary and magic. They don't actually have any physical discrepancies, but they are much more adept at magic.

Humans are....well, humans. You got a shard by accident, by quest, by gift, however you wrap it you were a regular dude Pre-Awakening. They're usually fairly above average, but always suck ass in one area at least.

Dragon lords are, for lack of a better term, part dragon. Whether you just have immense dragon mana like Saber from Fate, or if you are actually descended from a dragon, you have immense spirit energy and prodigal control over it.

Divine spirits are an important type of being in kamigakari. In this case you are part divine creature, or maybe even fully divine creature. You are directly opposed to aramitama. Where-as aramitama are chaos and destruction incarnate, you are more inclined towards order and peace. Gods of the land, certain youkai, and great spirits all fall under this.

Heroic spirits are the summoned incarnations of hero's past. Earlier i made the example of being descended from hercules, but here you would actually be hercules, minus a great deal of power level. Famous and powerful people from across history all could fit into this race. Just try to keep the genderbending shit to a minimum.

Cyborgs are cyborgs. This one doesn't need much explanation. You are an augmented person, filled to the brim with mechanical goodies of all sorts. Thrusters, engine's, hidden weapons, powerful modes are all things a cyborg is capable of having.

The Demon eye'd are exactly what they sound like. A race with special abilities relating to their eye's. Whether this is the ability to turn people to stone, or see the lines of death, your eye's carry a special ability all their own.

Lastly is the marebito. These ones are the hardest to define. They are beings from another world, or rather, a parallel dimension world. These are powerful beings that are equivalent to the highest powers in their respective homes, and have presumably come to challenge others. Any isekai anime or crossover fighter bullshit is basically what a marebito is.

These are the eleven races found in kamigakari as of yet. I'm waiting on an eldritch abomination race like saya, but thats a pipe dream.

So, which of these races most tickles your fancy? Which one seems the most boring to you? I'd bet human, but you never know.

One fun fact though, hsien-ko would probably fall more under hanyou rather than darkstalker, despite being in a game with the same name.

Actually, this would be a better example of the race diversity in kamigakari.

Thanks for the summaries!

No Problem, i figure having em around helps people to make the decision

Races/Styles offer a LOT of variation

It does. From the sound of things I might like demon eye or darkstalker/hanyou, aside from human.

How often do expansions come around for this game?

I couldn't give you a timeframe. I know theres a sixth expansion out, but kamigakari user has yet to translate it.

So far as how often they come out at all, i dont have any clue. One did come out in early august, if i recall correctly

Do any of the expansions out contain useful info on the world?

That depends on what you mean by useful

Technically speaking, i'd call sanctums "Useful information on the world", and those are gone over in the first expac. The first expac also has some information regarding a race called "The Unclean" which is basically what happens when two god hunters go at it and the kid ends up with traits of both of their races. Usually its one or the other race, but The Unclean are powerful mixed breeds.

The Second expansion has some sections filled out about two of the Awakened factions, the black eagle group and the hei long, which is basically the chinese mafia.

Its really just a matter of Kamigakari user hammering out the translations. From what i've seen he has been working on it, despite not coming to thread.

Well, don't tell me that. Tell the poll

Well well. I expected humans to be the lowest, yet apparently at least a couple people like vanilla as their favorite flavor.

Ain't nothin wrong with that.

Any idea on whats in the sixth expansion?

If i remember correctly, its mostly GM stuff, with eldritch monsters and replays for them.

Don't quote me on that though, i heard this off hand like, a month and a half ago.

GM stuff is cool though.

Oh dont' get me wrong, GM stuff is great.

I was just hoping for A cool race or class to go with it.

After reading through the rules a few times. There are several things I have to ask:

- Where can I find the rules for weapons with multiple forms? the Core book mentioned that it will be present in future materials but thats about it.

- How hard is it for one to die in the game? From the way how it seems to be phrased the enemy needs to use 3 whole turns just to kill someone (HP 0 downed -> taken out -> killed), vital ignition and multiple attack actions aside.

- Since you can use an item for both the [prep] and [attack] actions, does that mean you can use 2 items in a turn?

- I'm not too clear with regards to [Engaged]. Does it happen automatically once 2 opposing units are adjacent to one another and cant be broken unless disengage or a telent to ignore it?

- What exactly is the range of [Area] attacks? I see some abilities changing a physical attack to [Area] and some weapons that also target areas. Is it a "target as many things as you like in range" kind of thing?

>Rules for weapons with multiple forms

Couldn't tell ya. I haven't seen a weapon with multiple forms yet. Might be in one of the later expansions.

Its very hard to get killed. Like you said, minimum 3 turns assuming you down someone and they don't get revived. But to even kill someone you'd need to take down the spirit barrier. You can't kill a godhunter inside a spirit barrier, to my knowledge. Even if they would gain [Shift: Dead] it would instead be [Shift:Taken out]

Yes. 3 items if you take Dark hunter A and Shadow Tool.

Correct. However, if a being of size 2 has declared engaged (Stopped in their tracks) 2 people that turn, then a 3rd person could run past without getting engaged. Basically, if at the end of your movement you are adjacent to another, you are engaged. Declaring engaged forces you to end movement in such a spot.

The range of area attacks is anyone that's in an engagement. Whether 2 or 10 people, in any sort of shape, if they are in an engagement the entire engagement can be targeted by area attacks.

Oh shit, i forgot to mention that Shift:Flight lets you avoid engagements unless you engage yourself.

Here's a question for the people voting darkstalker.

How many of you are voting it because you waifu someone from the game of the same name?

I don't even know anything about this but I love whenever the OP inage is used b3cause irs awesome.

Hey, there ain't anything wrong with that. There's a reason i use the official art for the OP's.

Its all pretty good, and the cyborg maid girl is one of the better ones.

Man, I really like cybermaids.

Agreed.

Frankly, combat maids in general are pretty cool.

Y'know, i have a distinct lack of combat maids. i think this is the only other one i have.

Fuck, i have a distinct lack of anything specific, lets be real here.

If anyone has any, they'd be appreciated.

Actually, fuck. What am i talking about. I made a mononoke based on the robot girls from koukaku no pandora.

Shit, i'm fucking retarded.

>Through some method, an Aramitama forms a contract of souls with a person to fulfill a wish (I want a pepperoni pizza"
>They name a cost in souls and grant the person "immense power" to carry out the harvest (I'll take the souls of everyone who called pizza boring!)
>After collecting the amount required, the contractee has their wish granted and likely falls into despair over the methods used (I shouldn't have killed all of those people to get a pizza)
>The Aramitama steals their soul and body and repeats the process elsewhere
Is that correct? What is the power the Aramitama grants the person?

Your examples are weird, but more or less correct.

The power it grants people is probably related to the aramitama in question. A fire based aramitama would probably give fire based power, as an example.

>If they are in an engagement the entire engagement can be targeted by area attacks

Lets say i am one one side of the map and my ally is on the other end of the map and both of us are engaging 2 enemies. Am i right to assume that, with an area attack i can target all 4 enemies?

I don't think so. I think you can target one engagement and hit everyone in that specific engagement. Not everybody who is engaged with something.
I could be wrong, though.

No. That isn't "AN Engagement" thats "Two Engagements"

Each engagement is a target unto itself.

Does that mean if i ever want to perform area attacks i will need to hit all targets in the engagement? Even allies?

Nope, you can selectively ignore anyone in an engagement.

Which is a weird thought, but its better than friendly firing your allies to death.

Gotta say. the poll is a lot more even then i thought it was gonna be.

Rather, i'm more surprised the ones with no votes don't have any.

Are there any rules written if a pc wishes to use another pc as his mount? Pic somewhat related

Does another thing like the sample episode exist? I'd like more examples of play and reading that and the stories that have been posted has worked so far

Uh. No. Of all the things i've heard considered, thats one of the few i can say with certainty was never brought up in the rules.

Neat concept, but since only legacy user B could get into a mech to start with, and thats an expansion style, there's no such rules to my knowledge.

I think there is more stuff like that in the expansions, but none of its translated to my knowledge.

Kamigakari user focused mostly on player options when translating, and only did the GM stuff for expac one because of the lack of balance caused by contractor without the options for GMs from the same book.

>Human being that high

Huh.

So for those of you that have picked human, i'd like to hear your reasoning for that. I never once expected human to take the lead, let alone against the other options in the game, so i'd like to know why you guys chose human as the most appealing.

I mean, i'd like to know why anyone chose anything, but human is the odd man out here.

Theres always something endearing about the underdog who wins the day through sheer hard work and guts.

>Theres always something endearing about the underdog who wins the day through sheer hard work and guts.

As much as i can agree to that, i still find it odd that human has the most votes.

Is it really the underdog factor?

Its either that or it just so happens the sample group really likes vanilla

Yeah, thats possible too. I will make a vanilla character for a new system, just because vanilla is simplest usually, but i wouldn't really say it appeals to me.

Still, i do hold the belief that if you can't roleplay vanilla, you probably can't roleplay at all. Exceptions do occur, yes, but in general i believe that options don't make a character interesting, but how those options are used and portrayed.

Sometimes vanilla is just what you need

What styles would you stat Travis Touchdown with? A no more heroes game could be fun

Considering the maximum amount of damage one can do based on dice is 100, what's the highest damage one can attain for the static modifiers? Do you prefer building towards static damage or increasing your rank as high as possible?

Legacy user a / God hand b easy.

>not a single vote for dragons or demon eyes
Honestly a little surprising.

Gonna be honest, i have no clue what the absolute highest is at the moment for static damage. I don't think anyones bothered to figure that math out yet.

So far as whether to build towards PD or Rank though, PD Will on average give you more Damage per turn. Its less swingy than dice damage, making it much more reliable.

I'm gonna count as sort of a pseudo vote for demon eye'd, but yeah. Its really surprising that the idea of eye based powers or being part dragon don't appeal the most to someone.

I also find it weird that human is in the lead though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Have a cute tengu

So, uh.
What exactly is the Kamigakari and why haven't I heard of this thing before?

>what is the kamigakari

Anime-style monster of the week shenanigans with a focus on rule of cool over autistic rules-lawyering. Simple but deep, rather than in-depth and retarded to handle.

As for why you haven't heard of it, probably because you are blind. I have a thread up for half of every week for the past several months.

man i coulda worded that better. Didn't mean to come off as a dick. Haven't slept right for a few days.

Get a body pillow, it'll fix your sleep right up! not really though

Do you build NPCs as though they are monokes or do you go through the whole pc creation with them?

It depends. Mononoke for minions, maybe a PC build for "important" people

Comfort isn't the issue. Been busy clearing out a garage for the past several days.

Technically speaking, in the core rules there's no way to "Build" mononoke. So if you wanted something flexible, you'd need to make an NPC godhunter, which there is rules for.

However, the thread starter user made a guide for homebrewing mononoke up to level 5, so you can use that.

sorry, i should mention that there are rules for altering mononoke into aramitama or bosses, just not for creating mononoke outright.

Is there any more info on Arachne materials?

Anyone have a form fillable version of the character sheet?

Have you tried making a copy of the one in the op?

Sometimes i wonder if people even read the OP pastes.

None that i'm aware of user.

I miss the storytime GM from the last couple threads. I wonder what happened to him this week.

Actually, marebito would be what Saya is.

Marebito are essentially the same thing as the original meaning of derro (derogotory robots), alien beings living within the earth that do terrible and mischievious things to humans from deep underground, affecting their minds and driving them mad.

>Marebito are visitors from another world or multiverse. They are either "chosen ones" born to carve out a future for their own worlds, or "renegades of fate" who have gained great power. Therefore, Marebito almost without exception are Awakened, and those that could be classified as Godhunters are hostile to Aramitama and hate their very existence, and it seems as though no few number of them have escaped to this world due to their own worlds being destroyed by an Aramitama.

No where in this does it imply anything eldritch. In fact, it pretty distinctly implies humanoids.

Marebito are isekai characters

Is Utility just meant to be an "inbetween" the other two stat spreads?

The thing about japanese is that their etymology is weird and their words can have several distinct meanings based on context.

Marebito is formed of the words for "Rare" and either "Person" or "Spirit". While one version, for example for the movie of the same name, can be what you said, the version used here is using the "Rare Person" and traditional mythological meaning one who comes from afar and bring wisdom, spiritual knowledge, and happiness.

In other words, literally "A rare and wise person from a far"

Generally, yeah.

If memory serves, some items and equipment are locked to utility, so there is that to consider as well.

I recall someone saying that there was more information out on the factions, or at least a Demon Hunter's Society writeup that existed. But It doesn't seem to be in the expansions. Have I been misled?

I only said there was more information on blackeagle group, and Heilong. I never said anything about any other faction.

Well, for starters, their stats fit well with what i wanted.

But mostly because this game already gives you 213412312321 powers through your styles, and human gives you mostly passive improvements.

That way i only have to note them, i will never have to go through the "oh, i had this one skill that was designed specifically to counter what just happened but i forgot i had it because i have 50 skills".

I hate when that happens.

To be fair, i would say at least a third of the style abilities are all passives as well. And while you do get a good deal of stuff by the end of it, you get it all over time, very slowly, so its not terribly complicated either.

Simplicity is sometimes best though, i can agree with that.

Realizing you were doing shit the hard way just sucks

While we're on the subject of the poll, Human is in the lead, followed by Cyborg and Hanyou in 2nd and 3rd, at 6, 5, and 4 votes respectively.

Never in my wildest dreams did i think human would actually do this well.

What's the biggest Mononoke you've seen?

I only got to play two games, but the largest one i saw was a modified version of the red dog dude from one of the samples

If we're talking straight core, then the largest mononoke are size 4, between 8 and 15 meters tall. Despite the size scale going up to 5, there is nothing in core that can reach that unless homebrewed.

In the first expansion, though, there are 8 mononoke of size 5, which is 15 Meters and up.

They are, in no particular order
>Mizuchi
>Nanunokami
>Fusouju No wakagi
>Funadama
>Daidarabotchi
>Gashadokuro
>Young Peng
>Umibouzu

I think the guy meant in the course of gameplay

Currently, Human and cyborg are tied with 6 votes each, Hanyou is just behind with 5, and the rest are behind with 3 or less.

Dragon lord and demon eye'd both finally got a vote. I expected at least demon eye'd to be more popular.

Gotta say, this is pretty interesting. Cyborg i expected to be near the top, cyborgs are rad as fuck, but i didn't expect hanyou or human to do nearly as well as they did.

Hanyou is sort of a weird thing to think about for us westerners, and humans are just plain vanilla, so i expected that to sway the vote away from them, but i was apparently wrong.

What kind of genres could you conceivably not play with Kamigakari?

Its mostly down to the DM's ability to portray them, honestly. If they can set up the setting itself correctly, the system can facilitate most kinds of play.

It would probably struggle the most with sci-fi and horror though. Sci-fi in that you would need to homebrew a fair amount of crunch and fluff, like being in space and how that would work, and horror in that the system focus' on high-power shenanigans. Its not supposed to be built around the powerlessness that accompanies most horror settings.

If you can work through those issues though, it could conceivably work with most genre's. Its more about how creative you can get than what it can or can't handle, really.

Actually, i'm gonna add slice of life to this.

The system has basically no downtime rules because it assumes that between events is something you don't care about. During events, it assumes you only go to rest when off-screen so to speak.

So yeah, it probably wouldn't handle slice of life stuff very well either.

Player to the weekly storytime GM here. He's running a lot of slice of life in the "real world" part of the campaign, but I can confirm that the system is absolutely not intended for it. We haven't rolled dice in a couple sessions.