/STG/ - Star Trek General

This one's for you, Novabro Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page/Living Campaign rescources
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/0718
youtu.be/BoXu6QmxpJE
youtu.be/JGeQKZyDVpc
youtu.be/MDX0u5EF0T8
youtu.be/ywvdc1NtXm4
youtu.be/Gylqox5sLw4
youtu.be/WeyTV0dWG3Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for T'Kuvma did nothing wrong.

Alright, so things we've established.
>The ship is nominally called the USS Sparrow
>she's operating in the aftermath of the Dominion war
>Her mission profile is to conduct a
"gaseous anomaly survey" of the Romulan Neutral zone
>definitely not to spy on the Romulans, that would be absurd
>no hot bedding, just lots of bunks for everybody but the senior staff.
>crew has been selected carefully to ensure the least amount of infighting
>only crew member made so far is an unnamed Orion Councillor
>she's on pheromone suppressor and generally a happy-go-lucky camp councillor type

The Chief of Security is an old-school, female Caitian named Cho'ma. There's not a whole lot for her to do due to the size of the Sparrow and the mission, so she wages a private war on a Tellarian Rat infestation in the Jefferies tubes and EPS conduits.

There's a Section 31 operative on board, but he's actually just a normal low-priority Ensign and he's managed to get a total of jack all done outside of his official ship duties.

Chief engineer is a dolphin with robot hands. Because of this, all of engineering and the Jefferies tubes are flooded. There is a "Dry Engineering" department for everything else, but most of their time is spent fixing leaking bulkheads.

Character I've thought up.
Lieutenant Daer Antos
Specialty in Stellar Analysis and Cartography.
Bajoran
Daer joined Starfleet 2 years before the liberation of Bajor. Despite lacklustre scores in core modules, cadet Daer was progressed into the science stream of the academy, one of numerous supposed "charity cases" that Starfleet pushed into a Uniform, regardless of competency.
He continued to struggle with basic ship operation and mandatory cross-vocation training but excelled in stellar cartography. Graduating a year after Bajoran liberation, Ensign Daer spent an uneventful year onboard the USS Venture as a junior member of their Stellar cartography unit. He was always more than proficient at his work but failed to apply himself outside of it. After a mandatory year tour, he requested transfer back to a station. He was assigned to Starbase 77, over Betazed, as part of a surveillance initiative against the Cardassians and, eventually, the Dominion.
Daer saw out the war with only 1 combat operation, during the invasion of Betazed.
He had hoped to get another assignment aboard a station. However Lieutenant Daer soon found himself on his way to the Sparrow. Good, qualified officers are few and far between these days. And with the delicate nature of the Sparrow's mission, Starfleet wants an officer with surveillance experience on hand.
Daer Antos is friendly enough. Not particularly religious, having grown up in Federation space, he finds interactions with other Bajorans awkward.
Despite his obvious talent for stellar analysis, Antos continues to be effectively incompetent at most other tasks. Not really a problem for someone in such a niche position, but he's self conscious about it.

I thought all Dolphins were navigators. And given the tendency of things to overheat/expel large amounts of arcing electricity around engineering, I feel like the dolphin engineer would be boiled alive very quickly.

The chief science officer is a human scientist from Atlanta, and he really does mostly just want to study gaseous anomalies and has little interest in the Romulan stuff.

He keeps on trying to get assigned to high priority missions so he can gather information and influence events. He thinks the reason he isn't getting assignments is because the senior staff are on to him. They actually all just think he's far too eager to impress and he'd probably be a liability on away missions.

There are three Trill on board and they're all sort-of the same person. What happened was one Trill fell into a temporal anomaly, which split him into a present and two past hosts. Somehow through unknown means, the symbiote is in all three at the same and is aware of everything that all three experience. The "present" Trill is a lieutenant j.g. in one of the science departments, another was a civilian technician so they're an engineering crewman, and the third was a chef so they're in charge of the mess halls. While none of them are super significant individually, the status of the symbiote as a living temporal anomaly means it's easy for information to be relayed across the ship. That said, it's not a good idea to bring any of them together because they have a tendency to bicker with each other.

Crewman Richard Gray is the junior Transporter Operator. This is his first assignment. His bunk mates are nice. He gets on well with the other 2 dedicated transporter officers and the rest of Engineering. His one problem is that he has the serious hots for the Orion councillor.
At first, Richie though her pheromone suppressors must be faulty. He checked with the doctor and found that there's absolutely no trace of Orion pheromones in his blood.
So Richie tries to avoid her as much as possible, which is effectively impossible on such a small ship. Richie might be a pink skin, but his balls are bluer than an Andorian.

Wow. So I'm working my way through 700 of the Star Trek novels. Currently on the Enterprise era novel: Kobayashi Maru. Archer has to duel a Klingon Admiral Krell to the death for reasons. Afterward they're reattaching Krell's arm in a Klingon hospital and Phlox mistakenly assumes the grief stricken female at his bedside is the Admiral's wife. Turns out to be his sister and the Klingon doctor performing the surgery is his Husband.
Just random gay Klingons lol

Might be easier and safer to give Lt. Commander Darwin an exosuit.

one possible idea ive got is this:
>Chief Engineer was one of the original Developers of the nova class
>Brought on board due to their knowledge of the ships systems and construction
>still chafes that the ship, originally built as a candidate for the defiant class of battleships, was, in their words, "relegated to be a glorified
flying chemistry set".

I was pondering for a while if openly gay Klingons would be reasonable in their canonical society. Going by established information, there's not really much to say. Their society may be accepting of it in a classical manner aka you're alright as long as you top and still bother to have kids at some point. Or quite against it, might mess with rules of succession and so on.

And so my brain went on, trying to find examples in canon that might give a clue. All that came to a halt when an incidental phase in another thread reminded me of the following:

SHOW ME YOUR HONOR!

So yeah, openly gay Klingons, why the fuck not.

It probably would only matter to the leaders of houses because they need an heir to pass along their lineage. Average random Klingon soldier probably doesn't matter as much

The Admiral in question was the patriarch of a recently dishonored house. He was the Admiral Archer purposefully infected with the augment-virus. He had a smooth forehead. His lover was also a doctor which at the time wasn't a profession klingon's held in the highest esteem.

Don't know how canon it is, but late-game STO had a Klingon scientist who's mate was a female security officer

Anything STO is pretty much canon only to STO. And sometimes not even then given how they occasionally remove and retcon bits.

Since no one's tried to define the Captain yet, here's some ideas of varying silliness:

1. Lwaxana Troi's much younger cousin.
2. A Gorn with tons of scars and a non-standard skin/scale hue
3. The Emergency Command Hologram (assuming Voyager's made it back)
4. A homebrew species that meets Veeky Forums's monstergirl quota
5. An otherwise unremarkable human
6. A bearded Vulcan who's tired of everyone's shit

A Romulan Intelligence operative under cover as a Vulcan who knows the true mission is to spy on Romulan territory so he tries to scan inconsequential areas of space but keeps accidentally revealing hidden Tal Shiar installations by complete fluke because the Tal Shiar doesn't tell anyone else dick.

I vote for a vulcan Emergency Command Hologram.

A Mr Potatohead as Captain because the real one had wibbley time bullshit happen at some point, but they'll know he'll be back and the first officer is unwilling to take their place (making Riker's slow promotion look comparatively fast) and Star Fleet simply hasn't gotten around to assigning them a new one yet.

>Jeezus FUCK, that's something anything short of a cruiser wouldn't want to see!
The only way the K't'inga/D7 could look any more intimidating (from the front, at least) would be if it had a pair of red-lit forward-facing launch bays on the main hull to either side of the "neck"...heck, if those replace the aft shuttlebay then she can fit big D5-style impulse engines for maximum awesome!

>so she wages a private war on a Tellarian Rat infestation
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Is it really? Cardassian voles must top your list of things that are stupid as well.

>Blocks your Path Because the engine stalled and it can't move.jpg

One side, scrub

What you fail to realize is that my ship is dragging mines.

You mean those things that infested a travel hub with daily commutes? No that's not even stupid. Despite being banned from the system there's no reason to disbelieve they'd be smuggled on to the checkpoint between two quadrants. Totally plausible, but completely unrelated to a Starfleet science vessel "surveying gaseous anomalies"

>MFW voted third worst ship in Starfleet

>Despite being banned from the system there's no reason to disbelieve they'd be smuggled on to the checkpoint between two quadrants
That's a funny way of saying planted by salty Cardassians

Critique my design /stg/

Oh boy! I can't wait to see this in CBS Premium Streaming Service Star Trek Discovery!

DS9 is an enormous travel hub.
A Nova class is a small ship which, most importantly, undergoes a periodic baryon sweep, which destroys all organic matter. Even if a rat or two managed to stow away, there certainly wouldn't be any food lying around for it to eat, unless it can eat from the element tanks.

Furthermore, 31 thinks he's a liability because he's such an eager beaver, and will only activate him as a last resort.

So what was this? An android or a helmet?

Also isn't Discovery Pre-borg? So what's this thing?

G E O R G I A
P E A C H E S

We will never know because STD only cares about Commander Mary Sue and her tragic adventures that you plebs can't possibly understand because you aren't half Vulcan!

>Chief Science officer is human
This will not do

A Lantessen brain worm.

I mean if Redhead & Science Officer "How the fuck did my Species become Sentient" are returning surely Daft Punk can too

Who was the science officer on VOY?

I see breasts, so I want to say helmet. Also if STD is Prime continuity then they can't have any robotic characters.

There wasn't one. They were on a attack mission. VOY is the only series without a Science Officer, all the rest have a non-human filling the roll

While JJ isn't Prime obviously, they had that disco android on the bridge in Darkness

Kim, I think.

Doesn't the person at Ops fill that role most of the time? Meaning that only the larger ships have actual dedicated science officers.

>Science Officer "How the fuck did my Species become Sentient"
That could actually be a cool storyline. Like, a species followed a different tech path and got gene tech before warp and made sentient food animals because it's the height of decadence, but the in the ENT era the USS Dogooder showed up and freed them food animals with a big speech about sentient rights and shit backed up by the threat of orbital bombardment, and after he went on to his next adventure Starfleet was stuck babysitting a bunch of annoying goddamn cowards and were a little more willing to entertain the Vulcan's suggestions not to fuck around with pre-warp civs.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/0718

According to his actor Lieutenant 0718 isn't actually an android but a human with cybernetic enhancements. I've read it and it's all kinds of just wrong.

meant for

I thought about something similar to this at one time while doing a generic fantasy setting where the only contact men had with Elves was when they sailed over to pillage them. But they also ate them too because fuck them they're not elves. It was a horror kind of deal taking influence from berserk, black company 7 other dark & gritty works so being eaten just seemed natural.

Unfortunately I couldn't really reconcile why they'd view men as wealthy enough to pillage and below them enough to eat them, but not just outright conquer or enslave them either. I had thought to make them just dismissive of men and view them as worthless slaves since they weren't elves and obviously a pretty poor delicacy so not worth farming. But basic economics doesn't work that way so it kind of fizzled out before I could use it.

Anyway a similar problem relates to Science Officer "How the fuck did my Species become Sentient" in that his people wouldn't just be hunted if the scenario you proposed be the case. They'd also enslave them and force them into labour. The only way they stay as the sentient food species is if the ruling species that uplifted them had replicator or very advanced drone technology. All the while being warp capable.

That means Science Officer "How the fuck did my Species become Sentient" is either
A) not a part of a species that is a Federation member, he himself being like the Bajorans who joined Starfleet while Bajor was still under Cardassian control
B) His species was recently given membership after being freed from their oppressors.

B is less likely since it would either mean the ruling species gave up rulership to join the Federation (unlikely) or was defeated by the Federation (not really their style to declare offensive wars)

Thinking about it. Yeah his species could have a really cool background if that's the case. Because I see no way at all for it to occur without genetic uplifting.

>That pic
youtu.be/BoXu6QmxpJE

>enslave them
Lifespan. An elf would need to replace a human slave hundreds of times in his lifetime, just to keep a job position filled. That's like getting maybe 2 months of labor per slave, while also raising a replacement. By the time the replacement is ready, you have to start raising the next one.

I think I saw blood and heard "get to the medbay", so probably helmet.

While looking up that dude I found some pics of the Star Trek Into Darkness Bridge crew so I'm going to post them because I really liked that about the movie. They were... aesthetic I guess.

There's more of this one than available then any of the others. Her character isn't even named while the Android & Navigator were, but this one has more pics than any of the others

>55569481

Black guy at the back & hispanic guy next to the platinum blonde have barely any pictures

>They were... aesthetic I guess.
I think memorable, or at least noticable would be a better term. The camera pays attention to the Navigator & android a fair bit while the pixie cut is in a lot of shots so you just notice them

Now we have to guess why she was wearing the helmet.

Why did the helmet have a display screen facing outward? For what purpose?

>Unfortunately I couldn't really reconcile why they'd view men as wealthy enough to pillage and below them enough to eat them
DECADENCE

Why are there lights on the front of a tricorder where the user can't see them?

No that part I was fine with, it was the "If they're already doing that, why not just conquer or enslave them too" part I had trouble with

See in dark spaces? For the benefit of whomever it's being pointed at?

That's a pretty different question than a helmet. It's not like she's advertising Starfleet Cola

So... Does Starfleet not have rules against attaching explosives to corpses that are being recovered? Because nobody mentioned how that might be against the rules. I feel like that would be against the rules

Cybernetics aren't exclusive to the Borg.

Sure they can. It just has to be of alien origin. TOS had plenty of androids.

The thing Discovery has that actually shouldn't exist yet is Klingon ships that can cloak.

>The thing Discovery has that actually shouldn't exist yet is Klingon ships that can cloak.
This is true, but shouldn't they also not have ships the size of the memorial & trireme? The trireme is way too big for the time period, even as a one off

Every time I see a Constellation class I start thinking about pizza.

>Platinum blonde/white hair

That is my fetish.

Desperate times? That did look very un-Starfleet-like.

Why weren't their phasers set to stun when they went to very specifically not kill the big Klingon man?

The Pixie cut too makes it 11/10

TOS era Starfleet is very different from TNG era Starfleet.

>Why weren't their phasers set to stun when they went to very specifically not kill the big Klingon man?
Micheal's was. She set it to red (kill) when T'Kuvma killed the Captain. You see her switch settings.

Wasn't Seven essentially the unofficial science officer?

>Why weren't their phasers set to stun when they went to very specifically not kill the big Klingon man?

They were. Mikey got pissed and very deliberately turned her phaser to kill when she picked it back up.

Remember how the Kelvin timeline phasers had the little thing in front that flipped around? It was blue for stun and red for kill. Same thing with these phasers; there's an indicator light on the back that the user can easily see. It was blue when they beamed onto the ship, and when Mikey picked the gun back up, she hit a control, the light turned red, she shot him, and he died instead of just falling over.

I just came across this. I think it has potential

youtu.be/JGeQKZyDVpc
youtu.be/MDX0u5EF0T8
youtu.be/ywvdc1NtXm4
youtu.be/Gylqox5sLw4
youtu.be/WeyTV0dWG3Q

It feels like a war crime

>The thing Discovery has that actually shouldn't exist yet is Klingon ships that can cloak.
Yeah, but that was a special one off. He was even bragging about it to the other klingon house leaders, or whatever. It was just dropped into the show like "Oh, hey. Look at what my ship just so happens to have."

Honestly, I think Discovery did a pretty good job of making its plot issues not seem like such a big deal, just by the way it was paced or something. Contrast this with JJ Trek where it was difficult for me to look past the holes. Granted JJ Trek's issues were bigger, but I still think JJ Trek did a better job with what it had. Of course, flaws are flaws, and they still hurt the show.

>Desperate times? That did look very un-Starfleet-like.
I mean, you had a senseless mutiny in the very first episode, so I worry that STD is going to follow JJ Trek's over-the-top-drama, fuck-reasonableness approach. I will say, however, that next to JJ Trek shit like the mutiny was comparatively low key. Just think of how amped up and ridiculous the Spock / Kirk confrontations in JJ Trek were. So maybe STD will follow JJ Trek's substance, but will execute it with a bit more finesse. At the very least, there's nobody I want to strangle as much as JJ Kirk. I know Burnham has gotten flack for being unlikable, but she's nowhere near the petulant cock-monkey Pine's Kirk was.

The Kazon are less advanced than TOS Federation and yet have some of the biggest non-Borg ships in Star Trek. I figure gigantic ships are not normally built because they're an impractical use of resources rather than being beyond the technical capabilities of the Federation or Klingons.

Now THIS is Constellation Posting

How do I spruce up an encounter with Orion pirates/slavers in an STA game? Anything particularly cool or interesting I could/should do?

Pepperoni and mushrooms? That's a pretty low-tier refit.

Don't female Orions have the ability to basically mind charm men?

Larger ships means you're probably putting out fewer total ships. You're also increasing risk, as the loss of one big ship would impact the fleet much more than the loss of a small ship. What it really comes down to is balancing the capabilities of an individual ship versus the need to cover more area and provide redundancy.