Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What are some of your favorite quirks to add to villages or settlements?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1R1ciOvRgD0jD3jFiakb0A2vV_a2jAXzLp-BSjpl0J_c/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/storm-soul/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are there any games wherein you think the DM could've done a better job of picks?

Rise of the Jade Regent, Dragons 2 and probably that's it.

>RotJR
>Dragons 2

C'mon, share your thuoghts user.

we need to go deeper

Ok, watching Kingdom of Heaven for inspiration left more questions than answers:

1. Can a bastard inherit his father's (who doesn't have any legitimate heir left) title and land, and would other nobles recognize him as a noble heir?

2. Would bastard be able to be a king when he marry a heir of the throne without invoking a civil war for claim of the throne?

>Can a bastard inherit his father's (who doesn't have any legitimate heir left) title and land, and would other nobles recognize him as a noble heir?

Only if the child is legitimized before witnesses, and even then the stain of being a bastard will follow them for all their days.

>Would bastard be able to be a king when he marry a heir of the throne without invoking a civil war for claim of the throne?

He could, but as you said a civil war is inevitable.

i'm going to share my autistic homebrew again

docs.google.com/document/d/1R1ciOvRgD0jD3jFiakb0A2vV_a2jAXzLp-BSjpl0J_c/edit?usp=sharing

>docs.google.com/document/d/1R1ciOvRgD0jD3jFiakb0A2vV_a2jAXzLp-BSjpl0J_c/edit?usp=sharing

That's pretty autistic, you faggot.

Hmm, would a child still be a bastard when he is born illegimatedly at birth, but his father and mother gets legally married later?

Yes. "Bastard" means "born out of wedlock". What the parents do afterwards is irrelevant, though I imagine most people would just gloss over that whole thing at that point.

what the fuck is this class even supposed to be.

if you're going to post homebrew at least explain what it is.

Looks like a bad magus archetype to me.

thanks

Guild wars mesmer

Hey /pfg/. My friends got me into playing RPGs a few months ago and I’ve been having fun as a player. Our group takes turns running short campaigns and since I have been new to the game they haven’t had me run a game yet since I was still learning the rules. I’ve read the rule book and game mastery book so I know how to run the game enough to handle most of mechanics we may run into but I’m absolutely shit at coming up with stories.

The thing is I really want to run a game one day but I have no idea how to start making an adventure. At first I was making maps but quickly realized I had no real story to bring the players there or I made too many rooms and don’t have enough material to keep the players interested in exploring. Aside from saying something like “Oh I’d like my players to fight an Aboleth” or some other monster, then I usually come up blank to how the players would end up there.

How do you guys go about making a campaign? What are some good ways to create stories or encounters that can keep the players entertained? I feel like such a shit player for not being able to think of anything to start a small campaign with.

Are fey creatures an overused antagonist type?

Nope. Undead are the most used.

Honestly making a campaign from scratch is -really hard-. Especially for a first timer, you've gotta be passionate

I'd recommend looking at a module from Paizo, see if one speaks to you and that you can build off of

Absolutely not, in fact Fey are quite rare as antagonists. Outsiders > Undead >Humanoids > Dragons is probably the order for most common.

Probably the type with the fewest antagonists is Animal.

Only because its hard to make an unintelligent beast a big enemy

You could make it a REALLY BIG animal.

Yeah but thats usually a magical beast

What would be Gimli's alignment?

Okay fine, TWO really big animals.

Lawful Neutral.

realistically, you'd need something like the Hessian Lobo

What if it's an E3 campaign and the beast is the mythical White Lion of Taldor?

What does elven underwear looks like?

why even build the roof
you are already under the cliff

why is the tower leaning away from the cliff

did the cliff suddenly sneak up on the castle?

why are there adult pine trees growing in the shade of the cliff

I may have to do that. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something to last at least 5 or 6 sessions but I keep getting blanks. I can think of an antagonist or goal to accomplish but the stuff that happens between the boss fight and the start of the campaign is giving me the most trouble.

>elves
>underwear

nice joke

How do I go about it?

I tend to start building a world. I make a few kingdoms, their relations, their gods... Then maybe I draw a map for it.

Depending on scope, I then build a big-bad, set up his plan and why he's doing it. Say, the Lich-King of an ancient empire who wants to reclaim his throne, ruling over the continent. He originally fell from power due to a combination of factors including a rebellion and sealing away the fucking apocalypse, so slaying him will unleash the end of the world.

For you, I'd start small. Early on, people don't expect a huge overarching narrative. So just concentrate on making a fun adventure. Set up a few conflict rooms with some sort of twist, instead of just "oh, here's 4 hobgoblins for you to fight," try something like, "Here are a group of hobgoblins shirking guard duty to play poker, on their first turn they shout an alarm and flip their table for cover, picking up their weapons." and after a bit, if they party is doing well, have a few more show up, or have the surviving ones fall back to another encounter.

Say that they're there to reclaim some items of value stolen by the hobgoblins from a shipment for the local lord, and it turns out to be something they wouldn't have thought worth their time, like a small animal or a single piece of jewelry, but they also find among the loot of the hobs something that could set up the Aboleth encounter for a later session.

The thing about GMing is that it is about 30% planning, 40% Improv, and 30% making things seem like you had planned them all along. Like say you mention a few specific items in the loot, well each of those could be literally nothing, or they could be the seeds of a future plot/sidequest hook.

Alright. The improv's going to be the hardest part for me. I've always been bad at pulling ideas out of my ass. Hopefully once I get some practice I'll get better the more I play. Thanks for the advice.

Are you asking for games with apps that should have gotten in but didn't or games that I wish had better apps to pick from?

yes

Both.

RotJR for the first

LoBaF and maybe Ensoulment for the second.

I mean you have to remember that the second RotJR game wasn't really in the cards during the app process

As a class and not as a roleplay experience, what are the major criticisms of paladins? Looking simply at the mechanics of the class without any feats, special races, or equipment, what are the flaws and what needs to be improved (where should those feats and gold go to)?

What ways can I qualify as an orc/half-orc while being a human? The Orc Bloodline for Sorcerers is the only way that I know of. Is there any others?

Depends on what you want to qualify for.

If you're willing to spend a feat Racial Heritage covers pretty much everything.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage/

Smite, while powerful, can only be used about 7 times a day at most, especially since there isn't a chain challenge equivalent, unless you count oath of the seeker, but you unfortunately need to be a dwarf for that one. This means that they only get their bonus to attack and damage against up to 7 targets a day. As much as I love paladins, I would much rather have a much smaller, but more consistent, bonus to hit and damage that's on constantly.

Did we ever getting greentext from intrigue?

Fuck, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Honestly, Paladins are pretty well-rounded with good defences(save for touch AC), decent offensive when not smiting and one of the highest DPR in the game when smiting. Their only real weakness is the lack of versatility thanks to only 2 skillpoints per level and a spell-list that's not geared towards utility.

Hilariously, since the Giant type is now a humanoid subtype, that also lets you count as a giant.

Why is that special you ask? Because sometimes, there's incredible feats out there.
d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/storm-soul/

I hope you can operate without a head, though, since the velocity a GM would throw a book at you fr doing this would take it straight off.

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/storm-soul/

JESUS

What is a good god be it major or minor for a character who is beaten-down and angry? I was looking at Calistria but she seems more about spite than revenge.

The cliffside is actually a bigass golem.

And it's gotten fat lately.

Whatcha think like, half level bonus against all evil stuff?

Basically lesser effects, but always on.

Did every medieval village had a manor and church within its boundary? How many village(s) did the lord ruled over?

So what first party investigator archtypes are worth using? I am not sure what I want to do with this class, but it feels very unfocused.

3.5 question here

So I recently asked my DM if I could play a kobold which was immediately shot down with "I'm not having pun-pun in my game, I'm not falling for that shit"

Which was understandable, I could see being skeptical about kobolds. But like my idea involved going one level spellthief, 5 levels sorcerer, then prestige into spellwarp sniper right.

For backstory it was just gonna be something like he wasn't a magically inclined kobold so he learned to steal others magic. But cause he's still a rogue-ish character he is sent out to patrol the outskirts of their kobold village but runs into a adventuring party, his group gets killed and he manages to run away but the group chases him into a swamp where they aim to kill him, but a swamp witch intervenes and saves him, and so he decides to serve the witch and calls her the kind lady. Makes a magic contract with her so she can siphon her magic into him and he learns to tap into his dragon blood to become a full sorcerer. Now being her servant or proxy familiar of sorts he goes out and acts as an inquisitor of sorts and aims to protect the swamp in which the witch lives and hunts down adventures that trespass the swamp or attempt to hurt the witch

That seems acceptable right?

Look, man, You're in the wrong thread. Most of us haven't even looked at a 3.5 book in the better part of a decade - I have no idea what a Spellwarp Sniper even is.

The character backstory sounds fine, the GM kind of sounds like a prejudiced dick from what little you've said of him. That's about all we can offer you.

Try looking at empiricist. That plus a few things that move your other skills to being intelligence based (like the glorious Orator feat) and you will become skillmonkey supreme, with some buffing ability on the side courtesy of extracts with the infusion discovery. It's unfocused probably because you're looking at the combat applications - investigator is complete ass in combat. Focus on the skills part and you'll see a god walking amongst mere mortals.

Is it explicitly a monster or evil campaign? Because I don't see why you should expect to be allowed to play a "usually evil" race otherwise.

That looks good thanks, I am also gestalting it with an Arcanist, and I think this will fill that big gaping hole that skills leave in the character.

Has someone posted a game yet?

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat
So with a two level dip into alchemist (taking two vestigial arms) i can now attack with four weapons at the same time?
Why is alchemist so good

We're not exactly a good party outside the one cleric of pelor, other than that the rest of the party is pretty questionable and leans towards lawful/neutral evil.

No, fuck you

Which is understandable
The last 2 groups I've played with in person over the last 3 years have been 3.5 groups though I am in a PF game on roll20 but it's just me and another player and the DM is a bit liberal so make things more fun

And I don't mind making a 3.5 thread but I'm pretty sure it would not be nearly as active as the pathfinder thread. As for me personally though my post was less about the classes I was planning on taking and getting on a opinion on if my character sounded like they would have been fine, because in 3.5 people get concerned about letting kobolds into party due to the min maxing bullshit they could like the fact they qualify for epic dragon feats at level 3 and will be able to cast 4 levels higher above their actual level (so a level 3 kobold sorc would have access to the spells of a 7th level sorc and so on) amongst other shit like pun pun. So I mean it's somewhat understandable why he would not want a kobold in the game simply after hearing I wanted a kobold

Overlewd

Gulch Gunner

Is there anyway to build it that's actually worth playing, or will you always just be a Gunslinger who takes extra damage?

Duke's Coin

please respond

Has anyone ever gotten their dick sucked in game?

Calistra is revenge. Zyphus is Spite.

do fade to blacks count? if so a few times, but always with npcs

You're GM is a retard who doesn't understand how Pun-Pun even works.

How do you roleplay an evil character with -3 in intimidate?

"Hey, gimme your money or I gut you right here and now."
"No, you don't scare me"
And then proceed to gut him.

Littlefinger. The most important people he intimidate is whores who have low wisdom.

Half of Dragons 2 is a mess of memes built around trying to spell and sound like "ROAR" so surprise surprise when the characters themselves aren't too hot, I know we've ogled Rinka to death but how's that little rat doing in the campaign? Feels like she's squatting in a slot better filled by greater apps.

And then we get to RotJR, should we be talking about FotJR, or SotJR? I've got no problems with FotJR since that was never revealed to be a thing and has pleasantly fallen off the radar as the DM's personal fun-zone, but SotJR was the big leagues, and some of those choices were just baffling. Aranha and probably Valeriya could've been pulled out and replaced with other apps and the game would've hummed along just as well.

Private ERP, yes. Fade to black, yes. IRL at the table, yes.

Wasn't Dragons 2 a victim of Disk pulling an Iago?

Is there any Wuxia splats for pathfinder ?

Valeriya was a bone throne to Casimir just as Casimir is a bone thrown to Orynryou whom the game is pretty much built around.

How is Casimir at all related to Onryou?

Casimir was already stupidly popular before Onryou posted how much they wanted them in the party.

Onryou's player literally asked for Casimir to be in the same game as her. And did you miss all the shit where they were practically type fucking in thread?

So which Dragons 2 app deserved its slot?

Who is the best Dragons 2 character?

>implying i know what dragons 2 is
>implying i know who applied to be part of it

If we're doing this, can someone please explain how the fuck "dude astronomy lmao" got in? What was I not understanding?

Ignore app circus and shitty "/pfg/ gaems" drama and tell me how did you break it to your animal companion that you can't bring them into a dungeon because they are too big or too small.

So who deserved to get in, user?

Someone posted a homebrewed class a while ago about a pregnant priestess from a fertility goddess. I think it was a .pdf file.
Anybody have it?
I wanna show it to a friend.

>Who is the best Dragons 2 character?

I can't believe I'm about to write this, but Aurora and Rory.

God I fucking hate that shit. I know every time I tie my packmule outside the fucking dungeon that he'll die. What do DMs get out of making me lose all my various rations, hammocks, and winter jackets?

Path of War

I've got a player who tries breaking doors, walls and puzzles at every possible opportunity. I've started having traps that trigger explicitly ONLY when the door or wall is damaged, and despite the party figuring this out, he continues to try breaking things before just trying to unlock them. He also gets pissy any time this backfires.

How do I make it explicitly clear I'm tired of him just trying to break his way through everything. I've made it pretty clear to him i work hard on these puzzles and it makes me feel like shit when he tries to just skip them. Plus the rest of the party actually kinda likes them, so it's not fun for them

Explain

Dude, it's been like 7 months, I don't even remember the others who got in, I just recall that app feeling like a vapid appeal to moe thicc and I didn't understand

With 11 herbs and spices followed by deep frying.

If it can't fight, just what is it good for besides food?

I'm with this guy, explain how those two are the best user.

more like under the table, ey?

>No matter where you are
>No matter who you are
>No matter the situation
>No matter for how long
>No matter if it makes sense or not
>Everything important left unattended is guaranteed to be fucked with, killed, destroyed, stolen, kidnapped, taken away or straight up magic'd out of existance
Items, NPCs, other PCs, buildings, mounts, roads, doors, planes...
Why do gms think this is somehow clever or good? Especially when you HAD to leave them somewhere and they dick you over for it too

>takes extra damage

I mean you won't be, because you'll be in their jockstrap blasting away with that sweet +4 AC

its high risk higher damage gunslinging

Gyronna if the character is of the fairer sex.
Most lawful gods could work because "something something true resolve, something something indomitable spirit"