Malifaux General

Malifaux General: Robomen Edition

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach 2E - Core Rulebook

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

wyrd-games.net/homefront
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want to like this game but everything about it is hideous. Why are the aesthetics so bad?

Personal taste?
The models and art are my favourite part.

Previous thread: Hinnamatsu looks fucking dope.

Every faction has a pretty different aesthetic. At the very least, I'd have a hard time calling Guild hideous. It's just American western for the most part.

It is an odd complaint to be sure.

I would assume he's only seen a couple of crews, but it's not an uncommon complaint.

Maybe it's the starter set - the Scion and Wretchs look pretty dumb.

The aesthetic was what drew me in in the first place.

But it's changed a lot since first Ed. It's gone pretty far away from the Gothic horror "Bad Things Happen"(tm) vibe.

Just had my first game with Ironsides with her new upgrades and oh boy is it strong. And bullshit, according to my opponent.

A question arose though. I had Ironsides Challnege aura up and Amina cast Summons on a model, triggering Liability as well. Ironsides was damaged. Pic related. Is it correctly understood that the model in question is more or less forced to try the wp duel of the Challenge aura, since it can't target Ironsides (because of Liability and Ironsides being damaged) and targeting something else requires to pass the wp duel of Challenge. I.e. pass the wp duel er lose the action?

Yes. Liability doesn't really matter, since they'd loose the action if they failed the WP duel.

Liability just makes it more annoying since targeting Ironsides isn't an option.

Thats some yugioh tier annoying shit right there.
Like summoning two of these or using that "cant target anything else" equip on a monster that cant be targeted whilst other monsters are on the field.

wyrd-games.net/homefront

So, who are you guys interested in backing? Both the faction for the nightmare box, and the syndicate for The Other Side.

Personally, I'd want to see a nightmare box for a faction that hasn't had very many yet. Neverborn or Gremlin I think have the least. And order of Chimera would be my syndicate of choice for the egytian themed models.

They all seem like shit to be honest.

I might support the Ramos one, if I thought it would remove him from being playable in Malifaux.

The Strat/Scheme scoring seems overly complex.
Why?

Otherwise, not bad - I can dig it.

Look forward to Neverborn or Arcanists getting the Nightmare box.

>Gremlin
As much as I want it, it's not going to happen. They got devastated the last time there was a global campaign.

Ouch, he's a salty one.

I agree that none of the Syndicates are particularly inspiring though.

If pressed I might go for Nightmare, even though I play Arcanists, just because it's the least-lame of the lot.

Nytemare's Syndicate is the coolest, with Marcus following after.
I will probably be supporting a ressur nightmare box.

>salty
Not really, I just want there to be consequences for actions in the story. VonSchill losing an arm is one of the coolest parts of the story too me. When Lady J got a building dropped on her then walked it off without so much as a scar, was one of the lamest.

Ramos was a known terrorist for a decade, who's finally been captured. I'd would be legit salty if he gets hand-waved to freedom.

I am looking forward to seeing how the sculpt turns out.

What would a competitive Ten Thunders Misaki list look like? I am not entirely sure where to start with her beyond Sensei Yu.

It makes me want to pick up Collodi.

Actually, to be honest, it just makes me want to pick up Bunraku and her and maybe do a Henchman Harcore of Puppets or something, I don't really like Collodi's crew outside his model and Vaselisa.

I would love it if Nytmare got a titan model to go with his syndicate. Having a fully manifested Tyrant show up on the table would be rad.

For some reason I assumed that Marcus was South African or something, rather than Egyptian. He didn't look the part I guess.

perhaps he's a hotep

I really like Collodi's look.
Colorful evil.

They are already doing a kangz faction, so it would make sense that they are going that way. I would love to see regular order of the Chimera dudes on the board if the syndicate thing goes through. The skirmish game has only had Myranda up to now, though we finally got Crockett the the self righteous man.

Probably some low river monks for engagement and healing, could be very much worth considering Shadow Emissary. Sun Quiang is a great scheme runner. I think something like Illuminated can help give you a bit more oomph in the general fighting area but really supporting misaki and doing schemes is what you should focus on.
So maybe a couple Ten Thunders Brothers, Sensei Yu, Sun Quiang, Shadow Emissary and Shang. Can replace TTBros with Low River Monks, Yokai or Torakage.

It sounds kind of tight with seven activations, but that does sound good as I can focus on Misaki as opposed to having a more all around crew without support for her. I needed to pick up Sun Quiang and Low River monks anyways.

You can afford to probably go without Sensei Yu if you are not stalking Misaki, but you kind of need him if you are. Shadow Emissary isn't completely necessary either and Sun Quiang could be replaced with two low river monks for more activations.

Also i totally fucking forgot Teracotta Warriors those things are dank. They let you swap between your "playstyles" as needed, for example swapping your stalking bisento to the disguised thing to fuck over your opponent on the turn he needs to get into melee with you or swapping to blasting when you want to do that etc. Plus he can make a Torakage or Illuminated Obnoxious to remove.

Yeah, in a bit afraid about them doing an Egyptian faction, and it turning it to be
>Egyptians IS BLACK Nigga!
Ala MTG, and miss out on cool Egyptian stuff.

Seems kinda weird to reveal "Marcus was Egyptian the whole time!"

Speaking of Marcus, have we ever seen any interaction with Ramos or the rest if the arcanists? He said seemed to be if in the woods doing his own thing. I'm interested to see how close he is to the rest of the faction, given that Ramos is at least temporarily out of the picture.

I may just go without the emissary and have Yu be the one handing out fast (Depends on the scheme and strat set though). With that I am definitely grabbing a Terracotta warrior to play with Misaki's upgrades, and another brother or LRM for general use. Thanks for the advice user.

Remember if you are willing to delay your misaki slingshot till turn 2 you can DOBULE
STALK
two as many stalks
Almost as good as double rogue necro double monster hunter guild mcmourning for QUAD STALK WITH STALK BASED ATTACKS

I keep forgetting that you can have more than stalk more than one target. I have generally been shooting her up the board too early, so that makes a lot of sense.

It means you can get TWO WALKS though uh each one is towards a different guy. The neat part with the quad list for mcmourning is of course you can choose which stalker is going to move each time and chances are at least one of the four is going to be heading in the right direction.

McMourning is great. That seems like a fun mobile list.

I like how the new event is using a straight up ratio according to Aaron, so faction popularity won't be as much of a factor.

>straight up ratio
Won't that just skew towards more competitive factions instead of more popular ones?

Possibly but remember each faction also has a bunch of dogshit masters that will bring their winrate down. Guild might win because of that actually, they aren't the best faction but right now none of their masters are shit either.

I'd still expect TT to come out on top given their presence at the to of tournaments.

After the last wave there aren't a whole lot of objectively shit masters. Other than Brewmaster still being behind the curve, nothing immediately springs to mind.

Levi, Parker, Kaeris, Tara (yes still) and Ulix are still behind the curve. Its just that Brewmaster is way further.

>, Parker,
>Behind the curve

Wot. Nothing wrong with Ulix either. He just looks bad when you put him next to Somer.

I don't own Parker, its just every thread on the forums and everyone i have talked to even on Veeky Forums has said hes shit.

Do you guys like the idea of a nightmare box for a dual faction master, but with models for their other faction than is given in their normal box.

So Nightmare Zoraida with gremlins, or Nightmare Lucius with Neverborn. Brewmaster with some models that make him work. Something like that.

I play parker, you have to compare him to either generalists or outcasts, he's not as good as other generalists too much jank and he is at best 5th place in faction behind, hamlin, viks, levi and shill.

>Behind 2/3/4 damage spread and 2 activations the master
Nah.

Do tell, what makes him better than that?

Hes a decent bonus AP machine between the free walks he gets, the 0 for bonus actions, scout the field to whole crew etc. He can with little work produce all the soulstones his crew needs and he provides more than enough help to get his crew to finish any interacts, a lot like guild mcmourning, though unlike guild mcmourning he can also fuck up enemy schemes.
Levi is a shitty beater with some free activations, its not that hard to be better than that in most scheme/strat pools.

Levis hiring pool is what makes him so strong. Ever try dealing with a rider that has thousands strong on it?

A rider with ancient protection (not thousands strong, wrong ability) is no real different to having any TT beater with ancient protection on it or facing a strongarm/desolation with bonus armor from the engineer.
In wave 1/2 being able to take things like belles, the mech rider etc were pretty awesome but now realistically each faction has enough of their own shit that it doesn't mean much. There aren't any competitive unique combos just for levi and "taking the best" models really just ends up with a list with Johan, Sue, A&D etc taking up most of the points and grabbing 1-2 pieces at most of out of faction tech.
Hiring pools with no synergy are not in themselves a really powerful ability now that every faction has every role covered.

Sure, but that means that Gremlins actually have a shot. A good one at that.

Levi could take use some love.

I'm a total noob who wants to get into the game.
What do i need to play? What should I expect?

I'm getting the Troubleshooters starter if that helps.

You need measuring tape, a deck of playing cards, some 30mm and 50mm circles for markers (Bases work), along with your models. Also having a dry erase markers to keep track of wounds and such on the stat cards for your models is nice. Get sleeves too if you don't want to scuff them.

Expect lots of fun, but a curve that you will need to climb over before you get good. Troubleshooters is a good choice, especially with buffs that Ironsides and the Oxfordian Mages got. You can look at Johan and the Arcane Emissary as later purchases.

I want to do my part for Gremlins, but I haven't really focused on them. I've just collected a ton of stuff and haven't really stuck with one faction.
What's some advice for playing Wong? I haven't played with him yet.

For Ironsides a good followup purchase is Union Miners and Howard Langston. Be aware Union Miners and Ironsides both have older versions of their cards in the box, go to Wyrds website to download and print out the new and buffed versions.

Magic shit. Magic shit everywhere. Shuffle through your deck six times in one turn.

So I've got McMourning's box, a box of Kentauroi, a box of Canine Remains, and an extra Flesh Construct. I'm contemplating the next step to expanding my collection. Seamus' box seems like a good pick, not so much for another Master but for Sybelle and the Rotten Belles. Then there's the Emissary and a box of Mindless Zombies, but that's pricey. Thoughts?

If only grab the Seamus box, then maybe Nico's.

I definitely plan to get Nico at some point, but why do you suggest so soon?

Mostly because with what you have now, and Seamus's box you'll have 90% of what you'll want to summon with Nico.

Sounds like TTB 2e is on DriveThruRPG, if anyone plans to rip and upload it.

ca7 2/3/4 ignoring hard to kill, hard to wound and cannot be reduced. tiggers to slow or on friendly cause a 1 melee or cant be stopped by stoning
vs
sh6 +flip 2/3/5
tiggers to dump upgrades for dmg 1 for 1
drop enemy scheme markers or push 3"

wtf are you talking about? levi is a way better shot.

guild autopsy

What? Parker isnt a shooty master. He summons his markers, puts his crew in position etc. Thats like comparing dreamer to lillith and pointing out that dreamers melee isnt as good.

cause dreamer has chompy for melee, chompy is an extension of dreamer. Parker shoots to get those markers he is a shooty master, the majority of his actions are SH.

You have to be kidding me of you think his mobility, soulstone generation, scheming, hail of bullets etc makes him a beater and the point was that dreamer is stronger than lillith because of non attack things. Levi ignores defenses sure, but all he has is attacking and a summon that makes alp summon look good

> dreamer is stronger than lillith

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there bub.

I can understand why people misunderstand levi but come on now even post nerf dreamer is still kirai tier, especially now that aionus etc dont counter him instantly.

Though not related to levis power level why didnt they fix that interaction for him? Seems silly to only do it for one of them. Its odd too because dreamer needs to bury himself less than levi, though I guess coming back is slightly harder for him if chompy already activated?

Can someone list the notable rules changes for TTB 2e? Dont mean stuff like the new 0 tiers I mean like how crits changed and what fate points are.

And Lilith is better still better.

>randomize into a melee
>hit my own model for two damage
>get a chance to do damage to the enemy I was targeting, but can now miss and just be down 2
Even if the stars align that trigger is awful. Just cheat down to miss unless you are hitting deso engine, he can heal it back. Its a trap ability sort of like trying to go for the execute with karina.

What're y'all's opinion on the Hired Sword pack? I read up some on the units and the theme of it, and I absolutely love the aesthetic of it. Are they worth investing in? If I do, what are some other units that complement the pack well?

Vanessa is the obvious choice, but they go well with pretty much anything in faction. The Viktorias don't really support the crew at all, they just go ahead and kill shit, so some cheaper scheme runners helps (I'm a fan of Void Wretches, but Winged Plague work as well). I'd also look into Big Jake for the same purpose, he gives a bit more utility as well as scheming. Convict Gunslingers can give you a bit more ranged punch, as can Lazarus. What comes in the box is pretty great at melee, but if you want a change Bishop is good too

Try swapping Misaki out for any other master.

What other guy said but consider killjoy too. Having him burst out when a vik dies will make people weep. Also when she comes out get marlena webster to make yourself extra hard to kill.
Johan is really damn tough and useful too.

Big jake, Vanessa and Killjoy would probably get you a good 50 stone crew.

Does Carlos' upgrade Stunt Double count for show of force if I am playing colette?

Brewmaster? But yeah now that lynch can make his whole crew cheat second every tt master can run without themed crews. I mean even yan can always just flood his crew with armor and lightning dance foes into them.

Alright thanks, good advice all. How are the Wokou Raiders though? Or would that just add too much melee to the crew? I agree that more ranged to compensate might be better.

They are trickyish to use so you can worry about them later. After you play the game and see enemy models you will have a better idea of what you want to fill your weaknesses.

I think I know what he's talking about, it's more like this:

Is Jakob's new limited upgrade actually that good? I assumed that Rising Sun wouldn't be replaced yet.

As an upgrade it's amazing, as competitor to Rising Sun it falls flat.

I don't think anyone here has a copy yet. We've still not address it to the op.

>I guess coming back is slightly harder for him if chompy already activated?
I suspect it's this - Dreamer is more vulnerable for longer than Levi is.

The crew is great for general hires as well, even as Mercs, aside from as a Vik crew.

>Having [Killjoy] burst out when a vik dies will make people weep.
You fuck.
You horrible bastard fuck.

I think no, because it specifies it reduces the Cost to 0ss, rather than you can take it for 0ss.

Yes, when referring to point values use what is printed on the cards, it's like when you look at the cost of mercs, you don't add the +1 stone for hiring them.

Any word about what will actually come of the J vs Nico event? I'm doubtful anything significant but we already have Guildies bitching about Nico's massive fan base and how this better not turn J into an undead villain.

>tfw played my first game today
>30 SS Yan Lo vs Lady Justice

It was super fun but I realised a few things:
>Jesus Christ Lady Justice hits hard
>Fuck Death Marshals and their stupid coffins
>Izamu's Def 4 is something I really need to do something about in the future

Sub 40 SS games I don't play with masters. There's a lot of pt swings that happen with both summons and beatstick masters

I voted for Justice. It's more interesting for her to win, since she needs some character development. She's practically been an NPC in the story so far. She's accomplished no real goals.

I was prepared for a 50 SS game, but as it was meant to be a test-game for me, I just went along with the 30SS instead. So I had to ditch my Soul Porter and Toshiro, which may have been a mistake. But thankfully it was just a test game, and I still had fun.

But damn. Izamu melted quickly against Lady J.

Yeah, she's not a great match-up for Yan Lo. Even with his new upgrades it'll be tricky.

I agree with

Learn the game at lower stone games, but as soon as you can jump up the stone count. It'll give you more tactical flexibility, and make things less swingy, both because of models being added or removed, and because you see more of the deck which gives each turn more consistant 'luck.'

>There's a lot of pt swings that happen with both summons and beatstick masters
QFT.

Some of the hitty Masters are 15ss beaters, some of the supports give weak buffs to many models.
When Wyrd say "the game can be played at smaller sizes, but is balanced for 50ss" they are being absolutely literal.

Damn, that's a pretty brutal kicking administered for a demo game.
As in, has obvious potential to not be fun, and should not have been done.

Also, the person giving the demo taking a hard beater is just about the worst possible demonstration of Malifaux's USPs you could hope for.

This x1000.

Big beaters can be countered quite well but you need some insight in the game to get there. Just throwing in someone like J against someone new feels more like someone trying to stroke his own ego than to get you to explore the game.

I don't fully agree. For purely learning the game, it's better to face a straight forward master. Learning games aren't supposed to be about letting the new guy win.

Simultaneously it's definitely not about stopping the new guy from being able to use things and experiment. So rushing in and focusing pieces is a bad way to teach the game. The master isn't the problem. Unless it's a lockdown master like Brewmaster that fully stops models from acting how they should.

A master designed around deleting as many units as possible as quickly as possible doesn't let someone see and feel what they can do with the tools they brought. For new games you want Brawlers or support masters. Masters that leave your opponent with most of their new toys even if you're constantly leading them by 1 or 2 VP for the rest of the match. It forces them to think of ways to hinder your plans rather than creating this oppressively punishing aura that makes them afraid to actually try things.

It was a lighthearted test game between friends, I am not upset about any of this, y'all need to calm down. I understand what you're saying, but it's not a big deal. It was just a game.

This is Veeky Forums, blood must be spilled! But it's great y'all had fun with your match, hopefully you can find ways around the Lady J pain train for the upcoming ones. Are you playing Yan Lo as resser or TT primarily?