If you play your character well, but you chose to play a character who's an asshole, does that make you an asshole?

If you play your character well, but you chose to play a character who's an asshole, does that make you an asshole?

Of course not, it just means you're good at being an asshole. If I play my female character well does that make me a female?

Only if its detracting from everyone else's enjoyment.

I've always thought that when you play a character well, you're essentially playing a small part of yourself. Just a sum of your personality though, not the whole.

Everyone's an asshole in some way.

>choose
yes, obviously

If you play your character well but choose to play a character who ruins the other players' fun, that makes you an asshole. Characters that are assholes may be more likely to be characters who ruin other players' fun, but you can certainly have asshole characters that don't and technically-non-asshole characters that do.

Only if you put on a dress

If you made a character who's actively detracting from the fun of everyone else in the game, then yes, you are an asshole. How well you are at roleplaying it is completely irrelevant.

Are you making the game better or worse?

>Am I an asshole if I choose to be asshole?

No.

Are the other players having fun?

Not necessarily. It does show you may have hitherto untapped potential, though.

Acknowledging your flaws is the first step towards perfection user.

be an asshole to someone who isn't in the party

Yes, you are responsible for the consequences of your choices.

Classic RPG Mistake.

It only makes you an asshole if you get upset about the consequences coming to light. If your character is an asshole don’t be surprised when someone stabs you for being an asshole.

Depends. Are you being an asshole to the other characters, or the other players? If the latter then yes, if the former then no.

OP here, let me provide a bit more context.

Another player in my group is playing a character that can only be called a lawful-stupid shounen protagonist. Think stereotypical paladin combined with stereotypical edge-lord, but worse. Her character refuses to even lie by omission if she feels like her honour is infringed (which it often is).

Did I mention that she's the GM's girlfriend, by the way?

Here's an example of some of her shenanigans.
>we'd just saved a town
>one of the Empire's powerful hero-generals who was en route congratulates us.
>general recognizes the artifact swords on the not-paladin's back
>comments that they belonged to an exiled traitor family who were all killed to the last
>not-paladin admits that she's part of this family
>not-paladin insists that they weren't traitors
>not-paladin demands that the general apologize!
>at this point, I step in to try and difuse the situation
>"Ha! that's a good joke, not-paladin."
>"Don't take what she says seriously, hero-general. After all, who would be so stupid to admit something so foolish out loud!?"
>I roll well, and sigh inwardly with the knowledge that there won't be a TPK today
>not-paladin fights against my buff
>not-paladin doubles-down on her demands
>not-paladin challenges the much more powerful hero-general to a duel!
>alchemist is brewing up a sedative, hoping to drug the not-paladin's tea before she does anything worse
>things get so bad so quickly, the GM has to step in.
the hero-general gets out of her chair, walks up to the not-paladin, and drinks her tea (ostensibly to intimidate her), not knowing that the alchemist had drugged it.
>being a high-level NPC, the sedative shouldn't have worked on the general, but not only does it work, it works almost immediately and without delay.
>I manage to convince everyone there to run, we steal a boat by the harbour, and escape down the river.

Is my anger legitimate, or is this somehow not as bad as I feel?

I've got to agree with this, whenever I play a character well it's by taking a lesser part of my personality, making it a main part and extrapolating from there.

That's not an asshole, that's just lawful stupid. It is very different things. Question is does she play it understanding the consequences of her actions or just because. This is the most crucial part. talk to her about it, ask if she understands that her actions put her and party in danger, ask if she understands that it's not an CRPG and you could easily stumble on someone who would be capable of wrecking you all. If she does understand this than you could probably work out how she may change/tone down her rolepay to not endanger party too much.

If she doesn't understand, wait while she turns her back, hit her with the hammer over the head and hide the body. There is no reason to have another worthless meatsack crawling around.

It's not just putting the party in danger, it's also just being a general pain in the ass.

Like, last session, she physically dragged the alchemist to a plague-ridden part of the city, and demanded that he heal the sick. It didn't matter how much we told her that you couldn't just wave your hand an heal an unknown disease; she wouldn't hear of it.
Now, as it happened, this was the right decision (the alchemist rolled 18 successes on 18 dice, and found out lots of information on the plague), but that specific bit of luck otherwise, it was still incredibly disruptive and wasted almost half the session.

As I said it all depends on if she does it because she is dumber than bricks or just because she choose to play such a character.

Hmmm. I'm gonna need feet pics to determine that.

In 2017... yes, it does.

Do you tell yourself "I'm a girl now?" No? Then you're a dudebro.