Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

What are you doing with Starfinder before Alien Archive comes out?

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
some other pastebin: archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/starfinder/username/mageguru/
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1SGtUFLCXOjPyrw5sPUoWsqvgsxIHvWMl9r-TZL7F1Vo/edit
youtu.be/RApyQ9SWzIY?t=5
youtu.be/B7ZPD0yZ-k8?list=PLBEDF39BA3C8A282A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Currently, I'm putting together a Vesk Soldier, because they're absolutely made for front-and-center melee capability. I'm trying to decide what specialization to go for though - I'm torn between Armor Storm and Blitz. they both seem very good for a melee combatant, and while I know I'll pick up whichever one I don't take at level 8, I still need to figure out which of the pair to take at level 1.

What level?

I'm building for level 4, so before we really have access to a lot of the good gear.

Why not do soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 3?

New enemies: Spaceship Mimics, they breathe in space and look and function like a racer spaceship, being th same size and shape.

However, due to the game's rules, spaceships cannot target them as they are on a different scale despite being shaped exactly like a space ship and being the same size

Because I'm not a fan of solarian at all. In fact, I kind of despise the mysticism bullshit attached to it, and prefer much more mundane characters to ones that are supernatural in some way. the last time I played a Star Wars RPG, I made a wookie with so much constitution he could deflect light saber hits with his manly pecs.

Armor Storm is kinda bad unless your GM is willing to homebrew some stuff to cover the huge gaps between new sets of power armor (and battlegloves). It's not bad as a secondary style because you pick up the level 5 technique at the same time the titan shield, the only power-armor only mod, becomes available, and it's one of the best mods.

Blitz is strong, with the one thing it lacks being a way to move and full attack which can be surmounted in a few ways. The sort of melee character that would want Blitz also benefits a lot from slapping a titan shield in his heavy armor.

Ideas for a spell cache??

well, part of the reason I love Armor Blitz so much is that you can even slot 2-slot mods into the discounted slot, including forcefields, which is a massive boost to the durability of someone who, due to the nature of being close to the enemies and out of cover, is going to be under fire a lot. It's the big reason I was considering it over the potential for a speed and initiative boost; being close up doesn't help me much if the guy who I just murdered has buddies that can paste me.

If you are starting at 4th-level, then I would advise taking Hit-and-Run solely for its 5th-level ability, which will allow you to move during a full attack.

Armor Storm has its issues as is mentioned above. Blitz's +10 land speed becomes irrelevant with a jetpack, which, by the way, you should try to start with.

>Removing the /pfg/ link repository from the OP
>When the /pfg/ link repository is the most complete repository of pirated materials for starfinder
Do you have brain damage?

I will be GM first guaranteed, but the first player I make will have a jetpack. Period.

Hell, I even made a Iron Gods centric homebrew for PF that was focused on the class having a jetpack. I'll probably convert it for Starfinder because all anyone really wants is a goddamn decent jetpack to do stunts with.

I'm werking on a homebrew race for off-brand PSO shenanigans, but I figured I'd also make a core-compatible doc so people have more to work with,

I still need two more traits for them though and maybe a balance pass on one of them depending on how it works with the rest of the system; any input would be appreciated, especially in regards to the traits and/or creating fluff that lines up with Pact World stuff.

Link: docs.google.com/document/d/1SGtUFLCXOjPyrw5sPUoWsqvgsxIHvWMl9r-TZL7F1Vo/edit

Alternatively, has anyone taken a crack at making build-a-bot androids yet? Picture somehow tangentially related to both topics.

Moving like a Warframe in Starfinder

Take Kip Up. Tumble around the battlefield like a maniac and go prone at the end of your movement. Take everything that improves your speed.

Best done while being an Operator and maybe a dip into Soldier for Blitz. Operator's eventually no longer suffer penalties while being prone, so always go prone at the end of your movement unless you need to save a Swift Action for something else. All this eventually will look like this:

youtu.be/RApyQ9SWzIY?t=5

Is a necromancer a viable idea or should I wait for more material to come out? I want to play an Eoxian necromancer who worships Abadar and is adventuring to raise capital to start his business where he rents out undead laborers to the living. Kind of a counterpoint to the commie necromancers everyone wants to play, I want to play a capitalist necromancer who sees a business opportunity.

The best way I can think of is somehow converting the droids from RQ6's Star Wars homebrew.

what stats would you give a PC skeleton race? my player wants to play a skeleton called "Dr. Sawbones" that's focused on being a sci fi doctor

A technomancer I'm making has his spell cache as an artifical 3rd eye on the center of his forehead. It would look like the Sharingin when it get's three dots around the iris as it levels up.

Mines a bit of a handicap but since I started with a prosthetic arm, I had that be the spell cache. I'm waiting for my DM to fuck my royally by destroying my arm.

An anime Starfinder thread... I CAN POST IN THIS!

There, a starting point.

No balanced. Please pick it apart.

Can someone set up a Strawpoll for the possible Nagarta name changes. I'd like to complete them before we move on to the plants

Mechanical and Innate Armour really feel like a bit too much. No stamina is kinda weird (It's NPCs, not robots that lack stamina) and the no con score means they can save a good amount of points in point buy.

I'd look towards 3.5's warforged for 'Constructs but not with so much mechanical difference they need a host of special rules'

I'd also like to point out that Stamina in Starfinder is not just representative of your ability to take what are known as "glancing blows", but it's also meant to account for near misses and lucky dodges, which is why just about anything that can move should have at least something of a Stamina Pool.

They really should have gone with a Living Construct style trait for Androids.

Could be easily done as an alternate racial trait.

A robot waifu.

Do you want a highly customizable robot, or do you want a slightly different android? The whole point is to make something that can be shaped to a huge number of non-humanoid shapes that function differently than people - so they got the construct rules and built in armor since a vending machine would have a lot of problem wearing typical armor. The innate armor is slightly worse than by level armor anyways.

The stamina pool also represents a pool of health that can be recharged quickly with rest, which is the absolute opposite of what a robot is capable of. Hit point also represent non-mortal wounds, since a player still has a large pool of hit points.

No, these are literal robots. Living Construct is less robotic than the Starfinder Constructed trait, and if these are supposed to be non-humanoid robots with advanced AI resembling sentience then they should be something besides more customizable androids.

This was done quickly, but if you want something to actually be nonhuman in nature - fluff and crunch - it should play like an actual construct and not just dip their toe in the pool. The whole point is that you make an astromech or floating butler or whatever else that android/warforged doesn't emulate well if at all.

>Do you want a highly customizable robot, or do you want a slightly different android?

Something balanced. Right now that massive list of immunities is kinda silly and the inability to actually keep going over the course of a day (Due to no stamina) makes them kinda unable to engage in the game like other people.

Wyrwood were not broken in Pathfinder, I don't see why having construct traits makes something broken out of the gate.

As far as hit points go, isn't repairing an object a lot easier than healing in general? It's not like a starship gets a stamina pool.

Wyrewood also get literally nothing beyond 'Being a construct'.

Ships also do have a stamina pool equivelent, it's called shields. It refreshes quickly outside of combat and reduces the amount of slow repairs needed.

Makes sense. I'll replace Mechanical with something more like Android then. I still feel like it should lean more into being non-human than android, so maybe keep the lack of healing from typical means but give back stamina (maybe give the option for slow regeneration as a trait?).

What about the actual trait options? What should that starting hit points be? How to distinguish between sizes better?

I'd give them back con and pare the immunities down a bit. After all, a solid well constructed robot SHOULD be tougher than a fragile, piecemeal one (Though that ties into my general issues with construct/undead lack of con in the first place. Dwarf zombie should be tougher than anorexic elf zombie). I'd give them a solid 6 base HP. Small or large, they are made of metal and will be decently tough.

Perhaps make 'Small' one of the traits you can pick? (So the default is medium but you can spend 1 to be small and get +2 Stealth or 1 to be large and get +2 Athletics since size matters a lot less in starfinder than before)

Positive/negative swap, resistance/immunity to certain effects, vulnerability to other effects/damage types?

That could actually be really fun. I'll keep it in mind.

Dead suns 2 pdfs yet?

So I've heard a lot about ship combat being broken, but haven't actually looked at it. Can somebody give me a quick rundown of what's wrong with it?

the skill DCs at high level are way too high.
almost impossible to pass them even for 110% optimized characters.
all gear and all class skills dont fucking improve your skill

Does Starfinder do anything to address Pathfinder's core mechanical issues, or is it just a thematic reskin with all the same bells, bugs, and whistles?

the caster bullshit has been squashed for good. that has been solved.

Is your Starfinder character cute?

not really

discussion remaining for nagartas:
the name is kinda lame, we probably need a replacement name.
2) antagonist organizations in the suplimental fluff section. rival corporations engage in low level mercenary warfare?

Subscribers don't get it until the earliest October 2, so not possible until next week.

It removes multiple attacks per round, which is a huge improvement to me.

It still has my biggest problem with Pathfinder though, which is the huge number of class features and feats that give +1-5 to some rolls instead of doing something interesting

You can't squash the scaling on Pathfinder. Even 4e struggles with the crazy range of modifiers.

However, as points out the caster bullshit has been stamped out and only the game breaking mid level spells are sprinkled in where upper level spells would be. As long as full casters stay dead, there will be a better spread of tiers.

The game feels really customizable for a core book with classes without as many traps, and the flaws appear to be much more obvious.

Maneuver math is still garbage because it is AC+8, so you must invest to even meet par with an ability. Skills are waaaay more critical than they used to be.

I do think HP is too high compared to damage and I don't know the more nuanced problems of high level play.

I personally like it a lot more than 3.pf though they should have stolen more stuff from Star Wars EotE and 5e.

Leakanon seems to ignore this thread, so your best bet is watching the PDF share thread for Mageguru's posts. Usually he leaks PDFs on the street date or a day or two later at the latest.

That's actually been reduced greatly now.

This is still too much from a single race... maybe a true robot should be more than just a race. What about a robot *class*?

Your race theme etc. stays the same, and the race reflects the design/technology/culture because each race has their own flavor of robot.

Then maybe the Robot has "build points" similar to an Eidolon's evolution points? So as it gains levels it can upgrade and further customize itself.

>This is still too much from a single race... maybe a true robot should be more than just a race. What about a robot *class*?
What about a template?

The idea is for this to be a player option, so a template basically takes that off the table.

I'm actually thinking class might be the best way to get what I envision as a robot player across.

How degenerate are the people of Starfinder? Without any moderating influences and dozens that encourage you to do "whatever you want," I can't imagine it's in any way a conservative society.

so, like, some kind of robot... master?

Given what their pathfinder version is, they're probably on par with the less ethical members of the NID in Stargate.

Neo-conservative in the best of cases, but often just "obtaining knowledge" by sliding some kind of brain-eating leech into someone's ears and armed with as many variants on "we had reason to be fearing for the universe's life" as cops like using when they pull their weapon on someone.

>Given what their pathfinder version is, they're probably on par with the less ethical members of the NID in Stargate.

What? I was talking about the common person, not the Starfinder society.

>dozens that encourage you to do "whatever you want,"

When I say this, I mean we've got Hylax, Besmara, that pansexual whatever god, and more who are all about choice.

One of the NPCs in the Adventure Path is literally Hillary Clinton. She's causing Absalom Station to be open to all non-human races, which many factions don't want as you end up with refugees or aliens that just want to destroy Absalom Station.

I can't recall her name because in the end our group just replaced her with a better character, a sci-fi George Washington and we removed the modern day political bullshit out of any narrative.

But she can't be Hillary Clinton because then she wouldn't be in charge.

Don't forget she's a vaguely brown woman and her opposition is the only named white man in the entire system.

So all this stuff about Conservatism got me thinking and I got two things that can actually be used to talk about the system:

1. Shirren a BEST
Coming from a massive conglomerate seeking freedom and independence, raising their children without weird sexual tendencies, preaching about Hylax, even handing down skills from parent to child. Even the Defense organization is operated by them. Chitin is just another form of Conservatism.

2. What is Conservatism in The Vast?
A lot of the stuff I could think of that they would point to just doesn't seem to make as much sense with all the magic and technology they have at their disposal. Cloning tanks, gene engineering, Android babysitters, are probably just a few of the things that will outright annihilate a lot of ideas.

>Coming from a massive conglomerate seeking freedom and independence, raising their children without weird sexual tendencies, preaching about Hylax, even handing down skills from parent to child.

Wouldn't a species that deeply value freedom and independence tend to produce the people that want to go against the grain the most often? I mean, it really does surprise me how the Shirren characters in the system tend to be the most "normal human guy" types, but whatever.

>A lot of the stuff I could think of that they would point to just doesn't seem to make as much sense with all the magic and technology they have at their disposal. Cloning tanks, gene engineering, Android babysitters, are probably just a few of the things that will outright annihilate a lot of ideas.

We never see any of that shit being used, though. To us, you just throw a half-dozen humans on a planet and they suddenly populate it.

That's quite a romantic interpretation of conservatism.

The Shadowborn I've been imagining are conservative because of their insular nature born primarily because of the fact they have to dress up or suffer damage to their skin from strong lights which extends to their home where after hundreds of years of route learning and ritual they are loath to make sudden changes without knowing fully how it affects things (and most importantly) how it may or may not endanger them.

I mean, we have that baby making technology stuff now. We can already clone animals, have plenty of sperm tanks, and we've got the temporary wombs developing as we type. Do we really need to be told that technology you can access by making a call right now isn't available in the super deluxe future? What would you say if we were told that there are no natural born humans, everyone is a copy or a clone or made out of throwing darts at a board and seeing what they land on?

What if Goblins read binary, because numbers don't steal your soul like letters do?

>Slightly ill-tempered Shadowborn slowly learns to accept the xenos around him who help whenever his suit rips

What is Conservatism in The Vast?

I just love the idea that when we get people wanting to play a "Heteronormative White Guy" the response should be "They're in the book. Play a Shirren."

>White guys are bug people

Oh god, this is juicy.

Except that's wrong. 16 make a word.

>16 make a word.

What do you mean?

>the response should be "They're in the book. Play a Shirren."

Do heteronormative white men even exist in the base setting? Nothing suggests they do.

I don't know, I just object to the idea that conservatism is any more enlightened or better than liberalism. Yeah liberals can be full of bullshit to but this whole matter is stupid because of the "where are the white people" posters.

case in point

>case in point

Someone did a trawl through Dead Suns and the CRB, and found there was only maybe 1 white male character that wasn't explicitly evil or a faceless mook to be mowed down.

I had an old idea for a space setting where the least relatable race physically (a hideous bug race) were the only race close enough to humans culturally to be at all relatable. Other races, even those resembling mammals and seeming to communicate at a pitch humans could hear, they were all so very different from humanity psychologically, mentally, and culturally that it was difficult to even communicate with them.

Don't worry too much about it. Think of it as free thread bumps.

Sounds cool, give us more details. Did the two story tall Guard bugs make all the same complaints Rent-A-Cops do? Were the Workers usually working just 40 Hours and then had free time where they indulged in Human TTRPGS? Did the Mantis Assassin start to like and loosen up when she had to work with the Humans and tried to wear something nice when off duty but cried when she realized she could kill everyone instantly but had trouble operating a zipper and had to be helped?

No but that's all great. The whole thing didn't focus on the bugs and they were off to the side. It was more of a "humans finally join intergalactic society" kind of thing. The idea was they were put off by the bugs but would eventually warm up to them. At the time I didn't think too hard about their side of it all.

It was an old idea from years back that never went anywhere because it wasn't very good.

I'm interested in how you justify the robot's presumed sapience. And if they're simply running off advanced coding, why not a CHA or WIS detriment, or otherwise a disadvantage to reading and emotively communicating with others?

Furthermore, although I understand that the default 'android option' may be suggested to be a bit too 'humanoid' for some people's likings, is there any reason you couldn't slightly tweak the mechanics of that instead of making something completely different? Most of the android features seem to fit a generally 'mechanical' character, and only exceptional vision, the upgrade slot and potentially the ability score increases don't seem like they'd necessarily fit. That said however, the upgrade slot seems like a much easier, shorter, way of implementing the robots customisability. Talk with the DM for a custom armor upgrade to install and you're set. Meanwhile the exceptional vision could easily be swapped out for the natural armor you seem to want, and the ability scores increases for something, again, more suitable to the robots build.
Other differences seem like they'd be largely thematic, potentially providing circumstance bonuses or detriments.

Who gives a shit? There's literally an AI god in the setting, and other games have dumped the robots = mental stat dumps for years at this point. Playing a droid in something like EotE is actually enjoyable because they are highly customized characters.

Anyways, I think it works better as a class that can be multi-classed out of but not into.

I think an archetype would be better than a fully-fledged class. It would both allow for greater customisation outside of 'droid and droid things' and also significantly reduce the number of customisation options needed than if it were a class.

Also, regarding the sapience and mental stat dumps. I think however you do it, you should try and come up with how robot characters are acting sapient, and why, if indeed there aren't, there aren't more sapient robots out there. It can give players a deeper understanding of how a sapient robot may process information and how they may make decisions. Particularly, if they possess emotions, like androids do, as justified by their souls. Furthermore, while I understand not wanting to limit a robot character by mental stat detriments, you may want to address the rarity of highly communicable robots, given how in the setting (which you suggest you plan to stick to by your mention of the AI god) even androids, who possess souls, tend to be fairly uncharismatic, likely due to their mechanical components, suggesting robots would similarly have trouble expressing emotions, and so themselves, leading to a low charisma, it being categorised as 'ability to express oneself'.

I like the idea that Star Wars puts forth for them.

Droids are built for a specific purpose, but the technology they have inside lets them adapt to the situations. As people start giving them orders and time tables and patterns, they become more and more sapient.

For example, some large Construction bot would know how to build a house out in the frontier. But as people give him requests, offer tips, dealing with inclement situations, and even just having the people warm up to it and start talking to it like a person, it becomes that more sapient. It would actually confuse people who would think it's been fully designed to be like a Human instead of just picking things up that make it more Humanlike.

Well I mean that's how artificial intelligence is most likely to come about.

Humans aren't born sapient, they start out as dumb little squawling shitbabies.

You don't create artificial intelligence, you provide the framework for it to create its own.

Except that it's Mechanical baggage driving the fluff you are saying here, not the other way around. Part of the reason a robot works as a class is because the massive variety of sentient machines in fiction, and making their stats be a reflection of the culture they were born from should be enough justification as to how they have those stats. A charismatic and empathetic race will create AIs that are charismatic, and technology tends to be different culture to culture in a science fiction setting.

Adding mechanical badge is unnecessary, especially baggage that is just continuing a bad tradition from 3.5 over to Pathfinder and then to Starfinder. Androids are an entire society, these are robots that are integrated into each individual culture.

That's my point, it works better as a class because it is a reflection of the culture it comes from instead of all artificial intelligence being identical to pod people found on Golarion.

I'll try to come up with some in the morning, but I'm struggling to come up with reasons why.

Do Medical Corps want to get their hands on the Nagarta? How strong are Nagarta economics?

my idea is that their gas giant has many rare resources which the nagarta companies consider their property / territory, but pact and vesk companies steal from it. thus the nagarta companies have privateers and mercenaries that hunt their ships and sabotage them to maintain their monopoly over the gas resources.

I have a list of weird names I used for an old project

Akasha
Krinalle
Kurvenne
Nescus
K'thir
Quellte
Venoure
Xirana
Pemelle
Lascera
Nexenvon
Thraxus
Therach
Rothe
Yvanna
Pemelle
fellsette
Yihrax
Viola
Kyrax
Sarethe
Khufu
yviss
zupelle

Well, it's only been out for a month, so you're not going to find 100+ feat choices that are all terrible
It seems to be pretty light on bloat

wouldn't it be better to look like spaceship wrecks, to entice looters/salvagers. Less chance of being fired upon as well.

Or, they should be able to take on ships, and actually eat them. It's going to be confusing to just go "you can't fire on that" when it's a bog-standard scifi trope to have organic ships.

thats also the reason the pact and vesk wanted to turn the planet to their side and it became a proxy war. i like this idea. ima write more on it tonight

Kickstarter for starfinder minis:

1st level: $1 (for nothing but emails)
2nd level: $100

Wow nice

So I wanted to make a pure melee character wields two swords. But nowhere in the book can I find anything for two weapon fighting.

Advice?

You don't.

The only thing dual-wielding does in this game is allow you to spend twice as much money to at best get a feat that will lower your full attack penalty by one if you attack with each weapon instead of one or the other.

AND deal more damage.

Only works with twin small-arm or operative weapons, and the bonus for low-BAB classes is higher if you just take weapon focus.

Well that's a shitty system change.

Time to homebrew then.

It would be better to homebrew twin swords as one two-handed weapon with an interesting custom property.

Do you get something nice for a hundred dollars?

twice the amount of emails

>the party explores a new planet
>local denizens have almost completed their spaceship project
>beset by carnivorous wildlife
youtu.be/B7ZPD0yZ-k8?list=PLBEDF39BA3C8A282A

manuevers are doable with no penalty (ie Attack of Opertunity) off the bat, and Imp feats all add +4.
Hitting AC+4 isn't that insane, and you're doing something much bigger than a called shot, so it's not crazy.

Skills are way more important, but all classes start at 4+int at the worst, increasing int over time isn't as huge a deal with the new stat buffing line.

there are still some ways of getting multiple attacks, but it's toned way the hell down, and more spread out evenly on classes.
And the baseline more interesting things to do in a turn is turned up.
Manuevers might be hard to pull off, but are baseline all available without penalty. Covering fire is open thing to do.

Soldiers get enough feats they can be pulling off those manuevers etc. Everyone Else who is a non-spellcaster gets multiple special actions they can be doing in a round.

have one sword be a gun. Gun and sword is a good combo.
Or have one sword be an energy weapon, so you can take advantage of differences in KAC vs EAC and resistances.

I'm pretty sure he's joint pointing out flaws in the starship rules.
There are many, We've come up with pretty good houserules after couple hours of hashing things out.
Only thing we're still working on is how we're going to change out how upgrading works. Because automatically getting new build points is boring, and purely linear upgrades is boring.

Likely we're not going to make an actual system and just have each upgrade be it's own narrative thing.