Would Rick and Morty be a good tabletop setting?

Would Rick and Morty be a good tabletop setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/MynameisMrMeeseeks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nope.

There is literally already a thread about this

It's called Planescape.

Big interdimensional hub with no gods ruled by an impersonal and uncaring power who gives no fucks about anything.

Bunch of factions arguing over nothing with most folks taking a more cynical/nihilistic view.

Bunch of weird lingo and the idea that people from the "regular world" are clueless saps.

It's possible to literally rewrite the traits of certain planes and make them what you want them to be.

back to /tv/ with ye

It could be, but I would think the loose improv style of the setting would be better suited to the wacky rules-lite systems you can normally find on this board. For example;

Everyone is John = Everyone is Morty
Lasers and Feelings = Lasers and Alcoholism

Etc. It could be fun for a few one offs when the whole rp grpup isn't available.

That sounds like the most depressing shit.

As is Rick and Morty from a big perspective. Hell the all knowing "Hero" Rick has tired to kill himslef on screen.

So why do people like it? Is it just euphoric edgelord "I'm so smart because I'm a nihilist" shit?

No, there are definitely episodes where optimism seems to be a message.

No.

While I like 1st and 3rd season of Rick and Morty that doesn't change the fact the show steal jokes, ideas and uses "references and tributes".

It would be a kitchen sink rpg like many others. It would have vampires, pirates, aliens, mummies, hogwarts and galactic empire. It is a random adventure each week with no setting consistency.

I don't think Rick's a nihilist.

He's more existentialist and absurdist.

Because it's a dark sense of humor that, in the best episodes, has you laughing at the absolute misery of others. It's a sense of scheidenfreude that is completely absent from most other tv comedies. It's just absurd enough to break your expectations enough while still making logical sense. The first season was the best.

Those are basically all the same thing.

I've never really been into schadenfreude. Maybe it's because I'm depressed myself and I know I wouldn't want other people laughing at my misery.

Not at all. Despite the fact that Rick is a selfish piece of shit a lot of the time he's also brave, smart and self-sacrificing when things go wrong. He's loyal to his friends and is willing to die for his family.

Morty is cowardly, stupid and weak to a great many manipulations, but he's also able to show intelligence and courage sometime.

The effort to save the day is heroic, while the fuckups and failures along the way are funny, especially to people that know every beat and step to normal heroic sci-fi.

>play literally any sci-fi setting
>rename all aliens and planets to shitty improv shmoopity foopity shit
>burp and fart a lot
>pickles

There, you have your tabletop game

It's a nice humorous tv show. It's not that smart. It's not overly stupid, but it's not smart. The average viewer thinks because there's a scientist in it it's smaaaart.

It's not as bad as Bojack Horseman. The misery is often surface level and an amount of nihilistic doubt is shown in the show to be a positive trait. Heroes are rewarded for questioning things and accepting that things won't always be good, while characters that take positivity for granted and try to force every second to be a happy one are often punished for it. It's basically "what if people suffering from depression are actually the ones who are right?" With a dose of absurdist scifi acting as a vehicle.

The pain and depression aren't the joke, it is generally played straight and shown as painful and hard. Rick's failed suicide attempt doesn't get a laugh track.

The jokes more run to absurd, slow escalation. A good example is when Summer (A teenage girl) is left in an AI controlled car that is told to "Keep Summer Safe".

The humor comes from her horror when the car kills an intimidating man for knocking at the window and talking to her, then when she tells it not to kill anyone else it paralyzes the man that comes to help the first (dead) man..

The humor comes from the car dealing with slowly escalating threats as Summer is horrified by each solution in turn, with Summer forbidding it from killing, maiming or horrifyingly psychologically manipulating people.

>because there's a scientist in it it's smaaaart
Please don't bully my Steins;Gate white coats.

Genius: The Transgression would give Rick style impromptu nonsense superscience, but it wants to be more of Venture Bros.

No you stupid faggot it wouldn't.

Alright guys, I'm convinced watching Rick and Memey makes you smart.
Run on back to /co/, you scamps ;D

Its basically the BAZINGA! of cartoons. There you have it, I said it.

>Those are basically all the same thing.
This confirms you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sum up on setting: for every ten thousand or so regular humans running in squirrel wheel there is an individual who experiences Breakthrough that warps their mind and personality and attunes them to supernatural force Inspiration enabling them to gently bend reality. Unfortunately it mostly produces fake superscience that self-destructs or goes rogue the moment ordinary human touches it much to frustration of these megalomaniac Geniuses.
Oh, and whenever humanity changes their stance on widely believed scientific theory it causes Maniac Storm when reality retroactively creates perfect proof of the now disapproved theory, giving you cryptids, aliens, elves, ghosts, otherworldly dimensions, you name it.

The first season was good because it was a Magical Best Friend show, and it was fun seeing a kid go through the trauma of a deconstruction. People liked Rick because he was defined by his relationship to Morty, IE being amazing yet dangerous and unstoppable.

After they decided they couldn't get away with deconstructing the setups anymore, they switched to doing bait and switch on character development and worldbuilding. This made people think it was deep despite it being bathos.

Rick and Morty's appeal is (or was) that it subverts expectations of what should be appropriate subjects and appropriate ways to approach these subjects in a cartoon.
Aside from that, I believe there's a cynical twist to the hamfisted memes and self-referential humor it shoves down your throat, as if they're trying to point out how patently retarded it is to get obsessed with something as inane as Pickle Rick or szechuan sauce.
I can't really blame the show if the lowest common denominator among its viewers latches on to that shit at face value.

>Maybe it's because I'm depressed myself and I know I wouldn't want other people laughing at my misery.

Hahahaha fucking piece of dogshit human being, how does it feel to know your mind's tearing itself apart trying to deny the reality that it sucks?

Now call me a heartless shitworm who gets his kicks through mocking the vulnerable to hide the fact that he's not really superior to any of them and does what he does to pretend he isn't among their ranks.

It's so-so as far as feelings go, unless it's something funny like somebody being hit in the nuts by a mundane object.

It fills the scifi wacky fun escapade in between Futurama cancellations.

>I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PICKLE MORTY
>I'M A PICKLE
>I'M PICKLE RICK

>reality retroactively creates perfect proof of the now disapproved theory, giving you cryptids, aliens, elves, ghosts, otherworldly dimensions, you name it.
Could you explain this again for us brainlets, please?

>It's a sense of scheidenfreude that is completely absent from most other tv comedies.

Other than Simpsons, South Park, American Dad, BAZINGA! and .... oh, I dunno.

people are just trying to sound clever. its a show with a bunch of dumb jokes. the mc cares about nothing (or at least tells himself that) and that makes it deep, whilst he's practically all-powerful. depressed right libertarians especially are drawn to it and miss the point entirely

>BAZINGA
>comedy

You fell for the fake laughter didn't you?

It's ok, it's a natural human reaction to laugh when others are laughing, even when nothing funny is happening.

>scheidenfreude
kek.
I think you mean schadenfreude. The joy derived from other peoples schaden (harm/mistakes/bad luck etc.). Derived from the German words.
Now I wouldn't point that out. But the way you wrote it, scheidenfreude. Scheide is a german (rather formal) word for vagina. Scheidenfreude would be the joy derived from a vagina. Which I found funny enough to point out.
respectful off-topic sage

God, Bojack Horseman fucking sucks. If I wanted to watch someone wallow in their own misery I'd look in the mirror.

Bojack Horseman is better at being sad than it is at being funny though (it's not funny at all). So really it should just stick with being sad.

I enjoyed it at first but after season 2 I was done. It was interesting watching what was essentially a bad person coming to grips with their poor behavior and moving past and above their old selves, but since that would be the end of the show he keeps on having too commit some sort of morally reprehensible act in order to bring him back to square one all over again and keep the show moving. Like when he goes to his ex lover's house in New Mexico after buying the boat, and it looks like he's discovering the joy of being part of a family. but then he just tries to get her to leave her family to stay with him and when that doesn't work he attempts to bed her 17yr old daughter. The daughter may have initiated it and the age of consent is 17 in the state but it doesn't make the act that much less fucked up just not illegal.

I watch it cause i like todd and mr peanutbutter

It's like WataMote for washed-up adults instead of socially awkward teens.

We used to believe there were martians on Mars.
We discovered that wasn't the case.
Boom, there is now pocket dimension on Mars full of martians who remember envying humanity for centuries and are now ready to launch invasion. They didn't exist until that moment, but now they do as do their elders, children, and evidence that they always existed there.
Of course, no one here on Earth would notice anything different, since there is no martians or Mars.

You fucking kidding me? Bojack is hilarious

Also, sorry for opaque wording. English isn't my first language. I did not intend to be confusing there.

The best reply in that chain.

Given the bleak background, it's often a very comedic setting. Kind of dark/psuedo-Brittish humor.

I like stuff like Rick and Morty, the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margrett, and Always Sunny in Philidelphia. I like seeing funny shit happen and I don't really care much for the morality of the people involved. I do also like shows that play with genre/storytelling expectations.

I don't know why any other specific person watches what they watch, but I'm sure they have differing reasons.

*burp* Morty listen to me

It's a lowbrow Family Guy + Futurama but with no heart.

I like this show.

It's funny when people get upset because I like this show.

It's hilarious when they tell me to go to a website I've never been to because I like this show.

>You fell for the fake laughter didn't you?

Nah, I can honestly say that I watched like one or two episode because I was hanging out with friends at that point.

In this context it would probably mean "The joy of partings" rather than "the joy of pussy".

So a widespread belief that's been proven wrong turns out true, but only for wierdo, mad scientists? Kinda cool. Sort of a reversed american gods.

Their's a podcast called RPPR Actual Play in which they used Monsters and Other Childish Things to run a group of Ricks & Mortys from the Interdimensional Council of Ricks. Each comes from a different exotic universe, with the Ricks serving as Monsters and the Morty's as their kids. I didn't listen to much of it, but it seemed like a pretty fun and novel concept.

There's an old Murphy's Law joke that goes something along the lines of...

"If an old credible scientist says it's absolutely impossible, then it's possible. If an old discredited scientists says it's theoretically possible, then it's possible."

That seems to be one of the principle on which 's world seems to be running.

>>>/reddit/

Verrrry good GM and invested players dependant to keep the absurd power level interesting and fresh without just falling apart.

Wait. Are you calling Family Guy highbrow? Got damn...

Hm, true. That'd also be possible.
But I think that would be more fitting without the 'n'. "Scheiden" as in "parting" usually removes the 'n' in compound words I think. Like "Scheideweg"

>says reddit and memey

Oh, god, you again.

It does.

Its called Paranoia. But on the Citadel.

God is real in R&M. Or at least the devil, and at least one afterlife, are.

Its just rule of funny as to what is true.

Yes and it already exists.

Drink a shitload of beer, think about the futility of existence, and run a game of Doctor Who Adventures

Terrible as an TTRPG. If you want an animated show that is pretty much tailor made for Veeky Forums it is The Venture Bros. Pic related, best show.

Love Venture Bros, even if it made every wizard player I've ever played with want to be DOCTOR BYRON ORPHEUS, MASTER NECROMANCER!

Gods are real in Planescape- although some factions would argue otherwise or quibble over the details of what constitutes a "god". They just have no power in Sigil, the central city of the setting.

Bojack is hilarious, pretty much none of the rest of the cast are.

a rick and morty / planescape:torment crossover would work really well

To be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.

>Would a tv show I really like be good for an RPG?
No. Generally no. Player's lack good timing, writing, and never want their characters to seem weak in ways they don't want. Which are are make a good portion of tv viewing.

>Improv. The Cartoon aka Rick and Morty.
Even more no. People suck at setup lines, and even more suck at taking setup lines and running with them. More than that most people what to instate what they think is cool instead of running with or adding ontop other peoples ideas.

the absurd violence is grating after a while and nobody important has died yet so its hardly absolute misery

>as if they're trying to point out how patently retarded it is to get obsessed with something as inane as Pickle Rick or szechuan sauce.
And yet they still made bank selling pickle Rick merch and cutting deals with McDonald's. It's just Family Guy for people who think they're too smart for Family Guy

No. It could be the basis for a good GAME, but as a setting for another game it wouldn't be great.

Dogs in the Vinyard system plus Eclipse Phase style plus Wonderland setting. /oldfellow

Someone made a Rick and Morty version of Maid that I liked. It's too bad that no one else seemed to care for it.

pastebin.com/u/MynameisMrMeeseeks

I was done after they killed Sarah Lynn. It felt like a stupid pointless thing to happen. It wasn't Bojack's fault, she was ready to dive out of sobriety at any moment, and like, Lindsey Lohan is still fucking alive. Killing her was just some pointless conflict to give Bojack another reason to feel worse.

The kids are all right.

>people hating on Rick and Morty
It's just fun and fresh enough in its execution for it not to get stale like the other shows. There's nothing deeper to it.
Stop trying to find complicated reasons to justify your like or dislike of the show.

>it's just fun and fresh
It was in the first season.

Rick and Morty would make a fantastic ttrpg, in the same way pic related would.

The problem is that no system would both capture the nature of the setting, and yet still be fun. It would best to run ideas like this in a freeform style, but

>Freeform

is a valid complaint.

sup /pol/(the donald).

>another r&m is 2deep4u thread

Confirmed for R*ddit.

That'd be more convincing if you were around here before the election, mr. reddit/pol/

>if I spout memes, maybe I'll look like le epic channer xd
Whatever you say, fedoraman. Feel the Burn, am I right?

t. having been here since 2011

>2011
Fucking newfags. Of course.
If it's not /pol/ invaders, it's newfags.

>replying to low quality bait

Man you're newer than quests are.

Epic meme my fellow channer, upvoted xDDD
I'll make sure to include you in the screencap on r/Veeky Forums ;)

kys

Man, people who came in later really love their shitposts.

Mate, if you're unironically using newfag as an insult for anyone who's been here over two years, it's obvious you're just a tryhard nigger.
Remember, everyone is a newfag unless you've been here since 2003.

You stay a newfag until you lurk long enough not to out yourself as being new as hell.
I mean, fuck, you weren't even here when Veeky Forums was made, holy shit.

>le ebin oldfag sperging out because his favorite show (intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor) gets called out as trash
>y-y-you newfag
Get over yourself, Jesus Christ.
By your own metric, you're more of a newfag than me.

>getting all teary eyed because someone told you you were indistinguishable from the reddit you revile
>getting this mad someone dared to call you new for being new
It's more about your choice of /pol/ and reddit approved discourse methods than the show.
The more you act like that, the more you make us indistinguishable from them.

The show is just assholes in space. A decent concept that I like retold every few years, but nothing groundbreaking. I honestly have no idea why you kids are making such hooplah about it.

>getting all high and mighty because you wasted a few more years of your life, as if it makes you any less of a faggot
>continue to invoke le /pol/ boogeyman, as well as using "us" and "them" unironically, thereby proving his redditfaggotry.

>The show is just assholes in space. A decent concept that I like retold every few years, but nothing groundbreaking.
It's a plebeian, low-brow concept that needs to have something interesting about it to be worth anything at all.
"near-omnipotent personification of what Reddit wishes it was going on space adventures with a self-identifiable beta" is not interesting on its own, it's not good on its own, and the sheer hooplah that is being made about it in the first place makes it even worse.
Not to mention that it's indescribably lazy and ugly animation, but that's expected at this point.

There is literally no reason to be up in arms about a thing you think is bad.
Additionally, not being able to enjoy the occasional garbage like assholes in space is a real handicap.
I learned long, long ago that well made garbage can be WAY better than technically good bland.
Just look at the mortal kombat movie. Fucking magnificent.

Also, if you are angry about the hooplah made over it, why are you making a hooplah over it?

Also, also, /pol/ and reddit are indistinguishable at this point. You are acting like both of them. Even in your own argument, you acknowledge the us and them bullshit you tried to pull that started this entire nonsense is redditfaggotry.

Also also also, you have no place saying anyone else has a high horse when you unironically use the term "plebian".

rick shows up fives minutes in and kills you characters

then he pisses on them for laughs

gg

>scheidenfreude

kraut here, i chuckled.