Where did wizards go wrong?

After numerous bannings their pushed format is still dominated by two aggro decks and combo is non existent

Meanwhile in the format where they go out of their way to destroy popular decks to make money off of pro tour the most dominant deck in recent tournaments only tops out at 6.5% of the meta share

As a person who has never played magic, should I play standard or modern? Modern gets me more wet with all the possible cards and decks. But standard seems more simple. Also how the fuck do I meet people to play, I'm an autist.

Is money not an issue?
Modern
Don't want to drop $600+ on a tiered deck and are willing to tolerate a less interesting meta?
Standard
Have more money than you know what to do with?
Legacy

>How do I meet people
Go to your local gamestore whenever they have an event. Or play online.

>implying that's a bad thing

>temur energy
>Aggro
I thought it was more of a midrange deck?

>playing Aggro (not even Mono-red)
> large portion of people at Flgs are control players (mostly grixis/izzet)
feelsgoodman

Wouldnt those statistics be effected by the fact that more decks exist in modern due to a larger card pool? I actually don't play modern because I have only moved into mtg recently and my local scene actually has more legacy players then modern so I have been limited to mostly standard/edh.

Energy was a mistake. Ixalan and Amonkhet are pretty good and a hopeful indication of what to expect in the future, but I can not wait for kaladesh to rotate.

WotC doesn't want combo to exist. It scares away both Spike and Timmy, and Johnny doesn't spend all his cash traveling to RPTQs or buying booster boxes expecting to get a mythic.
He also eats glue.

What about Edh ?

Shamefully Kaladesh rotates with Amonkhet, just like BFZ didn't let us enjoy SOI.

WotC's goal is for there to be two or three "best" decks in Standard. We've had Standard environments far more diverse than that (Ravnica-Time Spiral comes to mind) and tournament attendance went down during the period due to players not knowing what to bring or be prepared for.

>combo is non existent
Which is normal for Standard. WotC generally don't want combo decks in the format.

EDH is best played with four players. Find friends.

You can play Magic at a pretty low price, just don't expect to win tournaments. In my experience, the game is much more enjoyable in the lower tiers with worse, but more varied and creative decks.

>Combo is non existent
God Pharoe's Gift?
Revel in Riches?

If you don't think RAV-TSP Standard was the hypest shit don't even fucking talk to me about Standard.

It's like you wilfully misunderstand. I did like RAV-TSP Standard. But the data is clear: I'm in the minority. Most players want a clear meta where they know exactly which deck they must be able to beat, or otherwise, which deck to play.

dinosaur.

>and combo is non existent

>implying that's a bad thing

if you want to play degenerate combo then play pokemon/yugioh

I miss the day where the most degenerate thing you could play was Rain Dance Blastoise.

>Also how the fuck do I meet people to play, I'm an autist.
go to drafts

Hey, I play combo in standard.

>combo is non existent

As it should be.

There's a whole host of Legacy decks that are cheaper than Modern decks now, thanks to reprintings. Reanimator, Burn, Pox, etc.

pauper. not even fucking joking.
the format is way more fun then any other

>Was having fun making Grixis Control work during Amonkhet
>One LGS stops hosting Standard
>Going to other LGS means I get home at 11:30 or later
>Been working Saturday overtime every weekend

It sucks. I just want to blow up creatures, play draw spells and then having a giant water spraying robot punch them in the dick.

Lol they repringet nacle, abyss, void? Fukk yisss

Standard completely died around here.
Haven't played a game in over two months now.

Modern is less diverse than it appears. Sure there are a lot of tier decks, but they've been around for years. The meta revolves a bit like a wheel; as one or two archetypes get popular more people play the counter to it, then as that gets popular more people play the counter to that, and so on and so on. Modern also has the problem where post-sideboard, it often comes down to who draws their silver bullet first.
Based on Wizard's development and design time tables, we might see some answers to energy in the next set.

I generally agree that Pauper is the way to go if you want to play a competitive format on a budget. However, the format does have a problem in that it is pretty much an MTGO only format. The community that plays it at stores or other physical locations has shrunken considerably from where it was around 2010, and even if you do happen to find a group that plays it irl, there's still some confusion around wether you go by what MTGO consider to be legal in the format or if you use cards that have been printed as commons in physical sets and make up your own banlist, and so on.

>I like removing fun from the game
Ftfy