What's the dumbest thing your party did?

If you were a player and your teammates went along with an insane plan regardless of your objections, or if you were a DM and your party did something uncharacteristically dumb

>Playing Pathfinder, in a "Lost World" sort of campaign
>Enemy has a hoard of trained triceratopses (triceratopsi?)
>Snuck into the enemy's encampment, we stumble onto the massive gate where they keep their triceratopsi for the night
>"Let's go in there and kill them!" Says the bard. "they'll be screwed without their army of dinosaurs!"
>"Yeah!" Says the druid and paladin
>"Uh, hang on," says I
> Too late, the paladin swings open the door and they all charge in
>They get mobbed by like 25 triceratopses, bard goes down immediately
>I close the gate and book it

Turned out they just assumed all the dinos were asleep or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_4Czak_Fc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It actually wasn't that terrible in terms of outcome, but this one time

>Need to stealthily sneak into this one guy's house.
>The front entrance is guarded.
>But the local architecture emphasizes courtyards, which connect into the house. If we can get into the courtyard, we're in.
>But it's too hard to climb up the walls directly.
>But there are some other, easier to climb houses elsewhere in the city.
>So let's go climb up there, make our way across the rooftops, and jump over.
>Get started on that plan.
>Actually seeing the jump is harder than we thought at first (Read: GM told us the jump DC and we weren't sure we could get everyone across).
>What to do what to do what to do?
>Oh, I know. Let's steal a ladder, and use it to make an improvised drawbridge, clamber across and then drop down.
>Run back down off the roofs.
>Find a ladder long enough to work and steal it.
>Dodge the town guard while trying to stealthily move a fucking ladder around.
>Haul it up to the rooftops.
>Make our bridge
>Drop down.
>Only when we're inside and trying to dodge the guy's inner patrols does the party rogue say
>Couldn't we have just leaned the ladder and climbed up the wall without going over the roofs?

You should have open the doors, piss off and let the dinosaurs go wild.

They've didn't get the memo that opening scenario has opening reward.
So they proceed to wipe out the very people who hired them for their quest, since they wanted bigger reward. Or at least tried to do so and then a bunch of non-combatants beat them into submission (after the party decided it's a great idea to not only attack them, but have a 4 vs 17 fight) by the virtue of not being played by brain-dead greedy players.

You know its bad when the increasingly-despondent GM started telling the rest of my party how powerful the monster looked compared to them, and how many exits were in the room over and over as they tried to fight it.

Should be Triceratopes (as in "to-pehz") due to the greek root.

Love it

protecting a young whore from an angry mob in a realistical wild west setting

literally everything they do is pretty retarded

Start a game as a malkavian amputee who has no limbs, pretend to be a patient in a hospital, try to feed on the nurse, fail the roll and get shown on national tv as a proof vampires exist. Since I was from Covenant, not Kamarilia, they didnt even know it happened, so it started an apocalypse scenario where all vampires are being hunted with modern technology. My character was studied by scientists (tortured)

>Running Anima: Beyond Fantasy
>Players have to somehow sneak into a heavily guarded chapel, under which a secret vault containing a MacGuffin rests.
>They've got a map, courtesy of a retired thief.
>Warrior Summoner uses enchanted cloak to turn herself into a dog-sized spider, sneaks over walls
>Teleportation Mentalist(psychic): "user, where's the entrance to this vault"
>"Uh, underneath the church rectory."
>Mentalist: "I teleport into the rectory."
>"Are you sure? This place is heavily guarded..."
>WarSum: "Don't be stupid, just wait until I get eyes on things in there..."
>Mentalist; "Yep. I'm teleporting in."
>Inside that rectory: FOUR Inquisitors, each a level above them, and wielding blessed weapons.
>Mentalist barely survives, only avoids getting swarmed by angry zealots in the main part of the chapel because the WarSum distracted the entire congregation by convincing them she was a goddamned angel even though she wore at least two icons of a heathen religion.

I can always count on the Mentalist to be an idiot.

I wanna see an Oglaf of this.

This is golden

That might have worked, but with me being the only thing nearby they'd have just charged at me instead

I'll remember that!

I just started a campaign in the middle of a caravan train making its way to the city. The caravans had everything from food to weapons and caged animals.

>wraiths attack and the camp they stopped for that night is in disarray.
>I have all the basic weapon types available
>they decide to bail
>whole cinematic is thrown to the garbage
>oh well lol

Kinda long but you need context I feel. Also their is like, 3 major fuck ups I feel along the way anyways

>party picks up book with no pages
>some how comes to the realization it needs blood
>its a demonic book that needs blood to live (and loves win)
>tells party members it will teach them DARK magic that they can, admittedly use for good for their blood
>suspicions at first but the book says he is just a book
>they buy it
Fuck up One
>makes two members promise to protect him with their blood
Fuck up Two
>fast forward
>party needs to find the location of the slave ring and weither or not they really have a long extinct race in their hands
>girl they have was to traumatized and drudged up to properly rember what happened.
>Booke(the name of the demonic blood book) says I can get her memories if you preform a rituel
>everyone says ok but asks if their is any side effects
>booke says, their is a 50/50 chance she will live or die
>they do the thing
>girl turns undead
>but they have all the info they need
>but she cant die, in constant pain
>one party member dumps all his holy water to give her a slow, painful death (this came back to fuck him over)
>whole party is just like, wtf the book was evil all along?!!?!?
>fast foward
>necromancer comes back for his dad's book
>ambush at night
>they get their ass kicked
>one almost died
>one of the protectors gets KO
>the gnome, who hates this thing and the other protector, a LG Elf cleric decides to burn the book
>booke says thats a bad idea you need him and you would be breaking your oath
>gnome says idc and elf decides to break his oath after the gnome convinces him
>do the "are you sure?

>gnome says yes, OC idc if he dies its what he would do and it would be fitting
>say ok
Fuck up Three, this guy shows up
>lost initiative and they burnt the book
>Horseman says, well shit there goes my reason for being here, but you still broke a blood oath anyways, say instead of killing you do me a solid and your two friends who broke the oath can live
>fast foward they do the thing
>white rider is very happy and tells them as a reward he will give them a book
>everyone says no thats fucking dumb OOC who would acc-
>fighter asks for the best sword he can get
>white rider gives him a demonic looking blade
Fuck up FOUR

Dude says he is going to sell it, and its so cursed so I dont know if I am going to let him, and let it curse some one else and later on have it bit their asses or just soul bind it to him slowly corrupting him. Thinking more of the former.

>Party is entering the capital city of a local kingdom.
>The gatekeeper asks them how long they're staying, reason for visiting, etc.
>3 players just go with the "Passing through" routine.
>Player 4: "We're here to assassinate the king."
>The rest of the party's faces as the guard calls for backup and they get chased out of the city, threatened with death if they ever came back
>They were literally just passing through to restock before going to the next town over to deal with a necromancer problem
>No one has any idea why the fuck he said that.

Follow our chief villain into a bathhouse.
We all f course had to strip nude, leave weapons and everything outside, and ended up getting into an ugly fight with our main villain and his bodyguard.

>Playing a "Lost World" scenario
>Players do something that actually happened in "The Lost World"
What is the problem, exactly?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_4Czak_Fc

>one player receives premonitions in order to help guide party along storyline
>always end up going full on Thats so Raven and fucking it up
>one time are told the princess is going to be kidnapped and they'll be framed for it
>player - "Let's kidnap her first before they do!"
>wut.jpg
>they seriously do this and genuinely think its a good idea, but are caught in the process
>they lie low for a few days and just play dragonchess with her until the day of the premonition comes
>they think they performed a miracle, seriously pat each other on the back
>me - "Word eventually reaches your ears that an enemy agent assassinated the king. Oh and your bounty went up exponentially, as you are assumed to be with the assassins. One might even say you were framed."

And that's how we went into an evil campaign.

My sides!

great read. Was this online? I had doing split routes so much when I GM.

Omitted the fact that I was fairly certain our Rogue was a werewolf, on the night of a full moon, when we were trying to diplomatically retrieve a king's jeweled sword from a gypsy bandit leader.
INSTEAD of bringing this up to the gypsy bandit leader, I was in a tent with a couple of the other gypsies, getting stoned out of my mind on opium.

Long story short, we got the sword back to the king, and the only repercussions were that we heard there were a group of Gypsy Werewolves running around that particular desert a month or so down the line.

This one's not exactly group unique, I'm sure plenty of people have done shit like this, but my god did it leave me fucking bewildered.

>Trying to stealth in an echo-y canyon.
>Doing a pretty good job, but after a while I have them re-up stealth checks because they are moving deeper into enemy territory.
>Bard starts playing Mandolin and singing at the top of his lungs to try and inspire the party.
>Ask if he is sure.
>Yes.
>Party doesn't get what might be wrong here.
>Normally smartest party member encourages him because he seems to think I am talking about the Fighter wearing armor, and thinks that the bard will help counteract it.
>They get caught because they are blaring music down a canyon in the middle of enemy territory like fucking idiots.

To be fair, when they got caught and I told them why they were spotted so easily, they didn't make a big deal of it and realized it was their fuck-up.

Drifting a hijacked Jawa sand crawler. It worked about as well as you can imagine.

>party enters house
>they see a wooden demonic idol
>wizard1 is offended, the rest of the party believes in religious freedom and thinks this is nbd
>time passes and the house catches on fire
>party makes it back to the room with the idol as well as the exit
>wizard1 clears a path to the exit that will explicitly last one round
>party exits except for wizard2
>he is carrying a hostage
>"I cast fireball"
>on what? why?
>"I cast it on the demonic idol"
>pic related
>"it is demonic and I want it to explode"
>the party protests ooc
>"I insist on casting fireball, I set my hostage down and cast fireball in the direction of the idol"
>he casts fireball on the idol
>the path to the exit closes
>the idol and the house burst into additional flames
>wizard2 is now trapped in a raging inferno
>"oh no I'm in so much trouble!"
>he dies

Reminds me of a situation I was in a while ago.
>investigating alleged traitor with demonic contacts
>crawl through his dungeon, putting down various monsters
>get to his office
>Demonic Idol on his desk
>detects as magic, correctly identify the spell as magic mouth
>examine statue without touching it
>It's a Glaberzu
>Tell everybody in no uncertain terms that it's probably rigged with some effect beyond magic mouth and that if the demon he's in league with is in fact a glaberzu, we (5th level party) have absolutely no hope of defeating it.
>We've collected enough evidence. Two dipshits decide to go back and grab the idol.
>Magic Mouth goes off and greets the traitor, stating he will teleport in shortly.
>The smart members of the party and myself are already gone by the time he's finished talking.
>They fucking decide to wait around
>Glaberzu shows up and wastes both of them in one full attack
Pathfinder society at it's finest. It's good for a laugh every now and again but the game quality is bad. I'm glad I stopped playing.

Why didn't he just leave the wooden idol in the burning house? It would've burned anyway wtf

We needed to break into a stone mausoleum, so while me and another guy went to search for information, the three other guys went to go buy a keg of alcohol, placed it against the mausoleum, then proceeded to set it on fire.
The ensuing (non explosive) fire got us kicked out of town.

you sound like my party before during and after it happened

I might have ran too depending on how strong Wraiths were assumed to be and if basic weapons were even effective against ghosts. That still sucks to hear though

Did he give any sort of answer as to what the fuck was going through his head?

What does that story have to do with Pathfinder specifically?

It was a PFS game. Basically just random people I don't normally play with doing stupid stuff and getting themselves killed.

>Start a game as a malkavian amputee who has no limbs

Why was this allowed?

My players jumped out of the castle walls, 12 metres, no real reasons at all.
>gurps 4ed.
>big bad wizard teleports down and starts runing
>silence enssues
>ogre: i will jump
>what, thats a 36 feet fall
>ogre: he will get away if we take the time to run for the stairs, its fine, i got 21hp
>human knight: i'm jumping too, 19hp, i will be fine
>the single elf in the party says he's going for the stairs, then changes his mind and jumps too becaus acrobatics
>ogre takes 4d6-2, knight 3d6, elf 2d6-2 lessened to 1d6 due to acrobatics roll
>everyone gets knocked out
>broken bones everywhere
TPK with everyone bleeding to death.

And anons, everyone there was a veteran, they all know how falls work and damage escalates as we've done it way too many times to count. I had GMed to those fuckers for the last 6 years, everyone agreed as soon as we rolled the dice that it was just a dumb decision out of nowhere for no clear reason. They don't know why they did it, neither do i.

Amazing.

Who was more retarded: the player who wanted to play that, or the GM who didn't tell him no?

Ah, the good old 3 a.m. decision process

>L5R
>Party has been tasked by a jade magistrate to attend a wedding
>there's someone who is tainted among the people there
>Bayushi courtier who spent some time on the wall and learned that tainted peeps are burnt by jade makes some arrangements
>is invited by the bride to a spot of tea, because he is a cute tiny scorpion guy
>is the bride tainted?
>better find out by tossing the jade ring I have with me to her and see if it burns her
>this is not some really big breach of etiquette

There were a few dumb moments: I also had a dumb moment in that campaign, mostly due to the fact that I haven't played L5R before so no Idea on how my character would react to certain things...

>Enemy has a hoard of trained triceratopses (triceratopsi?)
Triceratips

It doesn't change when plural

Its been a while, i will try to remember accurately.

>Party being stalked by gnolls
>The druid was new to the system
>He is some faggot pothead
>Has a snake pet called "mr. Snakey" that he insists on doing everything with
>Party is camping
>I roll to see when the gnolls pop up, once per night, and its on his turn for watch
>He successfully rolls listen check and hears the gnolls spying
>The gnolls were not going to attack, they were just keeping tabs
>He wakes up the beguiler, who happens to be a coward, with his snake
>The beguiler screams like a girl because seriously
>Rogue wakes up, who is also a new player, decides to sneak in and deal with them himself
>After a few rolls he is literally one-shot
>Our 4th member, some obscure class that i forgot, was heavily wounded earlier and was still essentially incapacitated
>The druid decides to go in alone as well, and has continued to insist on throwing his dumb fucking snake
>Welp that didnt work
>The beguiler bails
>3 people get to reroll new characters and the beguiler keeps his character

I dunno if i was being too hard on them but i felt like they made a few really dumb decisions and i had to punish them for it. Also the gnolls shadowing them was a thing that had been going on for a while, they were not likely to attack the party in force but if they keep going in one-by-one of course they are going to take advantage of that.

Sounds like an improvement.

Either this happens a lot or you ripped this right out of the Elenium series by David Eddings.

You left out the best part, what happened after.

>Bayushi Courtier gets back to the rest of the party and drinks himself into a stupor in shame.
>Next morning the Jade Magistrate who sent them shows up and they are summoned by the Groom
> Party thinks they are heading to their deaths but can't bring weapons due to etiquette
Courtier sends his servant to the Jade magistrate to ask for back up
> Party about to reach the groom but are met by the brides sister and some of her men.
> Grooms men rush in and demand the party come with them.
> Jade Magistrates men burst in, cue three way stand off with the party in the middle.
> Suddenly there is commotion in the nearby rooms, party and assorted samurai rush in to se what is going on.
> Find the grooms personal guards slain and the bride standing over the groom's corpse, which shows clear evidence of taint, with a spear stuck in it.
> She has the jade ring.
> Bayushi courtier proclaims that he suspected as much all along and he provided the bride with the ring to protect her from the taint.
> Spends the rest of the day boasting about how everything transpired according to his plan
> He gets a promotion out of it and is appointed jade magistrate.

>Expecting from players to pull cinematic situation without openly railroading and forcing them to do so
It's almost expected they would bail. Tell me, what's the smart movie: get in a fight to defend people you don't care about and who probably promised you some meager pay-off in the end (and probably die doing so) or just get the fuck out, since that ain't your business when fucking ghosts attack a trading caravan?
I'd bail. And so would my players. Especially if they didn't know or expect supernatural encounter on their path.

No consequences for this one so far, but
>players steal a small flying boat from the local pirate gang
>boat is already named Providence, the pirates will notice if non-pirates fly a ship named that around
>party tries to come up with a new name
>8 int ranger suggests Better Providence as a name
>party goes with it, adds the word better to the hull with a shitty paintjob
I'm sure nobody will figure it out

>tfw you have a table full of orks

>players are searching out a wizard who is chasing down a powerful artifact
>they manage to track him down through a temple and catch him in the act of stealing the artifact
>it is revealed that the wizard is the lich that enchanted their weapons previously
>they skip diplomacy and immediately try and fight this lich
>asseskicked.exe
>player who still has 2 wishes, wishes that they were someplace safe
>the party appears in the middle of an elven stronghold city
>elves help them but tell them they can only stay for 1 week and must be escorted out of the city blindfolded and never return or tell anyone where their city is
>characters agree to the terms and conditions
>day 1
>the wizard, paladin and bard are working on skills such as cooking, falconry, and preformance
>the rogue and barbarian are drinking
>enter stereotypical bar character: cloaked man in the corner of the bar
>calls the two characters over
>explains that the elves are trapped in the walls of the stronghold city and that their tyrant of a king won't let them leave
>if the characters kill the king they can start a revolt and give the elves their freedom.
>rogue and barbarian think this is a good enough idea and decide to bring the wizard in on it to help them with the assassination
>wizard begins talking about confirming this information with other elves to ensure this guy in the bar isn't just some drunk radical
>deliberation begins on how to ensure this elf is telling the truth
>15 minutes later
>rogue's player OOC says "this is boring let's just kill him."
>wizard and barbarian agree
>rogue and barbarian sneak into the kings mansion
>rogue plans that he will shoot the king with 2 grappling hook arrows and take the dead king with him so the priests can't revive him
>barbarian plans that to slow the guards and frazzle the witnesses he will throw jars of scorpions he had collected all over the room and dump his soap bar collection
>wizard is waiting outside in case he needs to teleport in and help

>king is eating dinner with advisors
>rogue and barbarian find a vantage point
>rogue fires 2 arrows at once and manages to get the king in the head and chest with his grappling hooks
>begins dragging the king away
>barbarian begins MLB pitching scorpion jars at people
>king while being drug knocks over candles
>table cloth and kings clothes are now on fire
>barbarian dumps his soap all over the floor
>guards and advisors screaming in agony, slipping on soap, being stung by scorpions and burned trying to put out fires
>rogue and barbarian leap through the window and yank the king out with them
>kings burning corpse is being drug through town
>wizard uses illusion to make the king invisible
>rogue jumps into a previously dug hole with the kings corpse and the wizard uses illusion to make it look like solid ground
>commotion
>king's mansion is on fire
>towns people are gathering
>guards start looking for the outlanders who showed up conveniently the day the king was assassinated
>the wizard, rogue paladin and bard show up
>guard asks where the rogue is
>they say he must be off drunk somewhere
>wizard says he'll check 1 bar and the guard and other party members will check the other
>manages to persuade the guard
>wizard runs off and grabs the rogue
>dimension door to the bar
>tries to get him drunk as fast as possible
>sees the only people still in the bar are the bartender and the cloaked man in the corner
>approaches the cloaked man and tells him to tell the guards that the rogue had been in the bar all evening
>cloaked man pulls back cloak
>reveals to wizard that he is the demon that swore revenge on him a few sessions back
>laughs and disappears as the guards come to the bar

My party stood in front of the equivalent of a bomb about to detonate.

> Be in underground lair
> Encounter room has a giant crystal in the middle
> Crystal gets damaged
> Over rounds DM describes the ever growing cracking of the crystal and leaking magical energy as it becomes more unstable
> Crystal begins to vibrate as ghostly faces slam against the sides
> Party stands in foolish battle formation in front of the crystal
> My ass is at the other end of the room peeking out from behind a wall
> Crystal explodes
> Party takes crystal fragments to the face
> ButWaitTheresMore.billymays
> Ghosts, thousands of them
> Chases the party, DM uses RAW and only allows players to run in straight lines
> Players end up getting caught by the ghosts and gobbled up
> Since I had a head start I had to Indiana Jones myself out of there

>

More like Triceratrips! Check em!

Stupid people doing stupid shit doesn't really have anything to do with the system, though. There are valid complaints about the system, sure, but the players being retarded isn't its fault

>19 health
>Killed by a fall with maximum 18 damage
w0t

>I don't know anything about gurps
user, stop commenting if you don't know shit.

No, explain how 18 damage maximum can kill someone with 19 health

Because gurps is not D&D where damage doesn't matter until you are at 0 hp.
After taking a percentage of your hp in damage, you test HT to resist broken bones/blood loss/lost limbs and the like. The lower your hp, the more penalties to the HT test.
The party failed them soundly, were knocked out by the fail, and bled out while unconscious.

Not the user you quoted but on gurps you can go up to -5xHP, but thats not the point.

First; Someone who's not a snowflake adventurer would only have 10hp while said knight got 19hp, but this doesn't makes the knight better at surviving the fall as gurps fall damage is based on kinetic energy, so, the more massive knight takes more damage.

Second, major wounds happen on HP/2 damage, which for said 19hp, 11 would be more than enough, and a major wound in case of a fall for cr damage would maybe be a fracture, and certanly a HT test where you might fall unconsious, which is said to happen as everyone got knocked out.

My ranger thought she'd back talk the villainous sorceress as our party was hung up naked in her slightly kinky feeling torture dungeon.

Underestimated her a little, sorceress cut both my rangers tits off with her own animal skinning knife.

How did your party even get there? And that just sounds like magical realm shit.

Probably one of the many times they thought they reached a compromise with a person but in reality just went out of their way to do exactly what he wanted because they got it into their heads that their motives were completely different than stated.
>"Heyo king who we were told was willing to protect his city at any cost. We know you actually want to totally l destroy your city, so here's our deal: you don't destroy your city and we'll do this other thing for you that we were told you also wanted."
>"Sure...?"

Series of events chasing the bitch, ending up with a 'losing battle' against a death tyrant under her control. We were all knocked unconscious and woke up in her dungeon.

Wasn't intended to be sexy as much as scary, but how can you not just automatically think bdsm when the owner is a smoking hot older woman though?

Yeah that still sounds pretty 'meh'. It's not like you can't just heal that later anyway.

It was more about the shock and impact I think. And forever taught my character when to keep her mouth shut.

She did get her boobs regenerated back end of next story.

Was there any sort of indication that she was going to do that? Cause I'd tell the DM to fuck off if he tried that on my character.

Apart from me mouthing off, no.

Yeah the DM definitely was magical realming then

I think he just found the nastiest way possible to remind us the opponent was to be taken seriously.

Unless the guy is a sadist on the secret, I suppose

The whole point of magical realm stuff is that it's kept secret until you can inject it into the game.

Had a DM once who, sort of out of nowhere, that Gnoll women could be just as pretty as good looking orc girls.

Thought "Yep. There it is"

I mean, they could be.

Yep, there it is.

Pathfinder the system is distinct from Pathfinder Society the organization which basically exists to serve people who are too socially retarded to function in normal gaming groups.

>good looking orc girls
Yep. There it is.

I don't get it.

This is some really ancient pasta isn't it? I know I read this years ago.

Hilarious.

>3.5, playing a paladin of freedom
>a whopping 7 int, remember this it'll be important later
>party in old ass temple to Pelor
>old as in over 6000 years old
>after fighting a shoggoth and slimes along with a mirror daemon ala Army of darkness
>we find a book golem that is guarding the library in the temple, non hostile, but being 6 millennia old it obviously can't communicate in our language
>through deduction(see our barbarian throwing other books into it) we realize that we could feed it books to teach it our language
>turns out it can't just translate our language though, and we have to use a kind of Rosetta Stone tablet we found
>turns out it was asking up a phrase, which we figure out is a religious passage and we were to complete it to gain its trust
>for reference this temple was dedicated to the aspect of paelor known as the burning hate, his vengeful side
>so answering whrong would be a bad idea
>so of course my paladin is sitting there patiently trying to think up the phrase
>then one of what we considered intelligent party members just blurts something out
>it's of course wrong
>the golem gets pissed and shouts that he's a heretic and attacks him
>the other intelligent party member does the exact same thing, and obviously pisses it off harder
>they survive only through the fact that my paladin "took on their sins" as it called it aka allowed it to swarm him and let's the others escape
>Eventually came up with the actual response and gained the things trust
>My Paladin left to quietly wonder if he really is the dumbest member of the party as they eventually free a "redeemed" succubus from a prison(No evil detected along with it being trapped for literally 6,000 years as essentially a slave kind of forced his hand, yes I know the gm will pull the "lol she's ebil all along" but I honestly stopped caring after A few of those)
>The entire party is fine and we part ways but my paladin, after explaining what she was, is left dumbstruck by this

>Implying the guards wouldn't laugh it off and assume it was just an edgey joke.

>We're here to assassinate the king.
One of my players said almost exactly the same thing to the guards.
They laughed it off like this guy said they should because that's ridiculous. The other party members laughed it off aside from one guy who was a bit too serious who yelled at him to knock it off.
The party got their reward from the king. It wasn't as much as they hoped for. The player who "joked" earlier said it again, and then moved his character next to the king and used his sword to make a stabbing motion at the king's gut. So he killed the king. Poor king, he just lost his entire treasury to a magical thief two months earlier and the party was supposed to hunt down the dude, but no, the campaign is now a run from the law.
So the party escaped (all while grumbling at the idiot who got them into this mess) ran for the border, set up a mercenary company, fled to the new world to find work, teamed up with the thief that they were supposed to chase, rebelled from their country, went native, and became the rulers of a small nation.
It was a good campaign started by a very stupid choice.

Had a player dare an elf to shoot him point blank with a bow (he was a dwarf and got into a pissing contest with every elf he saw)

He figured that his armor class was so good that some random elf could never hurt him, even while standing still.

So I said "Ok, the elf coup de grace's you. He gets an automatic critical hit. Roll 22 fort save or die."

He died.

And that's why you should always know the combat rules of every system you play.

(you)

That pic is begging for an 'arrow to the knee' edit.

I'm glad you learned your lesson.

>Put a monster in front of the players
>It's a Rust Dread, a vaguely humanoid abomination that moves slowly, like a bad claymation creature, and rapidly deteriorates any sufficiently metallic substance that touches it, even magical
>Players encounter it and immediately attack
>The initial boot loses them some armour
>They successfully identify its properties vis-a-vis rust
>Despite this, they attack it again, this time with magical weapons
>They lose and/or cripple no less than three magical weapons this way
>One of them weighs the options carefully and decides he's going to attack it with his own magical weapon
>The players, having wised up a little bit, all protest loudly
>He doesn't care
>He attacks
>His sword is reduced to a rusted-off letter opener
>He informs me that he drives this into his own neck.
>Turns out he thought that his weapon having a biological weakening effect = being immune to rust, and that he blames me for breaking his weapon.
>This encounter took two hours. This thing was in the middle of an open field, and they could've walked around it at any point. I had an entire dungeon planned for this session.

Bard sounds like he'd love those Bagpipes of Invisibility from the Useless Magic Items thread

So wait, he killed himself because of his magic items being destroyed?

>you are chained, naked, in a torture chamber inside a dungeon
>evil npc owned of said torture dungeon speaks to you
>you insult said evil npc torturer
>the npc mutilates you

I fail to see how it could have been unexpected

It didn't end poorly or anything, it was just mildly amusing.

>party break into an NPC's lair
>kill off a few guards
>find a book
>investigate book, it appears to be somewhere the owner just writes down random notes, like individual words or diagrams or sketches and such
>I give them a smattering of words that that person might have written down, though without any context:
>"Midnight", which refers to the alias of an ally of the owner
>"Outreach", the name of a farming town on the outskirts of the island they're on
>"Grain", as the grain stocks are running low
>bear in mind I gave several other words as well and emphasised that these were all on different pages
>a little while later in the session a couple of them tell the party they need to go to Outreach
>this is not unusual, things happen there sometimes, but I don't know what they have in mind as there's nothing there currently
>party ask why
>they say they want to look at the grain
>I still have no idea what's going on, too much time has passed and I only threw in the notebook so they could realise things later on, so have completely forgotten about it
>they head to Outreach
>"We wanna wait in the grain store until midnight"
>"Uh, OK"
>Midnight rolls around
>"We don't see anything?"
>at this point I ask what they were expecting to see
>they fill me in that they had taken these random words from the book and combined them into a code
>Midnight at the grain store in Outreach
>end up throwing in a sidequest of the grain being poisoned

Just as well I didn't have the guy write down his shopping list, they would have invaded the general store.

Made the terrible mistake of running magical burst.
>"The strongest way to kill the monster is to burst!"
>PC ends up killing a room full of people on a monster way under their power level and party bickers afterwards in the wreckage

Thank god somebody said it before I did.

It's less what the players did and what ONE player did. And possibly me

>Be GMing dark heresy
>Four players
>One wants to play a psyker
>I suggest a mutant unbound psyker with ranks in forbidden lore, an actual heretic kept under control by the other players using an explosive collar
>he likes the concept
>Proceeds to spam his powers
>for any reason
>seriously, he spams them because his character is bored
>Summons first demon on spaceship ride to their quest, a decaying spacestation
>A giant man-faced spider who warps space to create looping corridors to trap people
>Spider terrifies players, nearly kills them
>Afterwards other players have Serious Words with the heretic player but don't kill him
>First mistake
>Later on, summons ANOTHER demon
>A strange blob of runny reality, that when it hits you erases your memories (read: talents and skill levels)
>Players crap themselves and backpeddle FAST
>Can't hurt it physically, instead blow open a bulkhead and vent it into space
>Players don't kill heretic player after this
>Second Mistake
>Later on, THIRD demon is summoned at the end of a fight with an eldar ranger and a woman in powered armour (don't ask)
>Have run out of cool OC demons, instead throw a daemonette at them
>Players throw eldar's spirit stone to it and run away
>Still don't kill heretic

At that point I had to end it, because of a bunch of unrelated factors due to my overambitious GMing and the campaign generally being derailed by ALL THE DEMONS.

Still, it was fun throwing the first two at them.

Why didn't any of them cast a spell? Or run up and punch it?

>Party is tasked with investigating a mage's laboratory on an island
>They find a greenhouse attached to the lab but the inside is smudged with green and purple muck and it's impossible to see what's inside
>Front door is locked and they break in
>Dead guy in robes is lying on the floor in the hallway
>Assassin tries to wake him up, he's cold to the touch
>Thorough check: He's dead and has black veins in his throat, foam at the corner of his mouth, and soot on his fingertips
>Conclusion I gave them: He shot a fire spell before he died of poisoning
>The rest of the hallway shows two doors, one is halfway open, a stairway upstairs, and the entrance to the greenhouse obstructed with purplish vines
>They go through the opened door and see the living room with a few tables and chairs
>On one chair was a book with a necklace on top
>Never checked the necklace of Health, but the book had information about regeneration and how creatures like trolls can't regenerate from fire and acid burns as it scars the skin
>They go back to the purple vines and hack at it
>They grow back instantly
>Wizard shoots fire at it
>The fruits on it burst with a poisonous vapor, Con save or get full 2d10 poison damage
>Dingbats had all the knowledge and hints and still didn't connect the dots

Frankly, i wouldn't either.