MtG vent thread

A thread to vent all of your frustrations with MtG. Whether they be due to where the gameplay is heading, because of the lore, or because of any other decision WotC has made lately. Heck, it might even be because of a decision they haven't made!

I'll start I guess, seeing as I'm not a faggot OP who expects others to finish his thoughts for him.
>The Gatewatch
Fucking why? Seriously, I tried to write a more thorough explanation for why this was a fucking retarded idea, but I just got more frustrated as I thought about it. Fucking how? How?!

>Wording
Fucking everything in this game comes down to wording, and I'm pretty fucking sure that at least 90% of the time it's not intentional either given how two almost identically mechanics can be worded completely differently in the database. For example: Treasures and gold.

>They are running dry on names for cards
Fucking Commune with Dinosaurs. Commune with DINOSAURS.
RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/four-rules-balanced-format-2017-09-29
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The Gatewatch
Avengers bucks, bucko. It's an attempt to have a more consistent cast to fuel the IP for potential movie stuff. It sucks but it's a smart attempt to cash in on a larger crowd. It's dumb because the movie ain't happening and the current fans following the lore ain't really on board and then the other half just hate Jace as concept because Mind Sculptor exists without really knowing the character.
>Wording
Flavor. Treasure and Gold ain't too much of an issue. Naga and Snake is though.
>They are running dry on names for cards
I don't really think this is true.

>tfw all the best decks are solved in days after the set release
>tfw netdecking
>tfw removal and evasion pussified because it's "not fun" which really is because they want to make the battlefield a safe space for plansewalkers

the only reason treasures and gold are different is because gold would break improvise, they are worded slightly differently to prevent standard from being nothing but gold and improvise

>Naga and Snake is though.
Why is this a problem? Fish and Merfolk both exist, as fo Centaurs and Horses. If anything, the Kamigawa Snakes should be errated to Nagas

It was reworded to make sure idiots like you didn't try to double dip on improvise with their gold. Apparently a good decision, given how many people can't figure out gold and treasure interact with improvise in (almost) the exact same way (you can sac the gold for another spell after using it for improvise).

Everyone complains all the time and I hate it. It seems like MTG players who actually like the game are the exception. Bitching about standard, bitching about reserved, bitching about PC culture, bitching over rulings.
It's unbelievable, I've never seen a community so universally negative. Being critical of something you love is understandable, but most people recently are coming off as petulant children.

Play the game and enjoy it for what it is. If you can't do that, move on and take your shit attitude with you.

Treasures and Gold are due to there being a wincon involving one of the two types of tokens.

I'm playing start your engines vehicles in standard and it's fucking great. I'm playing R/U Obliterate control in modern and it's fucking great.

It's easy to be a cynic, but I honestly think mtg is in a pretty good place right now.
I'm working through every modern Wednesday and fnm and it fucking sucks.

Why are 80% of the pirates niggers and women?

Sure I'll vent:

It seems that all Magic players do is complain about anything and everything. Their lives must be so incredibly charmed that they have nothing better to do than whine about their cardboard game and villainize WotC for apparently just trying to destroy them with a personal vendetta. And yet, apparently everything being just sooooo horrible. They continue to play the game. Huh, funny that.

Maybe they should crawl out of their basements and get real jobs in the real world to gain some perspective. Perhaps, maybe... just maybe... coming to the epiphany that they are being entitled little shits.

Are you sure that's magic players, or just Veeky Forums? Irl most players I've met are pretty chill and don't buy into the memes.

I'm angry.
Angry about people who don't play MtG trying to slide MtG threads.

Because they're the bad guys, duh.

Hahaha, he posted it again! What a card, this guy!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with MtG I have no complaints at all

I still have my Beta duals but still resent that we'll never see the MOL art printed because of a bunch of loser jews who didn't have the balls to compete in the real stock exchange.
I'm never selling that shit just so that those peopple can never have them.

Not game design's fault, that's the internet for you.
We've solved chess puzzles that were nearing a century unsolved, the only way a game won't be metagamed by the internet is if it can't be metagamed.

All I want is more sexy/beautiful women, more traditionally heroic looking men, and more illustrative artwork.
WoW:TCG, Legend of the Cryptids, etc. have worse character design and style but much better actual compositions that frame the characters and actions to look amazing while at M:tG we have shit like the new Macabre Waltz breaking Liliana's leg and changing the top of her dress for a bad composition that doesn't even fit the frame well, Samut looking like a terribly overdesigned 3D model they pushed past the facial animation rigging limits, and Strategic Planning...just look at that shit.

This, and I unironically expect WotC to not get it in time and get yelled at by SJWs come Rivals of Ixalan.

>Things I hate
>People who shit on brewers
>Smug assholes
>People who show their hand/card to passersby
>Being generally unsporting
>Not having any fucking fun
>Not being able to fuck Avacyn

Pretty sure it was more about how cards that create Treasures say
>create a colorless Treasure artifact token
While cards that create gold say
>create a colorless artifact token named Gold
Which is a silly distinction to make, but the game still makes it.

I haven't followed the fluff for years because it went downhill so sharply after Lorwyn and I feel even my desire to play the game at all slipping away. Partially it's just because I'm Vorthos as fuck and if I can't get invested in the lore I'm not really enjoying the product. Partially because the design space has shifted away from what I liked, to a realm where Exile effects are everywhere, Regenerate is too complex to exist, flavorless garbage like Prowess is evergreen, and Green (my color) just doesn't feel stompy anymore. Double-edged effects are rare, Planeswalkers are terrible design, everything just feels cheap and dumbed down and I hate it.

I've been buying pre-revision novels to try and get my fill of that old Magic flavor but it won't last forever. I don't want to fall out of love with this game, but it seems like there's not much left for me.

This entire post reeks of reddit

Sorry if those opinions hurt your feelings, friend.

They didn't, the post was just shit

>t-they didn't! I'm not mad! These aren't tears, there's just something in my eye!

Dunno how you're going to come into a "complain about Magic" thread and get upset about complaints you disagree with, but you do you kiddo.

>This post
user calm down
You're only mad because le olden days circlejerk, not any real reasons

>Gatewatch

I could complain about them for a max character count post but I'll keep it relatively short.

I actually liked the planeswalkers when I first started playing (as I assume most people did around the time) I like how there was just a couple in every set and weren't made a big deal of. I like to compare them to something like Lightsabers or Jedi from Starwars. The less you focus on them and the less you see of them, the cooler and more interesting they are. However, once Hasbro saw $$ they made them the complete heros of the franchise and explained everything about them which made them way less interesting to me. Imagining some dimension traveling wizard dude is pretty cool, having Captain America and the justice team land on planes and slap tentacle monsters until the problem is gone is gay.

Also I just fucking despise the name Gatewatch. That has to be one of the worst names you could have picked. If you look at other "superhero" teams you kinda get a gist of them on the name aka "Justice League" is probably about a league of justice. What do you get out of Gatewatch. They watch a gate? They are watchful? What the fuck. They named themselves after the Sea Gate (where they took the oath I guess) which just seems so stupid it hurts. I can't help but imagine every single scenario they get into.

>Don't worry citizens of Ravnica the Gatewatch are here!
>"hey why are you called the Gatewatch anyway?"
>Well it's after the Sea Gate where we took the Oath to watch over all planes!
>"wheres that?"
>Uh i-it's on another plane you see there w-was eldrazi a-and...

Also having your primary goal being to "protect every plane" seems a little arrogant and overly ambitious when your team is like a handful of cunts that can barely do anything on one plane at a time.

The power of autism

I generally hate everything WotC/Hasbro says nowadays. It always reeks of corporate and the sense they have no idea what they are doing at all.

All the major changes and announcements they did last year had me cringing at how obviously terrible the creative decisions were. Did everyone have a stroke and couldn't process time further then 1 week ahead of every decision made?

>hey guys people liked those Zendikar super rare lands nice job
>WOAH if people like this we should just fucking do this in every set right? Thats a great idea!
>but what about limited card pool, and diminishing returns, and...

I have no idea how that announcement they were gonna them every set forever got a green light.

The RL still existing is pretty retarded

Ixalan Game Day has been scheduled by WotC to be on the 1st of December. I am not shitting you here. Every LGS in the world is going to be closed for Ixalan Game Day. My LGS owner has told me of TO feedback threads on Facebook where people have just blatantly told the Wotc reps that they're all not going to hold Game Day for Ixalan because it's being held on a stupid day. The thread was closed because everyone was being negative. They could bring it forwards a week or two or push it back a week. But no, WotC refuses to do the obvious simple fix for this pretty huge blunder. Go ask your LGS owner about Ixalan Game Day, they'll probably tell you they aren't doing one.

*1st of January

Nah, Maro said the only reason was because Gold / Improvise would confuse players

Are you actually retarded? That has nothing to do with what said.

Why would LGS's be closed on the 1st of December?

Are you actually retarded? All the linked posts are about the reason why gold was replaced with treasure

And was explaining that most likely isn't what OP was complaining about.

January I meant. WotC has organized Game Day for New Year's Day.

>Can't be countered
So what do they expect us to do to not eat that free damage?

The only thing that bothers me about that is that Carnage Tyrant is clearly not exciting enough to be a mythic and that they were printed in the same set. Had one of them been printed in Rivals of Ixalan instead there would have been nothing to be upset about.

It's just another Lotus Cobra style abuse of heightened rarity for format staples.

racist mtg cards, huh?

>Seeing discrimination in everything around you
I'm sorry friend, but you're probably mentally ill.

Yeah, it's the same set thing that drives me crazy. It's just so lazy, how hard would it have been to throw some shitty trinket text on their shitty common green trampler nobody is going to play anyway? Plus the weaker card is clearly the bigger dinosaur in the art. Basically the thing I hate about Magic these days is how little the designers care about the game or the cards they "design."

Yeah Carnage Tyrant looks 3/3 or 4/4 at best.

I play kitchen table with eurobeat blasting on the background, which I cant do on my LGS

My kitchen table group is essentialy functionally retarded so I can only play high level stuff in my LGS

I opened Jace instead of Vraska at prerelease

EDH is slowly eating away my budget and I keep making decks to lend to people who dont have one

Some guy in my kitchen table group just flat out printed cards for grixis delver and he's so bad he couldnt find pictures for the while deck and used HoD commons instead. And planeswalker decks beat him. At least it helped me decide not to build it myself, gonna go with jeskai control instead

If I bring out ETron to play nobody wants to come near me, not even the proxied decks

At least edh in my kitchen table is fun as fuck, even if some people still have to read and re-read cards from their only deck

Why of many Women of Color pirates in Ixalan?

I'm from Czech Republic, pretty much everyone here is against rapefugees and Islam, feminism and other kinds of insanity in general, so it's weird to see it so strongly supported in some product. It just turns me off. Does it have a positive effect in the USA?

I dunno, how's it like shitting in the corner of your 3rd world mudhouse?

>the common jank has the better art

Why does this keep happening.

Because bureaucracy.
WotC is at that point in every corporation's life when they have the budget to have a gazillion departments with useless executives vampirizing millions off the company's operative costs, but not large enough for those executives to hire administrative personnel to do the job their charging for and get said departments to actually function competently with each other.

Artists are getting paid shit, they don't know what they're drawing, neither does the art director nor the creative director and everything's shoved into the grapic designers to make the art, MaRo's scribbles, creative's "lore" and development's rules text mix together somehow into a proper product.

It's also why we've had so many typos and shit lately.

>Literal one card infinite combo

>>tfw netdecking

>tfw the incompetent engineer is the happier, more successful person in all other aspects of life

>art
There isn't a single piece of iconic art in Ixalan. I have never felt this way while looking at a complete spoiler before. It's not a good precedent to set if you are trying to inspire faith in the consumer base.

>planeswalkers
Too many affirmative action literal whos mixed in with the tired as fuck Gatewatch losers. SoI was probably the last time we had interesting planeswalkers who were established in the lore. Bolas was cool, but that's a hard one to fuck up.

>limited product
I appreciated being able to buy the entire cycle of commander decks each year, but I got sorely BTFO last year and I still haven't completed this year's set. These should not be limited, considering the target demographic are typically turbo casuals. Bring back the fucking premium decks. That all foil sliver deck was probably the coolest thing they ever released.

>legacy
Stop supporting this shit unless you're prepared to reprint staple cards or ban them altogether.I

>Everyone complains all the time and I hate it. It seems like MTG players who actually like the game are the exception.
People like you are the reason the product suffers in the first place. Why put out a quality product if shit will suffice?

Why should they stop supporting legacy when there are people like me that enjoy it? Why should they ban expensive/RL cards? Because you can't afford legacy otherwise or what? I agree that they need to do a revision of the reserved list, but even if they don't(they probably never will) that shouldn't stop players from enjoying a format.

>day 1 oracle'd

>comparing engineering, where the endgoal is efficiency and reliability, with a game that's supposed to be fun, in which variety and self-engagement is supposed to be fun

>complaining is bad
Hi neogaf

>It's unbelievable, I've never seen a community so universally negative
don't play many videogames, huh?

>Play the game and enjoy it for what it is. If you can't do that, move on and take your shit attitude with you.

There are people that actually think like this and think they're good people.

>Also I just fucking despise the name Gatewatch. That has to be one of the worst names you could have picked. If you look at other "superhero" teams you kinda get a gist of them on the name aka "Justice League" is probably about a league of justice. What do you get out of Gatewatch. They watch a gate? They are watchful? What the fuck.
Well Bolas thought the same before he BTFO them

Pepík isn't a target audience for MTG. Wizards realized that the competitive scene is full of faggots, so they naturally started to pander to liberals

To me it's just bizzare.

The belief is that your current audience will still play it while you pander to feminists and blacks. It has not worked.

That Jace is perfect.

>I like to compare them to something like Lightsabers or Jedi from Starwars. The less you focus on them and the less you see of them, the cooler and more interesting they are.
Funnily enough this is exactly why I hate them.
They are obviously a premium card type ( always a mythic rare ), allowed to have overpowered abilities ( seriously, can you image any other card time making 3 1/1 tokens every turn for FREE? ) designed to sell packs.
Planeswalkers give mtg a distinct feeling of pay to win. Can't afford Gideon Ally of Zendikar? I hope you're not playing any white decks in any format he's in, because your deck will always be better if you have a playset of him.
Good for cardboard crack aspect of the game, bad for poorer players actually trying to play the game. Planeswalkers made me start playing exclusively limited, and even then they fuck it up occasionally.

I think it's unfair to put so much blame on the aesthetic shifts in the game. I think it's fucking horrendous that they are so actively against putting in attractive people in the art but I think that's just a shit-cherry on a shit-sundae.

The core foundation issue is the cost of the game in my opinion. Magic has a lot of problems but the one problem that breaks a person's mental back is the idea they're paying a huge chunk of money for a sub-par experience. Shitty people, conflict, bad art, rule lawyering, and obvious Wizards mismanagement can be endured because the game is just that good but the one thing people can't tollerate is a slap to the face they have to pay for. When you see that the barrier to playing at the highest level comes at such a high cost you're going to tell anybody to fuck off.

Personally, I had a good situation for a while. And I will willing to pay these obscene prices for cards because the environment was worth paying to come together. But then, some people left and some really repulsive faggotry crept in alongside some really nefarious sharking and I couldn't do anything about it and just wasn't willing to pay for that. Talking with the store owner he laments that such a negative environment has pushed away anybody with a sense of "goodness" to them.

But what can you do? You can only do so much in private conversation with people to tell them to tone back the shittery lest you poison the social environment of the store. The only solution is to flood the environment with really good people and hope they do not become corrupted by the faggotry but the problem there is that you can't even get the good people to stick around because they simply look at the price tag and say, "fuck that".

Personally I feel it's just me having played the game on and off since 1994 that turned me from the game three or so years ago.

But I've also gotten bored of fantasy and magic and such over the years. Sure not every set is heavy on the typical fantasy, but it still has that feeling.

Also EDH when it took off here in 2010 quickly turned into Legacy 2.0 so I've not been to enthused to play in the format that brought me back in after high school.

>tfw it's not cube

Rotation? DCI? You are so stupid.

EDH is good. Except when you play that some deck for the six billionth time. Then I feel like sawing my own dick off.

Ooooh you're my best friend, in a world we must defeeeeenddd.

>have board game group
>all super close and friends
>show them my old magic cards
>get really interested in it
>want to start
>"Do you just buy a box with every card like Red Dragon Inn or Dominion?"

A couple of my normie friends have really gotten into board/card games with the rise of co-op and lighter strategy games like Pandemic, Flash Point and Sushi Go. The problem is none of them grew up with TCGs, so they have zero interest in the game because of the business model. Can't blame WotC a lot seeing it is the base of the game, but really sucks from a personal standpoint.

The fact that people expect to get all the parts in a box is a good thing. Fuck 'RNG'.

Complaining isn't itself bad, but there is a lot of noise pollution that happens when everybody has a soapbox. If Wotc hears 1000 opinions, and 999 of them are shit, then Wotc never benefits from the good feedback, which stifles improvement.

The competent engineer is a brewer. The incompetent engineer is someone trying to brew when they're new at the game. A netdecker would be a jew that hires the competent engineer to build a product for him, then give him no credit for its creation. He's successful, but no one likes him.

You could try playing with something like Duel Decks, the Commander precons, or Archenemy Nicol Bolas and move from there to drafting or playing deck builder's toolkits against each other.

>rebuild all 10 guild's theme decks
>sleeve them up and put in a long box

Holy shit, thanks user.

>implying tournament mtg isn't about efficiency and reliability

>comparing tournament players to tabletop players

I'm pissed that cards are getting so fucking expensive so quickly.

I was looking to trying grixis amulet as a change of pace for standard and fucking scarab god doubled in price this week. also cards like ripjaw raptor are way overpriced right now.

also why the fuck is thoughtsieze 20 dollars AGAIN

>hurr supply and demand retard user
yeah i get supply and demand i understand that prices rise in response to metagame demands but fuck i hate feeling pigeonholed into the one deck i own because i don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for 12 different cards to taste another playstyle

Why are leonin cats? Why are aven birds? It’s stupid. Either go all in on making beast races animals or give them the proper name like Merfolk or Naga. I honestly wouldn’t be against making all Merfolk fish instead.

You're getting the same bright ideas as everyone else. Right now you should be looking at good cards that are not being played/sought after by everyone and their mother. Trying to build the same decks as everyone else is silly and expensive because your competition is EVERYONE ELSE. You should be looking for traditional/obscure foils for the metagame right now.

Ixalan is bad

RIP FNM promos, see you in a year.

Wizards pushing Masters sets every 6 months is gonna backfire eventually. They should just reprint eternal staples in standard here and there. It would solve all their problems.

I hoping to see more staple reprints in C19.

I just hate how they're dialing down interaction because how dare little Timmy not be able to cast his 10 mana giant creature and tap you to death.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/four-rules-balanced-format-2017-09-29
But that's the opposite of what they said retard

Interaction is much less efficient than it used to be. For example why can't red have bolt in standard? I'm not even a red player and I think that is bullshit.

Same set? They're fucking next to each other by collectors numbers. Wizards weren't even being subtle here.

>This thread is dumb redditors circlejerking about le sjws and le good olden days.
>No real criticism
I expected nothing less

I would like a physical game between kitchen table Magic and pro Magic. Target the board gamers that want to play the game, but also wants to not be at a disadvantage from people going to FNM with $200 standard decks.

They could fix pic related to make it better balanced. Not a perfect solution, but something. Any other ideas? Cost I feel is the #1 reason people don't play the game.

If people complain about cost they should've done research. You can play the game without spending much but you simply won't be competitive. It's the same idea as Warhammer, you can't expect to win if you aren't using the right tools, which means spending

>closed on New Year's Day
What trash country do you live in?

One is for draft, one is for Standard, I see no issue here

Are you literally retarded

You think redditors are the ones complaining about SJWs? That's laughable. They are the SJWs.