So uh... do we acknowledge Lovecraft's racism? Or just pretend like it never happened like most of his fan's do?

So uh... do we acknowledge Lovecraft's racism? Or just pretend like it never happened like most of his fan's do?

His presence is HUGE in D&D, almost as inseparable as Tolkien or Howard.

Calm down, tumblr

Take works as a product of their time. Applying modern ethical standards to art and culture of the past is just unhelpful moralising.

The best response to Lovecraft's racism is 'The Ballad of Black Tom' which is a novella retelling a Lovecraft story from the black villain's point of view

I unironically recommend it, it doesn't come off SJW or anything if that's what you're afraid of

If you found a nugget of gold in a pile of shit, it'd still be a nugget of gold even if you dug it out of shit.

Apply to life.

Is it because he's a white man?

I just really don't care

Yeah we acknowledge it. All is acknowledged.

Most of the stuff inspired by Lovecraft already leaves out tons of stuff, acknowledging that he was racist doesn't mean you have to keep it in every story that uses any of his material.

i swear you faggots are more zealous in the persecution of racism than any religious inquisitor in search of sin

Don't care, will never care.

It shows up little to zilch in his writing. Besides, it's not gonna make me racist. Just like how if I read Mein Kampf, i'm not gonna become anti-jews.

for what purpose? yeah dude was racist, but does it detract from his work? does racism detract from any work, regardless of context? should we flagellate ourselves for enjoying his works if we aren't ourselves racists? should we refrain from any work associated with unsavory ideas? what about violence- isn't murder worse than mean words? what about when we pretend to commit acts of horrendous violence for entertainment?

those who seek out clean entertainment will find themselves never entertained

It's kinda understandable, if not totally acceptable. You're allowed to enjoy a work without totally being 100% down with everything they say or do or write.
That's even how religion works.
>Es ist zu spät Mutter, ich habe alles gesehen

You would have to be pretty retarded to not be a racist in his time.
Now days you just need to take in your msm programming to not be.

What's this "we" business you fucking catamite?
Veeky Forums isn't a hive-mind.

we're not going to discard a body of creative work because Howard was a NEET with very obvious and public prejudice issues that turn up in his work.

nevermind him later expressing regret for the extremity of his views.

I acknowledge it. I just don't particularly care. It has no bearing on his artistic talent. Recognizing his talent and enjoying his work doesn't mean condoning his political opinions, either. They're two very separate things.

Lovecraft was so bizarrely racist that it's not even possible to take seriously. He literally thought everyone who wasn't a WASP from Boston was subhuman

Sohn hast du geräuchert das gras wieder

Different time.

Lots of people were racist then, and a lot of his writings were based on his racial phobias.

>catamite
You forgot their coprophilia, seeing as it is appropriateto the "discussion" it should be mentioned