ITT: Post the perfect example of a class from fiction

Hercules is the perfect example of a fighter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S1qkBr7Rj3k?t=7m41s
youtube.com/watch?v=B0_A9XWxV0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=syyIaW7s52s
youtube.com/watch?v=6Tbffj_04cI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No he's not, he's a barbarian. He fights naked and with a greatclub. Also that's Atlas.

>Known to fly into blind rages
>Wears a lion's hide
>Iconic weapon is a club
>Exceptional physical strength, but as far as we know it, was never formally trained

>Fighter
user, I...

Also
>Nat 20 memes
Fuck you.

I believe Hercules once held up the earth in place of Atlas for a day so he could get some sweet apples.

>never formally trained
He was trained (just talking about his fighting instruction) by Autolycus, Castor, and Eurytus.
As a martial autist i really hate the idea that any "barbarian" who comes from an uncivilized warrior culture is untrained. I don't even know where the idea comes from; we know "vikings" trained, mongolians trained, celtic warriors trained, etc.

Merlin is definitely a wizard.

Merlin is the easy choice for any magic class really, but especially Wizards and shapeshifters.

>inconsistent character sheet
>crazy old man
>known for hanging around a sword wielding dude to stand in front of him

I agree with hercules but he's very high level. Arthur is a better example for level 1-10

I've honestly been a fan of Dumbledore.

>Old
>Beard, hat, robe, etc.
>Magic

But more specifically...

>Fairly whimsical
>Sense of humour
>Can absolutely 100% kill you with a thought.
>Multi-decade plans involving child sacrifice
>Basically everyone who's ever seen him fight is afraid of him

Sure he's not the perfect wizard, but who is?

Say hello to your Cleric.
>churchy shit
>resurrection
>situational white magic spells
>weilded a hammer
>hid behind his party of 12 meat shields

...Like you didn't expect to see this.

It's a wrong assumption, yeah, but not a hard one to make when you're already thinking of barbarians
>barbarians lack civilization (whatever I think that is)
>civilization typically includes education
>barbarians lack education
>barbarians must only be good at fighting because of anger or raw strength or a trance or something like that, not training

Avoiding the obvious, I nominate this guy for ranger.

>magic music
>debuffs
>prioritized speed
>pretty squishy
>comic relief with a tragic backstory

I nominate Brook as our Bard.

Herkules was a retarded brute, he fits better in the role of barbarian.

I would say the most well known D&D depiction of the barbarian is combination of the Connan-esque, scantily-dressed warrior who ´d fit in the Bronze age and is known for tenacity, low cunning and brute strength and the Norse berseker whose battlerages were probably induced by meditation, being drunk, drugged up on poisonous mushrooms, some weird form of epilepsy, or some combination of any of the above.
In general, I woudn´t say the combination of these creative influences, portrayed the barbarian as some undisciplined, spontaneously acting warrior, but rather contrasted him, with the fighter who appears well-drilled and collected in battle and studies using weapons (D&D feats). Or something like that, this user() put it best.

Merlin's the son of an incubus, wouldn't that make him a sorcerer?

Pied Piper of Hamelin - Thrallherd

>Conan
>scantily dressed

I wish people who talked about Conan read stuff written about him. He regularly wore Aquilonian lamellar armor, iron greaves, iron bracers, and a helmet. He was only infrequently unarmored.

Elan Summoner and her Eidolon.

Vivisectionist Alchemist.

Druid.

What? Moses had "Staves to Snakes" in his slot.

Circe for Transmuter Wizard.

Can we talk about Koshey the Deathless for a moment?

yeah then he fooled Atlas into picking up the globe again

Ulysses/Odysseus as the prime example of a rogue, fucker bamboozles/seduces his way trough the greek world for decades and is pretty good with disguises

>held up the earth
The sky. He was separating the Earth and the sky, because if they got together their celestial lovemaking would flatten everything on the planet.

Yeah, Koschei's a good archetypal lich.

The archetypal lich, isn't he.

Now, what would Baba Yaga be?

Well, you've got hags who are mostly based on her (With some of the Graeae)

In D&D he would be a cambion or probably tiefling.

Yea thats pretty good.

no prizes for guessing the class

>Is a lich
>Has young living dauthers
?!?!?!?!

>That cartoon where Koshey is screaming at the hero "You can't kill me! I'm immortal!"
>"Fine, stay here being immortal".
>Cue to hero tying him to a column and walking away

Best Tiefling Fighter there is.

Turns out the Lichloved feat has even more benefits.

He's not undead.

Dude wielded a whip in the temple.
Hammer for peacetime only.

Didn't Hercules also use a bow on multiple occasions? Nessus, some other centaur and then those birds and most likely some other things I don't recall at the moment.
He seems to be proficient with both bows or slings and various simple melee weapons.

A ranger?

youtu.be/S1qkBr7Rj3k?t=7m41s

I don't even speak Russian but I love this cartoon.

Nausicaa had a more badass animal companion tough.

>unless San is his AC, which would make sense actually

Heracles was a master of all weapons. He slew Kyknos with a sword and wounded Ares (the god of war) with a spear, and shot down the Stymphalian birds and many centaurs with a bow, and yes his iconic olive greatclub. In addition he was an accomplished wrestler and managed to both pin the god of death Thanatos and heft the giant Antaeus over his head and strangle him.
Beyond that his rages were an unpleasant curse upon him. He was most professional using his vast mind and applying his tyrannical strength in flexible ways, like digging a canal to clean the Augean Stables.

If anything I'd say he was a Warblade.

Heracles being the iconic fighter would actually be interesting, in part because of those things.

Masters of weapons, slayers of monsters, raiders of cities. Greek heroes as the basis for Fighters would probably make the class better.

I do, and I'm just in the mood to enjoy this kind of stuff. Thanks!

But that's not realistic.

> (((Kyknos)))

Hercules isn't real.

The ultimate cockblock.

Oh fuck, that Armenian (??) Bogatyr? Fucking glorious!

I nominate Odysseus for the ideal fighter
>Commands a group of strong warrior, Telemachus in particular is bad ass
>Has out smarted a witch and a cyclops
>Has a legendary bow only he can string and draw and slew a bunch of chumps with it

youtube.com/watch?v=B0_A9XWxV0Q

Basing a character in a game of pretend off of a mythological figure doesn't tend to lend itself to realism user.

Main problem with this is:

Hercules was a demigod
Merlin was a cambion
Jesus is God

You're all forgetting the real iconic human heroes:
Odysseus
Lancelot
Roland
Moses
David

And? I don't see "realistic" as a central tenant for the fighter.

Fighters should get lots of options for heroic powers. Stuff that at high levels will grant them great moments of aristeia.

>lancelot
being a scumbag isn't a hero

Odysseus' great grandfather was Zeus. (At least on his father's side)

Damn it. I am slav, and I am still fucking impressed
>What about me?
>What about you? You're immoral! Live in peace/without bothering others.

Ah, and great grandson of Hermes through his mother.

I hate the fact that the Paladin is the class that is essentially the "leader" class as it where. It makes sense for the fighter to be the one that the rest of the party rallies around.

If your concern is with them being magical and shit and it tickles your autism just say they have an aura of command either born of their military training or just being hard-asses.

Resisting fear and buffing and providing morale support to the rest of the party should be the fighter's job.

>my cleric prays to himself
>my cleric is lawfull good but he will go into a fit of rage at the sight of a money lender.
>I hate authority so I will spend the whole game antagonizing the evil empire then cry until the dm lets me resurrect after the town guards kill me for being a shit.

Jesus was that guy.

The whole crucifixion and "betrayal" of Judas was all part of the keikaku. Keikaku means "plan"

Ranger

Can he really be That Guy if the rest of the party willingly follows him?

>Antagonizes the evil empire and gets resurrected
>Always gives the right answer
>Absurdly powerful

Jesus was the DMPC.

The money lender was using coins with the devil on them.

There's a reason why there was a tax revolt later on.

>There's a reason why there was a tax revolt later on.
It wasn't because there was a devil on a coin, retard

Iirc, Jesus whipped the animals out, and told the money changers to get out because they were using a holy temple as a market.
The cleansing of the temple was a lot more tame than Veeky Forums memes about. As for the coins, he was fine with them and what was printed on them (not the devil), which is where people get the phrase "render unto Ceasar."

The reason the Ranger class even exists.

Different tax, different coins.

The money changers took Roman currency in exchange for tyrian shekels, which were the right size and purity to be used as the temple tax.

Tyrian shekels were used because the Romans didn't want the Jews getting autonomy (even after the Tyrian mint shut down)

The coins also bore the image of Baal, seen as Hercules by the Romans, and Beelzebub by the Jews.

Well no, but the prevention of them minting the temple coin and forcing them to use money with Beelzebub certainly didn't help. They did start minting new half-shekels very early on.

Then he ain't no damn lich!

Have fun finding his death, then!

I would think of Achilles as a fighter.

And if murderhobo is a class, none fits the bill better than that guy named Samson. Seriously, I know it's meant to warn against what he does, but fuck that guy.

Kubo is my favorite fictional bard.

What would He-Man be?

Have you tried playing 4e?

Here's your paladin

>Achilles as a fighter
>not a barbarian

Never thought of it that way.

BEGONE THOT

Odysseus was a Greek hero of the "specialization is for chumps" school of thought. Or a Fighter with capped INT.

I found that guy

Śiva as a summoner.

>posting Tumblr shit

Literally THE Ranger

Rangers aren't Caltex that because they use ranged weapons, baka user

>thinks HAV is tumblr

Lurk a little longer

Caltex?

Shit. I can't come up with human magic users.

>Lancelot

Being some shitty French OC doesn't make you a hero.

Well, thanks for sending me on this journey of slavness.

I liked this one: youtube.com/watch?v=syyIaW7s52s
Where the Soldier plays the Tzar and the Zmei against one another. So what would the Soldier be?

>I will bitch about someone from one country adding something to a myth from another country, despite the fact that this has happened countless times throughout history and I am from neither country.

Doesn't invalidate what I said.

I don't know, he seems to have dumped his weapon mastery into his bow, who the fuck cares about shooting two at a time when he can stick two people with one arrow (or stick them to walls)

The movies were shit, but the Dumbledor vs Voldimort fight was GOAT. It's how two all-powerful wizards should duel

>transforms thousands of glass shards into sand

youtube.com/watch?v=6Tbffj_04cI

Nigga hes a barbarian. Beowulf is the fighter.

>Uses multiple kinds of weapons
>Is often too old for this shit.
>Never flies into a rage, always level headed.

>If the guy shows any signs of rage, he's a barbarian
>If he wears anything short of heavy plate he's a barbarian

God damn some of you are fucking stupid.

>Literal flies into a rage so intense he murders his own wife and kids.
>Fights naked 99% of the time.

I get that he would be a "fighter" in ancient greek culture but we're not comparing him to ancient greek culture but our own. Outside of WWE we don't really watch (nearly) naked, oiled men wrestle.

Incorrect.
>snuck out of the cave of a cyclops on some fuckin' sheep
>outsmarted a witch
>has a legendary bow and has virtually impossible accuracy with it
Odysseus is an archetypal Rogue.

Fine, he multi-classed Fighter/Rogue for the sneak/stealth skill and rolled 18s that he put into STR DEX and CHA

tips