/osr/ - Old School Renaissance - Safe Space Edition

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General!

>Delicious Troves:
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
>Online Tools:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp
>Blogosphere:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous Thread:
If an Orc horde takes over an Elven city, is it still an Elven city

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature
tsojcanth.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/how-i-hexcrawl/
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17308/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl
kickstarter.com/projects/extsr/frank-mentzers-empyrea-fantasy-setting-for-10-rpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>If an Orc horde takes over an Elven city, is it still an Elven city
I don't think that would be the case even in the Legendarium.

>Theseus's paradox
It's subjective, it might be or might be not

> Is OP the biggest faggot of all time?
yes

I feel like writing some random tables. Someone give me topics.

Treasure for Thieves

The first thing the players see when they enter the city.

Different wizard hats

>be me
>be autistic
>think about splitting my 3 classes into 6

So going from Fighter, Rogue, and Sage- what's a good method to splitting the classes while keeping their core role intact?

>Fighters
Can be Warriors (melee) or Marksmen (ranged)

>Rogues
Can be Rogues (stealth+traps) or Courtesans (social)

>Sages
Can be Sages (Healers+Support) or...?

I'm thinking something like Witches or Hex-Casters, to fit with the theme of support but being in another direction. What could the alternate support/magic class be?

The different wizard's hats that you see worn by thieves that you see when you first enter the city.

Wrong board

Also Cadence and Shiny are shit

>Courtesans (social)
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be real helpful looting tombs and dungeons.

Fluttershy best girl

> Fighter, Rogue, and Sage
What system are you playing?

Wow thieves who specialize in opening locked doors and sneaking and climbing? They're sure helpful while hexcrawling!

Wow fighters who specialize in fighting stuff? They'll sure be helpful when we talk to NPCs in the city!

Wow Wizards in an anti-magic shell? That's a useful class!

Obviously everyone has to be good at everything all the time, or else the game is bad! That's not MUH OSR

1d8 Thief's Treasures
1. Serpent's Key. An imaginary key that opens locks found in dreams.
2. Burglary Map. Detailed map of a prominent noble's mansion, complete with the routines and schedules of all the guards and servants and locations of prominent treasures.
3. Displacer Cloak. Allows a wearer trained in its use to project an illusory image of themselves within line-of-sight. Untrained users surround themselves with a halo of mangled half-images.
4. Dull copper ring. Outwardly worthless; conceals a poisoned needle and a pair of lockpicks made of flexible metal inside.
5. Lullaby-box. When cranked, plays a magical tune, barely within the range of hearing, that lulls the unsuspecting to sleep. No effect on anyone aware there is a thief about.
6. Counterfeit coins. Excellent quality, numerous different denominations, detectable without a direct examination of their metal composition only by agents of the Royal Mint. Made as part of a foreign plot in a war now decades past.
7. Kidnap Hood. Leather bag with a pair of eyeholes and some air holes crudely punched in it. Forced onto a person's head, it makes the wearer trust the person who applied it absolutely, and follow them anywhere without question. No effect on anyone who dons it voluntarily.
8. Forged documents and costumes. Sufficient to disguise the user as any of a dozen different governmental inspectors, officials, and officers.

What's the neatest way you've sacrificed your horse to prevent your own death in a dungeon, /osrg/?

I ate it, even his heart

Homebrew. I removed Wizards and Clerics and mashed them together. Works a lot better for this kind of game.

>sneaking
You mean like AMBUSHING and SCOUTING?

>climbing
Yeah that doesn't help in places full of TREES and CLIFFS

>They'll sure be helpful when we talk to NPCs in the city!
Yeah, it's not like fighters are the only class that actually gets a noble title at a certain level OH WAIT THEY DO

>Wizards in an anti-magic shell
And how often does that happen?

Cool. I've thought of doing something similar in the past. Care to share your Sage rules?

1d8 Urban scene-setters
1. False priest bearing a fake reliquary. Purports to be the knucklebones of Saint Igneous; actually just charred wood. Offering pilgrims entering the city the chance to touch them for good luck at a low, low price!
2. Half-dead mule laying in the mud, unable to move as its owner hails blows down upon it with a heavy switch. Thief brazenly taking shit from the back of the cart while its owner is preoccupied.
3. Piteous orphans, begging for alms from passer-by. Each of them has at least one major injury or deformity; missing limbs, weeping sores, etc. If the PCs are flush with cash at the moment they will single the party out for attention.
4. Town crier proclaiming new, ridiculous tax levied by local lord to pay for yet another pointless war. Beard length or number of windows per house or some shit like that. An angry crowd gathers around the increasingly nervous crier; there is a faint scent of revolution in the air.
5. Boorish mercenaries on bar-crawl, celebrating the fact that their pay was actually on fucking time for once. Menacing random passers-by with cheesily excessive collection of bladed implements, groping women, and refusing to pay their tab.
6. Funeral procession making its way out of the city to the graveyard. Weeping friends and family follow behind the casket as the low tolling of bells fills the air. This has been happening more and more often. There are rumors of plague.
7. Virtually nothing. Nobody stays out on the street. A single person dashed across the road, unwilling to stay in the open for long. You can feel eyes following you from the windows. Suspicion is heavy in the air.
8. Pair of wizards, arguing furiously over something pointless and/or comprehensible. Getting increasingly angry; sparks are starting to shoot from their hands and beards.

>sages
Magician and Priest. HMM.

see

If you're going to split them like that, having one which is healing+buffing and another which is debuffing+crowd control I think would work pretty well.

I decided to change how MUs and Cleric spells work, making them more of something you can do all the time similar to how other class abilities function. By changing the magic classes into more of a support role and giving them support powers, it removes much of the caster supremacy problems and lets the Fighters be good at ending encounters.

What are some inspirational sources for OSR/DungeonPunk players and GMs?

Comics, movies, novels, vidya, anything goes.

>Skills work well when they assist players with making decisions.
This is probably one of their worst highlights, actually. People who play skill based games tend to reference their character sheet, so in a way it's true that it helps them "make decisions" in a very shallow sense, but ultimately if they cannot find a specific skill on their sheet, they might not think of the task.

Even worse, though the former example is admittedly quite rare, a player is also discouraged from making decisions that are outside the realm of his own skill checks. When I play skill-less systems, people are doing a little bit of everything and constantly involved with the tables business. No idea is shamed or thrown away. In skill-based systems, I've received direct feed back, and myself have been on the players end of this, that if a player doesn't have proficiency/skill points in a skill, they simply won't attempt to do it unless forced or there is no draw back.

The fighter in the group might be able to help negotiate a peace treaty, but he has a -1 on his CHA mod, so he instead sits out the negotiation all together. He doesn't need to be part of it. Likewise, the wizard might be able to think of a method that would help disarm the trap, but even with any DM modifiers from good roleplay he has, he still have a +2 total to his Disable Device skill that he's untrained in, so he leaves it up to the thief player. Especially because failure at this random chance roll means death.

Skill systems in this manner become a crutch. Every time I introduce a brand new group to OSR from a skill-based game, players immediately take on a deer-in-headlights look because their sheets were informing their character, not they themselves. Compare this to the average story of people introducing OSR to children, where they pick up on it immediately and just run with it. It's like the adults forced training wheels on all their new systems after demonstrating we could ride bicycles.

Oh, and as for the "personality" stats as I call them, INT/WIS/CHA, I don't like them in my player-skill based games. They're noodly, vague, and it's hard for the game to give an accurate representation of them. I actually wind up replacing them with different words, like Magic Aptitude, Magic Resist, and Comeliness. Those at least have physical connotations in the game, and players don't stare down at their INT score wondering if the action they want to suggest is int 12 or int 13.

Personal aside as well: I don't think there's anything interesting about playing low int/wis/cha characters. In my opinion, nobody plays an idiot very well, and more than half of the game is thinking, puzzle solving, and NPC interactions. Why would I want a player to castrate themselves trying to roleplay a character that can't interact with a huge portion of the game?

Good work user :)

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_literature
1d4 has other tg approved media

Could I get some constructive criticism. The players aren't supposed to see this map, I don't really care if it's ugly, I'd like more functional/fun advice.

I steal ideas for monsters and dungeons from the Malazan series all the time. It's a fucking great series, and apparently started as the writer's GURPs campaign. Too bad they've never published any sort of Malazan tabletop yet, though I doubt it'd be very OSR.

The shivering moors' name is off-center. Other than that. looks really solid. This a points-of-light type campaign?

Thanks man, and I'd say so. Basically I've randomly generated the names of everything (territories, settlements & even landmarks) so I can come up with a weird "mystery" and take my time to figure out if it's true or not. They eventually become plot hooks that lead to adventure sites to specific places with plenty of weird shit to find on the way.

Usually I'll make a treasure map for a new group of players.

Those mountains seems very artificial in a "higher level area marked off by mountain border" way.

>People who play skill based games tend to reference their character sheet, so in a way it's true that it helps them "make decisions" in a very shallow sense, but ultimately if they cannot find a specific skill on their sheet, they might not think of the task.

This is my biggest issue with skill systems. I started out with tabletop playing Pathfinder, specifically fucking Pathfinder Society. I would constantly be referencing my character sheet, and if I didn't have some specific skill I wouldn't even try doing something. It took me forever to get out of that habit and start thinking of my character as a character and not a stat sheet.

Then again, this could all be because of Pathfinder Society and it's cancerous "min/max or else" attitude. Thank god for OSR

They are. I just doodled some blobs with different terrain types, used an autofill function and then wedged mountain ranges inbetween them.

It actually blew my mind playing LoTFP the other day, if we didn't prepare properly or did something irrational, our character sheets wouldn't save us, but at the same time "the game" got WAY more fun and involving.

Conan and Elric still continually wow me. I read Tolkien and Jack London because I like outdoor survival/wood wise stuff.

Anyone check out the White Star Galaxy Edition yet? Are the changes/updates worth repurchasing it? I own a copy of the 1st edition. I'm waiting on the hard cover option to show up before buying in.

I really like survival/traveling/journey stories, and I wish there was a Dungeon Crawl equivalent of this in literature. Like a band of dirty adventurers just trying to make a living by raiding lost tombs and ruins in a west marches kind of setting.

I would play in an outdoor survival campaign because I find the journey as immersive and fun.

Yeah it was pretty eye opening when my buddy roped me into playing a 1e AD&D game at a con and suddenly I had a ton of freedom and felt more connected to that pregen character than I ever did any of my Pathfinder characters. Haven't looked back.

Agreed. 3.x was a mistake.

What are the best modules or books on running outdoor survival campaigns/hexcrawls?

I find the idea very appealing, but I've never played or DMd one.

My personal advice is to read a bunch and see what you like about each one, the scenario and the mechanics (which should be done by a rules light, 6, 4 hour watch periods where players dictate where they go based on their line of site)

People always groan about the DL series for aD&D, but DL 3 has some cool shit in it you can repurpose for your own hexcrawl, including a steam cavern that connects to non-adjacent overland hexes in a cave network with an old dwarven city in it. It also has a cool tower with a puzzle that can show the party the location of an ancient city gate built in a far off mountain range.

You need a clean procedure, here are two approaches (rules light & rules heavy)

tsojcanth.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/how-i-hexcrawl/

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17308/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl

As for personal advice, you need to be able to entice your players through one. That means hooks, mysteries & secrets, rumors that are sometimes misleading and actual payoff (not just punishing brutality & micromanagement)

I have plastic tokens for rations, torches & water. Players will often start with 20 rations between all of them, I request that they just pool them as tokens, take them and then write them off after their exploration phase.

The biggest thing is that by itself, the setback of not having food isn't inherently exciting, it's usually preparing for excursions that's a lot of fun for my group. And that planning is for bullshit if I handwave that kind of thing.

I'm also a huge asshole about finding forage/game in the wild. Especially if they don't have the proper tools, (no ability check is required if they have a fishing rod for example, but if they are exploring tundra and want to do some ice water fishing without the proper equipment, forget it.

So I'm generating dungeons using Appendix A from the DMG, and uh, can anybody tell me if I'm reading this correctly?

So twice now I've rolled giant rats on a monster encounter, both times generating something like 10-13 rats, and I look them up in my trusty Moldvay Basic where it says Giant Rats have Treasure Type C

I go to roll up the treasures and both times I've done so I've rolled ludicrous amounts of treasure to be found on these rats. Is this supposed to be happening? Are giant rats normally supposed to be this lucrative? The goblins I rolled up the room across had like 8 electrum pieces between them.

>Yeah, I'm sure they'll be real helpful looting tombs and dungeons.

If you start with the base assumption that a Level 0 character is as competent as Indiana Jones (minus the Archeology skill), then yeah, sure, I can see it. Social skills are important in more ways than you'd expect in a dungeon, but they really shine in all the stuff that's not in a dungeon: taxes, bribes, buying stuff, selling stuff, finding plot hooks, diplomacy, rescue missions, and retiring to safety.

> What's the neatest way you've sacrificed your horse to prevent your own death in a dungeon, /osrg/?
Potion of spiderclimb in the horse. Used it to climb to a narrow chute. It couldn't follow me through; it fell to its death once the potion wore off.

Other game: ate it.
Other game: tied a torch to its tail and set it loose to cause chaos.

>I go to roll up the treasures and both times I've done so I've rolled ludicrous amounts of treasure to be found on these rats. Is this supposed to be happening? Are giant rats normally supposed to be this lucrative? The goblins I rolled up the room across had like 8 electrum pieces between them.
Yes and no. They are supposed to have that treasure, but it's not supposed to be ON them. You should think of treasure types as "liar wealth" as opposed to individual wealth. A rat should obviously have nothing on them, but a rat's nest might be the accumulation of generations and generations of giant rats killing goblins, kobolds, and low-level humanoids. Likewise, those Goblin's treasure might just be their left over wealth, or maybe that really IS what they carry on them.

There are a few ways to go about this.
1. They are not merely RoUSs, but they are semi-intelligent ratmen that carry clubs and adorn themselves in the treasure, with necklaces of coin.
2. They are a special type of magical giant rat that can digest heavy metals and convert them into solid gold/copper/silver/electrum. You can find it in their digestive system.
3. You can do it like this guy,
have it be in their nest rather than on their corpses.

Thanks for your help, I figured it would be something like the lair wealth. The last group ended up in a 10x10 room so I figured that room would simply be loaded with treasure. I'm actually having a lot of fun using Appendix A.

I thought it was kind of amusing that both groups ended up having so much treasure, so I decided to put an NPC into the dungeon, a talking rat merchant who will sell magical trinkets to the NPCs. One of the groups had a potion of ESP in their pile, maybe he drank some or whatever. Either way, does anybody have any good tables for odd magical trinkets?

Wolfpacks & winter snow has some neat outdoorsy stuff for running hexcrawls (although it uses squares isntead of hexes) and survival mechanics. Like you roll for weather conditions that affect PCs in interesting (IE mostly bad) ways, and when you move into a square you roll up the details of the terrain type; woods aren't just woods, each square of woods has its own quirks.

>taxes, bribes, buying stuff, selling stuff, finding plot hooks, diplomacy
You what class can handle all that and still be useful? The thief.

>You what class can handle all that and still be useful? The thief.
Oh for sure. But the thief is for shady stuff. The courtesan could be the legit version. Thieves for back-alley deals and dubious magic items; courtesans for invitations to dinner and mineral rights.

>not using thievery to steal invitations to dinner and mineral rights.
Use your brain Skerp

>Use your brain Skerp
Fighters can steal stuff to, user. We can go in circles all day.

But anyway, I'm just saying the Courtesan class /could/ work, not that it will, or that I'd use it. I mean, there's a reason I haven't written one.

I think that the key to mental attributes is that they should not tell you how your character acts, at least not any more so than physical attributes do. I was talking about this in the recent "4 Int" thread, but mental attributes should cover cover non-decision stuff--things the player doesn't directly control, like how many languages your character can speak, or whether they can learn a spell. It should never force you to make stupid decisions (which is lopsided anyway, because while you can certainly play below their capabilities, you can't play above them).

From the standpoint of OSR in particular, where much more comes down to the player, I think there are too many mental attributes, and I don't think they're particularly well-named (as their names do suggest that certain characters should be played as dimwits). With that said, I think Magic Aptitude, Magic Resistance, and Comeliness are far too narrow to serve as full-fledged attributes. I'd prefer to go with something like Wits and Rapport and call it a night.

Wits is pretty much being quick-thinking and aware in-the-moment. Having high Wits (and therefore having your wits about you) doesn't necessarily make you smarter than other people, but it makes you less likely to be taken by surprise and quicker to intelligently react. It is obviously most closely related to Wisdom, but it does kind of take a different path, and isn't necessarily something Clerics are going to have in spades.

Rapport, like Charisma, deals with social interaction, but by being a bit broader, it can also afford to be a bit weaker and less often applied to any particular thing. Rapport relates not only to how people react to you, but also how well you can read other people (since the latter feeds into the former). I believe that what a player has their character say should be the most important thing governing NPC reaction, but Rapport can nudge this in one direction or the other. A person with a low Rapport tends to rub people the wrong way, so they start off a bit skeptical of what they're saying. Meanwhile, people will tend to give a person with a high Rapport the benefit of the doubt. This is pretty much the way Charisma should work, but it can make that stat seem useless because it covers half as much.

That's mostly leaving out Intelligence, but I don't think that's something that we really need. For most things, you can improvise off a character's class and background, and you can lean on Wits if you need to. In the case of primary attributes for spell-casting classes (Wis for Clerics and Int for Magic-Users), I don't think they're necessary. You can just assume that a Magic-User has the necessary intellect to do what they do, while a Cleric has the piety to do what they do.

I feel like for Rogues they should be Theives or Swashbucklers. Thieves are all about traps and sneaky fighting, and Swashbucklers are all about social intrigue and acts of daring-do. One is about nobody knowing you, and the other is about everybody knowing you.

The entire point of naming them App, Res, and Com is to 100% divorce them from ANY mental traits or vagueness. All of those names are physical and exist within world only by design.

Wits is no better than Int or Wis. A player looks at that and decides "this is how intelligent my character is". Rapport is the same exactly problem. "This is a representation of how socially conscious my character is" is how the player looks at it. Meaning that if you roll low Wits or Rapport, you still end up with the problem of the "idiot character" that gets to sit out for 2/3rds of the fun part of the game.

Using names like Res, for example, instead of wisdom, means that this is a representation of the character's physical ability to resist magic, something that CAN be measured and has a direct affect physically (High Wis grants you bonuses to Save vs. Magic/Magical Effects, after all). The same with Comeliness. "This is how physically attractive I am in this world", and being prettier/more handsome does grant bonuses on reaction. App is a little more weedily than I like, but it serves it's purpose.

Again, renaming them to something that means the same instead of physical representations of how the world interacts through the character, I believe, is a mistake. After all, how wise, intelligent, and charismatic a player is affects the character, but actual strength, con, and dex of a player does not. Since OSR tends to be player-skill focused, I think we should do without dictating how mentally apt a player should or should not be.

BFRPG

>Wits is no better than Int or Wis. A player looks at that and decides "this is how intelligent my character is". Rapport is the same exactly problem.
I think there is a difference of degree, if nothing else. There are plenty of smart people who I don't think have their wits about them. At most, I think a low Wits character might be kind of oblivious, but since it literally covers rolls to see if you notice stuff, that just falls in line.

My issue with Magical Aptitude and Magic Resistance is what do they connect to? I can point to real life people and say, "He's strong; she's dexterous; they're intelligent." These things affect the way they move, look, and/or act. What does Magic Resistance indicate about a person? If it's just a disconnected +1 to saving throws, is it really worth having as an attribute? If it doesn't define people at all, why not just toss it out and have everybody of the same class and level get the same saving throws?

As for Comeliness, it's way too narrow. Like Charisma, it doesn't affect your ability to read other people or tell if they're lying (which can actually be a useful thing to roll, as you aren't there to try to decipher the NPC's mannerisms or facial expressions, or the nuances of their voice tone). Unlike Charisma, it shouldn't even affect many leadership situations (or at least it should affect them far less). And how attractive you are as a human is probably going to have shit-all to do with how you are regarded by an ogre or myconid or whatever.

I have done a similar thing, but tried to name the stats in a way that are not even interpritations of the physical world. Instead of strength, for example, I use Might. Might can be a big muscley guy, or someone who just knows bow to hit all the right spots for maximum effect. So, stats are a measure of game rule effects and not a measure of your characters physicality or mentality. I'm still unhappy with my not!intelligence though; "Conception." Spawns too many lewd jokes.

>There are plenty of smart people who I don't think have their wits about them.
Which is the text book case of what people consider "High Int Low Wis", but ultimately that's just a roleplaying option, not one that needs mechanics attached to it.

>My issue with Magical Aptitude and Magic Resistance is what do they connect to?
Their physical connection and interaction with a physical part of their world, which is Magic. You're looking at this backwards, I feel. Strength and Dex do inform decisions and movement, but they don't interfere with the player playing the game. No Wizard looks at their stat sheet and says "Wow, I have low strength? No battles for me". They say "Wow, low strength? I better focus on my magic attacks". Meanwhile, a Fighter with low Charisma, as I've said before, will say "Wow, low Charisma? I'll just stop talking", which is something you should not say in a roleplaying game. Even worse is when they decide to keep talking to 'roleplay' a low charisma and randomly insult people and make the roleplay that much less interesting. However, someone might say "I have a pretty low attraction score, but I think I can still talk to these guys and get them on my side."

You're looking at these stats that affect mechanics of a world and saying "If I can't tell everything about this person's personality from it, it should go", which is quite silly and a little reactionary I think.

>As for Comeliness, it's way too narrow.
. . .and? Mechanically in OSR, Charisma is the same. It only affects retainers, reactions, and how many you can get to follow you.
>it shouldn't even affect many leadership situations (or at least it should affect them far less)
Again, entirely the point. If you want your character to be Charismatic, roleplay a charismatic person. If you want them to be dumb, be dumb. You don't need something so wide, vague, and wormy on a sheet when the player can provide that portion 100% and it's probably better if he does.

1d8 Wizard Hats
1. Copper spire of the storm-callers. Trails grounding-wires from its wide brim to the ground. Functions as a lightning rod, both attracting and protecting from the fury of the sky.
2. Unhat of the dream-weavers. Deeply impressive, but nobody can quite recall what it actually looked like, specifically. Recurring dreams of its indistinct majesty.
3. Rabid hat of the flesh-crafters. Viciously attacks anyone but its wizard who touches it (the wizard it just lightly gnaws). Flies by furiously flapping its brim, leechlike maw.
4. Trellis of the garden-wizards. Light wooden framework covered in broad-leafed, flowering vines. Persistent rumors that the blooms are potent narcotics.
5. Servitor crown of the golem-makers. Half a dozen unnervingly long, thin limbs that it uses to fetch and carry things for the wizard. Mostly hollow, lighter and more fragile than it looks. Concealed weapons.
6. Nerve-spikes of the arch-psions. Surgically implanted, golden amplifier arrays piercing through the skulls into vital points of the brain beneath, allowing easier channeling of vril energies. Taking it off would likely kill them.
7. Pain-glyph of the Masters of Mu. It is forbidden for the peasantry to look upon the faces of the Masters of Mu. These hovering sigils, agonizing merely to glance at, ensure it.
8. House-hat of the wayward wizards. Contains extradimensional space consisting of a small, cozy bedroom/kitchen area. There's a trick to actually getting inside, known only to the wayward wizards and those they trust.

How about a Random Table of random tables?

Done already a couple dozen threads ago. Search 'd30 tables someone should write sometime' in 4plebs or something, that should get you it.

Okay, but what about chairs to go with the tables?

I like to name Int as Education or Knowledge. You can still be a smart but uneducated person, but it explains magic and language bonuses.

Here's my medieval-ish setting map.

Yes, it's Europe, basically. No, the map isn't accurate or to scale. It was drawn by a monk based on fifth-hand knowledge. The bits that are less dark are more accurately mapped (of course). Everything else is varying degrees of Foreign Parts.

Everybody is either
-at war
-recovering from a war
-plotting a war

There are no nations of X race. Elves have enclaves in the high mountains. Gnomes hang out in The Borders, but also turn up everywhere too. For everyone else, there's local-scale homogeneity but massive regional-scale variance. It's not important that you're a slugling, it's important that you're a slugling from Cangranal, where they speak like they're trying to eat a turnip and talk, and where everyone wears strange trousers.

The game takes place on the county-barony scale, so a map like this isn't really important, but it does give the players a good idea of who is fighting who, or invading next, or where people from Foreign Parts are actually from.

Compare to:

These are cool but you know that the Displacer Cloak is already a magic item since LBB OD&D, right?

I've only been playing tabletop games for a couple of years, and retroclones for even less time.

For people who didn't grow up playing old-school D&D, are there any major reasons to play the original TSR games instead of a retroclone?

So far, my experience has been that retroclones are easier to find (both in high-quality PDF and in print) and better organised. Having read through the OD&D and 1E books, I think I'd have a tough time figuring them out if I hadn't played Swords & Wizardry first.

>Having read through the OD&D and 1E books, I think I'd have a tough time figuring them out if I hadn't played Swords & Wizardry first.
To be fair, those are arguably the two trickiest editions, and something like Moldvay Basic is a lot more straightforward, but most retroclones stick tend to stick pretty close to the edition they were based on, so unless you're particularly interested in authenticity or a historical perspective, there's no reason to avoid them. Personally, I find Moldvay Basic easier to navigate than Labyrinth Lord (even if being split into two books is sometimes a bit obnoxious), but they're mostly the same. I've not actually played OD&D, but S&W has a far superior presentation. As for 1e, well, I'd go for Labyrinth Lord's Advanced Edition Companion, but there's some significant streamlining going on there, so it's not just a matter of differences in presentation.

I started with retroclones, since they seemed to be the best way to get into the old-school style of game at the time. I kind of regret it now though since clone systems tend to misunderstand, redefine or just remove parts of the original game which makes some mechanics somewhat confusing.

kickstarter.com/projects/extsr/frank-mentzers-empyrea-fantasy-setting-for-10-rpg

>250.000 dollar goal
>10.000 dollar pledges
Ballsy.

If it's a random encounter they only have the "carried" treasure types on them; this will usually be indicated by that type being in parentheses, but you can also learn which treasure types represent carried treasure.

If they're in a lair, on the other hand, then yes, certain monster types can end up being laughably lucrative and tb h that's fine. Getting out of level 1 shouldn't be a 1-year-OOC slog. However every room with monsters probably shouldn't be a lair; rather, if there's, say, a goblin lair it probably stretches over several rooms and one of these is the treasure chamber, with goblins in adjacent rooms having less treasure (although it doesn't have to be just their paltry carried-treasure SP; it's perfectly reasonable to decide that part of the goblin treasure is eg a gold ring that the guard captain is wearing stitched to the front of his hat).

>Ballsy.
Especially since he's already alienated Dragonsfoot.

Aw, no. That's fucking tragic, if this fails (and I call that likely) I feel like Frank Mentzer is going to end up being the bitter, butthurt type grognard for the rest of his life and blame "trolls" for his failures instead of his own inflated goals.

(Reposting from last thread.)
No hex outlines defeats the point of it entirely, 0/10.

This isn't tht big a problem in the woods, hills or mountains, but those farmlands and whatever The Bone Vale is have issues with being able to see the repeating pattern and the water and desert are just outright unusable. It doesn't even look that good, since the rest of the map is so busy they just look empty as fuck.

Also, those lakes are probably super salty, right? They've got no obvious outlet.

The omnipresent mountains also make no sense and look ridiculously artificial in how they neatly cordon off areas of the map. [ed. This was already mentioned.]

Also, you've got like thirty distinct biomes going on, multiple of which don't have any label. Are those forests up north just considered part of The Lunar Fields or the mountains? Where exactly does the Ebon Forest end and whateverthefuck's goin on between the Sunspear Canton and Ancestor Hills start?

Also, what's up with everything having "The" before its name up north? And the overly long names in general, really.

There's also a notable lack of islands, but that's more just my personal quibble. Also, you've got some unmarked points of interest like the shallow in Kings[King's?] Lake and bright spot in (the) Lost Rune Woods.

Also, the Emerald Wold being a conifer forest probably a week away from what looks like rainforest is kind of weird. Not to mention stepping directly from pine to savanna, I think?

>When your admin is a SJW
>Who bans a guy working in the industry from the discord
>Because he told a guy screaming racist and wanting evidence that a father is like his son genetically to fuck off
>Then proceed to lie about him in every way possible
>And still you're not safe because Trump is in office and a man putting on a dress still isn't a woman no matter who you ban

Thanks guys. I had a lovely time in your Discord over the past few weeks. I'm sure it's going to be a really nice safe space when you ban people for wrong think. I bet people of colour will just flood the Discord when it's safe enough and only through them can you truly get back to the quality of the past. An industry that was 100% white can't possible be as good as 1 black guy sitting on his iPhone between Yugioh tournament rounds.

Pics or it didn't happen. Also who cares about the discord.

That doesn't tell me anything of what actually happened.

Two people were discussing European politics, which went into the obvious direction. Kohme comes in screaming racist, is told to fuck off. Discussion ends with no real dispute outside of the discussion and topic changes to metal.

Few hours later Tipsta gets on and proceeds to threaten any one who thought the discord had free speech. Changes the rules to include safe space shit and demands everyone watch out for wrong think.

Then with a couple of furries makes up a bunch of shit that didn't happen to excuse the ban. Everything from "His tone wasn't acceptable" to "He was calling for eugenics, he wants to kill all the niggers".

It's really not very exciting except that the Discord is run by a SJW admin and a bunch of furries under him.

You're doing it wrong, but it's mostly just because you're referencing the wrong books.

The AD&D "Rat, Giant (Sumatran)" has Treasure Type: C, yes, and that is a fairly wealthy treasure type, but that's meant for the standard 5-50 rats in a wilderness encounter. Average 27.5, or 212%-275% of your dungeon rat swarm.

This is where the complications set in. To quote the MM:
>If individual treasure is indicated, each individual monster of that type will carry, or possibly carry, the treasure shown. Otherwse, treasures are only found in the lairs of monsters, as explained above. [In the % IN LAIR section.]
In other words, random encounters in the dungeon don't have treasure - it's only ones you meet in rooms with treasure indicated. (Even in the wilderness only 10% of rats have treasure to begin with.)

To complicate things further:
>Finally, it must be stated that treasure types are based upon the occurrence of a mean number of monsters as indicated by the number appearing and adjustments detailed in the explanatory material particular to the monster in question. Adjustment downwards should always be made for instances where a few monsters are encountered. Similarly, a minor adjustment upwards might be called for if the actual number of monsters is greatly in excess of a mean.
In other words, they'd have half to a third of the treasure.

But then!
>The use of treasure type to determine the treasure guarded by a creature in a dungeon is not generally recommended.
I was faking you out, because non of this is applicable in the first place.

Wandering monsters (20 on the Periodic Check table) don't have treasure. It's only in the CHAMBER OR ROOM CONTENTS table (15-17 Monster and treasure, 20 Treasure), leading you to V.G. Treasure where you follow the instructions there.
In which case a single hobgoblin gives as much treasure as a giant rat, but that's because it scales on dungeon level instead.

The Rules Cyclopedia has a way better organized spell list than its retroclone, an actual setting, more rules, and it is more fun to read. The only thing I'd need Dark Dungeons for is the easier to understand Weapon Mastery section there.

Thank you for the explanation, my friend. I hope that discord quickly vacates and is filled with nothing but furries and trannies afterwards.

Where's the part where this is relevant to OSR stuff? Fuck off back to discord with your hurt feelings and admin abuse.

>"Rat, Giant (Sumatran)"

That's a nice Sherlockian deep cut. I see they were reading more than Appendix N over in Lake Geneva.

Well, I backed it for the PDFs: it deserves it. But yeah, I think Frank is being awfully ambitious here.

I'm working on a system where Orcs have taken over modern European nations. Think Mordheim and Gorka morka in 1.

What sort of terrain rules would you need to make it fast to play but having some depth?

OSR games require only one class and that's Fighting Man. Spells and magic can be used via consumables. There's literally no reason other than secretly wanting to play 3.PF to have Magic Users, Clerics and especially Thieves.

>I'm working on a system where Orcs have taken over modern European nations.
hmn really makes you think of current events huh
hmn glad such a good idea isn't just disguised shitposting
really gets my noggin joggin

>Discord gets shittalked
>sudden wave of b8

3/10