Can you guys recommend a rule medium fantasy game that isnt dnd, warhammer, rolemaster or brp?

Can you guys recommend a rule medium fantasy game that isnt dnd, warhammer, rolemaster or brp?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14267.phtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hackmaster 5E

Great combat system, a slow and measured progression, balances melee and ranged and magic, and has enough crunch and depth to satisfy.

Focuses on the far more interesting rise from zero to hero, rather than hero to superhero.

Savage Worlds is a solid generic system and with the Fantasy Companion book and a little imagination you can make basically any kind of fantasy setting you want.

+Rules are are straightforward
+Easy to homebrew both mechanically and thematically
+Core Book and Companion present Fantasy elements "buffet style" where you pick and choose what you want
+Guidelines for custom races and magic systems
+Fantasy Companion has entire sections dedicated to making different kinds of magical items
+Edges and Hindrances make roleplaying an essential part of chargen
+Exploding dice

-Designed for pulp adventure style games
-Edges and Hindrances are deceptively easy to munchkin
-Health system is annoying
-Bennies are a mechanical incentive for roleplaying and that never ends well
-Default chargen rules by design mean starting characters are all nosebleed punks; you need some solid homebrewing if you don't want this
-Exploding dice

Palladium Fantasy. Decent setting with sooo many options for characters and GMs.

Con to this is that you will need to houserule a bit to make the game flow well.

The One Ring (if this is "medium" complexity, judging by your examples)

Has genuine love for Tolkien, combat system and travel are really intersting, the official adventures are incredibly good for standards of these things and you can have a fucking beer with Gandalf, which honestly is one the most satisfying shit you'll ever do in traditional rpg.

Mythras/Runequest6

Tell me more about palladium

Seconding this. A little omplicated rules-wise but highly rewarding when you learn the system, and certain elements can just be dropped if you don't feel like bothering with them like fatigue, which admittedly can be a bit of a chore to keep track of.

It strikes a very nice middle ground of fantasy. Mages aren't insane but are still quite interesting, Clerics are diverse and peculiar, and it's got one of if not the best bestiaries you'll ever see.

Blades in the Dark

Definitely on the lighter side of rules medium but it's certainly not rules light

Badly organized to the point it's a pain in the ass. Not balanced at all because Uncle Kev designs things for FLAVOR and ROLEPLAYING man! If its anything like Palladium RIFTS expect a horrible kitchen sink setting.

>"medium fantasy"
Is this even a thing?

>starting characters are all nosebleed punks
define this

Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures

Base chargen uses a point buy system and the starting number of points you get per the CRB is only just enough for competence in a couple areas. This isn't really a problem but the game is designed for playing as film characters, basically. If you only have 15 point, you're either only kinda good in a couple things or really good at one thing to the detriment of everything else. This can feel really disappointing because the game requires you coming up with some kind of backstory. And most of the backstory builders imply you're already a cut above the rest. To put it this way, you go in wanting to play Han Solo but start out as Greedo.

Really easy to fix though. I start players with 17 points instead of 15 and things always work out well. The game is still deadly but it doesn't feel unfair.

Runequest, Stormbringer/Elric!, Dragon Warrior (really nice British alternative to DnD), the Dark Eye, Tunnels and Trolls, Symbaroum

>-Designed for pulp adventure style games
How is that a con?

What is dragon warrior about? british dnd?

is there a system where you can be a warrior that uses magic? without being a shitty multiclass?

Some people might want something more mundane or gritty. If a system is designed for a specific kind of game style I consider it a con even if it's a style I personally enjoy.

Savage Worlds is my favorite system because those are exactly the kinds of games I like running/playing.

NotDnD that puts a focus on the characters and not the combat (combat will require the most houseruling). This can make the game difficult for some as it seems that most players are motivated by kill-it-and-take-it's-stuff but Palladium is largely character goal motivated.

There are few if any modules so inspiration will come primarily from reading the fluff and some home brewing. The setting is generic as they come but the amount of character options is insane; crazy amounts of races to pick from, some of which are unique in natural abilities as well as fluff, and a class system that doesn't make you feel like you're stuck to traditional tropes of fantasy/DnD.

Magic system is refreshing. Think mana bar style of play with a diverse range of spells and unique classes that use them. There are also psychic classes in the game with separate abilities and specialties that operate similarly mechanically to mages.

All in all, fantastic setting and character choices but it takes an excellent GM to bring the system to life and help the system flow. Definitely not the easiest system to learn or navigate but it is fun.

rule medium, halfway between rules light and rules heavy.

The Runed Age.

Dragon Warrior is really cool. It's a decent old school system (1985), and a pretty detailed universe roughly based on our world. The reedition is extremely nice (hardcover, good illustrations) and combines the two books from the first edition.

The universe offers a variety of interesting places for adventuring - explore the eerie ruins of Krarth, protect Ellesland from Thulean invasion, pacify the cursed land of Ereworn, remove kebab with the Selentine Empire, protect the Selentian Empire from eastern barbarian hordes, become a warlord in the Principalities of the Crusade, explore the sinister jungle of Mungoda...

One of my favorite settings is Lone Wolf's. Maybe the Lone Wolf RPG is worth a try.

Dragon Warrior is less of a fantasy fair than DnD. Characters are expected to be humans, elves and dwarves are extremely rare and not necessarily friendly towards humans, sorcerers and mages are feared and usually hated by the populace, adventurer isn't a noble profession - adventurer are viewed with suspicion (like any group of armed men that don't belong to the local lord) by the peasants.

This review describes it pretty well IMO: rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14267.phtml

Your preference is so vague that I'm just going to recommend Strike!

You brought this upon yourself.

+ Simple mechanics, uses a d6 with little math
+ Simple character creation, uses a binary skill system
+ Has a bunch of optional subsystems (varying quality, but they are usable for what they are intended)
+ Has a really fun class/grid based tactical combat sub system, that's relatively balanced (not that balanced, but as far as RPGs go, most balanced) with some pretty good character diversity.
~ Generic
~ Fluff neutral
~ Gives 0 fucks about simulationism
~ Not much vertical movement power-wise, it's mostly horizontal
- Terrible layout and off-putting tone in the CRB
- Needs brewing until more material drops.
- Needs a bit of extra work from everyone really, running "out of the box" it's kinda meh.
- The core system just isn't that great, not enough GM advice.

>Bennies are a mechanical incentive for roleplaying and that never ends well
What do you even mean by this?

Looking a your Pic, I think The Dark Eye could be something for you. It is a mostly medium to low fantasy setting that offers a lot of different adventures, places and storys. It is played with D20 and D6.

+Rules can be a bit difficult for newbies, but in return they offer the freest character creation I know from the systems I have seen.
+You can bee literally anything, Knight, Mage, Carpenter or Whore, the class system offers many possibilities
+If you like more realism there are rules for that, but you can too ignore them, without breaking the game too much, so its mostly your choice
+Offers a lot different talents and a absolute fuckload of perks for them, be it "Pottering", "Algebra" or "Heraldry".
+Often many ways to solve problems social interaction can be important, but you can also go full murderhobo dungeon scroller
+Figthing Rules are pretty decent, the advantages and disadvantages of different kinds of weapons and individual weapons and length distants make mostly sense
+Clerics are fun to play
+Pretty Diverse Set of (Human) Cultures. No, not that what triggers the /pol/tards, actually its pretty good done. You have Vikings as well as Arabs, Renaissance Italy and Medieval Germany, Amazons and Celtic Tribes.

-As well as the human cultures are done, the one of the dwarfs and elves tend to be a bit more boring, especially the elves are mostly elves + place the live.
-Fights can be a bit confusing with many participants, also if your players don't know the rules, they can be really frustrating. I had some newbies fight 30 mins against 3 Dogs because they asked me after every turn, what they should roll on.
-Magic is a bit complicated, there are only 3 or so offensive spells
-It has a fuckload of perks, advantages, disadvantags, talents, fighting styles, magic or clerical traditions that can be a bit difficult for starters
-Character Creation takes some time. Make sure, that everyone has atleast a basic idea what he wants to play.

Also, I would ABSOLUTELY go for 5th Editon, its the most easy for starters. The entire rules of 4th Edtion are longer than the german finance law, and since I live in this Bureacratic El Dorado, I can tell, this means something.

>DSA
>Rules Medium
You might as well recommend GURPS with all supplements

Runequest is pretty much BRP though

I don't know the system that well, but Reign might be worth a look. Its main mechanical schtick is that it has rules for running organisations, so there's built-in mechanical support for playing as the heads of a merchant company, or the commanders of a mercenary band, or something along those lines. The base system is ORE, the same system used by Wild Talents and Monsters And Other Childish Things.