What's a good 1-word class title for a mage knight? Trying to come up with something descriptive...

What's a good 1-word class title for a mage knight? Trying to come up with something descriptive, easy to grasp and capturing the idea of an armor-clad warrior who wades into melee battle with magic as just one of his deadly weapons.

Battlemage

Battlemage
contract Rune and Knight into Runeknight
Spellblade
SpellSHIELD
Spellplate
Baron

Spellsword.

Scion
Paladin
Templar

Knage

Tryhard

I'm avoiding battlemage because any magic is complementary or secondary to his physical combat skills.

Out of these I'm wanting to avoid most purely because they dictate or at least imply in the name the use of a particular type of weapon. What if my spellblade wants to use a mace or a whip or some offkilter weapon?

Runeknight might work, I was trying to avoid compound words and find a word in our existing language for a magical war champion, but in a pinch it will do so cheers for that!

Hmm. I suppose if I include fluff that would make the heritage/lineage of the class important then Scion might be the ticket. Thanks.

Armamentalist

Indecisivecunt

Hah, that's actually a pretty good one.

Awesome name for a Psion Knight.

Wizard

Seconded
It doesn't imply a literal sword, it's a portmanteau of sellsword. Similarly, Armsmage.

Why are people in your setting aware of metaknowledge like class names? Seems redundant.

Mine are just called Mages, because that only really specifies somebody who is capable of magic.

I mean, fighters fight in fights, barbarians are savages who fight wildly, paladins are clearly high ranking holy knights, rangers are frontiersmen with an understanding of the unsettled lands, clerics are in service to their gods, wizards have schools where they learn to cast stuff, sorcerers are dangerous beings with innate magic control from birth...

It's not that a setting would know class names, it's that Class Names are Class Names because they inform heavily of what classes do.

Lord

You know wizard and sorcerer don't actually mean what we use them to mean. Sorcerer is just a guy who does sorcery regardless of source and wizard just means "wise man". The names only mean anything to us because we have four decades of D&D and derivatives using them to mean that. I mean shit like fighter is so vague it could mean every class in the book because everyone fights.

I don't see how this contradicts my point, unless your setting doesn't have wise, well read men.

Mage. Is there a reason that mages in your setting can't also be martially skilled?

Gish

Well they don't really inform heavily, more vaguely and sometimes not at all. Wizards don't have good WIS after all.

Yeahthatmakessenseimeanifyouremovethespacesbetweenliterallyanytwowordsitcountsasjustonewordthat'showenglishworksandit'sclearlywhatOPwasaskingforright?

>being this autistic

Your personal autism is not an actual argument.

I HAVE HAD THIS SAME EXACT PROBLEM

Armafuge? Guerrofuge. Guerramentalist.

Warcaster

Fuck, of COURSE it's taken

>taken
do you think you can only use something if its a unique idea? I have some bad news.

You could attach the name to fluff surrounding it rather than the fact they're fighty mage guys. Arbiter or Highborn or some such

OP asked for one word.
Show me a real dictionary (hint: something that can't be edited by users) where "warcaster" is one word, and not two words stuck together.

Swordcerer

No but there is the whole copyright thing

if you're so wise, what would you suggest, dumb fuck? No one wants your autism, suggest something or fuck off.

Magus

Beefcaster

German has to send you into an autistic fit.
Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.

>a member of a priestly caste of ancient Persia.

no dice home slice

Textor is latin for weaver (textrix is female form)

Unless you're making money off of this then that's not really a problem

Baiya

You know that sword wielding magic users didn't actually exist in this world, right? If we limit existing terms to their traditional meaning, we are left with either mashing two words together or with making up a completely new word that nobody will intuitively understand.

>we are left with either mashing two words together or with making up a completely new word that nobody will intuitively understand.

how is that worse than using an old word that means something completely different?

Magiknight.

Because some words (let's take magus
Or magister for discussions sake) have a meaning in the real world that the majority of players probably don't know that much about, but could intuitively connect to a magic-user in a game world.

Furthermore, just mashing two words together lacks elegance and fails to create an identity for the class itself beyond the fact that they fight and cast spells (I guess I'm assuming a distinct identity for the class is desired, beyond generic fighter/mage)

The Salii were armed warrior priests dedicated to the god Mars

Combined Guerre (war) and Goetia (black magic). Guerettic? Guerretia?

Has Swordceror been suggested yet?

Pick something with in-setting relevance.

Make them originate from some specific region or individual, and base the name around this.

>pic unrelated

Huh, interesting. I've been having the same sort of problem.

I want to make an NPC class of warriors that are based heavily on Native American themes and ideas, but I don't want the class name to be something that is either factually racist or can be construed by hissy players as such. This of course has ruled out Savage, Tribesman, Native and the like and I can't for the life of me think of something that works to get the idea across without being insensitive.

FERROMANCER

ONE WHO PERFORMS MAGIC VIA THE MEDIUM OF METALS

Brave

Use what they literally called themselves: Brave

Ferroturge
Ferrofuge

I'd just assume that's some kind of elementalist that focuses on iron or somesuch.

>magi academics go exploring into dangerous territory and discover a portal to another plane
>of course the location is a deadly jungle filled with barbaric strongman warriors
>Expedition goes missing, presumed dead
>generations later new explorers discover that a new lineage of magic-blooded warrior titans has formed and consider it their devout duty to watch the portal like hawks until time immemorium

I wanted to convey the strong-but-magic feel, but you're probably right, should just call them Sentinels or somesuch.

>Lancer

Oh man I'm fucking dumb. Thanks.

Anything that is specific enough to capture what you're going for is a candidate for "sensitivity". I think you're going to have to choose between failing to capture the flavor you're after and running the risk of someone calling you a problematic shitlord. You know the audience more than I do of course, just my 2c.

Seidhr. Seidhman. Ergi. Runic

In this context, Sentinal sounds good.

Armiger, if the class is tied to bloodlines or bestowed titles.

>Armiger
FUCKING STOLEN

Neat, new words to learn. I'll have to remember Ergi so I can drop it on my party's Nordic-style Berserker at some point and leave him scratching his head.

I would suggest something like said, something based on the history of the setting.
Perhaps they should be named after a specific original group of warrior-mages, or after the type of magic this original group used, even though it's not always descriptive of the individual.
After all, terms like "paladin" and "magus" used to refer to specific groups in real history.

Get any good ideas OP?

Faggot

EDGElord

>Allowing someone in full armor to properly use magic.

>Restricting magic for arbitrary reasons that don't suit the class when you could pick something class-appropriate instead

Magus

Perfect

HoX

The digits and a solid point decree that you do this, OP.

Serious names:

> Vanguard
> Dragoon
> Hexer
> Warden
> Sentinel
> Maleficier
> Jaeger

Silly names:

> Lore-rior
> Sortilegier
> Sorcier
> Gish

I typically use "Warden" or "Dragoon" in my setting, although there's an order of half elven witch-knights called the Lambent Armigers who crusade in the name of divine chaos.

Really, someone who has both magic and martial prowess on his side is really just a sorcerer or wizard. That he knows how to disarm you with a sword is just extra; it's the fact that he's a wizard at all that's impressive.

Guys, guys, I got it. A sword guy that's also kind of a sorcerer?

A kniferomancer!

>mage knight
Guys it's simple, it's a Might.

We have a winner

If I'm not mistaken, that's from the Dragon Quest series; it's full of great puns like that.

Battlewijizzle

Mancer-at-arms

Shocktrooper.

Officer could be a cool one for the connotations for the world

Swordsinger

Blade
Lamp
Brand
Torch
Poet
Quill
Aegis
Guardian

Yes, that is in fact how English works. Especially in this case, as spellsword is a play on sellsword, which I'm sure you can find in a dictionary. Also, are you american? Pretty much every language I have tried to learn uses compound words and takes it to the extreme.

>swordceror

It's sorcerEr fuckwit

Post best examples