So my group is planning on running a M&M 3e campaign based on Hunter x Hunter and I have no experience with the system...

So my group is planning on running a M&M 3e campaign based on Hunter x Hunter and I have no experience with the system and how it works.

I was thinking of sectioning off 3-4 powers into each Nen type but I'm having trouble figuring out how to handle the disciplines, like how Gyo allows you to see Nen or how Shu (IIRC) allows you to enshroud your aura around an object to improve its innate durability.

Also, how would I go about translating Hatsu (basically superpowers that you develop over time) into this system?

Any help is appreciated.

Thinking of setting the campaign around the Heaven's Tower arc, when Gon and Killua are first introduced to Nen abilities, if that helps.

Other urls found in this thread:

hunterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen#Advanced_Applications
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gyo would be senses. I would also apply Gyo to ears and nose, for certain characters.

If you make characters, I advise you to download HeroLab. Even the free demo version will do because then you can make any character you want with Mutants and Masterminds 3e.

Returning to the subject of Gyo, HeroLab has all the powers you can imagine in the powers section, so you can get a vision power that counters concealment, for example. Or a vision power that lets you see in the dark and stuff.

For example, if you want to make Killua's shtick, you can make an alternate form "Lightning" in which he gains ranks of Speed, immunity to lightning and the lightningbolt power that he uses, as well as close-combat multiattack to represent his flurry of blows, with linked affliction Daze/Stun up to incapacitate against their fortitude or perhaps their parry.

best girl

Okay, that could work for Hatsu and Gyo but what about the other advanced techniques?

hunterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen#Advanced_Applications

>In
It would probably be a concealment power. Like invisibility, just for the aura.

>En
Remote sensing

>Shu
Probably a power that affects objects and increases their damage and toughness.

>Kou
Probably a damage effect that goes beyond the PL limitations but nullifies the effects of nen of all other passive powers. Such as increased toughness by mantaining the nen around you for protection.

>Ken
A form of deflection I would say. I would style it so that, when you use a defensive attack, your toughness increases instead of your Parry/Dodge.

>Ryu
Take the Power attack and All out attack. Now add a power point to it to make Ryu, which will increase damage output or attack precision.

Another thing Iw ould add is that the nen-users could have only a set number of techniques active at a time. They can use Gyo, for example, in conjuncture with Ten and In, but if they want to use Kou they have to stop using Gyo or In in exchange.

FIFY

Isn't Kurapika a boy though?

Read the manga.

Why?

kys

I don't see what the problem is.

>Also, how would I go about translating Hatsu (basically superpowers that you develop over time) into this system?
Literal superpowers as per the normal rules. Most hatsus are trivial to model in M&M.

My buddy is running a Hunter X Hunter campaign currently, but using a homebrew system my previous DM built, so I'm not sure how much help I can be, especially since I have zero history with M&M.

For the basic and advanced techniques, he basically unlocked them at certain intervals as you gain skill in Nen, with separate skills for the Hatsu's, with how easy it is to train each hatsu skill being based on your Nen type.

Based on what little I know of M&M I'd say pick and choose abilities in system similar to each of the basic and advanced techniques, and let everyone take them as they learn more Nen, so learn Zetsu early in training, which grants very minor healing factor and difficult to detect, Ren, I think would be next, which would be basic all around physical improvement, so forth.

For Hatsu's, if your players can describe why the particular ability they want would fit into their Nen type, eg Conjurer creates a clone, or a super gun, etc, but an Emitter can only shoot Nen bullets, etc, they get to get the ability cheaper then another type would. A different Nen type user could get the same power, but at reduced effectiveness and increased cost.

Additionally, a big part will be Vows and Limitations. If the player sets a fair limitation on a power, such as it can only be used at night or something to that effect, it can get additional abilities or a greater intensity.

The Limitation & Vow aspect is extremely easy to translate to M&M since M&M has a Limited flaw which can give you a up to -2pp per rank discount. However, due to PL limits, this only makes your spending more efficient, while a large part of the concept in HxH is that you can always take a shortcut to power IF you limit yourself enough.

Maybe you could make it so that Limited allows you to build that power as if you were one PL higher per rank of Limited

That's kind of what I had in mind, I just have only the barest knowledge of the system.

Not in the old anime.

i have no knowledge of M&M (since i despise superheroes) but i think the bigger problem of the system would be representing, the unnaturally huge physical stats, the characters begin with, like in the very start of the hunter exam they are forced to a fast jog for 100 km, in only a couple of hours like it's nothing so they already begin as superhumans even before touching nen

Y'know, that raises an interesting point about most of the characters.

Tonpa, Leorio, those three brothers, and all the other "weaker" participants in the hunter exam are all pretty fucking badass considering all the bullshit they had to do to get as far they did.

I know right. You should also think about the time they wanted to visit killua and right after the exam and to get through they had to push open some 10tons doors
and two arcs later guys of similar strenght get close to being 1shot
Anyway the point i am trying to make is that you have not only protagonists but a whole society of superhumans(by our standards) living casually amongst other weak humans and the dynamic it creates with many adventurers chasing their luck fighting monsters, recovering lost trasures,exploring lost ruins and uncharted lands etc , way before adding nen to the game.

Y'know, it took me this long to realize that the series never really started to explore Hunter activities like raiding tombs and fighting monsters until after Greed Island.

It also made me realize that the world of Hunter x Hunter is pretty fucked up when you look at the politics involved, especially when there exists a pocket nuke that can level a city.

I dont think it's more fucked up than the real world with the immence number of dictatorships and weapons we see in our age, its just that we see the world of hunter x hunter through the characters eyes without much sugarcoating (since its not the point of the manga/anime), unlike real life. Well its not all realistic with many fantasy tropes like the hidden wasteland city from where the spiders are, or kurapica's village of a unique and strong clan hidden in the mountains(before they were slaughtered) and many more, i think it conveys real life politics quite well especially with the last two arcs