I made this card. My friend says it's broken, I say it's not

I made this card. My friend says it's broken, I say it's not.

Who's right?

Dropping the conditional trample and making him one or two generic more expensive would help. As is, yes, he is absurdly powerful for only five mana.

It's basically Heedless One with Hexproof, except harder to cast due to multicolor and harder to get big because Treefolk can't spit out as many tokens.

Seems fine. Probably gonna be stuck as a 3/3 trample hexproof a lot of the time.

he would be balanced with no hexproof. hexproof and indestructible is inherently broken on commanders

by himself he is a 0/0
pretty shit for a 5 cost multicolor

Meren vs Saproling

>5 mana
It's terrible. In any format that matters, at least.

>indestructible
RTFC
You could word the power and tougness thing better. Also add maybe 1 generic to the cost, he's pretty damn good at 5. He's still a very swingy card. Maybe CMC 7, he'd be pretty nuts with something like Oerwhelming Stampede or Overrun

Really broken its to much like dungrove elder. Make it a 7 drop and remove the trample then it would be still strong but not op.

By the time that thing is usefull, you're usually dead.

OP here, I fixed the card according to your suggestion.

I basically tried to mix two existing cards, Dungrove Elder and Dauntless Dourbark, limiting it with multicolor mana and more requiring situational trample. This one seems a little weaker, but still good I guess.

forgot the card, I'm so fucking dumb

it's absolute shit

Make it power and toughness of each other treefolk card.
Make it so he get's sacced if you controll less than two other treefolk.

Yes you are.

Let me fix it:

"Some tree guy"
WRUGB
Legendary Creature - Treefolk Elemental

Whenever a treefolk you control is destroyed by combat, inflict damage equal to its toughness to target creature or player.

1: Some Tree Guy gains the activated abilities of target treefolk creature in your graveyard.

0/8

This doesn't make any sense colour and flavour wise. Treefolk aren't blue neither red (except maybe one), and they don't deal damage that way.

Lern2Format; this isn't Yugioh.

Tree Fucker 2WGB

Legendary Creature - Treefolk

Hexproof, trample

At the beginning of your upkeep, ~'s power becomes equal to the total power of other Treefolk creatures you control and its toughness becomes equal to the total toughness of Treefolk creatures you control.

4/4

There. It's in line with standard WotC syntax, it doesn't get fucked up by layers, and it's not totally awful. It's a decent Treefolk commander, but it still just loses to any competently-built EDH deck (read: one with board wipes). It's also in the set of colors that makes most sense for Treefolk.

>silly but efficent casting cost
>ability based on the least-useless part of the tribe
>pulling surprise mirrorwood treefolk reflection out of nowhere
Fine, you could probably make it 2GWRB and it would be fine. Still, it's a mechanically balanced and interesting card that gets twice as good with Doran.

Power-level wise, this guy is completely fine as is. He can probably have trample by default as well, avoiding the condition. Wording is probably fine as well, although it is a bit weird. Fine for draft because of how conditional it is, and fine for constructed (including edh) because he gets owned by wraths and is a 0/0 on his own.

Whatever card maker you're using is giving me fits, though. Use set editor.

Personally, I think 3/3 is more reasonable as a base, but that's a minor point that development would deal with. In either case, thank you for bringing some sense and proper ability templating into this thread.

OP here, you actually made a good suggestion. Cost may be silly but the effect is cool and in line with the tribe, even though Treefolk don't really have any activated abilities.
Now, THIS one is really interesting. Might rework this guy this way, thanks.

Ok, we might have fixed this fucker.

My goal is to make this guy decent even in my modern treefolk deck, and for the power level that thing has this might be enough.

That's fair. As it stands though, this is a decent beater if you have a big board (best-case scenario), or it kills itself on your upkeep (worst-case). I'm gonna make it a 2/5 for now since it's a Treefolk, and it'll only ever block as a 2/5 anyway.

Looks like mtgcardsmith. For reference, here's a mockup in Magic Set Editor. It's free OP, use it!

2 mana + legendary more than this card.

Adding hexproof makes it mythic. Maybe uncounterable while we're at it. /sarcasm

>Magic Set Editor
Cool, thanks!
So the toughness should be equal to 5+ the others, right?

I'm sorry but it feels like you're being trolled because that first version, while very ugly and nonaesthetic, wasnt "broken" at all. Like, what the fuck. Barring some crazy treefolk cards to pair with it in a standard environment,which wouldnt make sense anyway as treefolk don't lend themselves as well to this ability as more weenie creature types do, it wouldnt do anything in a standard constructed format. It wouldnt be a very powerful commander as its entirely combat damage and creature based (though it may be fun which is good enough). Obviously this has no impact in eternal formats or modern. Im not even sure that it would be broken in a draft due to the nature of existing of treefolk but a hexproof trampler that obviously would have the potential to get big is still a real card.

>People saying this is OP for 5 cmc
lmao edh babies

Unplayable weak in any format desu.

you need to reread the card. its not *=amount of treefolk, its *=sum of toughness of all other treefolk controlled. lowest this is likely to be with trample is 12/12

No, it would be 5 until your first upkeep, then change to JUST the total toughness. Same with power.
You gotta realize that most Magic players are SUPER casual. Like, statistically, most don't even know what FNM is. To them, something like that might seem really busted, even if it's terrible.

>My friend says it's broke
In the sense that it's unplayable maybe.

seems fine to me man, he's just a big beatstick

Seems totally fine to me, as far as power level goes. Best case scenario it's a big-ass hexproof trampling beatstick, but equally often it's going to be a 0/0 for five and be stuck in your hand. Also it only really has "partial" hexproof because you can kill it by simply killing all the other treefolk its controller has.

The first card is the best and most interesting version, but it is quite powerful. It likely would have quite a presence in Standard. I like it at 6 more than at 5, or 5 without trample (or without hexproof if the removal in standard is as bad as it is now).